• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: AMD DirectX 11 Card Performances, Prices Revealed, Surprisingly Affordable

careful

irfan said:
So would it be possible to use a single monitor, but still render at that resolution and have the software scale it back to the monitor native resolution? Would be kinda like supersampling AA correct me if I'm wrong.

Waikis said:
With proper mods, yeah definitely.

pics snipped

Stunning. (though probably unplayable as you've mentioned ;)

Dennis

Banned
I posted more of those GTA IV shots in high-res screenshot thread - here are two

This quality is not really playable - the screenshots are downsampled from a very high resolution.

VRAM really becomes a limiting factor at high resolutions with lots of AA for me - I am hoping there will be a 2x2 GB version of the 5870x2 card, but I can't find out...does anybody know?

TheExodu5

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Crysis isn't even the most demanding game tbh. Stalker Clear Skies and GTA 4 destroy the 295. Right now what they have shown of the 5870 is leaps and bounds better than the 295. Starting by the fact that a 295 cannot handle any resolution avobe 1900x1200 due to its small framebuffer. If I wanted it really badly, I would get two 5870's and crossfire them, but there is no game that I enjoy that I cannot play maxed and at 60fps, so I will wait for that first, which will give me time to evaluate Nvidia's offer.

Clear Skies is only an issue if you turn on SSAO. Without it you gain like 5x the performance.

As for the 5850/5870...I'm in no rush. The GTX 275 is doing all I need. There are no really interesting games out there for me that I can't already run at 60fps with 4xAA/16xAF. Going to wait a year or so (probably when I graduate), and build myself a new PC then. Hopefully the second nVidia refresh is out (since I'm loving nHancer, I'd rather stick with nVidia).

Sleeker

DennisK4 said:
I posted more of those GTA IV shots in high-res screenshot thread - here are two

This quality is not really playable - the screenshots are downsampled from a very high resolution.

VRAM really becomes a limiting factor at high resolutions with lots of AA for me - I am hoping there will be a 2x2 GB version of the 5870x2 card, but I can't find out...does anybody know?

has that had AA added in photo mode or something?
Mine looks just a good but has jaggies everywhere

Dennis

Banned
Sleeker said:
has that had AA added in photo mode or something?
Mine looks just a good but has jaggies everywhere
Downsampling the image from a very high resolution produces what looks like extremely high levels of AA. The game is still a jaggy mess - maybe the fullscreen AA mod will be released soon and we will see if it is playable.

TheExodu5 said:
Clear Skies is only an issue if you turn on SSAO. Without it you gain like 5x the performance.

As for the 5850/5870...I'm in no rush. The GTX 275 is doing all I need. There are no really interesting games out there for me that I can't already run at 60fps with 4xAA/16xAF. Going to wait a year or so (probably when I graduate), and build myself a new PC then. Hopefully the second nVidia refresh is out (since I'm loving nHancer, I'd rather stick with nVidia).
Thats pretty much what im doing...what i got now 4870X2 runs everything out there on the PC worth playing fine... if we start to see a big jump of AAA exclusive pc games sporting bleeding edge visuals... yeah, i will get one of these new Dx11 cards but until then..you might as well wait for prices to adjust and drop and see what Nvidia has up their sleeves.

Dont get me wrong, if had money to toss out my friggen window..i'd be first in line for a new ATI dx11 card but there's no point in doing it other then flossing that you got a dx11 card on message boards lol

artist

Banned
Kevin said:
Any word on when Nvidia will announce anything? Surely they would want to counter attack ATi's awesomeness with at least a few specifications for their new cards.
They dropped prices on the 295 from $529 to $469. :lol

New realistic Ruby

3907249780_12a5d8592a.jpg

3907250684_2dfb1c1d11.jpg

3906472189_21efc2359c.jpg

3907249086_78e61f8b91.jpg

TheExodu5 said:

Is that the thing that enables the sun shafts ? I always thought it was them that destroyed performance (60+ fps when there not there, a really ruff 20 when they were, look great though).

pestul

That benchmark is stupid and indicates nothing..

I think a 5850 will be for me. I game on a 1680x1050 display and don't really have plans to use multi-monitor technology.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i'll look to buy when green and red start taking dx11 sized chunks out of each other. sure worked out great for the consumer last time around.

Gwanatu T

Holy crap @ that AVP screenshot. Oh man ATI struck gold again. Can't wait to get one of these puppies next year (I'm holding off for sub-$200).

artist

Banned
Gwanatu T said:
Holy crap @ that AVP screenshot. Oh man ATI struck gold again. Can't wait to get one of these puppies next year (I'm holding off for sub-$200).
5850 sounds mighty nice at $299, I'm pretty sure there will be rebates by Black Friday. :D

pestul

I wonder if a healthy overclock on the 5850 will yield near 5870 numbers. I know the differences in architecture, but it should be interesting. Maybe the 5850's will end up being like the X800 Pro Vivo and just be a neutered version of the higher class card that is bios moddable.

Woffls said:
It was unplayable on minimum settings on my newly formatted 8800GT, E6600, 4gb @800mhz machine. Probably running Vista or 7 RC x64, can't remember.

If that's the case then you'd never be able to play any console game, which is fine and all but it must be noted that you have quite high standards when you say stuff like this. A rig like that will run GTA 4 significantly better than a 360 and lets not even mention the 640p, ~20fps PS3 version. Many people forget just how horrid the performance of GTA4 was on the consoles.

OCing that E6600 would have made a whole world of difference fwiw.

Honestly the fact that you could get rid of the hideous dithering shadows and the utterly stupid blur filter in the PC version, is reason enough to choose that version, even on something that would give console performance.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
what about games with physx support like Batman? will there be an patch for people who buy these new ATI cards? I want my cloth physics in batman and mirror's edge, damnit!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mr.Potato Head said:
Thats pretty much what im doing...what i got now 4870X2 runs everything out there on the PC worth playing fine... if we start to see a big jump of AAA exclusive pc games sporting bleeding edge visuals... yeah, i will get one of these new Dx11 cards but until then..you might as well wait for prices to adjust and drop and see what Nvidia has up their sleeves.

Dont get me wrong, if had money to toss out my friggen window..i'd be first in line for a new ATI dx11 card but there's no point in doing it other then flossing that you got a dx11 card on message boards lol
Someone made the point that the best video cards ever made were released around the introduction of a new version of DX. The 5850/5870 could be the next 9700/9800.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I wonder if it'll help me play oblivion better?
I have WAY too many mods running...... AMD X2 4600+ and HD3850 512mb

Looks like it'll be the 5850 for me, bit more then i'd like to pay but I need a card before the start of October when i move to university.

$299 is a bit steep but, well... what else is there? Spending £120 on a card half as powerful right now wouldn't make much sense at the moment.

open_mouth_ said:
what about games with physx support like Batman? will there be an patch for people who buy these new ATI cards? I want my cloth physics in batman and mirror's edge, damnit!

PhysX is written in CUDA which is Nvidias proprietary language so it will never be portable to other video card brands. Devs would have to patch in an entirely new physics engine which probably wont happen. Thems the breaks when you use a vendor exclusive solution. Nvidia is to be commended for pushing the envelope with GPU physics but CUDA and PhysX was always a dead end. Kind of like 3DFX and their GLIDE API, OpenGL and DirectX killed it just like OpenCL and DirectCompute will do with CUDA.

EDIT: If Nvidia is smart they will make CUDA an open standard and allow it to be implemented on any platform. That way they will have control on how it evolves which may give them a leg up on AMD.

artist

Banned
JSnake said:
Only 1GB?
If you want 2GB, shell out $50 more. :D

pestul said:
I wonder if a healthy overclock on the 5850 will yield near 5870 numbers. I know the differences in architecture, but it should be interesting. Maybe the 5850's will end up being like the X800 Pro Vivo and just be a neutered version of the higher class card that is bios moddable.
I'm pretty sure both Nvidia/ATI have resorted fully to laser modding their chips to prevent such unlocks.

open_mouth_ said:
There should be a patch. There is already a mod that enables all the Batman physics on current ATI cards.

SapientWolf said:
Someone made the point that the best video cards ever made were released around the introduction of a new version of DX. The 5850/5870 could be the next 9700/9800.
That was me. :D

DirectX8 -> Geforce 4000 series
DirectX9 -> Radeon 9700 series
DirectX10 -> Geforce 8800 series

Atilac said:
I'm looking forward to the 5890. I imagine those will hit sometime in april?
Depends if ATI will need it.

brain_stew said:
Looks noticably smaller than my GTX 260 tbh.
There was a comment that the 5870 is as long as the 8800GTX, which I think is longer than the 260.

i think it will be physics middle ware written in open cl, and then ported to cuda in the future. Havok is intel and they are the top dogs in physics engine not nvidia.

bee said:
?? look at the overhang on that atx mobo, that thing is BIG

The GTX cards overhang by more than that, mine sure does.

irfan said:
If you want 2GB, shell out $50 more. :D

If the 2GB 5870 is really $450 then that's pretty damn disapointing. Hopefully its $350/$400 for the 1GB/2GB models.

vertopci

Wish nVidia would release specs and shit about their new cards. ATI is gonna own them saleswise if they don't start talking. And that makes the nVidia fanboy in me sad.

Also are there any DX10/9 vs DX 11 comparisions yet?

Cheeto

Technosteve said:
so i own the 4890 for 4 weeks, guess i'll get this 5870 and get 2x performance gain.

anyone want to buy a brand new 4890? ghst =D
You serious? I might be interested in buying your 4890

irfan said:
There was a comment that the 5870 is as long as the 8800GTX, which I think is longer than the 260.

No its (slightly) shorter than a 8800gtx, which itself is shorter than a GTX 260/280. I don't think its such a huge card tbh.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Any updates or demo vids that demonstrates the hardware tessellators?

vertopci said:
Wish nVidia would release specs and shit about their new cards. ATI is gonna own them saleswise if they don't start talking. And that makes the nVidia fanboy in me sad.

Video card companies used to do that but they got killed in the media and on forums for doing paper launches. If they did that now it would be a PR disaster. Personally I thought it was nice to know whats coming a few months early, as long as they allowed some 3rd party testing, I don't believe for a second any performance claims made by the manufacturers.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Okay. Found some shots that demonstrate the hardware tessellator at work.

Tessellation off

4.jpg

Tessellation high

5.jpg

Wow

Top Bottom