• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Super Mario 64. It's still fantastic!

After playing the game nonstop for 20 years, I'm frankly tired of Super Mario 64, but I cant deny how well the gameplay still holds up today. The lack of powerups can be a letdown, but Mario's moveset, control, and environments that take advantage of his abilities really do make up for it. It's the main reason why I'm still playing this game after so long. You can jump into 64 at any time and still have fun just moving Mario around. Later games have certainly done better with presentation, graphics, and more complex stages, but there's a simplicity in Mario 64 that makes it easier to get into.

Mario 64 has some unparalleled movement. The game just feels so good once you learn how to keep Mario's movement up.

That said, I showed it to my GF over Christmas Break and she quickly grew frustrated with all the falling deaths. I guess when you're a kid, all those deaths bleed together and suddenly you've mastered risky jumping. When you're an adult with less free time, all those deaths just make you put the controller down.

Shame. (But she loved Zelda OoT so far)

Dantrist

I love Mario's movements in this game more than any other.
It always feels like he actually is faster in 64 than in (for example) Galaxy. Does anybody here know if there is truth to that? Also the jumps feel much more satisfying. Does he simply jump further? Triple jump, long jump and side flip just feel perfect in 64, meanwhile in 3D land the side flip doesn't seem to have much height at all.

I have no idea why, but every single aspect about his running and jumping feels slower in newer games (and I'm not even talking about 3D World's run button).
Again, if anybody knows why that is, I'd love to hear.

Hopefully Odyssey will be a return to his prime in this aspect.

MysteryM

I've been waiting for a remaster for this game for ever so I could replay it again. A game like no other, still one of my best games of all time. Sunshine was a massive disappointment m following this.

Neff

I have no idea why, but every single aspect about his running and jumping feels slower in newer games (and I'm not even talking about 3D World's run button).
Again, if anybody knows why that is, I'd love to hear.

That's because he is slower in newer games. Every single 3D Mario since 64 toned down his speed, flexibility and inertia to appease a more casual style of Mario gameplay. 3D World is probably the fastest he's been since the '90s, but it's still not up to what he can do in 64.

Odyssey looks faster still.

Vdenter:

Camera issues for Mario 64, are not a consequence of the absence of a 2nd Analogue Stick on the N64 controller. For example, a game like Ocarina of Time had a very good camera system for the time and it was basically controlled with 1 button.

With 4 digital buttons and the right options: sensitivity and acceleration mainly it is possible to implement a very good "exploratory" camera, since Mario 64 wasn't using camera movement for something like aiming.

Speaking about Mario 64 i mostly agree with your sentiments. It is incredible that even in 2017 you can play this game in it's integral form, that is, on the N64 itself and have a great time. It's even better than most 3D platformers that followed or are released these days.

-KRS-

I always used to hear "Pickle!" whenever you choose a star from the world menu.

I don't care what anyone says. He stills says "pickle".

Lol how? He clairly says three syllables, while pickle has only two. Unless you mean like "Let's Pickle!" haha.

Dantrist

That's because he is slower in newer games. Every single 3D Mario since 64 toned down his speed, flexibility and inertia to appease a more casual style of Mario gameplay. 3D World is probably the fastest he's been since the '90s, but it's still not up to what he can do in 64.

That's a real shame. I loved how fast you could go from point A to B in 64. It made the platforming much more worthwhile to me.
In many aspects I prefer the newer games (loved Galaxy and 3D World), but the speed is what still makes me pick up 64 every now and then. If Odyssey does indeed make him faster it could become the GOAT.

daTRUballin

Lol how? He clairly says three syllables, while pickle has only two. Unless you mean like "Let's Pickle!" haha.

I used to never hear the "Let's" part of the sentence since Mario says it more silently than the "A-Go" part. It was also drowned out a bit by the sound the game makes when you choose a star. So I only heard the "A-Go" part and it sounded like "pickle" to me. :p

This is a very serious post to analyze. I'd like to focus on the 3D Mario path that goes Super Mario 64 -> Super Mario Sunshine -> Super Mario Odyssey. Our variables are (A) speed, (B) flexibility, and (C) inertia.

(A): Mario has greater speed from a standstill in Sunshine than he does in 64. This is evident by the fact that Mario can dive forward without any prior momentum. When it comes to flat surface speed the fastest move Mario has ever had in 3D is FLUDD's waterslide move. This can even be done from a near standstill position if the player activates the hover nozzle and then immediately dives. Now when it comes to max speed levels Mario can attain Super Mario 64 is the clear winner with diving wingcap maneuvers. I'm also fairly certain that using sharply inclined planes puts Mario at his second fastest speed in 3D history. All of this is ignoring the advanced technique of backwards long jumping of course.

(B): Flexibility overall is generally the same, but each Mario can be seen as very distinct from the other. Mario in 64 has special access to crouch movement: crouching, crouch walking, breakdancing (well, low kicking), slide kicking; combat: punch, punch x2, punch x2 + kick, and jump kick; and handstands (i.e. at the top of trees).

Mario in Sunshine has spin jumping, grate grabbing, wall sliding, two types of flips out of dive, hovering ("flexible" aerial mobility), full body turning through Y-Cam, and some other stuff I can't remember right now. This is ignoring advanced techniques such as changing linear aerial movement to analog aerial control while retaining fast forward movement by activating Y-cam and Turbo Nozzle while airborne (this cannot be done if you started from a grounded turbo boost).

Each game retains the other elements. [Sidenote: The most noticeable change in Galaxy was the dramatic reduction done to Mario's walk/run animations.]

(C): No contest here. Sunshine nerfed inertia hard.

MTC100

Banned
The movement in this game still makes other 3d games look like caveman shit.

It's interesting, with all the limitations the N64 had back in the day, how Miyamoto and their team managed to create such a masterpiece. I guess it holds up so well to modern standards because almost the whole industry took notes back then and looked at the game as a blueprint on how 3D Games should work.

Top Bottom