• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Ninja Gaiden 3 - RE (PS3) ultimate ninja mode is NOT how you do difficulty

xuchu

813eb359-cb94-4cb6-ac88-6e18b05924a4_zpsce814ee7.jpg

I have always been a big fan of the 3D ninja gaiden games and have beaten NGB, NG2 and NGS2 on master ninja multiple times. Like most people I was hugely disappointed by vanilla NG3 and didn't even give razors edge a chance when it was released due to the sour taste and memory of the original version. Having played it casually early on in 2016, I found that they had made a lot of improvements incorporating a lot of NG2 mechanics, expanded weapons and an actually functioning steel on bone mechanic. However, all of the core problems were still there namely bland level and enemy design, badly designed boss fights, a strange focus on story and most importantly very large recovery times. A polished turd is still a turd and it took a 3/10 game to a 6/10. Still though, I had fun with it and decided to try out the harder difficulty settings once I had gotten a hold of the more advanced mechanics such as cicada surge.

HVQddwU.png

Having just completed Ultimate Ninja mode was an exercise in frustration and tedium largely due to very poorly thought out game design that is made all the more apparent when played on master ninja and above:

-Silly healing system with lack of any healing or ninpo items. The only ways of healing are doing steel on bone attacks (which doesn't heal enough even with a full 4 to 5 chain) using ninpo or saving at the inconsistently placed falcons. This means that after prolonged battles your health bar becomes shorter and shorter.

-Large no of moves being unsafe due to recovery times (even shuriken cancelling), this has always been the case on Master Ninja in the previous games, but it is all the more exasperated by strange input lag and unresponsive/inconsistent controls in key moments. I can't even count the amounts of times I've gone for an OT, hit the triangle button like 10 times and he simply won't do it. And of course I get suicide grabbed.

-I can deal with input lag in games like witcher and the last guardian where they are focusing on other things but not in a character action game where combat is the sole and only focus.

-Enemies are either extremely tanky (van gelfs), dodge heavy (alchemists) or block heavy ( most enemies including regular grunt soldiers). This in combination with large recovery times means that combat devolves into baiting steel on bone attacks constantly. I still get chain grabbed coming out of it though.

-One hit kill grabs, these were present in sigma 2 as well. Cheap then and it's cheap now.

-Stupidly high Karma prices on ultimate ninja: I understand they want players to make meaningful choices in terms of buying upgrades but I ended the game with only one level 3 weapon. This was with me constantly using SOB chains which is the best way of gaining karma.

-The health upgrades are the only real replacement for healing elixirs and you only get 5 in the whole game!!! You better save some for that final boss. In the WiiU version, you can't even use these mid battle.

-Inconsistent checkpointing. Sometimes you'll won't see a checkpoint for 10 waves of crazy enemy combinations including 9 alchemists three at a time. Other times you'll get checkpoints after a small wave of two or three enemies.

-Camera still simply can't keep up with the fast pace which has been a problem since the first NG.
-Framerate problems, while not as bad the WiiU version, are definitely present in master ninja and above.

Ninja gaiden 2 was also cheap with its non-stop IS spam but NG3:RE is just cheap for the sake of being cheap. While I did this legit, if anyone tries this difficulty jus do yourself a favour and be cheap right back at the game by:

-Doing the infinite karma glitch.
-Spamming 360T scythe which gives you I-frames.
-Run away from most of the battles on day 5, day 6A and day 8.
-Manually target helicopter missiles on either side and then the nose using the bow slow motion in order the quickly take down the endless stream of helicopters in day 2.
-You can instantly delimb black alchemists using the kusari gama but it's inconsistent and just be prepared to be grabbed.

- Actually scratch that, just go play Ninja Gaiden:black instead.

ninja.jpg

xuchu

Hopefully the ninja trials will be better and balanced but I'm not looking to try it anytime soon. Maybe next year I'll have RTTP:NG3 ninja trial edition.

each time I look at this in the bargain bin and think about getting it... i always think of feedback like these

and it seems each time one of these threads pop up my choice is vindicated

as for the trials... good luck. i believe the high level ones aren't clear-able without an online partner

Lt.Chips

I like NG3 and NG3:RE more than the average gamer, but I wholeheartedly agree Hayashi & Co. do not know how to make their games properly difficult. They sure do know how to make 'em cheap.

That said, I'm still waiting for the NG Remastered collection on the PS4...

xuchu

each time I look at this in the bargain bin and think about getting it... i always think of feedback like these

and it seems each time one of these threads pop up my choice is vindicated

as for the trials... good luck. i believe the high level ones aren't clear-able without an online partner

It's a fun enough game on normal and hard. Just don't expect it to reach the heights of the first ninja gaiden.

Type-Zero

Wow its really funny topic comes up when I was actually thinking of trying to beat this game on ultimate ninja mode. Razors edge is definitely the weakest link in the series. They fixed alot of stuff from vanilla but the core issues are still present and make it sooo hard for me to get motivated to attempt it. I beat all the ninja gaiden games on the highest difficulty except for ninja gaiden 2 since I dont have an xbox, and ninja gaiden 3 because its a hot mess. From enemies just dodging and being untouchable to no health potions and such. It also doesn't help that I ran into alot of soft locks. The soft locks mostly happen when the game fails to reward whatever little heath gained from Steel on bone in time before gettting hit. So the game gets confused on whether you died or not.

Such as shame, I really want to try to beat ultimate ninja...

OP, FYI, Bayonetta 1 and 2 have literally none of the issues you're complaining about.

Just saying! ;)

Edit: Also, you dodge fair attacks instead of blocking spam and dodging grabs to wait for an opening. But I haven't played an NG game in years

xuchu

OP, FYI, Bayonetta 1 and 2 have literally none of the issues you're complaining about.

Just saying! ;)

I know, I love Bayonetta 1 (don't have a wiiU for bayo 2) but they play differently to ninja gaiden games. It just depends on what style of combat I feel like playing at a given moment.

MightyKAC

I was willing to give this game a chance when I started playing despite all the hate it got and was doing fine in it until I ran in to THIS:

NG3_T-Rex_Boss.jpg

Now?

Fuck this game.

Fuck that stupid Dinosaur boss.

And fuck whoever thought fighting that bullshit battle would be in ANY way a fun time.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I agree with you OP. RE3RE is a great step in the right direction. Its still a heavily flawed game, but altleast its fun to play casually.

Generally speaking, i think Ninja Gaiden is pretty much done, i think Team Ninja generally have no real chops to make a core Ninja Gaiden game at this point, which is why i am rooting them on for Ni Oh.

They can bring out DOA6 any time though...any time now....

I agree with you OP. RE3RE is a great step in the right direction. Its still a heavily flawed game, but altleast its fun to play casually.

Generally speaking, i think Ninja Gaiden is pretty much done, i think Team Ninja generally have no real chops to make a core Ninja Gaiden game at this point, which is why i am rooting them on for Ni Oh.

They can bring out DOA6 any time though...any time now....

Nah man, one more try- Ninja Gaiden 4.

What's the most important thing that contribute to Nioh's largely positive reception? Implementing of fan feedback.

Release early demos of NG4 and get feedback, the first demo could be a complete piece of shit and that's fine as Long as they implement the right changes in a follow up demo and show it to people.

xuchu

Wow its really funny topic comes up when I was actually thinking of trying to beat this game on ultimate ninja mode. Razors edge is definitely the weakest link in the series. They fixed alot of stuff from vanilla but the core issues are still present and make it sooo hard for me to get motivated to attempt it. I beat all the ninja gaiden games on the highest difficulty except for ninja gaiden 2 since I dont have an xbox, and ninja gaiden 3 because its a hot mess. From enemies just dodging and being untouchable to no health potions and such. It also doesn't help that I ran into alot of soft locks. The soft locks mostly happen when the game fails to reward whatever little heath gained from Steel on bone in time before gettting hit. So the game gets confused on whether you died or not.

Yeah I ran into my fair share of crashes and falling through the world and such as well. But then again I've dealt with crashes in NG:B too. That's probably due to my 360 though. If you were capable of beating the others on master ninja, you'll be able to beat this one on UN too.

thelastword

Banned

This is a strange statement since the current series only have 3 games proper.

Ninja Gaiden/Black /Sigma (XBOX) (PS3)
Ninja Gaiden 2/Sigma 2 (360) (PS3)
Ninja Gaiden 3/ Razors Edge (360/PS3)

If you haven't played the last two you would have only played the one minimum. Hell, if it is that I misunderstood you and you did play Sigma 2 on PS3, I'd still say you need to give NG2 a whirl on a cheap 360 or on XB1 BC (hopefully it's on BC)....

But yes, all the games are very playable and awesome imo, even NG3, just got to learn the mechanics. NG2 was the most unfair at times, but when you survived a tough battle it more than made up for it. I really think you should get a way of playing the rest, you may just like Razors Edge afterall....;)

xuchu

This is a strange statement since the current series only have 3 games proper.

Ninja Gaiden/Black /Sigma (XBOX) (PS3)
Ninja Gaiden 2/Sigma 2 (360) (PS3)
Ninja Gaiden 3/ Razors Edge (360/PS3)

If you haven't played the last two you would have only played the one minimum. Hell, if it is that I misunderstood you and you did play Sigma 2 on PS3, I'd still say you need to give NG2 a whirl on a cheap 360 or on XB1 BC (hopefully it's on BC)....

But yes, all the games are very playable and awesome imo, even NG3, just got to learn the mechanics. NG2 was the most unfair at times, but when you survived a tough battle it more than made up for it. I really think you should get a way of playing the rest, you may just like Razors Edge afterall....;)

Yes, I would agree. NG2 and NGS2 play so differently, especially at master ninja, that I would consider them two separate games as opposed to sigma 2 simply being an up-ressed re-release. Haven't played sigma 1 but from what I hear black and sigma are 95% similar apart from some additional Rachel chapters. I could be wrong though.

Top Bottom