• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Atlus to Localize Yakuza 5 in the West

For the guys who are worried about playing as Haruka:

- I'd say you play as her the least (given that half her chapter is played as Akiyama).
- You have to do a lot of the "mini games" for her once, but can skip a lot of content and progress through the story, hence the first point.
- Her story isn't all lollipops and sunshine and rainbows.
- It's actually pretty cool and a refreshing change of pace, but I realize that doesn't work for everyone.
- Other than the dance battles replacing fights her gameplay is basically the same as anyone else.

Her stuff really is central to the story and I think once you guys see how it integrates in there you'll be OK with it (unless you hate rhythm games) :)

Thanks for the impressions. The Haruka thing never really bothered me but this makes it sound good.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Did I miss the train on this one? Oh, yep. Looks like I did. Oh well. Rumors gonna rumor, I guess.

HjjRHLb.jpg

"Now I am become truth, burster of bubbles."

androvsky

Did I miss the train on this one? Oh, yep. Looks like I did. Oh well. Rumors gonna rumor, I guess.

HjjRHLb.jpg

Yeah, gotta get Ishin out before the flood of western PS4 games. It's cool, Yakuza 5 will be awesome next year too.

HjjRHLb.jpg

Remember, guys. Atlus USA was the same company that said Catherine wasn't coming and that they had "no plans" for it.

Now, I'm not saying Yakuza 5 is coming, but I'm pretty sure DS2BR (even shown on their USA holiday page) PQ, P4A2, P4D, and P5 are coming here.

androvsky

Remember, guys. Atlus USA was the same company that said Catherine wasn't coming and that they had "no plans" for it.

Now, I'm not saying Yakuza 5 is coming, but I'm pretty sure DS2BR (even shown on their USA holiday page) PQ, P4A2, P4D, and P5 are coming here.
Yes, that was what, a week before they announced the localization?

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, but that was an Atlus game. Of course it was going to be localized.

Yakuza 5's a different kind of thing.

Yeah, but that was an Atlus game. Of course it was going to be localized.

Yakuza 5's a different kind of thing.

true, though Atlus is under SEGA now (they've even acknowledged their success with niche titles when they made the purchase), not saying it will/won't happen...just maybe better to be cautious optimistic, they won't just out and confirm rumors of any (if it's even happening/pending) unannounced projects.

FluxWaveZ

It has nothing to do with that. Atlus USA has passed over their own stuff before in the past.

I'm just saying not to assume anything besides major titles (like Persona 5) as a lock.

Wait, like what? I don't have any reason to believe Atlus USA would pass on anything developed by Atlus over in Japan and you're not giving me any. If you're thinking of Eternal Punishment Portable, that was a big exception.

Every single time an Atlus game's been announced and a localization wasn't announced immediately, people panicked that one wouldn't happen, only for the localization announcement to inevitably occur later on. This has happened every single time. I'm not buying that anything other than Persona 5 wouldn't be a lock.

koutoru

Wait, like what? I don't have any reason to believe Atlus USA would pass on anything developed by Atlus over in Japan and you're not giving me any. If you're thinking of Eternal Punishment Portable, that was a big exception.

Every single time an Atlus game's been announced and a localization wasn't announced immediately, people panicked that one wouldn't happen, only for the localization announcement to inevitably occur later on. This has happened every single time. I'm not buying that anything other than Persona 5 wouldn't be a lock.

What about Tokyo Mono Hara Shi?

Surely this is just getting our hopes up to get hurt again right? I thought one of the key nails in the coffin was that the Japanese development team liked to themselves be involved heavily in the localization process, and didn't like handing it off... and they now have Isshin to occupy all their time?

Roller coaster of emotions here. I know Sony hears a lot about people wanting this to come over, so someone higher up could swoop in get this going. Fat chance it will happen, but you never know. Just give me more mainline Yakuza! None of this one-off stuff with zombies and samurais.

I just asked a couple Atlus USA folks and they haven't heard anything about this. FWIW. Seems pretty unlikely to me - they're not a big company and they just announced like 4 new Persona games.

I'm sure they would just casually tell you that this was coming before a formal announcement.

Squire

Banned
Being an in-studio Atlus game isn't a guarantee of anything anymore.

Because of EP PSP? That's what you're referring to, right? Tell me I'm wrong.

Flux is right. Y5 (and EP) were different situations. If Atlus makes it in-house, they're 99.9% gonna bring it over.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
please oh PLEASE be true! I bought the previous games day one full price, even that TRASH Dead Souls so I need my support to pay off in 5 coming here! :*

Voliko

Devil Summoner PSP, Growlanser 1 PSP, Eternal Punishment PSP, Tokyo Mono Hara Shi PSP, Princess Crown PSP, Nora to Toki no Kobo DS, various Sting games if you want to count those (Since AtlusJP was the publisher).

A localization is definitely not a given for the more low key games. Who knows how many of those will get made at all in the first place under Sega though.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I'm interpreting the chiming-in to say that this Atlus PR person wasn't contacted by jschreier and that he has information that conflicts with what jschreier said. Or else why even say anything?

The opposite. I emailed Jason on Sunday when he asked me about it. Just saying hi.

FluxWaveZ

Devil Summoner PSP, Growlanser 1 PSP, Eternal Punishment PSP, Tokyo Mono Hara Shi PSP, Princess Crown PSP, Nora to Toki no Kobo DS, various Sting games if you want to count those (Since AtlusJP was the publisher).

A localization is definitely not a given for the more low key games. Who knows how many of those will get made at all in the first place under Sega though.

Yeah, that's why I'm referring to high profile games. All of those you mentioned are obscure PSP and DS games with some that are not even developed by Atlus (publishing is irrelevant).

Would you label any of P-Studio's recently announced games as low key?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I might be wrong, but I always thought Yakuza was a pretty popular "niche" series... I mean, it must be more popular than games Aquapazza... right...?

(Yeah, I know it's a lot easier to localize something like Aquapazza compared to Yakuza... :( )

jschreier

I'm interpreting the chiming-in to say that this specific Atlus PR person wasn't contacted by jschreier and that he has information that conflicts with what jschreier said. Or else why even say anything?
This is taking wishful thinking to a whole new level.

Voliko

Yeah, that's why I'm referring to high profile games. All of those you mentioned are obscure PSP and DS games with some that are not even developed by Atlus (publishing is irrelevant).

Would you label any of P-Studio's recently announced games as low key?
Certainly not, I'm confident that all of those games are coming over. Not so sure about the person you originally quoted though. I agree with you, just because they passed over previous games does not mean they are going to pass over Persona-branded stuff. Context matters. Just wanted to point out what AtlusUSA didn't bring over. I'm still angry about Growlanser 1.

Top Bottom