• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Super Mario 3D World

nintendo-super-mario-3d-world-target-sale.jpg

Ive been thinking about this game alot as we get over closer to Super mario odyssey. Odyssey by all accounts seems to be the hd 3d mario game weve been waiting for since the launch of the wii u, large expansive levels, multiple objectives, it all looks great. Funny thing is, wii u's own 3d mario title had neither of those things, in fact it traded them for obstacle course type levels with a focus on reaching the end goal, thats not to say there werent a quite few green stars to collect for the inquisitive, but largely this game, and its 3ds sibling were very different beasts from the 3d mario we typically expect. However i say different, i certainly dont mean bad, or even lesser.

We all had the same reaction when we saw the first e3 trailer, we groaned at what looked like 3d land .5, we cried foul, but when the games second trailer hit something had changed, we started getting excited despite the games structure. Now at the time i didnt own a wii u, i was busy getting all hyped up for the ps4 train. Ironically enough, only a few months later, that june of 2014 i ended up trading that ps4 for a wii u. It was mostly that i didnt feel there was enough worth while content on it at the time, and i got to feeling nostalgic towards my gamecube, which reminded me that it had been nearly ten years since i last owned a Nintendo console. I got the wind waker hd bundle and with that my first wii u game along side it was super mario 3d world. I fell head over heels for this game, i did mostly everything with the exception being champions road (god bless those skilled enough to beat it).

It brought back a feeling that i hadnt had for a long time while playing a game, and its a feeling that nintendo specifically is so good at drawing out of folks. That feeling is pure joy, wheather it was the music, the pitch perfect controlls, the great colorful visuals or the itallian plummer himself, i knew that whenever i turned that game on i was in for a good time, hell an even better time when i had friends over. The multiplayer was chaotic and made collecting a bitch, but man screwing over your friends by throwing them off a cliff and the never ending chase for the crown are some of the best times ive ever had playing something cooperatively. I am so excited for odyssey but man am i always going to look back fondly on this weird, unexpected 3d mario game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I found it overrated. It never hooked me. Levels felt...dull? I can't really place it. Like they were all designed for 4 people and that damaged the single-player experience.
I replayed it through again recently and felt the same.

That all said, it WAS the catalyst for the amazing Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker game, which I want a sequel for ASAP.

lt519

Brilliant game. I'm ready for a more open world Mario again, but I would have zero issues if they wanted to go this route again after Odyssey.

phanphare

Banned
such an amazing game

this was the 3D Mario game for people who cut their teeth on the 2D ones growing up. in many respects it's the 3D Mario game that is the most faithful to the series.

I love that we're getting Odyssey too and for those who have been pining for that kind of Mario game I hope Odyssey's existence makes some people more open to the greatness that is 3D World. the game is nothing short of a masterclass in level design.

I found it overrated. It never hooked me. Levels felt...dull? I can't really place it. Like they were all designed for 4 people and that damaged the single-player experience.

That all said, it WAS the catalyst for the amazing Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker game, which I want a sequel for ASAP.

Man how could i forget about captain toad! Those levels were fantastic and i adored treasure tracker. Hopefully we get captain toad levels in odyssey if not a sequel

Nekster

Did you play end game worlds? The best level design of the game is there.

I loved the game and still think is one of the best of the "current?" generation.

About Odyssey, Miyamoto said the idea was to bring back the feelings of Mario 64 and Sunshine. So i'm pretty hyped.

VDenter

Banned
This game as much as it pains me to say it was really disappointing. 3D Land made perfect sense for a handheld and was a fun little Mario adventure the expectations there where completely different. The expectations for a first true HD 3D Mario game and the next step after Galaxy meant that the game should of been incredible. Sadly from a Gameplay perspective all i got was more of 3D Land with a multiplayer twist that just made the levels worse when played in single player. All the variety the game had was not doing anything for me either since i already saw all of it in the previous Mario games in one form or another. Definitely my least favorite 3D Mario.

devonodev

Got 100% in 4 player co-op, amazing game. It can get chaotic, but that's half the fun. And those last levels wow they were tough.

Having to go through getting the top of every flag pole for 100% was annoying though, since we found that out after beating the game already.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Did you play end game worlds? The best level design of the game is there.

I loved the game and still think is one of the best of the ¿current? generation.

About Odyssey, Miyamoto said the idea was to bring back the feelings of Mario 64 and Sunshine. So i'm pretty hyped.

I did play them all. I found NSMBU+L to be an exponentially more enjoyable experience.

Odyssey by all accounts seems to be the hd 3d mario game weve been waiting for since the launch of the wii u, large expansive levels, multiple objectives, it all looks great.

We all had the same reaction when we saw the first e3 trailer, we groaned at what looked like 3d land .5, we cried foul,

I honestly didn't.

I love this game a ton but the two things I absolutely adore about this game:

1. Cat Mario is probably my favorite Mario Power Up with how much it allows you to do.

2. I loved being able to play as Peach and Rosalina in a 3D Mario game.

If you asked me what type of Mario game I would like after 3D World I would agree that it was a Sandbox game since we haven't had one since Sunshine. But afterward Odyssey I really want a new 3D game. I want to see more 2D power ups in 3D. I also want Yoshida since this is the only second sub-series 3D Mario game (Sunshine and Galaxy 2 had him) not to have him. Also let me play as palette swaps of Daisy and Toadette based on Peach and Toad respectively.

Griss

It's a charming game, but not a very memorable one for some strange reason. There's a lot of weak level design in here alongside the typical amazing ideas, which is surprising for a Mario game. Mario also doesn't control with the freedom you'd like, imo. The run button and having to run for a certain time to hit that 'boost' top speed - it doesn't feel good, and that's rare to say in a Mario game.

The lack of themed worlds hurts the sense of progression in the game, and makes it hard to remember each level and where it falls inside the game structure. Way too many levels have too much land and not enough open-air platforming where falling will kill you. 3D Land, on the other hand, is a much more traditional mario platformer in that respect, and is a lot more fun moment to moment as a result.

Also, that 'Bowser Pimp Car' boss fight is utterly dreadful. Fortunately the other bosses are excellent.

Whatever weaknesses it has are pretty thoroughly covered up by its utterly stunning visual design and music, which combine for one of the best-presented games you'll ever play. It's an excellent game, just not one that inspired me in any way. Part of the problem was having to replay all the levels as each character - that burned me out and really showed up all the flaws in the level design that I might have missed if I'd only played through it once or twice.

EDIT: Every other Mario game I can recall 20 levels without issue, and good feelings come flooding back. This one? I remember the levels I didn't like as much as those I did.

Felt like it lacked something. I have a hard time recalling any levels.

Probably because so many assets were reused in so many levels. On one hand it allowed for a pretty crazy amount of content, but on the other hand it meant that few of the levels really felt unique.

Altogether I thought the game was fun. I 100%'d it. I don't think it felt as ambitious or inventive as the Galaxy games, however. Also double cherry was underutilized. It's one of the best Mario power-ups.

zenspider

My favorite Mario save *maybe* World.

I prefer the short, concise levels to the exploration of 64, Sunshine and (some of) Galaxy - it really feels like the old school games transposed into 3D.

The music going from something grand and a wee bit pretentious to a more ragtime-y, jaunty, and upbeat soundtrack was a big win for me. I throw on Chainlink Charge and Double Cherry Pass often as a musical pick-me-up.

Odyssey looks ridiculously fun and not kicking you out of levels after grabbing stars is going to make a big difference to me, but I will miss the timers and flagpoles and really hope we get a port or a sequel on Switch in the years to come.

It's a really great game. It may not be the ambitious title that the Galaxy games were, or that Odyssey perhaps will be, but it's such a highly refined game that it doesn't need to be. It's one of the few games of the generation that 100%.

Who's this we? I didn't groan. Why would I? I didn't even play 3D Land. I ain't got money like that. Shit I don't even think I made the comparison considering I never played 3D Land and just saw it passively in vids.

3D World is the bomb though.

Aside from maybe 64, this is definitely the most interesting 3D Mario game. The classic-style levels and powerups are a better fit for the Mario franchise than what the Galaxy games (and especially Sunshine) attempted.

Definitely wish the difficulty ramped up more than it did before the literal last two levels of the game, but it's Mario, so I guess it's kind of pointless to hope for that.

maxcriden

I completely agree. I absolutely adore the game. I hope to beat Champion's Road one day.

I like 3DL a ton also, they're very different from one another but both feature spectacular 3D platforming with expertly designed levels and endlessly creative level theming and features.

Blast Block Skyway is probably my favorite level in the game.

800px-Blast_Block_Skyway.jpg

Just delightfully tricky and requiring some precise platforming.

What are some of y'all's favorite levels in the game?

Felt like it lacked something. I have a hard time recalling any levels.

i came here to post this. on top of that, it was hard for me to judge horizontal jumps.

but yeah, watched my daughter beat this a handful of times and i can't recall anything but the first and last level at the moment.

i really didnt like it.

FanDeNintendo

Neo Member
Really great game. Also, it fits perfectly in the definition of "fun".

If you haven't play 3DWorld you may see this title as an "upgrade" 3DLand, but far from it. It's a charming, standalone game. And one of the best 3D Marios you can play out there. In addition, the last levels are a real challenge for most players.

I enjoyed every jump I took and every nyaa~ I shouted.

zenspider

I completely agree. I absolutely adore the game. I hope to beat Champion's Road one day.

I like 3DL a ton also, they're very different from one another but both feature spectacular 3D platforming with expertly designed levels and endlessly creative level theming and features.

Blast Block Skyway is probably my favorite level in the game.

800px-Blast_Block_Skyway.jpg

Just delightfully tricky and requiring some precise platforming.

What are some of y'all's favorite levels in the game?

The first Plessie level. I could play a whole game of that.

xerzewatt

My wife rarely plays video games but she loved both this and NSMBWU thanks to co-op. If there was a co-op mario announced for Switch, I would have bought one already.

Poplin

I loved this game, my only complaint was that all the end game was just remixed levels, rather than brand new ones like in past mario games. However, the final two stages were really fun. Champion's road, in particular, was excellent design and good balance of challenge.

It's a pretty great game and Champions Road is easily the best final levels in the series and one of my favorite levels ever, I didn't like it as much as 64 or the Galaxy games but it's still really great, I hope they remaster it for Switch as for one it looks beautiful in 1080p and two the single joycon controls would work perfectly with it, and considering it's not splitscreen it would make a lot of sense for portable multiplayer even.

dickroach

We all had the same reaction when we saw the first e3 trailer, we groaned at what looked like 3d land .5, we cried foul

totally, but it turned out to be such an incredible game. top notch level design. new level quirks get introduced constantly, right till the very end. some really, really, really creative stages. good music.

I've 100%'d on two different save files all by myself.
did not like co-op. my friends are bad at video games.

I really wish I could play it. It's one of the few Wii U games I wanted, but was never worth the $200+ price I'd have to pay to get the system and one game.

Joey Ravn

Banned
One of my favorite games on the system, and probably one of my favorite Mario games ever as well.

Champion's Road is the best.

hatchx

Banned
3D World was great but I would hope the next multiplayer Mario outing has online play so I can actually play with friends/four players.

I played the majority of 3D World by myself or with someone who was terrible at games.

Top Bottom