• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rugby World Cup 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better team won but it should have been a lot closer if not for Owens.
The difference is the skill level of the NZ forwards. Their ability to just retain possession and just make yards is unmatched.

Clegg

Nonu was incredible once again. Amazing how good Sonny Bill is yet he can't get into the starting 15 because there's someone even better than him in his position.

Back 2 back.

Black 2 black :D

I'm so stoked with that. Incredible World Cup, probably the best yet, capped off by a great game and performance by the ABs. Dominant first half, poor start to the second half but came back led by the brilliant DC.

No retirement from Richie yet, so hopefully he'll stick around for at least another year to get to the 150 caps mark and maybe even to the Lions Tour in 2017.

Sad to see the back of Dan Carter, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith and Kevin Mealamu. Best first five probably in the history of rugby. Best midfield in AB history. And one of the best hookers in AB history too. I'm happy they went out on the highest note possible though.

For all the BS about Mccaw, Dan Carter stands head and shoulders above anyone in world rugby for the last 12 years. Not just his skills with the boot but his composure and level-headedness.
You'd imagine he'd leave a big hole in the NZ side but I wouldn't be surprised if NZ produced someone better.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Thoroughly enjoyed that. Great game. Well done to both teams.

As for Owens - typical Welshman, kept calling for "ewes" at every opportunity. Also loved his line to some NZ forward "Don't swear lad, you're on telly".

What a game! I was sweating during the beginning of the second half, it felt like the ABs thought the game was already in the bag and the Wallabies finally arrived.

How awesome was that last try!!

For all the BS about Mccaw, Dan Carter stands head and shoulders above anyone in world rugby for the last 12 years. Not just his skills with the boot but his composure and level-headedness.
You'd imagine he'd leave a big hole in the NZ side but I wouldn't be surprised if NZ produced someone better.

Realistically, Cruden already passed him a couple of years ago, he was just incredibly unlucky with injury this year. He'll be back next year, with Barrett and Sopoaga behind him.

No BS about Richie though, greatest rugby player of all time. Most caps, most wins, two World Cups, most World Rugby Player of the Year wins and nominations and most tries from a forward from a tier one country (including the record no. of tries against Australia, more than Lomu, Cullen, Kirwan, Rokocoko, etc.).

Skux

All Blacks fans during the second half

N0bneNc.gif

Clegg

Watching some YouTube clips of games from 5-10 years ago.

I'll never forgive Rupeni Caucau for pissing away his talent. Best player I've ever seen with ball in hand.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So many good games in this tournament - just in the pool matches we had:
SA v Japan
NZ v Argentina
Italy v Canada
Tonga v Namibia
Wales v Fiji
Canada v Romania
Namibia v Georgia
Argentina v Namibia
Italy v Romania

There were only 5 poor games that I remember -
Ireland v Canada
Samoa v USA
Australia v Uruguay
SA v USA
and of course NZ v France where the wheels fell off

For all that I dislike driving mauls, the one by Tonga against New Zealand at the 40-minute mark was spectacular.

Arondight

Allblacks did good. Still waiting to watch the full match. Pretty great tournament overall

The best try to me this year has still got to be Savea when he pinballs three people. Best match to me is SA vs Japan followed by NZ vs France.

Dan Carter has been the best player to watch. Incredible Kicking and offloading.

So happy! :D

All Blacks! :D

Was a really good game, we looked to have the advantage then Aus hit back and momentum switched, but dat dropgoal changed it back our way. Yeeeees!

GOAT.

Great World Cup, lots of memorable matches.

Some of my favorite players are hanging up the boots which is tough to take, but they're doing it in the best way possible, and they really deserve it. Fairy tale finish. :D

My GAF name is actually taken from my most fav player Conrad Smith. Rugby and Nintendo stuff is me summed up pretty well. :p

DrSlek

I look forward to the Japan RWC in 4 years, where I will actually be able to watch the matches instead of sleep through them and catch up later.

Better team won but it should have been a lot closer if not for Owens.
The difference is the skill level of the NZ forwards. Their ability to just retain possession and just make yards is unmatched.

Nah Kepu should've been binned and NZ would've packed on more points early. Or they should've been consistent and not binned Smith. I fail to see how doing one without the other is fair.

The skill level in the forwards is immense but the fact that they have almost the best player in the world at each position in the backline - perhaps except for NHMS - has something to do with it. If it wasn't for Pocock/Hooper/Fardy the final wouldn't have been a contest.

Going to be sad to see so many greats retire. Prime Dan Carter is the most talented Rugby player to play the game.

Clegg

Dan Carter wins World Player of the Year. Now he had an excellent World Cup, but a pretty average season preceding that. I can understand the most weight being given to the WC, but even if that's the case I think Pocock had the better tournament. Carter shades it for the AB's winning I suppose.

Dan Carter wins World Player of the Year. Now he had an excellent World Cup, but a pretty average season preceding that. I can understand the most weight being given to the WC, but even if that's the case I think Pocock had the better tournament. Carter shades it for the AB's winning I suppose.

I think the best coach and player are Hansen and Pocock for this year, but with them choosing Cheika and Carter it seems they're picking narrative over just outright being the best.

I don't disagree about DC (and don't even understand how Savea got nominated, this has been the worst season of his career so far) but I don't agree about Pocock. Nonu would've been my pick but he wasn't even f'n nominated for some ridiculous reason. 12 years after his debut in 2003, he somehow pulled out the absolute best season of his career in 2015. From February to October, the man was incredible.

Also, Eddie Jones should've been coach of the year. Hansen planned out pretty much the perfect RWC campaign and Chieka's done a great job turning Australia around but Jones was a miracle worker.

The awards always tend to get a bit weird in RWC years though. Dusautoir won player of the year in 2011 entirely on the back of his performance in the final when Kaino had a much stronger season overall.

Clegg

I think the best coach and player are Hansen and Pocock for this year, but with them choosing Cheika and Carter it seems they're picking narrative over just outright being the best.

I think you're right. Also if you want to broaden the base and look at the most consistently good player of the year then Nonu should have won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom