• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Left 4 Dead 3 in 2017, priority for Valve, characters info

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

If they really are doing a 3rd L4D, which previously leaks do suggest, how in God's name is not releasing for yet another year, at the earliest?

Also, Irvin, a gangster? Is this 1993? Outside of Rockstar, I don't think many devs would want to dabble in that stereotype in 2016.

I mean, they did a stereotypical southern hick for L4D2 with Ellis.

Left for Dead 2-2

9pH5Tpd.jpg

Tenebrous

Not only are they better, but they also have the narrative to support a sequel moreso than L4D. Especially Half-Life for reasons...

True, but the most important thing is that L4D is the franchise most suited to be run as a service like CS & Dota 2.

Oh well, good for those who want L4D3. I'll enjoy seeing Valve on a stage somewhere, at least.

Hylian7

Well, that rumor certainly is detailed. I guess whenever they officially reveal it, we'll know whether this is bullshit or not.

Remember we do technically know that both HL3 and L4D3 are being worked on, just no idea how much, and it's likely very little has been done with HL3, if anything. There was those pictures of the bug tracking software Valve uses that showed them, and if I remember correctly, weren't there either concept art or map renders in Source 2 for L4D2?

rrs

Well, that rumor certainly is detailed. I guess whenever they officially reveal it, we'll know whether this is bullshit or not.

Remember we do technically know that both HL3 and L4D3 are being worked on, just no idea how much, and it's likely very little has been done with HL3, if anything. There was those pictures of the bug tracking software Valve uses that showed them, and if I remember correctly, weren't there either concept art or map renders in Source 2 for L4D2?

yeah, got the bug tests and some source 2 renders of one of the plantation maps with updated graphics from L4D2

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In general I'm hesitant to trust rumors that don't contain something that's both 1.) at least somewhat unexpected and 2.) totally believable in context.

It's rare for a high end developer to make a game without trying to add at least one or two exciting new features.

That said I easily believe Left 4 Dead 3 is a thing for other reasons, but the details here don't strike me as something that really carry a lot of weight.

Lingitiz

I don't doubt the existence of Left 4 Dead 3 but I can't imagine they would just make another sequel to it. Obviously they need it to be a long lasting service and the last two games weren't really that. I wonder what they could do to change it up and make people play it as much as a TF2, CSGO, or DOTA 2.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure that this "3" isn't the 3 that Valve fans are hoping / wishing / praying for.

ymgve

....they picked the one that sells the best on consoles. Hardly surprising.

The most surprising thing to me is that it's not targeted for 2016. That's not to say I'm taking everything in the OP as gospel.

Maybe they meant Fiscal Year 2017 which starts somewhere around mid-2016.

good god left 4 dead 2 is 7 years old , feels only like last week people were boycotting it for coming out too early .

Not much a fan of the series ....waiting for opposing force 2 , portal 3....or maybe hl3

salromano

SegmentNext's article is based off Express', and Express cites "reports" that claim this information, but does not provide a source for the reports. The Express story also links to another Express story when talking about the six campaigns. That same story also cites "reports" that don't exist.

Calling bullshit.

SegmentNext's article is based off Express', and Express cites "reports" that claim this information, but does not provide a source for the reports. The Express story also links to another Express story when talking about the six campaigns. That same story also cites "reports" that don't exist.

Calling bullshit.

That's some layered bullshit.

I'd be totally down with this, Left 4 Dead 2 is still super fun and it still floats around the top 20 games in Steam stats all the time.

Dragonfly

Neo Member
Why... just... Oy vey.

Is Valve not capable of finishing the Half-Life story?

I can understand L4D3 being easy to sell, but it just pains me to hear this.

Big Dog

Too specific of a rumor for me. Having individual campaign names for 5 locations that won't be out until 2017 seems too early. I welcome the possibility of a sequel, but I don't take much truth in it.

iirc He leaked a slideshow that had shots of L4D3 running on Source 2. I still don't think it was real.

edit: Found it http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758999

I believe those images were real. But that is not L4D3. It even says it's L4D2 on that image. Similar to the news that Bethesda ported Skyrim to Xbox One to gain practice on the engine, I would believe that Valve ported L4D2 to their new Source Engine for some practice with the system. Doesn't mean we will ever see it as consumers though.

Surfinn

What a nightmare of a day for Valve news. Will someone at least wake me up and assure me Laidlaw is still there?

KingBroly

Banned
Given Valve's "focus" the last few years, I'm inclined to believe this.

But I don't believe they'll call it Left 4 Dead 3 since I'm convinced Valve doesn't know 3 exists. They'll probably just call it Left 4 Dead and it'll be some F2P thing like TF2 and Dota where people can easily create/share campaigns on top of previous Campaigns they'll provide.

Big Dog

TF2 got hats. CS got weapon skins. What does L4D3 get?

A level building system like Portal's could be fairly cool. I know there are lots of custom campaigns, but a streamlined application for doing so would open up a lot for people to mess around and be more creative I would think. This would also be plausible because a similar system has been implemented into Dota 2 with the Source 2 update (and even a bit before). Valve provides plenty of custom characters and textures inside a level building program.

IvanJ

Banned
Rumor or not, I am looking forward to it.
Left 4 Dead was easily and by far my favorite X360 exclusive.

No matter when, how or for which price it is released, I'm getting it day one.

Oeufcoque

Banned
I believe those images were real. But that is not L4D3. It even says it's L4D2 on that image. Similar to the news that Bethesda ported Skyrim to Xbox One to gain practice on the engine, I would believe that Valve ported L4D2 to their new Source Engine for some practice with the system. Doesn't mean we will ever see it as consumers though.
Yeah I realized that after looking at the page and seeing that it was L4D2 and not L4D3.

So who else is feeling like Marc Laidlaw (remember his HL fanfic on twitter) really, REALLY wanted to do HL3 but couldn't get any traction, then when L4D3 became the obvious next release he bounced?

Gaht Damn it Valve, PLEASE just finish the HL story. I don't care if its in comic book form at this freakin' point I just want closure! :(

213372bu

Banned
They have been seen as actively updating 1/2 "L4D 3" sections in the client they use for project sharing/database/internal chat since maybe around 2010/2011 Winter.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are just now releasing it now that they finally have the Source 2 they always wanted to work on.

So who else is feeling like Marc Laidlaw (remember his HL fanfic on twitter) really, REALLY wanted to do HL3 but couldn't get any traction, then when L4D3 became the obvious next release he bounced?

Gaht Damn it Valve, PLEASE just finish the HL story. I don't care if its in comic book for at this freakin' point I just want closure! :(

I keep hearing different things about this, did Laidlaw leave with the intention of going somewhere else or is he retiring from the games industry in general?

Completely off topic, but Left 4 Dead 1/2 weren't exactly "scary" games but there were definitely parts that were pretty damned terrifying (like the sugar cane field in Hard Rain). Just imagine areas like that in VR. Could be neat.

Jesus, L4D2 was seven years ago.

tumblr_m25s9paA8Q1roamg8o1_500.jpg

They will need something new to showcase Source 2 with (a Dota 2 reskin is not enough) so I imagine it will be this if the rumour pans out. Valve had a strong presence at GDC last year to promote the controller and Vulkan so perhaps we will see this there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom