• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: iPhone 8 to have "revolutionary" 3D sensing front facing camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
9to5 Mac

Apple’s upcoming iPhone 8 is going to feature a major upgrade to the front camera, according to Apple analyst KGI Ming-Chi Kuo. A report published today says that the OLED iPhone will include a ‘revolutionary’ front camera and Infrared module that can sense the 3D space in front of it.

The analyst says the new components will be able to merge the depth information with the 2D images from the front camera for applications including face recognition, iris recognition, and 3D selfies …

The analyst says the advanced 3D front camera system could be used in new innovative games that can accurately replace a character’s head with that of the user. The combination of front camera and 3D sensor would allow the iPhone to generate a 3D selfie which could be used in augmented reality.

The hardware will use algorithms developed by PrimeSense, which Apple acquired in 2013. The sensor will apparently be able to detect the location and depth of objects it can see. Apple’s iPhone 7 Plus already includes an immature form of depth detection by including two rear cameras that use their optical parallax offset to determine distance away.

KGI says the 3D sensing front camera for iPhone 8 would be much more advanced using a dedicated Infrared transmitter and receiver. The Infrared transmitter will apparently use vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser technology from Lumentum (as previously rumored), the front camera will be produced by Sony and the IR receiver will be manufactured by Foxconn/Sharp. The 3D system works by sending invisible IR light signals outwards from the phone and then detecting the signals that bounce back off of objects using the 1.4 megapixel IR receiver.

Looking beyond 2017, KGI says next-generation iPhones will likely add 3D sensing rear cameras as well, potentially removing the need for large dual camera iris systems.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This sounds like a feature with limited use cases. I'd rather have a full haptic screen for my next iPhone.

Jonnax

Doesn't "Windows Hello" supported webcams have a version of this?

It uses 3D mapping or something similar to have a more secure face login for Windows.
In fact if your webcam does not support it, then you can't use the feature.

giga

The analyst is probably confusing "3D" selfies with selfies with with depth information that can simulate a shallow depth of field like the 7 Plus portrait camera.

Red

Is this new? I remember rumors of a 3D front facing camera for facial recognition from months back. Sounded like it was competing with TouchID for a place in the hardware.

NYR

Seems like a gimmick.

Just give me a large screen on a small form with an OLED and you have me.

Maybe we can get something truly revolutionary, like a headphone jack?
Yeah, I just jumped in on wireless headphones this weekend and it is a game changer. Just being unchained from my phone is a relief let alone the other benefits of wireless headphones. Any thing with a W1 chip is amazing right now.

jeffram

If it can do finite finger recognition, it might be transformative. Otherwise, gestures like waving or swiping will just end up being the slower way to do things.

how will iPhone work without Touch ID? Isn't that big component of Apple Pay?

if this is slower or less reliable then a fingerprint scanner that will be lame.

There is a tech to place a fingerprint scanner under the screen... maybe Apple will use that?

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/1/11553830/lg-fingerprint-sensor-under-glass-screen

Almost certain they'll go with the scanner under the screen. They already removed the physical button so removing the space for the faux button is the next step

DOWN

Banned
Prediction: if the whole front of the iPhone becomes a screen, they drop the Touch ID and switch to Iris detection because there's no good way to include Touch ID in the display

Otherwise, they keep Touch ID but the whole front is not in fact a screen

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I don't want my phone to waste its battery idly scanning my gormless mug for any reason. I'll find myself being served ads for cosmetic surgery or some shit.

I think this would be a really useful addition to their computers. Imagine if your Mac could automatically detect who is sitting in-front of the screen, and automatically log into their user area.

So now we're at:

wireless charging
completely bezeless
OLED
fingerprint scanner integrated into the display
3d front camera
new design
dual camera

Sheeeeit.

The problem is there are zero rumors saying this is what Apple is doing. Could be a surprise but iPhone has been pretty leaky the past few iterations.
what? apple has been granted many patents including recently, specifically going into great detail how they'd achieve this. Also there's no way an integrated scanner could show on a leak.

DOWN

Banned
Mr.Shrugglesツ;230723450 said:
Just because it was announced by one company last month, does not mean it is cost-effective, easy to manufacture at mass scale, and coming to iPhone. There's no proof that Apple is trying to figure out putting the scanner into the glass screen this year already, and there's been legit hundreds of technologies that were announced over the years and never been picked up by Apple despite rumors.

Remember when a company invented screen feedback with electricity that made it feel like a real button? Some idiot news outlets didn't consider the cost, and here we are 7 years after that rumor

Futureman

what? apple has been granted many patents including recently, specifically going into great detail how they'd achieve this. Also there's no way an integrated scanner could show on a leak.

can you link to that patent? All I know is LG and Synaptics doing this.

Also there's been stuff "not visible" regarding iPhones that has leaked before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom