• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: PS1/N64/Saturn era Disney Games

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The PSN Flash sale really opened up nostalgia for me on certain Disney games.

I mean, we all know the SNES/Genesis and NES era Disney games, they're mostly classics. But let's talk about the underrated, barely talked about games of Disney for the 32-bit era.

Among the ones I have played are

hZSr1pn.jpg

1eVbQCQ.jpg

ozJncKR.jpg

d6R5gXp.jpg

I fucking love Hercules. It's a top-tier side scroller with many collectibles. Also help that the graphics are really good, almost matching the movie.

Next on my favorites is A Bug's Life. Primarily because I enjoy the "power up your powers to 100% a stage" concept. I am a massive fan of power ups back when I was playing, and thoroughly went on my way to complete the stage. And the voice snippets really get me. MEGA HOMING BERRIES!

Toy Story 2, I feel is what many platformers miss. Yes even Mario 64. It's the first 3D platformer I played that actually lets you pick to escape or not a stage to collect the "goal" collectible. Not even Gex lets you do that.

Tarzan is the last Disney game I played on that. I feel weird though that he's mostly a berry thrower, and I feel it's inferior to Hercules which was really beautiful, this one was more 3D with a 2D perspective.

There was also the Monsters Inc. game but I wasn't so fond of that.

LewieP

Toy Story 2 is the daddy.

Edit: How was Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? I remember being curious about that, but also not actually liking the premise of a "real" Buzz, rather than a "Toy" Buzz.

Monsters Inc: Scare Island is one of my favourite games of all time.

The Emperor's New Groove Game is pretty fantastic also.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think the Mega Drive Disney games weren't all too strong. They were really slow and Mickey's jumping behaviour was crude.

I can recommend Donald Duck Quack Attack on (in this order):
- GBC (best version!)
- PSX
- DC (or N64, but why would you not take the DC version...)
- GCN (or PS2, but the game uses analog stick and face buttons, so GCN is the most convenient imo)

Yes, actually, the games are better the weaker the platform is, that they were developed for.

I think the Mega Drive Disney games weren't all too strong. They were really slow and Mickey's jumping behaviour was crude.

- GBC (best version!)
- PSX
- GCN (or PS2, but the game uses analog stick and face buttons, so GCN is the most convenient imo)

Yes, actually, the games are better the weaker the platform is, that they were developed for.

Aladdin was fantastic and you know it.

Tizoc

I remember gaming mags at the time giving Disney games mediocre reviews, but I am happy to see some positive impressions of them here.
What's the best ver. of A Bug's Life though? PSOne?

M3d10n

- GBC (best version!)
- PSX

The Master System version of CoI was superior, but don't diss Quackshot.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I remember gaming mags at the time giving Disney games mediocre reviews, but I am happy to see some positive impressions of them here.
What's the best ver. of A Bug's Life though? PSOne?
Most of the time they were in the "small space reviews" though, so it sucks and there's a definite bias against them.

I actually haven't played the other versions of ABL, is there even a PC version?

Man, A Bug's Life was awesome for me as a kid. I loved the movie.

Am I remembering wrong or was there a "hidden" level after the first where it's set in the circus?

I remember getting stuck in that bird maze level.

Edit: I had Monsters Inc. Scare Island and finished it very quickly. It was quite a short game.

Top Bottom