• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Pandora's Tower. Feeling curious?

L Thammy

prH6Rth.jpg

Pandora’s Tower was developed by a company called Ganbarion. Ganbarion is primarily a licensed game company. They’ve been producing One Piece games for Bandai for over ten years. I know very little about these games or the One Piece franchise, so I have no idea whether they’re good or not.

The company developed two of my favourite games: Jump Superstars and Jump Ultimate Stars. They are easy to think of as Smash Bros. clones featuring manga characters. However, they are actually a much different beast in execution; they focus more on tactical use of the special meter and attacks than twitch skills and movement. Its deck-building was a brilliant use of the DS’ second screen, adding more variety to combat giving my friends and I more incentive to battle over and over. Despite the multiplayer focus, the games were also full of single player content and unlockables.

In 2011, Ganbarion showed off its first original game. Though Operation Rainfall had yet to form, there was still fuss about Xenoblade and The Last Story. As the game looked somewhat like a Final Fantasy game – perhaps too much like one – it was swept up into the excitement as well. But as an adventure game by a humble developer among RPGs from big names it was naturally perceived as the runt of the litter.

The premise of Pandora’s Tower is a fairly grisly one. Elena is a girl from a small village. Aeron is her lover; a former soldier from a formerly enemy country. At a national festival, Elena experiences a curse that gradually begins to transform her into a monster. With the help of a mysterious merchant, Mavda, the two evade army pursuit and are brought to the Thirteen Towers. Aeron sets out on Mavda’s instruction to retrieve the flesh from the Masters within the Towers, the only cure for Elena’s curse.

The game combines elements from different genres. The Thirteen Towers themselves seem similar to the dungeons of Zelda. Aeron’s growth and equipment are similar to RPGs, with item crafting making an appearance. There’s also some light dating game elements with Elena. None of these aspects are neglected and they tend to tie together.

Ganbarion produced two of my favourite games ever, but I was still quick to dismiss Pandora’s Tower. I liked the concept, but I wasn’t sure about the gameplay. The videos didn’t excite me and what I was reading made the game seem too simple. You’ve probably figured it out by now; Ganbarion managed to impress me yet again. It’s hardly groundbreaking and I don't think it's as good as the Jump games. But it’s a solid, fun game that doesn’t seem to have gotten the attention that I think it deserves.

I initially stopped playing halfway through for some reason I can’t recall. After returning to beat the game, I couldn’t help but think of how little discussion of it I’ve seen in the meantime. I suddenly had the urge to create a write-up explaining exactly what the game is. Hopefully, it can at least help people learn what’s inside this box.

If one were to open up the tutorial section of the in-game notes they may find it to be excessive. For the most part, Pandora’s Tower is an action adventure game. Aeron spends most of his time doing two things: he maneuvers around the tower and he fights things. Both activities are pretty intuitive. However, you’ll often find yourself thinking about how to go about them.

As a strong believer of the adage “the Devil is in details,” I was happy to find little details present in the controls. Holding the C button prevents Aeron from grabbing onto ledges as he falls. Attacks can be dodge cancelled. Pressing the Z button at the home base turns the camera towards Elena’s location. They’re little things, but they add up.

Like other familiar adventurers, Aeron does a lot of climbing, jumping, and solving puzzles. The chain plays heavily into getting from point A to point B. He can use it to grab onto ledges and ladders, of course, but he also frequently uses it to create a path. He can use the chain to throw spikes into walls in order to climb. He can use it to pull out platforms and anchor them.

While you could mash the A button to attack, the bread-and-butter move of the game is actually the charged attack. Charging and releasing the A button unleashes an automatic combo of attacks with greater strength and invaluable knockdown power. Tapping the A button with proper timing – indicated by a blue ring shrinking down on Aeron – adds more attacks. I think button mashing works too, but the rhythm isn’t so hard to get.

Different weapons have different combos with different timing. Weapons can be charged further for different, stronger combos after being upgraded enough. While there are only a handful of weapons in the game, the differences in their ranges, speeds, and timings are enough to feel a difference. They can also be switched at any time by going into your menu.

Automatic combos may not sound exciting, but they’re much more comfortable than button mashing. On top of that, cancelling out of attacks is important. Aeron is just as vulnerable when attacking, so one enemy might strike from behind while he’s chopping another one up. Another issue comes about from the need to get monster flesh. The monster’s body has to be intact when extracting the flesh. There’s an invulnerability period after you kill them, but allowing a combo to last two attacks too many will probably destroy it completely. Thankfully, there’s usually another item dropped when destroying a monster.

The multifunctional chain also injects strategy into the combat. It can perform the damage dealing function of the charged attack by tearing and shooting, but it’s mostly in specific circumstances – mainly the Master fights – when that’s the thing to do. The chain is usually better used to control the battle.

The chain can grab and throw most enemies, leaving them in a prone position. You can use this to move the enemy into attacking range, attack two enemies at once, or just keep an annoying monster still a moment. You can pull a sword from an enemy’s hand and then swing it around you to bowl them over. You can bind a monster up to keep them still or tie two of them together to damage them both at once.

While the Classic Controller is also an option, the game plays smoothly with the Wii Remote. The pointer is used to target your chain. Just point and shoot. Holding down the B button slows down time and shows a magnifying glass effect around the cursor. While the chain can be deployed instantly just by tapping the button, this serves to allow easier targeting of enemy’s body parts.

Pandora’s Tower may not be the greatest of action games or the greatest of adventure games. But it’s still good at both. Perhaps that’s one of the defining features of the game: it doesn’t do any particular thing spectacularly, but a lot of things very well.

Pandora’s Tower has an easily-identified game flow. The door to the tower’s Master is bound with chains. You venture into the tower to find those rooms that let you break the chains. You periodically return to the Observatory to give flesh to Elena and restore her to human form. When you finally beat the Master and obtain its flesh, you give it back to Elena and move on to the next tower.

So, the game is easily divided into the times when you are in the Thirteen Towers and in the times when you are in Observatory. It’s good to know that the Observatory is also developed. Beyond just housing Elena, it serves as a place to regroup and house many of the non-action aspects of the game.

Giving flesh to Elena is a regular part of the game. It’s a simple task. You only have to give Elena one piece of flesh per tower visit, and better quality flesh will allow for a longer time limit midway through the game.

Still, there is effort placed to keep even this activity from being too routine. Elena does not stand around waiting for Aeron, but does different things around the house depending on the in-game time, as well as on the time limit. Since the Z button reveals her location in the Observatory, she isn’t hard to find. Even the act of eating the flesh is given some variety; her attitude changes as the game progresses.

Besides flesh, Elena can be given gifts to change your relationship level. If you give her pieces of equipment she’ll often wear it. If you give her dedicated gift items, she’ll usually decorate the Observatory with them. It’s mostly to determine the game’s ending, but she will also reward you with items after a milestone has been reached.

Elena isn’t the only character you can meet in the Observatory. Mavda the merchant is another frequent stop. As you can expect from a merchant, she mainly helps you with items. You can buy and sell items, repair broken items for a price, or combine items for free.

Some of the equipment Mavda sells just boosts a certain stat, while others provide immunities and other special abilities. The sage stone, for example, revives Aeron automatically when he dies. Your equipment is placed in a grid. The only limit on your equipment is how many items you can fit there. The size of the grid increases slowly as Aeron levels up.

Another free service Mavda provides is weapon forging. Each weapon has ten different upgrades that can be added to them. Each upgrade increases the attack power of the weapon by a different value, but also requires a different set of materials. Each upgrade can only be performed once. They can be done in any order. Upgrading your weapon for the third, sixth, or tenth time allows you to charge your attack longer in order to perform a different, stronger auto combo.

Mavda also buys up your spare flesh and rewards in cash you for the texts you collect. If enough flesh is collected she might throw in a free item. Only one piece of flesh is needed to restore the time limit and Aeron doesn’t own a refrigerator, so it’s a convenient service.

Both Elena and Mavda are up for some chitchat, of course. Mavda tends to be focused on gameplay advice and details of the game world. Elena is more focused on Aeron, her family, and the situation they find themselves in.

The Observatory is small, but there’s some benefit from wandering around. The birds by the fountain will often drop small items, and sometimes you’ll find texts and notes from Elena lying about.

While the Observatory is a smaller part of the game than the towers, it ends up being just as important for the player. It’s more than an obligation. It’s also a chance to prepare for the next portion of your adventure.

Pandora’s Tower does not go out of its way to be difficult. There are no instant kill traps. There are plenty of health items, bombs, and equipment you can use. But sometimes, for a few moments, the game can feel unforgiving.

The towers are all in a state of disrepair, so there are often locations where Aeron can fall several floors down. It’s actually pretty hard to fall down by accident – Aeron automatically clings to ledges – and it’s often easy to get back up. But you might sometimes make a mistake when swinging from one ledge to the next, and there’s no way to reverse time and go back up. You have to take the long route.

Aeron doesn’t have a companion to give him hints in the towers. If you have no idea where to go, you may have no choice but to look around. Thankfully, the chains winding through the tower suggest the direction. But that’s only a subtle hint.

The primary sources of difficulty in the game are the groups of enemies. Even the stronger enemies tend to gang up on you in this game. If you don’t make an effort to dodge their attacks and restrict them with the chain you’ll likely find yourself knocked down by a lot of attacks. Besides dealing heavy damage, these attacks tend to break your items. Crowd control and knockdown are crucial.

Not all enemies are simple damage sponges either. It’s also important to know how to deal with certain enemies. Breaking an enemy’s armour to make them easier to damage is one example. It also shouldn’t be surprising if, after binding a troll’s arm, the creature yanks back on your chain and leaves you flat on your face. Many of the stronger enemies are introduced as minibosses first, so these harder foes shouldn’t find you totally unprepared.

The bosses of the game resemble the puzzle bosses of Zelda somewhat, but they’re much more action-focused. The puzzle part of the battle is mostly explained by a note easily found in the tower. However, many of the bosses are not so unrelenting as to slow down their attack when you’ve exposed their weak point. You’ll often have to find yourself dodging even while on the attack.

Regardless, since the game offers checkpoints, dying is not such a massive setback.

The time limit system may sound stressful, but it isn’t at all. The meat needed to restore the meter is easily found, with the high quality meat being common by the early middle part of the game. The limit is generous enough to allow you to regularly break one or two chain rooms on each tower visit, even when engaging all enemies and collecting all the loot you see.

I think that most people who play this game will experience at least one challenging moment. But if you keep calm and consider all the tools at your disposal, you should pull through just fine.

Perhaps the most impressive feature of Pandora’s Tower is its ability to define a world larger than itself. The game takes place entirely within the Thirteen Towers and the Observatory. But we hear much about the surrounding world; it’s a major part of the story as well. For example, it’s constantly reminded that the heroes are sought after by the unseen Elyrian army.

The main vehicle for this information is through the notes left around the towers and Observatory. Some contain information on how to fight certain enemies or interact with puzzle objects, but many of them add more details to the world and the story. The tower is quite old, so many of the notes have to be given to Elena for translation first.

Of course, the game features in-engine cutscenes as well. While the more notable ones are done at obvious points – the end of towers or sets thereof – there are many slipped into various places. You may see a cutscene from entering the door at a certain time or going to sleep in the Observatory. I suspect that this was an attempt to make things feel more natural. Personally, I thought it worked well.

At the beginning of the game, we learn that the followers of the Aios religion are vegetarians. Elena is a follower, so the act of eating raw beast flesh is particularly disgusting to her. Aios does not seem to be based on any single real religion. It’s something of a combination of yin-yang and wu xing (the five Chinese elements) in a Greco-Roman package. While it’s not discussed in particular depth, it’s details like this that I found particularly striking. The varied economies of world’s countries are another such detail that is lightly mentioned.

It should be noted that this is by no means a horror game, but it is on occasion a dread game. That is to say, the game does not have monsters popping out to say “boo”, it does not try to make the player feel powerless, it doesn’t hit you with extremely disturbing images. What it does often offer is tension.

There are points where the player isn’t exactly sure what is happening and is made to feel uncomfortable about it. This may be something of a minor spoiler, but here’s a small example. When the time limit is low, you’ll return from the towers to an Observatory with dead plantlife and a dark sky. The music becomes similarly uncomfortable. It is extremely evident that something is wrong.

That said, it should also be noted that the game isn’t entirely a dark fantasy game either. As is noted in the Iwata Asks, true love is a theme of this game. Someone expecting an extremely dark game might find it to be sappy at times. However, there are also such themes as despair and hubris. While these themes are strongly present throughout the game, there isn’t a single one that dominates the atmosphere of the game completely.

The weakest part of the story is probably the two lead characters themselves. Aeron’s actions are that of a superman, surviving huge falls and toppling giant enemies. But what we see of his personality makes him seem like little more than a slightly squeamish Elena-saving machine. Elena tries to help Aeron out through translation and making medicine, but most of the time she engages in homemaker-like activities. They’re both rather quaint compared to their world and the scenario they’ve found themselves in.

Mavda is much more interesting. She provides you with a lot of vital services and guidance. However, her demeanour inspires immediate distrust. The way she speaks seems rather cold. Her constant chuckling seems inappropriate considering the dangers she speaks of. She tends to be vague about herself as well.

This is purely my own opinion, of course, but I feel that story is the one point of Pandora’s Tower that is clearly the best of the Rainfall games. While it’s still not notably ambitious, it’s the only one that strikes me as genuinely trying to make itself feel unique. The only one that seems to be trying to distance itself from oft-mocked JRPG clichés.

The Observatory has several points providing a scenic view of the Thirteen Towers. It neatly summarizes the appearance of the game. The Thirteen Towers are fantastic aesthetically. Gigantic chains, perhaps a mile long, suspend the gothic complex over a seemingly bottomless pit. At the same time, it’s also painfully apparent that it’s a flat background in the distance.

The towers are all ultimately stone buildings. The game does not have much in the way of varied scenery in that sense. However, the theme and content of the towers vary, and a certain effort to make the appearances of the towers appealing is visible. The long-abandoned towers are all clearly crumbling apart. You can sometimes spot little details if you pay attention, such as the dripping of water from above.

The scenery makes a nice match with the game’s fixed camera. Thankfully, it isn’t quite as awkward as some other implementations of that have been.

The music is something of a problem in the game. It isn’t so much that’s particularly bad, but there isn’t a lot of it. By the end of the first tower, the player may have heard some variation of most of the game’s music. Much of the soundtrack is based off classical, primarily romantic music that has fallen into the public domain. It includes Giulio Caccini, Franz Liszt, Bedřich Smetana, and Giuseppe Verdi. There might be more, but I’m not familiar with this kind of thing.

I suspect that the use of sound in this game would affect people differently. A sudden, powerful melody introduces certain rooms of the tower, and then fades into silence.

My run of the game took just under 27 hours. I didn’t do any sort of backtracking or grinding, but I do tend to play games somewhat slowly and got stumped once or twice. Being an adventure game with lots of puzzles, it shouldn’t be surprising if others have different playtimes.

After completing a tower, Mavda will inform you about rare items that can be found there at specific in-game times. You can sleep in the Observatory if you want to change the time. It’s meant to encourage backtracking: the items are often parts of weapon upgrades. However, it’s not at all necessary to complete the game, and many of these items can be created by combining items.

The game features multiple endings based on your relationship level with Elena. There’s also a new game plus feature, but it’s a little strange. Not only do your items and levels remain from the completed game, but it seems that only the chains in the towers are restored to their original state. There are new items are areas that can only be accessed after beating the game. However, many of these new rooms don’t have much of interest in them, so one has to wonder what the point is.

If you’re interested in the game, you should be able to pick it up for fairly cheap. $29 dollars on Amazon.com, £18 on Amazon.co.uk, and ¥4880 on Amazon.co.jp were the prices for a new copy I saw. The American version is also available off Xseed’s store for $30.

It would be unfair of me to describe this game without including the major bugs. Basically, the game may freeze when loading up some of the final towers. It seems to be more of an annoyance than an obstruction. Since the player would likely be entering the tower from the Observatory, you’re likely to have saved your progress before the freeze. There are also a number of workarounds, which may be as simple as saving to a different slot or removing the disc.

Pandora’s Tower seems to be a self-contained story. I only saw one ending, but I find it hard to imagine a direct sequel or prequel. Furthermore, the game was hardly a sleeper hit, so Nintendo won’t likely be knocking on Ganbarion’s door for another one. But I suspect that there were ambitions to further explore this world.

The continent of Imperia has nine countries, four of which are named. The game deals primarily with the country of Elyria. However, the country of Athos is also described, and Certes is mentioned a few times despite having a minor role. It’s also strange that the Elyrian capital, Helcyon, is even named. It doesn’t have a particularly important role in the story either.

Maybe I’m overthinking things, but I can’t help but feel that this was meant to set up future adventures. Certes and Athos seem like the likely candidates for the next game’s location. Rather than returning to the Thirteen Towers, perhaps the game would be a Pandora’s Factory or Pandora’s Temple.

Again, Pandora’s Tower isn’t a groundbreaking game. It’s simply has no ambitions of being one. But it’s a game that tries to do a lot of different things and succeeds. It’s interesting and it’s fun; a solid game on its own merits. I think that deserves some attention too. My hope is that you agree.

tl;dr: Aeron for Smash.

Additional resources:
Xseed website
Pandora’s Tower wikia (Spoilers abound)
Google docs guide

Soulflarz

Banned
I feel sad i didnt have time to get into it

I beat the first tower...

Er
Then i was done....yeah
I had a lot to play at the time and i forgot..

tinders

Great OP!

I loved Pandora's Tower. Picked it up on PAL release, and have played through it twice.

For me, the best thing about the game is the level design of the towers. So few games create vertically scaling areas - that when you get a game that focuses on verticality, it is such a radical change that it really challenges your thinking.

Also, as OP mentioned, the combat is really robust. The chain that Aeron uses has so much utility, and while some of its abilities are more useful (and more powerful) than others, the variety of enemies ensures that all abilities get used frequently.

Finally, I really liked the story. You are kind of drip fed a lot of background info, and as OP said, Mavda seems particularly shady. In fact my play through I was wary of the motivations of not only Mavda but also Aeron. For example (Towers 1-4 spoilers):
The first 3-4 boss fights, the bosses wouldn't fight back until Aeron struck first. I got the feeling that Aeron & Mavda were serving some other purpose than what they were letting on
. Definitely some hidden depth in the story.

I'd love to see Ganbarion make some kind of successor - even if it's not set in the world of Pandora's Tower. The level design, and combat were both excellent (and different to the norm) that it would be a shame if this basis that they've built went to waste.

cloudyy

Loved it. Something about that game just felt like I was playing one of those good japanese games from the Playstation 2 era that you just don't see anymore now. Roguelike, Dating, RPG, Puzzle, Action and unique IR controls all greatly blended together.

Kevtones

Loved it too. Has the LAST GREAT WII GAME status locked down.

Also, the endings are super different depending on what you do. It's pretty crazy, actually.

FryHole

Great OP, great game. The kind of thing I have in mind when lamenting the decline of the B-tier crushed underfoot by the AAA juggernaut.

Cosmozone

This reminds me that I must finally pick this up one day. Very interesting concept, that has a lot of individuality setting it apart from the rest.

Cerity

Still got a sealed copy of this somewhere, will give it go when I get around to finishing the current games im playing.

Your OP just got me really interested in this game. Finished The Last Story and Xenoblade, but I didn't know Pandora's Tower sounded so interesting.

Wow, now that's a return to the party!

So, I forgot this was released in the states and I'm going to try and find a copy today. Thanks for the reminder and thanks for the crap load of work you put into your thread! :)

zroid

Banned
That is quite an OP :V

bought all three rainfall games day 1, but haven't played any yet. I think I may work my way through them in reverse chronological order. PT looks like a good complement to the other two games I'm playing right now: Animal Crossing and Persona 4 Golden

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's uh... startlingly thorough. And it makes me really want to pick the game up. Wanted the game, but was busy when it came out, so I never bothered. I dunno. Seems it's $30 now, so I suppose I should probably nab it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
That was a really good read! Thanks! I'm ashamed to admit I haven't opened my collector's edition yet. :( I'll get to it soon!

Toth

I am working on Tower 8 and I have found it to be quite a little gem. The constant time limit does create more frustration in exploring the towers but its workable. The game does have very detailed back stories to it which is surprising and welcome.

Yuterald

Loved Pandora's Tower. Probably my favorite Wii game still. Quoting myself back from the OT when I was in the middle of my first playthrough...

So, I am now at the start of the 5th tower...and I must say, I think this game has claimed the throne as my new favorite Wii game (Sorry Little King's Story!). I am OBSESSED with the Japanese action game titles from the PS2 era. I don't think I've ever played something this generation that fits the PS2-era criteria more than Pandora's Tower. Sure, I get that this will turn some people off, but for me, this game feels like a cross between Rygar: The Legendary Adventure and Castlevania: Lament of Innocence mixed with all the ideas, elements, and experimentation that the PS2 library was known for.

Not only does this game remind of the action titles we got from the PS2 era, but it also encapsulates the feel/scope of an SNES title. It truly feels like a game that could chill with the likes of Terranigma or Illusion of Gaia. Pandora's Tower, and everything that it represents, is the kind of game that I truly value. It's games like this that I truly feel are absent this generation and it's a shame.

L Thammy

Thanks all! Glad you liked the OP. I briefly looked for YouTube videos, but the people playing were really bad. This isn't a good game to button mash through.

For me, the best thing about the game is the level design of the towers. So few games create vertically scaling areas - that when you get a game that focuses on verticality, it is such a radical change that it really challenges your thinking.

That's a good point. I think it also adds to that sense of dread, especially the towers that require a lot of climbing. It's always a long way down.

Finally, I really liked the story. You are kind of drip fed a lot of background info, and as OP said, Mavda seems particularly shady. In fact my play through I was wary of the motivations of not only Mavda but also Aeron. For example (Towers 1-4 spoilers):
The first 3-4 boss fights, the bosses wouldn't fight back until Aeron struck first. I got the feeling that Aeron & Mavda were serving some other purpose than what they were letting on
. Definitely some hidden depth in the story.

Elena had me on edge more than Aeron.
There's a cutscene where Aeron has a nightmare about her. I couldn't tell if she was eating him or stealing the meat off his person. Later in the game, she rips the meat right out of his hands. It made me wonder if I had let the time drop into the red too often.

Jawmuncher

The game was amazing and is what we need to see more of on the system. While the game doesn't need a direct sequel is love to see a spiritual succesor.

Vercimber

This is an excellent game, with a deep and convincing game world akin to Panzer Dragoon or Nier. Highly underrated. Excellent use of tension and lots of variation to the fighting system. I'm so glad this one was released here in the U.S.

EDarkness

I'd like to throw in my positive energy for the game with everyone else's. I thought this game was quality when I played the original Japanese version. If you like action games, then there's no reason to miss out on this game. Well worth the price of admission.

Great post, OP.

120v

so what's the rub with this game? i understand everybody in this thread likes it, but the negative review scores caused me to pretty much ignore it. i'm curious as to what the main complaints were... the preview videos looked pretty decent

Koren

Great OP. The games deserve it, but that's still a really big (and interesting) block of text.

so what's the rub with this game? i understand everybody in this thread likes it, but the negative review scores caused me to pretty much ignore it.
The game differs a bit from the usual mechanics. I'd say that many (most?) people now want to travel through levels and not care whether they shoud go back to pay a visit to a character or go on, and the system bothers them.

When you have "Devil May Cry meet Harvest Moon" (I'm only half joking), you can expect some backslash.

But like everyone here, I love the game, because of its originality. People that don't have an interest in it probably won't even enter the topic, so it's a bit biaised. It's probably not for everyone, but if the game appeals to you, don't pay attention to the reviews. It's a great addition to the Wii library.

L Thammy

so what's the rub with this game? i understand everybody in this thread likes it, but the negative review scores caused me to pretty much ignore it. i'm curious as to what the main complaints were... the preview videos looked pretty decent

Haven't read many so it's hard to say, but I'd guess it's primarily three things:

1) The game is usually compared to Xenoblade and The Last Story. When you put a great adventure game against two "saviours of the JRPG genre" it doesn't seem as exciting by comparison, so it might have been judged too harshly.

2) I suspect that there's a lot of game reviewers who are really bad at video games. The Nintendomination guy did a video of the first hour of the Japanese game, then a year later he did the English version. In neither video did he learn how to use the chain or charge attack. It makes the game unnecessarily long and boring.

3) "Repetitive" seems to be a key word, which I guess is because it's a gameplay-heavy game and the towers don't have a lot of cutscenes in them. There's varied enemies, puzzles, and stage gimmicks in the tower gameplay. Not sure what else you can ask for in this type of game.

I wanted to 100% it, but I couldn't because every time I tried to go into the towers at the end of the game it would glitch out and freeze up on me. I don't know how that didn't get caught by anyone at all because it literally makes the game unplayable.

btw, this was by far the worst of the three operation rainfall games. I'm glad it made it over, but the others are just better in every way.

Not sure what else you can ask for in this type of game.

Lore was poorly done. There are like three characters in the entire game. Towers are entered by using a menu, no real exploration or sidequests outside of the main game. There's plenty more you could want.

L Thammy

Lore was poorly done. There are like three characters in the entire game. Towers are entered by using a menu, no real exploration or sidequests outside of the main game. There's plenty more you could want.

I really can't agree with a lot of this, at least if comparing to the other Rainfall games.

Lore: It's tastefully spread about. Not just the notes you pick up, but sometimes Elena or Mavda will tell you about Aeron's hometown or something like that. The Last Story's lore was just dumped dismissively in the library. I honestly can't remember Xenoblade's lore, unless it was something from those awful, boring sidequests.

Few characters: Why does the number of characters matter? They're all vital to the story.

No exploration, towers entered via menu: I guess? That's like complaining that it's not an open-world game. It's kind of like a roguelike.

No sidequests: I'll agree with you on this one. The Last Story had nice sidequests. It would be nice to have that. Xenoblade had a few sidequests, but they were buried under so many boring/filler ones, so I'd have rather those have been gone.

Hero

Great OP, extremely thorough.

I really loved this game the more I played. I found the story/lore enough to draw me in and Elena was really so endearing and sweet that I felt for her as a character.

I try to describe it as part-Zelda, part-Castlevania, part-Shadow of the Colossus. Jack of these genres but master of none. Still very solid. B+ game.

Mr Rivuz

Loved this. Played it as soon as it came out, got the best ending. Sooner or later i should load my save and treat the poor girl as shit to see other endings XD

Tomodachi

Really random question, but if I didn't like FF XIII 2 much, would I like The Last Story and Pandora's Tower?

The three of them have like nothing in common, you could enjoy one of them and hate the other, enjoy all of them or neither.

I enjoyed FFXIII-2 mostly for the lulz and production value (played in synch with a friend, we shared impressions and laughed as we went on, it was really entertaining this way); I loved Pandora's Tower for its original yet very PS2-y feel and its tone; I didn't like very much TLS instead, it felt very bland all around (story, characters, music and gameplay especially, too damn easy and basic, combat-wise it has very solid grounds that aren't exploited during the game at all).

So I was thinking of starting this

Question: Do I need to follow a guide or anything? I'm kind of nervous about the time limit sort of stuff in terms of feeding the girl and everything. Also, is there some kind of best/worst ending? And do I need to worry about giving the girl gifts or something, I think I remember reading that...

This is an excellent game, with a deep and convincing game world akin to Panzer Dragoon or Nier. Highly underrated. Excellent use of tension and lots of variation to the fighting system. I'm so glad this one was released here in the U.S.

Agreed 100%. I'm really glad NoE decided to release it. One of my favourite games of last gen.

L Thammy

So I was thinking of starting this

Question: Do I need to follow a guide or anything? I'm kind of nervous about the time limit sort of stuff in terms of feeding the girl and everything. Also, is there some kind of best/worst ending? And do I need to worry about giving the girl gifts or something, I think I remember reading that...

It's not all that confusing. If you've ever gotten stumped by a Zelda puzzle, that's the same way you'll get stumped here.

Regarding the time limit: it has to empty completely before you get a game over, and it drains really slowly. It also changes colour at the end of the time bar, so when you see that's it's in the red you can just run back to the entrance and ignore the enemies.

Yeah, you give the girl gifts and there are multiple endings, but it's not all that hard either. The relationship value is mostly to determine the ending. It's only when it's extremely low (i.e. you ignore the girl completely) that you get the worst ending. It's apparently fairly easy to get all the endings if you get the best one first - there's a trick to it.

The gift items mostly come from the shop and are pretty obvious (dresses, carpets, potted plants). The relationship value only goes down if you try to give her a bad gift (monster remains, alchemical materials). You can also sometimes raise the bar just by talking to her too.

bon

Seeing this thread got me to finally start playing the copy I bought a while back.
One thing that stands out to me so far is how expressive Elena's face is. Super endearing.

Mitsurux

Bought htis right when it came out... (to support the rain fall.. got all Rainfall games)... but have yet to even open it

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I really liked this game. It starts to become really intereseting only after the fourth tower tough.
After that, the story starts to hype you and the towers/bosses mechanism increase strategy and overall quality. the multiple endings are simply mind blowing, imho.

DarkPanda

I actually started playing this game over the weekend and so far I am loving it. I'm at the 5th tower and have just broken the last chain. Tonight I have to search for the boss door because I have no idea where it is; this tower somehow feels both shorter and more confusing than the first 4, which I guess is a good sign as it hints that the towers will increase in complexity as the game goes on. I've really enjoyed the tower design so far; they're large enough that they feel expansive, but not too complex that I need a walkthrough to find my way around. I would like a few more branching paths though.

I've also done a lot of backtracking through the previous towers for crafting materials and the rewards for getting certain levels of flesh in each tower because yes, I'm a crafting whore. So far it hasn't felt tedious at all. Combat is satisfying and quick and once you know where to go you can get things done pretty quickly. Plus the Elena's transformation timer ensures that you're not in a tower for too long.

Graphically the game looks pretty good for a Wii game. The towers have a nice sense of scale to them, everything has a nice poly count and the animations are great. However, like Xenoblade, I do wish they could have made this game in HD. Both games' sense of scale feels a bit held back by the Wii's 480 resolution.

I like the way the lore is presented. Uncovering bits and pieces in discarded journal entries and conversations adds to the mystery and makes the world feel more alive than I think a glut of elaborate cut-scenes would have, especially considering the scope of the game.

Oh, and I agree with the OP about Mavda. It definitely feels like there's something up with her, and I expect her to be involved in some twist by the end of the game.

-Horizon-

I stopped playing a while back because I was busy with classes. I was on the third tower...I think
the water one
. I need to get back and play it.

Top Bottom