• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Knick

the-knick-season-2-clive-owen-dr-john-thackery.jpg

Such a powerful series from the get go. The cinematography so unlike anything else on TV at the time, the OST and sound design (I was taken aback by the background music at the start but caught on to it quickly), the set design, everything was incredibly well-crafted with the exception of maybe some of the dialogue. "Get the Rope" was one of the most gripping episodes of TV I've seen since the end of Breaking Bad and definitely the highlight of the series for me. The character development was great too, as while the first season was almost entirely the Clive Owen show, season 2 did a great job of really fleshing out its supporting cast, with the relationship between corpse chaser Cleary and conflicted nun Sister Harriet being a particular highlight. Every one of the tense surgical scenes with the eerily ancient ambience was a cinematic tour de force, and it was all carried by great performances from its leads in Andre Holland of course Clive Owen as the tortured Halsted-esque genius John Thackery. About the only thing this show got horribly wrong was its incredibly tacky marketing which belied its real artistic depth. "Modern medicine had to start somewhere" is a really barfworthy tagline.

PaZcUU8.gif

Breaks my heart that this show got dropped officially earlier this year. (Cmon Netflix, this one's ripe for a Black Mirror-esque pickup). It was a show that especially resonated with me as I was working as a surgical assistant throughout the series two year run, seeing the stark comparisons of the OR then and now, how much had changes, how much honestly hadn't. I miss this show terribly.

GAF OT for Season 1, and for Season 2

Definitely one of the best shows to come out this decade. The direction from Soderbergh and the music rocked

And the acting was fantastic too, particularly from Clive Owen

Really interesting seeing the infancy of surgical procedures and tools too

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
One of my favorite shows this decade. I can't trust Cinemax anymore, they've broken my heart with Quarry and The Knick. If they had aired this on HBO, I think it would've caught on the way they wanted it to.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, this show was fucking wonderful. I'm very sad we didn't get to see them proceed with S3, which was apparently supposed to be set in 1947.

I'm really bummed out that the series ended on an extraordinarily depressing season--I'm still angry about what happened with Algernon and his career--but it was still an amazing season regardless. Clive Owen, Andre Holland, and Michael Angarano were wonderful in this show. Owen particularly deserves praise for that last scene of his in the final episode. Which was fucking haunting to the core.

Really great show. I'm glad we got the two seasons at least.

One of my favorite shows this decade. I can't trust Cinemax anymore, they've broken my heart with Quarry and The Knick. If they had aired this on HBO, I think it would've caught on the way they wanted it to.

This show consistently got rave reviews and only got better with the second season, how this flew under so many people's radars just makes me so confused. My only hope is that Soderbergh gets to come back to it someday without having to make too many compromises, since it sounds like seasons 3-4 were going to be in a whole new setting with a whole new cast anyway.

Started and watched this show over a couple of weeks, was awesome. I liked the ending and it's probably a good time to finish it up, given too many US shows go for too long imo.

gforguava

Brilliant show and a true shame that it never really caught on.

The opening of episode 6, where a drugged up Thackery enlists the help of Bertie and a pair of Chinese prostitutes to help with his placental bleeding bladder system, is one of the greatest openings an episode of television has ever received.

”These ladies work by the hour, and their rate is on the high side due to their cleanliness and good humor, so scrub in, Bertie The Wise, for I have many new secrets to reveal to you. Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things."

It's a really incredible show. It does a great job of conveying some the utter insanity of early surgical medicine. Probably the best role I've ever seen Clive Owen in. Music was really great as well.

Amazing show, but man what happened with Algernon Edwards fucked me up really bad.

I was so mad.

Also it feels fairly historically accurate, as someone who has read a lot of history books.

I still love the soundtrack. Soderbergh could've gone with period appropriate music and songs, but instead went with Cliff Martinez's unique synth-y, EDM-ish score.
Who knew a turn of the century medical drama and synth-y music would well together.

I wish there was a third season.

Top Bottom