• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Resident Evil, the series

Magnus

There wasn't a bigger fan of classic RE back in the day than me - RE1/DC, 2, 3, CV/X, 4 and 5. I kind of bailed after that due to different gaming interests, and a lot's happened since then in the series. I want to get back into it, especially with all the news and releases lately about the series.

Figured this could be a great RTTP hub for the series for any of you who are like me, and are returning fans who lapsed following RE4 or 5.

--

The games released since RE5 that I'm interested in, and what I'd like to know about each - and do you guys consider them major entries or stories worth playing for the bigger RE picture?:

Resident Evil 4 re-releases

Loved the original GC release. Bought on 360 upon release; great HD port. No longer have 360. Bought PS3 release; seems janky (washed out colours and lousy audio). Thoughts? I know a GAFfer is working on an insane Ultimate texture pack for the PC edition. Until then, what's the best release all around?

Resident Evil 5: Gold

Actually liked the core game more than most, but never got to the extra content (both in the vanilla game - like Mercs - and the DLC/Gold edition content, like the extra scenarios, etc. The 360 game performed better here I think, but again, no 360 anymore. Worth waiting for the PC release that people have spotted a listing for?

Resident Evil 6

Totally passed up this game based on critical reception at release. Saw it in a bargain bin for the PS3 for $5. Nabbed it. Started it last night. Wow. What a QTE nightmare for the intro. Does it get better? I couldn't stand it. I'm currently at a scenario select screen (Chris, Leon, etc.)

I hear the extra content (Mercs) is actually GREAT for RE6. Wondering if it's worth gunning through the campaign to get to that, or are Mercs/Raid (?) modes in recent Rev games more worth the time?

Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D

Tried it very briefly. Found it uncomfortable to control, and low on performance. Was totally turned off, despite my insane love for Mercs modes. I remember there being talk about this becoming a 'platform' that would be DLC'd to hell with new characters, maps, and weapons being added over time, even from newer games released after it. Also remember talk about an HD port, a la RE: Rev 1 - anything?

Resident Evil: Revelations

Passed up the 3DS release based on my lousy Mercs 3D experience. How did the console ports turn out? Very tempted to give them a shot considering how well-loved the game is now. Is there a best-edition out there, content-wise or performance-wise? What IS raid mode, and is there a Mercs-style combat mode at the end of this?

Resident Evil: Revelations 2

I only just found out that this was being released in episodic format. I hear the PS4 performance troubles may be addressed in a patch (?), and am hoping that the disc release (or a patch thereafter) delivers a great version of this game. How is it so far? Is it worth just ditching prior releases and focusing on this game?

Regarding Resident Evil 6 - yes, prologue is terribad, yes, go for Mercs first, it's the best version of the mode in whole series IMO. Once you get familiar with the controls and all the techniques, play the campaigns (there are some guides with recommended chapter order, follow them because it paces the game well). Some will tell you to skip them, but there's no reason to if you'll want to test your Mercs skills in a mode that has actual story (and some cool encounters you won't get in other modes).

And about Mercenaries 3D... I had the same initial impressions as you. It only clicked after credits roll, and it does sound terrible, but initial levels are just like an unnecessary tutorial. Once you start unlocking new characters, skills, weapon sets, and most importantly, the hardest stages and survival runs, the charm of Mercenaries Reunion and SHOOT MELEE RELOAD KEEP THE COMBO GOING comes back. But yeah, not blaming you if you skip it.

Neiteio

Mercs 3D is NOT a reflection of how Rev 1 performs on 3DS. Rev 1 looks and plays great on 3DS. The engine is well-optimized and it pushes a lot more effects at a smooth framerate in 3D. I really like this game. More limited in mobility than RE6, but it has a nice pacing to it, and thorough exploration of its central location that comprises 75 percent of the game, as well as the campiest of camp stories. Remember to target the LIMBS of the enemies, and once stunned, you can charge your melee attacks.

It sounds like you just played the prologue from RE6 if you've just now arrived at the scenario select. The prologue is not indicative of much. It gives a terrible first impression and ought to be retooled or excised from the game altogether. You can set QTEs to auto and adjust the camera distance now, and of course change your crosshairs to laser sight. Click here for essential reading.

Rev 2 is absolutely fantastic so far. Episode II came out last night and just nailed it. People who judged the first episode are like people who judge the first two chapters of TEW. Although in Episode 1's case I think it actually makes a better impression. Point is, first episode was solid, and now things are getting really interesting in the second episode, both narratively and gameplay-wise. Great mechanics (especially the tag-team dynamic), great pacing and progression, great enemy encounters and optional stealth sequences, great atmosphere and lore connections to other RE titles. And Raid makes it one of the best values in gaming, straight up.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition is the best version of the game right now, the PC version on Steam. Had the lighting of the Gamecube version (that was previously only in the Gamecube/Wii versions), the only version with a 60fps option, all the content from every other version, it's basically a bit more enhanced than the console HD versions, but also has modding support, including the upcoming texture pack. Even without the texture pack and mods though, it'd still be the best version.

PC port is REALLY good for RE5. Good article on the 360 vs PC version difference: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/tech-comparison-resident-evil-5-pc-article
The Gold Edition content is not out quite yet, but going to hit VERY soon, just needs Microsofts authorization. And Lost in Nightmares, Desperate Escape, and Mercenaries Reunion are all worth playing.

For RE6, turn off the cutscene QTEs on the main menu (can't do in-game, an option for auto-assist or QTE somewhere on the main menu). RE6 is a big love it/hate it game, there's a certain moment for many where it clicks though. The best part about it are its combat mechanics, but they aren't explained well in-game. Here's a really good guide to them here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494812
I suggest finding someone to play RE6 with, and practicing a bit with the mechanics in Mercenaries before continuing, but you make the call if its worth it or not. I will say this, RE6 has a LOT of content, and it does get better in my opinion. However, RE6 is weird, different people have different favorite/least favorite parts, the game is also very all-over-the-place in campaign quality. Some really good, and really bad sections. However, know the prologue is the worst part, it's basically all that's wrong in RE6 all at once at the forefront, but it does get much better than that, at least.

Haven't played Mercenaries 3D, so can't say too much there.

---

Now, Revelations 1 and 2 I have some specific things to say.

Firstly, Raid Mode, which is shared between the two games, is a dungeon-crawling version of RE. You have different characters, experience to earn for level-ups, you collect loot, go into stages and defeat enemies, clearing a room full of enemies usually gets you a key, some levels are linear, some levels open up a lot with multiple ways through the level, some have alternate goals, like exploration, defend a point, etc. Each character has different skills (and in Revelations 2, can play pretty differently), and the enemies themselves also see a number of changes, they can have random buffs, including but not limited too, being super giant versions of themselves, being tiny, being super-speed fast, being on fire, having higher defense, having a shield, emitting poison gas clouds, sucking you in if you get near, and a lot more. It becomes an addictive cycle of completing stages, on different difficulties, unlocking more stuff in Raid Mode, getting the perfect load-out and equipping it with special parts (you can make some absolutely insane and fun guns in Raid Mode), looting, fighting enemies and surviving, taking on challenges (Raid Mode 1 has rankings, Raid Mode 2 has completionist medallions). Raid has 2-player co-op, and presents things like bosses from the campaign in the game, a few fun twists and turns... It can get pretty addicting.

Revelations 1 has some mixed reception. Its handheld origins show, the enemies how they respond when shot is a bit odd and simplified to other series entries. I enjoyed it, but it's not a return-to-the-roots like it claims to be, and somewhere in the middle for RE titles for my opinion. Some find it very dull, though.

Revelations 2 is a huge step-up though, only 2 of the 4 episodes are out right now (they release weekly), but everyone playing it (well, most everyone) seems to be liking it quite a bit so far, I think it has more atmosphere, tense encounters, interesting (yet enjoyably cheesy) narrative for the series in 10 years. Also, episode 2 may have some of the best boss fights in the series, and its probably the hardest RE game on Hard difficulty, the first RE game that has not only come close, but might potentially surpass Code Veronica on hard difficulty for me on how challenging it is, but I say this not as a bad thing. Not unfaily challenging. If it keeps up, I think it might end up becoming a much-loved game on GAF and other places.

Magnus

All the responses so far are exactly what I was looking for in terms of extra info on all the above titles. Perfect. Thanks everyone!

Great to know about RE6 in particular. I didn't realize Mercs was accessible right from the start....? I'll have to check that out. And I'll press ahead with all the guides you guys linked. Great stuff.

More comments welcome!

Joey Ravn

Banned
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I too have just started the RE series, but in my case, I started from scratch. I got the Remastered Remake on PC and I'm slowly trying to figure it out. I was afraid that the tank controls would be extremely off-putting, but I'm using the last preset (which has Move Forwards on the right trigger) and so far, so good.

I'm really scared of the idea of Crimson Heads. I know that they are re-resurrected zombies that you don't fully kill off, either by decapitation or by burning. I'm trying to avoid killing as many zombies as possible. As long as they don't bother me much, I can manage, and I'm saving my ammo/kerosene for more pressing situations (e.g. having to cross a hallway with a zombie and no room to flank it).

Quick question: if I come across a body that had already been killed before I got there (for example, there's one right outside an early save spot), does it turn into a Crimson Head if I don't burn it? Or do CH only come from enemies that I personally have killed?

ShadowOwl

The only RE I have played are RE5 and the Leon campaign of RE6...

It's really incredible how much better RE5 is compared to its sequel. They must have used so much more money to make the game and yet it's so much worse. Way, way too many cutscenes which interrupt the gameplay, there are even sections between cutscene which allow you to move around (and just that!) for a few seconds - what is the point? Throw in a ton of QTEs, terrible boss battles, lots of tiny gameplay issues and a even more over-the-top story than any RE before. If you want to have some fun when playing coop with a friend: Drink every time Leon and Helena almost die/would have died in real world. I tell you one thing, you won't be able to stand on your feet at the end of their campaign.

And still, I had quite some fun playing it with a friend online (PC). Still, I enjoyed R5 so much more, RE1 on GC and RE4 on Wii are next. Might play the other RE6 campaigns at a later point.

Dusk Golem

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I too have just started the RE series, but in my case, I started from scratch. I got the Remastered Remake on PC and I'm slowly trying to figure it out. I was afraid that the tank controls would be extremely off-putting, but I'm using the last preset (which has Move Forwards on the right trigger) and so far, so good.

I'm really scared of the idea of Crimson Heads. I know that they are re-resurrected zombies that you don't fully kill off, either by decapitation or by burning. I'm trying to avoid killing as many zombies as possible. As long as they don't bother me much, I can manage, and I'm saving my ammo/kerosene for more pressing situations (e.g. having to cross a hallway with a zombie and no room to flank it).

Quick question: if I come across a body that had already been killed before I got there (for example, there's one right outside an early save spot), does it turn into a Crimson Head if I don't burn it? Or do CH only come from enemies that I personally have killed?

There are a few Crimson Heads who will rise from bodies you have not killed, but not all of them. Try and determine the state of the body, as those that are like that may look more damaged than others. However, there's two Crimson Heads that will rise no matter what you do.

I also might suggest to try to get used to tank controls, as the older entries do use them, and they're not so bad when you adjust to them.

Avoiding killing those except what is really a problem or in your way is a good word of advise for many of the older RE games.

Raptomex

I keep trying to get into 4 since people are obsessed with it. I respect it for what it did for the genre but I really can't get into it. Mainly because of the controls. I just can't get used to tank controls. I don't get very far before giving up. But every now and then I try again. Surprisingly, I completed 5 but it was co-op with a friend. I tried playing it again by myself and lost interest. I enjoyed Mercenaries but again those controls. I play it every now and then.

Dusk Golem

I keep trying to get into 4 since people are obsessed with it. I respect it for what it did for the genre but I really can't get into it. Mainly because of the controls. I just can't get used to tank controls. I don't get very far before giving up. But every now and then I try again. Surprisingly, I completed 5 but it was co-op with a friend. I tried playing it again by myself and lost interest. I enjoyed Mercenaries but again those controls. I play it every now and then.

One of RE4's strongest elements is how it evolves and keeps adding new things to the end, but working off previously introduced areas, so understand the full love of RE4 sort of requires to play past the beginning, as it never does the same thing twice and mixes in its encounters and situation scenarios.

Tank controls have never really bothered me, but is definitely one thing that takes a bit of time to adjust too.

Sadist

Yeah, Revelations on 3DS is the best way to go. If you didn't like Mercs 3D, Revelations is better.

I strongly advise to give the 3DS version a chance: the console/PC port is okay, but I think it plays better on the handheld. Especially Raid Mode is a better experience there. They nerfed the mode in the HD release and that made me never complete Raid on Wii U.

Mupod

I went into RE6 expecting to only like the Leon campaign and hate the rest of it. Ended up being kinda the opposite, Chris' was the best. The shooting and movement mechanics are fun but Leon's campaign and enemies are just...not.

RE4 is a masterpiece but RE5 still feels the most fun based only on pure mechanics. It's a very satisfying game to play. The DLC was pretty good, especially Mercs Reunion - still the best Mercs in my opinion. RE5 in general is one of the best co-op games I've ever played, and I'm secretly planning to drag a friend into the PC re-release to make him run through it with me.

I really enjoyed Revelaitons but it doesn't hold up perfectly all the way through. It definitely turns into 'action movie RE' near the end.

Surprised at the positive reception for Rev 2 - the game seemed to have people lining up to shit on it pre-release. I've been avoiding threads because I clicked on one and it was nothing but spoiler bars. Haven't had time to play it for myself and won't for a while, but I'm looking forward to it now.

Neiteio

Surprised at the positive reception for Rev 2 - the game seemed to have people lining up to shit on it pre-release. I've been avoiding threads because I clicked on one and it was nothing but spoiler bars. Haven't had time to play it for myself and won't for a while, but I'm looking forward to it now.
Everyone is surprised by Rev 2. As of the end of Episode 2, it's possibly the best RE since RE4, and those who have played the full version (such as GAF poster Nemesis) say it only gets better and better.

I'm currently playing through Revelations on the 3DS, and have gone from enjoying the first couple of hours to not having much fun with it 7 or so hours in. Reasons are:

- Instant kill enemies are problematic due to low FOV and cramped spaces.
- Partners aren't very helpful, but will end up blocking large portions of the screen at shitty moments.
- Characters move like molasses. I have no problem with tank controls, but I swear the movement is several times slower than in the original games using the run button. Made me want to tear the damn circle pad off several times now.
- Regular enemies aren't very fun to fight because there isn't much weight to the combat. It's kind of hard to explain, but it just feels very bland.

The graphics are great, and the 3D is nice, especially with the extreme setting turned on. I kind of like the cheesy story too, and the cutscenes look fantastic...I just wish the gameplay was better.

Top Bottom