• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Shenmue (This time to Finish it and Revenge my Father)

Raide

Milchjon said:
The game that got me into consoles, the game that made me buy a DC and, 10 years later, STILL my favorite game. I still spend some time with Shenmue every year, apart from the controls I think it holds up really well. Especially because there's nothing else like it.

Is there any comparable game that I missed? Especially when it comes to world simulation? Stuff like GTA IV just feels really different.

Shenmue made a life simulator. GTA made an Douchbag simulator.

daviyoung

Banned
Milchjon said:
Is there any comparable game that I missed? Especially when it comes to world simulation? Stuff like GTA IV just feels really different.

The Yakuza series scratched a part of the itch, but I can't think of anything comparable really.

Log4Girlz

Polo67 said:
I would be happy if they just did a shenmue 2 remake in HD.

Would be nice, especially if on PC and offered over Steam. I only played a few hours of each game (at a friends house), but could definitely see the quality. I loved the attention to detail. I do believe that in the first game, everyone was unique and there were no reused models right?

I'd also love this game ported to 3DS so I could view those little figurines in 3D!

That's not port begging is it? I mean the game is old.

I want more Shenmue period.

But I've said it for years, the least SEGA could do is put Ryo and Lan Di in a Virtua Fighter installment. Let us unlock the final bout and get the ending that way.

Shenmue I and II are masterpieces! No other game will ever give me the same feelings I had when playing them.

The atmosphere....my God the atmosphere! Two truly, truly incredible, special games. I still have hope for a third!

Log4Girlz

Jokes and Riddles said:
I want more Shenmue period.

But I've said it for years, the least SEGA could do is put Ryo and Lan Di in a Virtua Fighter installment. Let us unlock the final bout and get the ending that way.

That...is a fucking cool idea. Well, Ryo was in Sega Allstars racing right? Would be cool to make Lan Di unlockable there to and you could race against him.

thelatestmodel said:
Me too. Never give up hope.

Absolutely.

I remember years ago it used to be on my mind all the time, but now days I simply forget about it.

Doesn't mean I've given up though. Why should I?! My stance will forever be 'it'll happen one day'.

Hazanko

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
Shenmue I and II are masterpieces! No other game will ever give me the same feelings I had when playing them.

The atmosphere....my God the atmosphere! Two truly, truly incredible, special games. I still have hope for a third!
Yup, they are my favourite games. I don't think any game has really come close to how I felt when I played them.

still playing the DC games from time to time. thank god i never had to endure the xbox dub. these games need a DC.

best game ever btw.

Hazanko said:
Yup, they are my favourite games. I don't think any game has really come close to how I felt when I played them.

well said.

randomwab

Milchjon said:

I may be alone in this, but Deadly Premonition reminds me a whole lot of Shenmue. There's a real sense that the world they created there is a living, breathing place. Characters have daily routines, there's a ton of things to do and the game rewards you for exploration. It's the only other game to give me the same feeling as Shenmue.

Look at what this thread made me do.... (or gave me an excuse to do...). Now I have an extra DC for that Arcade cab project I want to do. My 1xxx-in-1 doesn't look nearly as sharp as the DC hooked up with VGA.

Screenshot2011-05-18at125159PM.png

Guess I better finish Shenmue 1 soon!

mattp

does anyone actually know what they say in the bob's pizza song?
welcome to pizza?
dobuita pizza?

WILL WE EVER KNOW?

TheTowel

Anyone actually run the ingame calender in the original to spring time? The cherry tree blossoms. Fucking cool if you ask me. Yu Suzuki wanted the weather to match the real weather in 1987 (?) Japan.

Man I got alot out of those games.

MultiCore

I also envy you for getting to play through for the first time.

I love my DC. I need to bring it in out of the garage.

Playthough Update:

So I am on day 4 of work at the harbor. And to be honest, driving the forklift is actually pretty fun and rewarding, especially when you honk that horn!

Found the Mad Angles and just went through a great motorcycle QTE.

Looks like I am getting closer and I need to ask around about a, "Big deal," that is about to go down.

I will say, I am still impressed by the graphics and detail in the world. But yeah, the voice acting is as terrible as I remember it when I was 14. Some with NY accents too.

One question, is the guy on Goro's t-shirt that same dude that others on GAF post for lame threads or comments?
Goro_800_600.jpg

Also it only took three tries to get first in the forklift race:
0d97421c.jpg

Ok, back to the game...

Demathe

Neo Member
Still have my DC hooked up through VGA in my living room and this game is one of the main reasons why.

The music. The atmosphere. The fighting. The QTE's. The sailors.

I LOVE SHENMUE. One of my fav games ever. I still remember getting it and spending the entire holidays playing through it with a friend. I'll never forget moments like
Ryo riding the motorcycle, the 70 man battle and ofcourse; the forklift racing :p

About Shenmue 2, if any of you want the EU version; there is a store in my city which still has it (new) for $100. They also have this "buy 2, get 1 free" promotion so it's $200 for 3 new EU copies of Shenmue 2. Dunno for what these are going up on Ebay though so I dunno if that's cheap.

Kikujiro

Greatest game ever made.
The attention to detail was incredible, I recommend you to buy Shenmue Prima's official guide, it's amazing, you can read the story of every single character of the game, even the random people who walk around the streets.

Kikujiro said:
Greatest game ever made.
The attention to detail was incredible, I recommend you to buy Shenmue Prima's official guide, it's amazing, you can read the story of every single character of the game, even the random people who walk around the streets.

Exactly! Since I have been working at the harbor, I am getting to see some of the character's routines, like the guys that fish. Some will sometimes just most to a different spot and if you go up to talk to them they will say something like, I can't talk now, trying to find the best spot." Or at night, around 7pm, much of the workers start heading to the bus stop and they all give you responses about work being over. Nothing is generic.

OK, got to get a little more work done then back to Shenmue.
Got to find out about this deal that is going down!

I am officially in uncharted territory.

Bike racing section...Awesome.
199f60b5.jpg

Cinematic of riding back home after winning Nazomi (also a cool callback to the Sega arcade hardware) back:

e508daae.jpg

And now I just got fired from my job, and I actually felt the shame that Ryo must have been feeling. Not too happy about the deal I made to get Nazomi back.

I just finished Shenmue. It took me 11 years and four attempts but I did it.

Closing thoughts:

• So much love was put into this game
  • The people in this game were more alive than just about any game I have played. Much more than GTA IV
  • I can't wait to play Shenmue II when it comes this week. Need to find out who that woman I am dreaming of is...
  • The music was fantastic
  • The voice acting is pretty terrible
  • This is now in my top 5 games of all time (along with Ocarina of Time, Halo, Uncharted 2, and Half Life 2)
  • Just solidified the Dreamcast as my favorite system of all time
  • Now onto another Dreamcast game until Shenmue 2 arrives
  • Officially a part of the Shenmue Defense Force

And I said it before and I will say it again, the art design and direction is stunning:

975412ff.jpg

6d9c657d.jpg

Months and months from my childhood were wasted on these games... it’s embarrassing. I just had to own every capsule figure, grab every packet of virtual food, win every forklift race and waste hours making a collection of winning cans.

kevinski

Banned
I made it a point to play through both games recently, but I only ended up finishing the first game and got maybe halfway through the second game. If a third game is ever released in the series, then I really hope that it has more of a variety in part-time jobs. The job in the second game is just tedious, and the other ways of making money just aren't very enjoyable for me. In either case, I did really enjoy the first game.

I forgot to mention that walking through the towns on my way to the harbor for the last time was very well done. It gave me the emotional response that I am sure Yu was going go. I felt like I was going to miss the areas in the first game. Now to go find something else to play until part II gets here.

Darktails

I feel such deep-rooted heavy nostalgia for Shenmue and its successor. It's almost unbearable, really. *sigh*
Does anybody else feel like this?

Great thread, by the way. :)

Scullibundo said:
No way man. The dub in Shenmue is bad, but tolerable, but the dubbing in Shenmue II makes Shenmue one's dub look like it was done by Disney/Ghibli (known for good dubs).

Oh, I agree that it's far worse in Shenmue II than it is in the first game, which wasn't great to begin with.

But I do think the Xbox version gets a little too much hate in the hardcore circles. If you can find the Xbox version for $10 and the Dreamcast version for $100, I'd probably recommend saving your cash and just playing the Xbox version. Although I can understand why many people would be perfectly willing to drop the extra cash.

For the record, I'm in the UK and bought a copy a day or two before it came out, because no one cared about Dreamcast street dates by the end of 2001. Then picked up the Xbox version for cheap a couple of month after it came out to satisfy my morbid curiosity about that version.

I would like a version of Shenmue 1 with Japanese voices and English subs.

My PAL copy of Shenmue II came in the mail today! Thanks USPS Priority Mail!!! Looks like I am going right into that tonight!

CoachKevin said:
My PAL copy of Shenmue II came in the mail today! Thanks USPS Priority Mail!!! Looks like I am going right into that tonight!

Prepare to play the greatest game ever. Fuck I'm jealous.

Scullibundo said:
Prepare to play the greatest game ever. Fuck I'm jealous.

Eating dinner right now then booting it up!

BTW, the PAL DC game cases are bad ass. Think I might need to start collecting PAL DC games...

I have a euro copy on shenmue 2 it was the only game ive ever imported and still havnt been able to play it because im an idiot and sold my dreamcast, I still have it in perfect condition waiting to be played. I think I might pick up a dreamcast to play it.

Mindman

Darktails said:
I feel such deep-rooted heavy nostalgia for Shenmue and its successor. It's almost unbearable, really. *sigh*
Does anybody else feel like this?

ME!!

Anyone know if the Xbox version runs in widescreen on the 360? Might look sweet upscaled to 720p...

Mindman said:
ME!!

Anyone know if the Xbox version runs in widescreen on the 360? Might look sweet upscaled to 720p...
No it doesn't I tried. There are some graphical glitches too. And I listened to the english voicework today. I can deal with Ryo, but the rest are shitty actors with NY accents.

Outtrigger888 said:
I have a euro copy on shenmue 2 it was the only game ive ever imported and still havnt been able to play it because im an idiot and sold my dreamcast, I still have it in perfect condition waiting to be played. I think I might pick up a dreamcast to play it.

If you have a good PC i suggest DC emulator, NullDc...

PS:Never sell your systems you only regret it in the long run.

ajim

kevinski said:
I made it a point to play through both games recently, but I only ended up finishing the first game and got maybe halfway through the second game. If a third game is ever released in the series, then I really hope that it has more of a variety in part-time jobs. The job in the second game is just tedious, and the other ways of making money just aren't very enjoyable for me. In either case, I did really enjoy the first game.
I dunno, dude, gambling, arm wrestling, and kicking ass were awesome ways of making money to me. It was so backstreet alley and shady as fuck. Just what you'd expect from Hong Kong in the 80s, from some dude trying to avenge his father, whilst having to deal with the scum that go with it.

So good.

does anyone actually know what they say in the bob's pizza song?
welcome to pizza?
dobuita pizza?

WILL WE EVER KNOW?
Is this real? lol. Its just 'Dobuita Pizza!'

Funny you made this thread, as I just started playing this game a few weeks ago as well.

I actually just bought a DC for the first time ever(wanted one at launch but decided to wait for a PS2 instead).

Anyway, I'm on disc 2 and this game is blowing my mind and like you this already has become one of my favorite games of all time. Though I don't think it makes my top 5, but definitely top 15-20.

The level of detail in the world, and the character models still look great after all these years(hell they look better than the generic bald soldiers we get in games this gen). This game really was ahead of its time. I'm enjoying it so much, I purchased a guide so I can see everything in the game when I replay it.

Great thread!

Just finished Disc 1!!! Amazing pace and transition to disc 2. Play this game!

edit: Shit, I am a dumbass. Wrong thread...

So I just finished Shenmue...

Wow, definitely one of my favorite video game experiences. So much to say about this game that was influential and how we really haven't seen this level of detail/interactivity in a game since.

The world, the characters, the music, fuck I'm so excited to play Part II and I'm ready to go back and mess around and do stuff I hadn't done before.

I cannot recommend this game enough and I can only pray that one day, we see a Shenmue III.

Top Bottom