• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - Rushed Chaos

RK128

On my journey though the Sonic series, this game is one I knew I had to cover. I sold my copy back a year or so back, so this is more of a reflecting thread on the title but once you experience this.......'masterpiece', you don't forget it. Hope you enjoy my ramble on what many consider one of the worst games ever made :).

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

I got this during the summer of 2011, two months or so before Generations came out. I wanted to experience this, as I never played this game. Everyone said it was horrible and now that I got the means to play this (owned a PS3) I said "Why not? What's the worse that could happen :D?"

Fast forward to when I got home and played through Wave Ocean and died a lot of times, losing all my lives. Started over again and the ride kept on going. I felt slightly annoyed but kept on going. Played through Sonic's Story in two days, played Shadow's story in a week, and beat Silver's story within another week and beat the Final Story after I got home from high school one day.....and the ride was over.

I came away with a game that I had more enjoyment then anger toward and I'm looking forward to shar.....

dBiRmR.gif

...ing my opinions of this game with you all :).

Lets start with the Blue Blur himself, Sonic the Hedgehog.

His gameplay is a clone of his Adventure 2 self; he can homing attack, spindash, grind on rails and jump into...

ringslost.png
(Using images from Sonic 1 here due to not finding images of this online)

I'm sorry, you can't jump into robots anymore. Guess Sonic got less spike...despite his spikes being really long here :l. Stupid game is stupid. Anyway, Sonic has most of his moves from SA2, including the Bounce and Light Speed Dash (though you have to buy those from a shop), so he should feel fun :).

Nope, he has some major control issues that oddly enough, Shadow the Hedgehog fixed a YEAR EARILER. You had unique buttons for the light speed dash and rail switching. Something Sonic never bothered learning from his edgey friend, leading to rail grinding be far worse then in SA2 and 'accidentally' using a bounce instead of a lightspeed dash. Fun, oh how fun ;).

You also have the mach speed sections and they control like, mind my language, ass X(. Sonic can't move left/right in the air, his wall-jump animation is clearly unfinished and everything feels so stiff. I will say this though, my favorite moment in the game was this section of Sonic's story:
maxresdefault.jpg

Kingdom Valley Water was such a breathtaking moment for me, with the music being soo good, the controls working for me for once and overall, this being a nice moment. Sonic running on water walls and flying all over the place was nice looking.

Then we come to Tails and Knuckles.....many how downgraded you are here guys :(.

Tails doesn't have his Tail Spin attack from SA1 but instead the 'great' dummy rings he got from Heroes...and they work worse here X(. You can aim them in First Person but the camera snaps back to you, making things really odd to control. His flying and speed feel gimped too, so overall, really bad to play as.

But our boy Knuckles is better, right :D? He felt great to play as in SA2 and his Heroes version was quite powerful, Sonic Team couldn't fuck his gam......

dBiRmR.gif

....eplay up? They do sadly :(. I will talk about another character, Rouge the Bat here too, as they play the same. Both attack differently (Rouge = Throws bombs that look like Pokeballs, Knuckles = Gimped punches with horrid input lag/delay) but they can climb walls.

But can they jump off of them :)? Nope XD! For something that was done right on the Dreamcast, they fuck it up on the PS3/360 :'). You have to mash the X button tons of times before they consider jumping off the wall of you have to get hit to get off. I would be more upset with this but I just laugh, more so thanks to this amazing moment from the Grumps playthrough of the game XD!

Sonic's levels are odd, as while the gameplay issues make them really bad to play, some of them have decent level design. Tropical Jungle, Wave Ocean, Kingdom Valley and Crisis City were enjoyable to me thanks to some decent level design at points.

Oh, how could I forget the last piece of Sonic's gameplay, the Snowboard.

You know how fun it is in SA1 and SA2 :D? With the power of the PS3/360, it could only get better right?

tumblr_me0yqibLKY1r85fv7o1_r2_250.png

Another check of the list :'). The controls are so bad, with Sonic having no momentum going down hill.....but can go..fast, up hill? Something is very wrong here XD! Jumping is really bad too, with you forcing the hold down X to charge your jump, then releasing the button to get off ramps. Sonic just....jumps, no tricks or fancy poses, just jumps.

Going to post latter about Shadow and Silver (along with the horrid story) but want to say one more thing about Sonic; he is not Sonic here. He has no personality, he isn't cracking one liners, just....being a robot here. Its like Sonic himself said to SEGA "Listen, I'm in this piece of crap because I have to be. Will do the job but I'm not going to care.....you still want me to be here despite that? Ugh....Tails, Knuckles, lets get this crap over with......"

Hope you all enjoy this thread and I will talk about.....

dBiRmR.gif

.....everything else latter :).

Zafir

I was always going to dig out my old copy and give it another play for the lolz.

Man, what a waste of money it was. I bought it full price on release expecting something like Sonic Adventure 3. It was no where near close. :(
The one nice thing I'll say about this game is that the music is pretty good
Also this
Pretty much. :p

MetalSlug

I can't believe I managed to survive through all of the game. These days I'd get annoyed having to wait for loading screens to finish.

Village

Shadow the hedgehog was a cool dude in that game. Its like he knew the game he was in was shit and his objective was to end the bullshit as fast as possible. His entire narrative of that game was getting to the actual point, and the main bad guy saw him thought he was hype as shit and modeled himself after him.

That was a weird game, music is great

Heroes is SA3 in everything but name. StH 2006 is basically 4.

sonic 06 is sonic heroes 2.

RK128

Shadow the hedgehog was a cool dude in that game. Its like he knew the game he was in was shit and his objective was to end the bullshit as fast as possible. His entire narrative of that game was getting to the actual point, and the main bad guy saw him thought he was hype as shit and modeled himself after him.

That was a weird game, music is great

sonic 06 is sonic heroes 2.

Shadow the Hedgehog was enjoyable to me because how how so-bad-its-good the story was. 06 has the quality too, but Shadow was so on point with this, I really wonder if the writing for the game was directed by Sonic Team be "This is a cheesey 80's/90's action film but with Shadow. Go nuts ;)".

Great point and I enjoyed that element of the game for that reason. OST was good too; loved Gun Fortress theme.

RK128

Which portal did you go through?

Amy.....didn't want to push bestiality man :(.

Edit: Also made a trophy list for 06 a few weeks back XD!

"Empty Flame" - Platinum
"S-Speed of Sound" - Beat Wave Ocean as Sonic
"That's not how Loops Work...." - Walk through a Loop in Wave Ocean as Sonic
"Goal Ring in the Ocean" - Fling yourself off the final Loop in Wave Ocean
"Some Flame Shield" - Walk over the Sand in Dusty Desert but run out of energy
"Its No Use!" - Lose to Silver one time
"That Train was Radical!" - Complete Mach Speed Section without dying or loosing Rings
"Hiding Place Achieved!" - Stop moving when snowboarding in White Acropolis
"Riding Up Hill!" - Turn around using the snowboard in either White Acropolis or Crisis City
"That Tornado is Carrying a Car!" - Do not get hit with Cars during Mach Speed section in Crisis City
"Water Dash" - Do not die in Kingdom Valley's Mach Speed Section
"Drawing the Line in the Sand" - Knuckles climbs the wall in Flame Core for 5 minutes
"Aquatic Monkey Balls" - Water Ball doesn't get hit during Aquatic Base
"The Princess Is Always in Another Castle" - Beat All Eggman Boss Fights
"Strange Love Triangle" - Complete Third Mission of Trials of Solenana
"Walk the Dog?" - Complete Dog Side-Mission in Solenana
"I AM the Hero" - Complete Chase the Kids Mission in Solenana
"You Serious?" - Complete Find the Captain Mission in Solenana
"My Bros are With Me" - Complete all Tails/Knuckles Tag-Team Missions in Solenana
"Sonic B---Outch!" - Use Blue Gem and hit a wall
"Sling Shot" - Use Sky Blue Gem
"Mini Me" - Use Purple Gem
"The Edge Comes Back!" Complete White Acroplis as Shadow
"Meh, Guns Aren't my Thing Anymore" - Use Chaos Spear 20 Times
"This is my Kind Of City" - Ride the Buggy in Crisis City for 2 Minutes
"Auto-Pilot" - Do not move the analog stick during Hang Gliding section in Wave Ocean
"Sticky Fingers" - Climb on Walls as Rouge for five minutes
"Robotic Flight" - 'Hover' as Omega for one minute
"My Darkside Rises!" - Beat Mephlius Fights
"All Hail Shadow" - Beat Shadow's Story
"Math is Fun....." - Beat Math side-mission as Shadow
"Some Race" - Beat Racing side-mission as Shadow
"Days of Future Past" - Complete Aquatic Base as Shadow or Silver
"Hedgehog Trunks" - Beat Crisis City as Silver
"Gotta Go Fast" - Walk through the entire hub of Solenena as Silver
"Lovely Forest Jog" - Walk through the entire hub of Solenena Forest as Silver
"Desert of Fustration" - Beat Dusty Desert within 10 minutes
"This.....Works?!" - Beat Ball Puzzle in Dusty Desert in 1 minute
"Its NO USE!!!!!" - Fight Sonic and hold him in place for 2 minutes
"Dark Sonic?" - Fight Shadow and hold him in place for 30 seconds
"Times is a mess" - Beat Silvers Story
"Fire Speed" - Beat Wave Ocean as Blaze
"This looks similar...." - Beat Wave Ocean as Tails
"Its not over yet?!" - Unlock Last Story
"We are all coming" - Beat End of the World
"Fairy Tale Kiss" - See cut-scene before final Fight
"Its Over!" - Beat Last Story
"Wasting Time is Fun" - Collect every silver metal
"I hate myself" - Beat Hard mode for the three characters
"Amego Mayhem" - Beat Amigo Mode

The game has a lot of material to work with :').

Village

Shadow the Hedgehog was enjoyable to me because how how so-bad-its-good the story was. 06 has the quality too, but Shadow was so on point with this, I really wonder if the writing for the game was directed by Sonic Team be "This is a cheesey 80's/90's action film but with Shadow. Go nuts ;)".

Great point and I enjoyed that element of the game for that reason. OST was good too; loved Gun Fortress theme.

I was talking about shadow's story in 06, but yeah. I wouldn't mind if sega went to platinum and just asked them to make shadow revengence and in that same vain, had a bunch of dumb dramatic plot points that they just took seriously. Like it wasn't fucking nuts. I'm a fan of the black arms base track

On the subject of 06, while I'm not fond of the technical aspects of the level design, visually I actually quite enjoy them. I really like that castle level everything is all gray and blue I dig it.

Hated how they stripped blaze away from her game to be silver's tag along, like the fuck that was that about. Can't a girl be her own character with out reducing her to some smucks boyfriend, damn. We never see marime again so I am to assume at least in game form, that's still a thing sadly enough.

RK128

I was talking about shadow's story in 06, but yeah. I wouldn't mind if sega went to platinum and just asked them to make shadow revengence and in that same vain, had a bunch of dumb dramatic plot points that they just took seriously. Like it wasn't fucking nuts. I'm a fan of the black arms base track

On the subject of 06, while I'm not fond of the technical aspects of the level design, visually I actually quite enjoy them. I really like that castle level everything is all gray and blue I dig it.

Hated how they stripped blaze away from her game to be silver's tag along, like the fuck that was that about. Can't a girl be her own character with out reducing her to some smucks boyfriend, damn. We never see marime again so I am to assume at least in game form, that's still a thing sadly enough.

Platinum Games X Sonic Team present, Shadow the Hedgehog: Chaos Revengance.....Fall 2017 XD!

Going on topic, I see your point with Shadow in 06 too; his story has the most depth and he is the one that gets stuff done. When I get to him latter, will talk about how his section of 06 is oddly the most polished compared to everything else.

Blaze in 06 was strange too :l. If you wanted a fast character for Silver's story.....just make Amy faster or, I don't know, make Silver faster.

His gameplay is a clone of his Adventure 2 self; he can homing attack, spindash, grind on rails and jump into...

ringslost.png
(Using images from Sonic 1 here due to not finding images of this online)

I'm sorry, you can't jump into robots anymore. Guess Sonic got less spike...despite his spikes being really long here :l. Stupid game is stupid.

So the really, really screwed up thing is that the game was in such disrepair, apparently different regions tried to fix bugs as fast as they could before pressing it to disc, and ended up fixing different ones. I could be wrong about this, but I think in the European versions (and even then, it may only be just on one console) jumping into enemies DOES work like traditional Sonic games.

Because why in the hell would it not?

Sometimes I'll pick up a bad game just to see just how bad it is. I'll never do that with this game.

That's a trap people fall into. They go in expecting Big Rigs, but Sonic 2006 isn't bad in that way. It's just passable enough that you unintentionally start playing it seriously, then shitty little things go wrong that screw that over. Not funny big things, it's just that the game fails you when you need to rely on it working to succeed.

Occasionally the big things happen, but there's so much of a slog that you usually aren't prepared for it. You're left staring at the screen, you may briefly laugh in disbelief, but it's not really a laugh-out-loud thing. And then it's back to slogging through as usual.

RK128

Sometimes I'll pick up a bad game just to see just how bad it is. I'll never do that with this game.

If you go in expecting a good game, its really horrid. If you go in knowing its horrid, you can find some enjoyment and be plesently surprised at points (hence my Kingdom Valley Water example).

06 is a game that people interested Sonic should experience at least once to get an idea at how low the series was at one point.

RK128

So the really, really screwed up thing is that the game was in such disrepair, apparently different regions tried to fix bugs as fast as they could before pressing it to disc, and ended up fixing different ones. I could be wrong about this, but I think in the European versions (and even then, it may only be just on one console) jumping into enemies DOES work like traditional Sonic games.

Because why in the hell would it not?

I think that was the case with the PS3 version too; that version came out a bit latter then the 360 one (I think....) so more bugs were fixed before that was sent to print.

But I did hear about what you said before.....would be interesting to see if people went across all the versions and see which one fixes the amount of glitches.

RK128

Are there any differences between xbox 360 and PS3 vers?

I'm not sure, as I only played the PS3 version....

But I guess the major differences is that the 360 version has brighter colors and runs a bit better while the PS3 version has some (not all, but some) of the glitches slightly fixed a bit.

Gattuso

so many things wrong with this game but I still like it for all the wrong reasons haha. I hated how there's a constant momentum when jumping, making platforming quite hard to actually do. I agree the music is so great and probably one of the very few things good in the game.

what made the game fun for me was being able to screw around a lot as sonic due to the gems not depleting the gauge and because the game's gamesave file is easy to read with parts of it in plain text, making things more fun for me because you can do all sorts of stuff to the game with the gamesave alone with that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wouldn't say so, it had the weird trio hero thing going on.

Didn't like it much, personally.

There's some funny lets plays. :D

If you think about it, Sonic Adventure 2 is about weird trios doing three different things. SH is an attempt to make it three in one go.

Zafir

If you think about it, Sonic Adventure 2 is about weird trios doing three different things. SH is an attempt to make it three in one go.

Sonic Adventure 2 is still the same game play as the first Sonic Adventure though. They just split it between Light and Dark.

Sonic Heroes they twisted the game play up quite a bit.

RK128

Sorry for the long wait guys, next up on the chopping block is Silver the Hedgehog :D.

latest

"Its no use!" - Silver the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2006

His gameplay is split up between three characters, himself, Amy Rose and Blaze the Cat.

Silver's gameplay is very slow, focusing more on platforming rather then speed. He can pick up objects by holding down the right bumper, and can throw object picked up with the Square Button. He can also stun foes in front of him by pressing Square (takes a while to work) or after getting an upgrade, pressing it in the air to stun foes around him when he lands on the ground.

I honestly didn't mind his gameplay too much, as most of his levels are quite open and you can tackle them using the different paths in the levels. But, his gameplay has a number of iss......

dBiRmR.gif

....ues. He has an energy bar for how long he can pick up objects and hovering in the air. Now, if you are trying to move at a fast pace (like you would don in any Sonic game), you will jump after killing a few foes.....but your energy bar isn't fully filed yet. So mid-hover, you fall flat on your face and die :l. Not fun, not fun at all :(.

You also are stuck relying on boxes and objects in the levels to attack, as you cant just jump into people :l. So it makes fights drag on and as a result, he feels even slower.

He also moves quite slowly, despite being able to fly in his intro cut-scene :l. A lot of fun walking through long, massive hub worlds with his slow jog X(.

Before moving on to Blaze and Amy, might as well cover the hub worlds as they sure are lovely......

The issue is that they are not only massive in size and the character move so slow.....but they are so boring. Characters are bland looking humans and have stale dialog. Not to mention the missions are stupid. Yes, this very unfinished game, which could of used this time to fix core elements, has over 60 missions to complete :). Why would people not want to experience these missions :D?

THIS SCREEN!
dBiRmR.gif

dBiRmR.gif

dBiRmR.gif

Loading, loading, loading......very few games actively piss me off, but this is the only thing 06 does that outright pisses me off. Every mission takes four, count FOUR loading screens to load very intensive text boxes, the mission itself, another outstanding text box and lastly the results screen. Even if the missions are fun, you don't want to deal with these stupid loading screens to play them X(.

One last thing with Silver, his levels have the most offensive part of the game:
hqdefault.jpg

You have to use his Square button attack to push this puzzle into the hole at the end of a path. You have a number of holes it can fall down on, every hit causes a 9-number timer to go down and it goes down the longer you wait. This took me 20 minutes to beat, and many deal with this puzzle for up to an hour at most X(. Shows in very vivid detail the worst elements to this game.

Moving on to the his amego characters (name for extra characters, like how Sonic has Tails & Knuckles in his story), we have Amy Rose and Blaze the Cat.
209830-175289-blaze.png

Amy is unfinished. Nothing more nothing less, she is clearly the last-minute addition to this 'masterpiece' of a game. She can 'attack' with her hammer but really it does nothing. Every single hit has such a small hit box, that you will very easily attack up to six times before it kills the foes and only the sixth attack does damage X(.

Not to mention her stupid double jump and turning invisible (for....no real reason; game doesn't bother to explain how she can pull this off :l. Maybe its a nod to Heroes or something....) do nothing to help. She is horrid to play as.

Blaze is Sonic, but better. She has better controls compared to Sonic, has a homing attack mapped to the Square button, her double jump is really good and she has a fire attack that can attack a lot of foes at once. I had fun when I played as her and its a shame that the game only lets you play as her twice (once in Crisis City, another time for Wave Ocean).

Silver's story is more interesting compared to Sonic, as rather then it being a shitty knock-off of Super Mario Brothers, its him hunting down Sonic and fighting a creature that destroyed his home. Its nothing to write home about but I didn't ignore the scenes like I did during Sonic's story.

Overall, Silvers story mode is meh, with the only bright spots being a handful of levels where Silver's powers come to good use (Kingdom Valley, Crisis City, Tropical Jungle, ect) and when you get to play as Blaze (Crisis City, Wave Ocean).

HUELEN10

RK, you mean you DIDN'T buy the DLC when you had the chance?!?!?!?

You can play as Blaze in Aquatic Base & Tropical Jungle AND White Acropolis!

As for me and this game... we go way back. I've bought no fewer than 7 copies, and I absolutely love this train wreck; it's fun.

So Much so that I plan to take off for its 10th anniversary to livestream it with DLC.

RK128

RK, you mean you DIDN'T buy the DLC when you had the chance?!?!?!?

You can play as Blaze in Aquatic Base & Tropical Jungle AND White Acropolis!

As for me and this game... we go way back. I've bought no fewer than 7 copies, and I absolutely love this train wreck; it's fun.

So Much so that I plan to take off for its 10th anniversary to livestream it with DLC.

It never came out for the PS3 :l. Its only on the 360 version.

Zipzo

Banned
2006 was the last attempt they made at an "epic" scale story, that's really the only thing that I want them to sort of re-explore, but because of the game's failure (at no uncertain level) they probably never intend to retread those steps and attempt a Sonic game of those types.

That means games like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 (and by design, 2006), will probably be forever unique in the franchise for what they bring, and I find that sad, to be honest. 2006 was muddled with design flaws and just in-general bad development and more bugs you can see at a zoo, but I never felt like its tone or original intentions were bad (I mean you can argue the furry kiss stuff was bad I guess but I didn't let it bother me).

I just miss levels with verticality and surrounding 3D space to explore. Do you remember taking shortcuts in Final Rush or Speed Highway? Some of the most epic 3D spaces you could ever explore in a Sonic game, but now we're stuck with "Go straight and boost" gameplay probably until that plays itself out because people have decided unanimously almost that Sonic just plays better that way.

It makes me sad.

RK128

2006 was the last attempt they made at an "epic" scale story, that's really the only thing that I want them to sort of re-explore, but because of the game's failure (at no uncertain level) they probably never intend to retread those steps and attempt a Sonic game of those types.

That means games like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 (and by design, 2006), will probably be forever unique in the franchise for what they bring, and I find that sad, to be honest. 2006 was muddled with design flaws and just in-general bad development and more bugs you can see at a zoo, but I never felt like its tone or original intentions were bad (I mean you can argue the furry kiss stuff was bad I guess but I didn't let it bother me).

I just miss levels with verticality and surrounding 3D space to explore. Do you remember taking shortcuts in Final Rush or Speed Highway? Some of the most epic 3D spaces you could ever explore in a Sonic game, but now we're stuck with "Go straight and boost" gameplay probably until that plays itself out because people have decided unanimously almost that Sonic just plays better that way.

It makes me sad.

While I agree its a shame, considering 3D Sonic levels during SA1 and SA2 were great with there level design (love how fun the SA2 Speed Levels are), at least the Modern Era games are polished and fun.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Honestly even if the gameplay wasn't an unfinished mess it still wouldn't have been good as the story is dumb and takes itself waaaaay to seriously, switching between character was still a bad thing, when I chose to play as Sonic I expect to play as Sonic from start to end and not switch to Tails in a middle of a level, the hub world was pointless in adventure and it's pointless here as well. I also didn't like Silver and I didn't get why Blaze was forced to hang out with that idiot.

Honestly Sonic 06 really shat the on the franchise to the point that Sonic Team went back to the drawing board and just kept it simple for their next Sonic games. There was a reason why we haven't played as anyone else in a main series Sonic game after Sonic 06.

The only good thing about Sonic 06 is that it had the common sense to write itself of existent.

Nanashrew

Banned
The ball puzzle in Silver's level is absolute crap. Thankfully there are easy skips to just clip through some doors no problem.

Something about 3D Sonic games though, even if I do enjoy some like Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, the worlds are so fragile. Clipping through things is so very easy to do, especially in Sonic 06 because it was such a rush job.

RK128

Ow the Edge joins the party :D!

latest

Shadow's portion of the 06 is very strange, as while it has issues like the rest of 06.....his story feels the most polished in a few ways.

One thing to note is how Shadow plays, as he is a Sonic clone like in SA2 but a bit different. He can homing attack but mashing the X button lets you do punches and kicks, letting you attack foes longer. You also have a more effective slide kick and some Chaos powers (Chaos Spear and Gimped Chaos Blast once you buy it form the shop). It feels well enough but like Sonic, he is far slower then he was in Adventure 2, Heroes or Shadow.

His rides from Shadow the Edgehog return too, with him having the following:
-Buggy: Big, bulky car that can shoot missiles. Works well enough but can tip over....making it useless :l.
-Glider: A glider with missiles and you don't have to move it at all XD! Two out of the three times you use the thing, you can literally put the controller down and you will still pass through the section. It controls fine and its not horrid, but its funny how un-needed it is.
-Hovercraft: Most buggy ride he has. It can hover over water or sand but once it tips over.....you die :l. So much fun when the outstanding camera locks being a pillar and you can't see what's ahead of you ;).
-Motorcycle:
owML79uZLHnfa.gif

It returns from Shadow and it works better.....but its still dumb :l. This was only used in two stages and the first one (Radical Train) its with the Mach-Speed section....so much fun :).

Shadow also ditches using Guns this time out, because "That's not my style anymore, man". So, it makes the many combat he encounters all the more boring, repetitve and soul draining :(. Honestly would of been fine with the guns returning here if it made combat better. Otherwise, his levels are okay. When not using stupid rides, his gameplay works. His homing attack has more range then Sonic's, most of his level design is lifted right out of Sonic's story and he can be fun. Its just that his levels last way too long, so overall, its just okay. The Edgehog does a better job then Sonic honestly.

Now we come to Shadow's Amego Characters, Omega and Rouge.
tumblr_m4yyf7oHHq1qdtw9eo1_500.png

Omega is, like Blaze, quite fun to play as. He can fly in the air by rapidly tapping the X button, has powerful fire ball attacks and his top speed is faster then Sonic's or Shadow's. Yep, the slow but powerful robot is faster then the Blue Blur and his Edgy friend.

You have no logic game!

Omega can easily break any level he is in due to his flying, so its a lot of fun to play as him XD!

Rouge has the same issues Knuckles has, so will copy-and-paste my earlier points:
"Both attack differently (Rouge = Throws bombs that look like Pokeballs, Knuckles = Gimped punches with horrid input lag/delay) but they can climb walls.

But can they jump off of them :)? Nope XD! For something that was done right on the Dreamcast, they fuck it up on the PS3/360 :'). You have to mash the X button tons of times before they consider jumping off the wall of you have to get hit to get off. I would be more upset with this but I just laugh, more so thanks to this amazing moment from the Grumps playthrough of the game XD!"

Rouge does have one thing over Knuckles though; her gliding is much better then Knuckles, dropping slower compared to Knuckles (which drops like a rock).

Shadow's story is honestly decent. Where Sonic feels like bad romance fiction and Silver is 'meh', Shadow gets stuff done. He faces the main foe of the game, he leads the pack and has the best one liners, and has one of my favorite moments in the game:
PY5DTf.gif

Our lovable Edgehog has a great role here and 06 should of been Shadow 06 honestly with how major his story is.

So, my overall point is that Shadow's portion of 06 felt the most polished to me and while it clearly has issues (level design, glitches for Rouge, bad combat design, ect) it was more enjoyable the Sonic for me.

Edit: Going to make one final update later that covers more about the story, the music and other elements I missed out on :D. Hope you all enjoy it later :).

HUELEN10

Sonic 06 truly is Shadow's finest hour; I think story-wise, they nailed him. It was great seeing Team Dark in action.

RK128

Going to post the final update now, so I hope you all enjoy it :).

Now that I covered each hedgehog's story, will be covering other elements of the game, like the overall story, the soundtrack, and the Final Episode section.

Story:
My god.....this is just amazing :'). Shadow and Silver's stories range from 'meh' to 'decent' but Sonic's....where to begin XD?

Our good blue blur runs into the land of Solena and he fights Eggman who looks....oh, um.....what's the word, horrifying? grotesque? nightmare fuel? I will let you guy's decide:

latest

Anyway, Sonic fights him due to the fact he is after the princess of the land Else, voice by Meg Griffin from Season 1-3 of Family Guy. Not joking about that either XD! Moving on, the game's plot suddenly becomes Super Mario but without any of the charm.

Sonic, Else and Eggman all run around the clock after each other; she gets captured, Sonic saves her from Eggman, she wanders off or get surprised, Eggman captures her, so on and repeat.

Remember when Sonic was different from Mario? Or remember how Amy Rose was made to be the fan girl that chases Sonic but he hates this and runs away? Now he suddenly likes his human lady and chases after her :l.

Sega Does what Nintendon't, right guys XD?

So this cycle repeats a lot but what else is noteworthy about Sonic's story.....why, is love with Else. Yes, the game goes there with the awkard romance between a blue hedgehog with massive spikes and a head three times the human head & a female who is completely the opposite of Sonic (fearful, scared, sheltered). Such a perfect match :').

I honestly didn't mind this until the end, which I will get to in a minute but this was such a boring plot and one I had no interest in following. Shadow upstaging Sonic whenever he appeared was interesting and the GCI cut-scenes were nice as Sonic acted like Sonic here (cocky, full of charm, had one liners, ect).

Music:
If this game does one thing right, its the soundtrack. In many ways, the game is worth buying just to say "Good job on the soundtrack Sega Sound Team :)".

Crisis City
Kingdom Valley
Wave Ocean
White Acropolis
Tropical Jungle
Aquatic Base Level 1 and 2
Flame Core The Cavern
His World
All Hail Shadow
Final Boss Phase 2

All of these themes sound great and its the best part to come out of this trainwreck of a game.

Final Episode:
This is the climax of the game and boy does it deliver in all the wrong ways :l. After hours of slogging through broken mechanics, long levels, and more, we face one more level and one final boss. It can't get worse, right :D?

sonic-dies-o.gif

.......The Blue Blur dies O_O! Just.....I get you need to rise the stakes for the final boss, but you didn't have to kill Sonic in SA1 or SA2 X(. This Gif describes perfectly what 06 did to the Sonic series, it killed it for a while until latter games like Unleashed, Colors, and Generations started coming out.

So, after the death of the iconic hedgehog, how can you top that? A long level using assets from prior stages where you play as every character but Sonic and Blaze (she's gone, you know, the fun character alongside Omega and at times Sonic :l?). And its bad.

You have time portals popping up all over the place and if you touch it, you die. And you only have five lives too, you're prior lives from other stories don't stack up; how lovely X(.

Silver being slow, Amy being broken, Knuckles/Rouge not being able to get off walls.....all of this is thrown right at once. I died a lot here and I really hated my time with this :l.

After that horrid level, we see a story scene that leads to the final boss. And its iconic for sure:

800px-SonicEliseKiss.png

Trophy Unlocked: Fairy Tale Kiss

Lets move on to the final boss, please :(?

We get a super fight against the big bad, Solaris and we get play as Super Sonic, Silver and Shadow.

Silver can pick things up and thrown them back, Shadow can charge up Chaos Spears to shot at the boss and Sonic can build up a gauge that lets him slam his dead into the boss.

Its honestly fun and the amazing soundtrack works its magic here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAx3hTZeyBw&list=PLvNp0Boas723k0aBhOnIBp1cYAp8S89i7&index=88

So, the game ends after the fight with one more CGI scene and the experience ends.

- - - - - - -

Looking back on this has been something, as while I didn't hate this game like many do, its quite horrid. I joked a lot with my comments on this game but this really is not a good game.

Its issues are major and they can ruin the good parts. Overall, its a game that I'm happy happened, as it forced Sonic Team to snap out of it and start over.

We got Unleashed, Colors and Generations years later and many enjoy or love those games :).

Well, now that this is done, going to cover some great Sonic's now :D!

Sonic 2, 3&K and CD are coming up next, so hope you all enjoy those threads when they land :).

Zipzo

Banned
Honestly even if the gameplay wasn't an unfinished mess it still wouldn't have been good as the story is dumb and takes itself waaaaay to seriously, switching between character was still a bad thing, when I chose to play as Sonic I expect to play as Sonic from start to end and not switch to Tails in a middle of a level, the hub world was pointless in adventure and it's pointless here as well. I also didn't like Silver and I didn't get why Blaze was forced to hang out with that idiot.

Honestly Sonic 06 really shat the on the franchise to the point that Sonic Team went back to the drawing board and just kept it simple for their next Sonic games. There was a reason why we haven't played as anyone else in a main series Sonic game after Sonic 06.

The only good thing about Sonic 06 is that it had the common sense to write itself of existent.

I'm going to have to disagree with this, mostly.

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, and by relation Sonic 2006 didn't "take themselves too seriously". These games drew heavily upon the tone and themes used in the comic book series, which are undeniably dark.

The comic book series has war, murder, world-ending cataclysmic events, fights to the death. Legitimate conflict-drama. Sonic isn't just a snappy one-liner trope character, he's a fleshed out personality with flaws. The comic also doesn't just focus on Sonic, but many of the characters (Freedom Fighters) who were actually an integral and popular part of the series, which is inverse to how people see Sonic side-kick focus these days (at least in the games, people hate not playing as Sonic).

The series was around long before Sonic Adventure 1 was even made, so Sonic as a franchise was no strange to melodramatic material and alternate character focus.

Taking that in to consideration, Sonic 2006 was simply following a trend they thought to have worked with SA1 and 2, it was just a shame that the game itself was...well...bad.

RK128

I'm going to have to disagree with this, mostly.

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, and by relation Sonic 2006 didn't "take themselves too seriously". These games drew heavily upon the tone and themes used in the comic book series, which are undeniably dark.

The comic book series has war, murder, world-ending cataclysmic events, fights to the death. Legitimate conflict-drama. Sonic isn't just a snappy one-liner trope character, he's a fleshed out personality with flaws. The comic also doesn't just focus on Sonic, but many of the characters (Freedom Fighters) who were actually an integral and popular part of the series, which is inverse to how people see Sonic side-kick focus these days (at least in the games, people hate not playing as Sonic).

The series was around long before Sonic Adventure 1 was even made, so Sonic as a franchise was no strange to melodramatic material and alternate character focus.

Taking that in to consideration, Sonic 2006 was simply following a trend they thought to have worked with SA1 and 2, it was just a shame that the game itself was...well...bad.

SA1 and SA2 worked due to them being decent/good games compared to 06 which.....really is quite far from a good game honestly :l.

Story in Sonic can work, as SA2, Unleashed and Black Knight prove. If done wrong, it can be quite distracting though :l.

Top Bottom