• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is looking to acquire Obsidian Entertainment (CONFIRMED)

Just don't what?
You have no interest in what they plan to do with their new 5 acquisitions. You also have no interest in anything Obsidian does if it's related to Microsoft even if they stay to their roots because at the end of the day you just want all games available where you don't have to use Windows Store or buy an Xbox. That's all this is about. The more you talk the more I hope they do acquire them.
You hope I'm forced to give up modding, give up refunds, give up the ideal of having every Obsidian game DRM-free/platform neutral, enter a walled garden ecosystem and probably give up Obsidian's style of complex role playing games just so you can laugh at me as I'm forced to use their awful storefront and an operating system that phones home an obscene amount just to play one of my favorite studios' games? The Windows Store is a pile of shit that I wouldn't wish upon anybody.

Also, to answer your question, no I'm not interested in their acquisitions because it's inherently anti-consumer, especially when it means acquiring studios and IPs that were formerly multiplatform and I can't believe there are people publicly celebrating independent studios getting scooped up by a mega corporation. Do you understand how fucking insane that is?

Last edited:
You hope I'm forced to give up modding, give up refunds, give up the ideal of having every Obsidian game DRM-free/platform neutral, enter a walled garden ecosystem and probably give up Obsidian's style of complex role playing games just so you can laugh at me as I'm forced to use their awful storefront and an operating system that phones home an obscene amount just to play one of my favorite studios' games? The Windows Store is a pile of shit that I wouldn't wish upon anybody.

Also, to answer your question, no I'm not interested in their acquisitions because it's inherently anti-consumer, especially when it means acquiring studios and IPs that were formerly multiplatform and I can't believe there are people publicly celebrating independent studios getting scooped up by a mega corporation. Do you understand how fucking insane that is?

Modding, on recent Obsidian games? Are we talking the subclass mod in PoE2? I mean, I like it, I used it to make a Watershaper druid (named Manannán mac Lir) since I always create my own party. And if it's going to be on any system, it will be the Xbox. Sony has proven they really don't want modding going on. Skyrim/Fallout 4 on PS4 vs. Xbox is night and day. Obviously PC has the all-options XXX thing going on, not hating btw, but Xbox does far better than anything Sony has done modding wise.

As far as walled garden ecosystem, it's 2018. This isn't when Windows XP came out vs. Windows 2000 Professional. We're long past that time. Steam is already DRM, GOG *could* follow suit shortly. You can't expect Obsidian to last catering to Linux/non-supported Windows versions, it won't happen. And they'll still be on PC, that's almost guaranteed with Microsoft's new philosophy in regards to things like Gamepass/Play Anywhere (and even Movies anywhere recently).

As far as anti-consumer, what platform do you consider pro-consumer? I'm just curious.

As far as being fucking insane. That's a small price to pay for more Obsidian games. Are you a real Obsidian fan or not? Don't be a dedder putting blinds on the dusties.

Last edited:

Yes , we all know how you feel about Xbox users too.

Alexander DeLarge member: 468127 said:
Meanwhile a couple Xbox users online are bitching about the lack of Japanese games. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that no one buys shit outside of dudebro shooters and racing games on Xbox.

Your attitude is garbage but please continue to enjoy playing games on your PS4 that is a walled garden, with worse refund policies/customer service, and more restrictions on modding. So let's be grateful they are not rumored to be buying them.

Last edited:
Yes , we all know how you feel about Xbox users too.

Your attitude is garbage but please continue to enjoy playing games on your PS4 that is a walled garden, with worse refund policies/customer service, and more restrictions on modding. So let's be grateful they are not rumored to be buying them.

And how am I wrong? Because I forgot to throw Tomb Raider's year long exclusivity and Minecraft in there and some indie platformers they threw a couple hundred grand at to buy exclusivity deals, including Super Lucky's Tale, a game many fans of the first game can't play now? Don't forget Swery's game which wasn't a success until Microsoft didn't give a shit about exclusivity anymore and it made it's way to PC? It's no secret that Xbox users aren't buying Japanese games outside of Dark Souls and Final Fantasy. Go look at the last ten years of their lineup, army guys with chainsaws on their guns, space marines, racing, cancelled Japanese RPG, space marines, army guys with chainsaws on their guns, throw in 5 years of Kinect shovelware and back to the same old same old.

Also where did the Sony stuff come from? You're the one bringing them up. I'm not invested in console wars. I'm against gated ecosystems. The only reason I care is because Microsoft has a habit of acquiring studios instead of building their own and there's talk of acquiring Japanese studios (which again, Xbox users haven't supported worth a damn, IPs potentially going along with it) and one of the few studios still making role playing games with more depth than the depth of a puddle and for a variety of reasons, I couldn't think of a less fitting acquisition if I sat down and gave it more thought than it's worth.

I genuinely hope you're a stockholder or Bill Gates' son or something because I can't imagine what kind of thought process leads to advocating for a mega corporations acquiring studios left and right. At least if money was involved, I'd understand.

Last edited:
some indie platformers they threw a couple hundred grand at to buy exclusivity deals

Money talks and bullshit walks. If some indie developers want to take the money, that's their perogative. If some fans want to decry sell-out/corporate this/capitalist that, eh whatever. They're corporations, their business is to make money. Standing up for ideals gets them nowhere 99/100 times. Obsidian has basically done that before and where has it got them? Nearly on the verge of closing up? Sometimes it's basically a matter of "fuck your principles" and you do what's right to get by. That may not fly with everyone, so be it, but it's what's best for the company and the real fans will see beyond that and support them. If that's a bridge too far, then that's where you as a fan part ways.

Last edited:
Money talks and bullshit walks. If some indie developers want to take the money, that's their perogative. If some fans want to decry sell-out/corporate this/capitalist that, eh whatever. They're corporations, their business is to make money. Standing up for ideals gets them nowhere 99/100 times. Obsidian has basically done that before and where has it got them? Nearly on the verge of closing up? Sometimes it's basically a matter of "fuck your principals" and you do what's right to get by. That may not fly with everyone, so be it, but it's what's best for the company and the real fans will see beyond that and support them. If that's a bridge too far, then that's where you as a fan part ways.
Except those are corporate interests and what kind of consumer gives a crap about their interests? They shouldn't. It's weird and delusional.
Also, I recall similar statements being made about Origin Systems/Bullfrog/rather than listing out all the companies that have been fucked over by acquisitions, I'll just post these
2q9fyhn7qzxz.jpg

8a9.jpg

Seriously, people were saying that Origin being bought it by EA would allow Richard Garriott to secure Ultima's future. That Raven Software could make even better games. That Bullfrog could get a budget deserving of their awesome games for once. That Lionhead could get the time and money needed to expand on Peter's vision. Yeah, it really worked out well for all those companies. There's decades worth of precedent for this.

"real fans will see beyond that and support them" lol

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I have anti-Microsoft bias for a multitude of reasons (a lot of people do because it's justifiable, they've pissed off enthusiast users, developers and especially gamers). That's true but what the hell did I say that was untrue in the post you're quoting? Xbox users historically haven't supported Japanese games worth a damn and I'm sick of people online frothing at the mouth at the idea that they should buy studios and acquire intellectual properties that their users haven't supported. It's a death sentence for anyone and anything involved.

Also I don't support the Windows Store because it's still the same broken piece of garbage that launched in 2012 with Windows 8. An app store/repository for Windows applications? How could they possibly fuck that up right? Sounds amazing. It wasn't and still isn't. Let's not even get into the shortcomings that come inherently with UWP.
Japanese games don't sell on Xbox because the people who buy such games don't buy Xbox. Most of the sells of dmc 5 on Xbox are going to be from Xbox fans who look at the trailer and think 'hey that game looks great', but most dmc fans are on PlayStation and they look at Xbox with disgust (like you) so the game will sell more on PS4. It's not the Xbox users fault.

KonradLaw

You're getting carried away because you have no idea where their future lies to begin with. Second of all having Microsoft to help finance them means they can create more games.
Just not likelly the games PC users want from them. That's the problem. Something like Pillars of Eternity will never happen again if MS buys them.
Of course, this is PC industry. If MS would screw them up staff can always leave and with their credentials they wouldn't have problems securing investments and crowdfunding. Especially since Obsidian doesn't own any big IPs, so starting from scratch wouldn't be a huge problem.

Anyway, as always, with PC devs any purchases MS makes will be a good thing for Xbox and a bad one for PC. This has been true since first XBox launched and it's likelly never going to change.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Precisely. PD has done Motor Toon, they've done Omega Boost, Tourist Trophy. I can understand why Kaz in just focused on GT now as this is a big franchise from Sony and they have few racing IP's these days. Naughty Dog is juggling Uncharted and TLOU. Santa Monica just gave GOW a reboot and have their name stamped on all types of indies like (flow, flower, journey), even PS all stars and more. These teams are not relegated to rehashing the same franchise over and over, at least they try to change the formula or reboot a series past part 3 or lay it to bed....
Give me some examples and I'm not talking Crackdown. For example, if you cite Horizon and the next Forza, do you think these games will be a huge departure than what we've seen of prior entries? As for Crackdown, lots of the rumormill I've read suggests that MS forcing this cloud tech down Sumo's throat and those three studios working together is what's causing all this delay (Sumo, Reagent games and Cloudgine), especially the implementation of cloud features...
MS is not forcing it on Sumo, it was David Jones idea, besides the original Crackdown was also fully destructible. Ruffian Games is developing the multiplayer(and there work is done) and Sumo is doing the single player.

Also, Turn 10 said they are not working on Forza Motorsport 8 so either they will take their time or they are working on something new.

Heck, if 343i was on schedule Halo Infinite would release on 2018 but now it's not even coming on 2019. Halo Infinite itself is complete departure from modern Halo games. Bungie originally showed wildlife in the original Halo CE demo but never implemented it, Halo Infinite seems to going to the sandboxed open world theme of Halo CE. Unlike Sony Santa Monica, 343i handles everything Halo including the books,comics and the upcoming Halo TV show.

Even Playground Games is working on an open world action rpg, so I don't know how many 'examples' you want.
The hardware could have been better, but it wasn't the problem, as can be seen now, because XBONEX is still not lighting the charts on fire. It's also the reason Nintendo is doing better than MS currently, they have much worse hardware than an XBOX-ONE at launch day, without all the cutbacks on kinect, giving devs more access to ram, cpu cores etc...but there's something that's giving such hardware momentum over XBOX-ONE as is evident in the NPD and if you choose to peruse this weeks UK Chart Track.......

Good points otherwise....

The thing about fixing hardware this late, is you expect software to be fixed too. I don't think anybody has the expectation of running to get a $500 4+ years into this gen with no software to show for it or to show such hardware....If hardware is fixed, then that should come with some good software. So talks of new studios now, does not affect the current XBONEX owner, they will still have to buy new hardware in 2020 to play the games from all those acquistions.

Speaking about acquiring new studios though, it's really not an all-in-one answer. You want great talent rather than just a bevy of studios for the numbers, or at least, you should try to foster it and allow creative freedom, but most importantly, good direction from proven directors......You see, creative freedom is just not about giving any old developer more time. So again it comes back to talent. The SOD team had lots of time to do SOD2, Rare had lots of time to do SOT, We happy few devs had lots of time too, that game was in Early access for a long time.....The Crackdown Team has had more than an age, more time does not alway imply a better product, it can also imply problems or lack of talent to realize the publisher's demands....

So yes, we must be cognizant of when talent pools have shifted and when developers are just not on their A game anymore. Buying Konami now, won't solve MS's problem. There have not been a good Silent Hill game since the PS2, who's going to do it, where's the talent? An MGS without Kojima will just be an empty shell. Look at the last game from Konami under the Metal Gear name, you have to evaluate this before making purchases to solve a problem. Remember, MS's problem is just not about getting games, it's about getting quality games, looking at how most of their games are rated/reviewed at the minute. So if you purchase an outfit like Konami and Silent Hill 5 is just terrible or the next MGS is an abomination with low MC scores, it will hurt MS more and these studios will be quickly summoned to the chopping block to get redress....

I think that talk had to do with the collaboration for crossplay. FWIW....

Generally

I've read some posts which suggests that Obsidian is in trouble and they need the help, but is that really a formula to get the talent you need to get quality games? Still, how bad are things over at Obsidian, they're on a tear lately. Pillars 1+2 have seen tremendous success and they are a talented studio no doubt, but the possibility of culling their flame and talent is a possibility under MS. As it stands, they're not on the breadline from what I'm reading....
I am sure they can atleast buy Silent Hill from Konami and give it to swery65, but I guess this is better

So, you think Initiative, Playground Games, 343i and Ninja Theory are not great talents?

Btw Compulsion Games is comprised of former Valve,Arkane Studios and even ex-Bioshock Dev's while Undead Labs is comprised of ex-Blizzard employees, with a AAA budget and bigger studio headcount, they can definitely do wonders.

Also there's no confirmation that Obsidian is being acquired and they are not in trouble due to Microsoft, read my new post.
Regarding Stormlands and Obsidian I wonder why no one talks about this interview from Chris Avellone before making Microsoft the bad guys

On Stormlands, one of Obsidian’s canceled projects.

Sunday, May 6, 1:05 PM: “Feargus didn’t do it to Bethesda, but he certainly painted a different picture of how the Microsoft Stormlands cancellation went down – because he had no choice. While I don’t think all of Microsoft’s requests were something we could have done (although they might have been willing to pay to have it done), there was room for discussion and middle ground, but they were repeatedly told “no,” in very forceful terms. Having got the same reactions to feedback I’ve given, I can say it makes you hesitate before doing it again. When it started becoming apparent they were going to pull away, Feargus worked very hard to try and save that relationship, but it was too late. It was definitely not something Feargus wanted, however, but after the fact, he had little choice but to highlight the nobility of the studio’s stance when the project was canceled, and arguably, the story also worked well for crowdsourcing messaging as it garnered a lot of sympathy (it’s one reason the documentary video for the KS feels disingenuous). From my view, it was not a case of a noble developer standing up to the big publisher even though that makes for a better story… the developer drove the publisher away, when that was the exact opposite of what upper management wanted to do (they wanted to do large, expensive AAA titles). The event certainly did a lot of damage to the studio, and we had to let a lot of good people go as a result of the decisions of a few, and I think it could have been handled differently if we weren’t so difficult to work with overall on multiple levels. As icing on an otherwise dismal layoff day, after I had had to go through letting people go (who were not on Stormlands and had done nothing to contribute to its failure), I came back to report to the other owners, only to hear from Feargus that one employee he was going to let go was retained – our front desk receptionist, Feargus’s sister. I still wonder to this day if that had meant I could have kept one of the employees we had who had an equivalent salary and was actually contributing to our projects, but I was too furious at the news to speak.”

Sunday, May 6, 2:05 PM: “[Stormlands] was exactly the opportunity many in the studio wanted (a good chunk of the upper management wanted to do an AAA game to make their mark and have said as much in interviews – I don’t think you need to do it via AAA to make your mark, but I don’t object to the sentiment to want to do so). The Microsoft deal seemed to be a great way to have a solid foundation for once. It might be challenging, but it was worth fighting for. However, the problems increased over time on both sides until Microsoft didn’t want to deal with it anymore, and I didn’t blame them. I wouldn’t even have minded us going our separate ways except there was no contingency plan in place for when it happened (although we were able to keep some team members – I do think a number of people who weren’t responsible for what happened, inc. the Lead Producer and Lead Programmer, didn’t deserve to be let go while others who had directly contributed to the problem got to stay). Aliens was a bit more confusing, but one fact there is it’s sometimes said the game was close to being done, which wasn’t the case: it was at vertical slice stage (and a good one, I thought), then it got cancelled, but much of the full production work had not been done, it wasn’t close to shipping or anything as some people assume.”

Last edited:

KonradLaw

I am sure they can atleast buy Silent Hill from Konami and give it to swery65, but I guess this is better

If they do I hope Lawrence will do the writing for game to. That man's work is wonderful mix of stunningly beautiful prose and insanely dark and disturbing ideas. Plus he's doing writing for Ashen game, so he will have experience in this medium.

Bernkastel

Damn I put so much effort to reply to thelastword only to realise that someone else is having a bigger meltdown, no way in hell am I reading all these posts. Going after the fans ? It reminds when VaatiVidya called out Xbox fans as it's really hard to be an Xbox fan.

Last edited:
Japanese games don't sell on Xbox because the people who buy such games don't buy Xbox. Most of the sells of dmc 5 on Xbox are going to be from Xbox fans who look at the trailer and think 'hey that game looks great', but most dmc fans are on PlayStation and they look at Xbox with disgust (like you) so the game will sell more on PS4. It's not the Xbox users fault.

People like him say the Xbox doesn't have the games they want to play but if they go after the games they want then they get upset because now they are on Xbox.
Replace EA with Microsoft. Ensemble Studios, Lionhead, almost killed Platinum too with their bullshit. Better?

Halo Wars 2 was good, it was made by Creative Assembly. Age of Empires IV is coming out and it will be made by Relic Entertainment. Also 2 of the main guys left Ensemble before Microsoft even acquired them. Now we have Robot Entertainment and the others now work for Zynga. So where is this black hole without Ensemble Studios? They made Age of Empires, we are getting a new Age of Empires.

Peter Molyneux left Microsoft, where is he now? Playground Games is rumored to be making a new RPG (some think it's a new Fable). So what is the black hole there when Fable Legends didn't look that great and now they have two teams at Playground Games. Much better now than then.

Scalebound looked rough but ever since it got cancelled oddly enough now all the trolls are interested in it. How convenient.

The bottom line is this, (which you repeatedly ignore and a common theme among trolls that pollute forums whom refuse to listen but to rather agitate and be disruptive) there is new leadership, the old guard didn't have much faith in Xbox. Nadella does. That's why they are building and as they are building you want to talk about closures. You're pathetic. wanting to talk about the history and DRM, surprised you're not letting it all loose and bring up RRoD. Now their hardware is beautiful so what does RRoD have to do with today? Same thing with talking about closures, they are now building. One does not lead to the other just because of the past. If you're not onboard with them trying to be more competitive then that's on you. If you'd rather hold a grudge for many more years, that's on you. I however will continue to enjoy whatever good games come out, regardless of what system they are on.

So I will say this again and again. Microsoft ain't going away. So you can wait and see if this rumor is true and if so wait and see what materializes or you can act like a child kicking and screaming. Again that is on you.

Just not likelly the games PC users want from them. That's the problem. Something like Pillars of Eternity will never happen again if MS buys them.
Of course, this is PC industry. If MS would screw them up staff can always leave and with their credentials they wouldn't have problems securing investments and crowdfunding. Especially since Obsidian doesn't own any big IPs, so starting from scratch wouldn't be a huge problem.

Anyway, as always, with PC devs any purchases MS makes will be a good thing for Xbox and a bad one for PC. This has been true since first XBox launched and it's likelly never going to change.

Microsoft has Age of Empires IV coming out and Xbox fans seem upset because as of now it's only coming to the PC. Mind telling me what Nintendo and Sony have coming out that are strategy games like that? Microsoft has also continued to make another Halo Wars without Ensemble and it was just as good as the original but hardcore PC gamers will see it as too casual and made for consoles because they managed to get it to work well with a gamepad. I bought the package on my PC, and yes through Windows Store.

See, videogames is supposed to be a fun hobby but when you have extremists they take this hobby too far. Way too serious and always acting like the world is ending. The PC has hundreds of games come out each year, the consoles also have hundreds of games each year but we continue to see trolls acting like everything is just so terrible. Obsidian having to shut down is what would be terrible, them having the financial backing of Microsoft would be a much better thing. You guys don't know what's going on with them, you have no idea if they want to be bought out or not. That's THEIR choice, not yours. You're just the passenger enjoying the ride with your measly $60 investment. These guys have to worry about their future, all you have to worry about is how good their next game is.

Last edited:
Scalebound looked rough but ever since it got cancelled oddly enough now all the trolls are interested in it. How convenient.
As a huge Platinum fan, I was interested in it from the start. You keep labeling me a troll, I'm not. I just dislike what Microsoft does to PC gaming and now they're fucking around with some of my favorite studios and I really dislike that. It's rumored that the closed door presentations of Scalebound went full Platinum action and that leads me to believe that Microsoft just demoed it poorly on stage in the same way that Bethesda poorly demoed DOOM 2016 and made it look like a generic coridor shooter, which is largely why people were so surprised it was actually good.

So I will say this again and again. Microsoft ain't going away.
And that's a shame because I don't believe for a goddamn second that they've changed and anyone who honestly does is a misinformed, optimistic fool or being a completely disingenuous console warrior and frankly, I think you're both. They've been saying they've changed for 25 years now and you want me to be happy that one of the few studios still making role playing games with actual role playing in them are going to be sold off to a mega corp that has stagnated in original IPs since the final years of the original Xbox and has repeatedly made pushes to monetize PC gaming in ways that disgust PC gamers? Say goodbye to modding. Say goodbye to platform neutrality. Say goodbye to refunds and worst of all, likely say goodbye to the kind of game design, originality and innovation that Obsidian is known for. Unlike you, I'm not frothing at the mouth at the prospect of one of my favorite studios becoming the "Gears of War open world RPG" company. It's a poor acquisition. The fans of the studio we're talking about largely agree and I question anyone who disagrees given the specifics (and the fact that Obsidian fans are generally old enough to remember what Microsoft has done to studios it has acquired).

Microsoft should build their own damn studios instead of acquiring them and holding their games hostage under exclusivity. At least if they built their own studios, nothing would really be lost.

I don't think it is at all controversial to hate Microsoft as a PC gamer. What have they done for us? Developed graphics libraries that are used to keep us in an ecosystem that many of us don't want to be a part of? Attempted to monetize multiplayer on PC? Stripped modding from games that would be significantly improved through modding efforts? Developed a storefront that lacks refund functionality and still hasn't been fixed for 6 years? Stripped away any semblance of privacy on personal computers to the point where I get prompted to let Windows phone home at random intervals (particularly when I'm typing) and when I open up any sort of media files, including photos and video files? Not to mention the constant OneDrive connections. Don't believe me? Run GlassWire for 24 hours.

Part of me believes you genuinely want to see PC gaming suck as much as it does on your Xbox. No thanks.

Last edited:
As a huge Platinum fan, I was interested in it from the start. You keep labeling me a troll, I'm not. I just dislike what Microsoft does to PC gaming and now they're fucking around with some of my favorite studios and I really dislike that. It's rumored that the closed door presentations of Scalebound went full Platinum action and that leads me to believe that Microsoft just demoed it poorly on stage in the same way that Bethesda poorly demoed DOOM 2016 and made it look like a generic coridor shooter, which is largely why people were so surprised it was actually good.

And that's a shame because I don't believe for a goddamn second that they've changed and anyone who honestly does is a misinformed, optimistic fool or being a completely disingenuous console warrior and frankly, I think you're both. They've been saying they've changed for 25 years now and you want me to be happy that one of the few studios still making role playing games with actual role playing in them are going to be sold off to a mega corp that has stagnated in original IPs since the final years of the original Xbox and has repeatedly made pushes to monetize PC gaming in ways that disgust PC gamers? Say goodbye to modding. Say goodbye to platform neutrality. Say goodbye to refunds (which is pretty important considering their shitty store doesn't work and they haven't fixed it in 6 years) and worst of all, likely say goodbye to the kind of game design that Obsidian is known for.

How about we just say goodbye to you? You'll feel a lot better just ignoring what they do but like all trolls they just can't help themselves being overly dramatic on forums. I've also never had a problem getting a refund so you're embellishing but that's nothing new. The fact is games get cancelled, that's the way this industry is but it looks like you want have Microsoft in your target no matter what happens out there. So go and enjoy Divinity 2 and the hundreds of other titles out there. You making a big fuss over nothing is hilarious. I have so many games in my backlog of Steam games it's ridiculous but just like all the EA haters they just love to focus on something to bitch about. We are fucking spoiled right now with the insane amount of games that get made now and so many platforms to choose from.

We are fucking spoiled right now with the insane amount of games that get made now and so many platforms to choose from.
And you're the one advocating for less choices for consumers so let's say goodbye to you. It's clear you don't give a shit about the history of Obsidian, their fans, the appeal of their games (many aspects of which will be stripped away by this acquisition). I look forward to your shitposts in the thread about Microsoft potentially buying Japanese studios that Xbox users historically haven't supported worth a damn either.

Also, just as I suspected, a disingenuous console warrior. It certainly isn't policy to support refunds on their storefront unless they'll get fined and forced out of the market for not complying with European/Australian law.
I've also never had a problem getting a refund so you're embellishing but that's nothing new.

Can I get a refund for a digital game?
No. You can’t return a digital game and receive a refund or credit.
Most apps, games, movies, TV shows, and books purchased in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10 or Xbox One are non-refundable unless the offer or applicable law states that you’re eligible for a refund.
(Translation: You better live in Europe/Australia or you can go fuck yourself)
Source: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/purchasing/buying-digital-game-faq
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...count-refunds-for-purchases-and-subscriptions

Last edited:
And you're the one advocating for less choices for consumers so let's say goodbye to you. It's clear you don't give a shit about the history of Obsidian, their fans, the appeal of their games (many aspects of which will be stripped away by this acquisition). I look forward to your shitposts in the thread about Microsoft potentially buying Japanese studios that Xbox users historically haven't supported worth a damn either.

Also, just as I suspected, a disingenuous console warrior.

Can I get a refund for a digital game?
No. You can’t return a digital game and receive a refund or credit.
Most apps, games, movies, TV shows, and books purchased in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10 or Xbox One are non-refundable unless the offer or applicable law states that you’re eligible for a refund.
(Translation: You better live in Europe/Australia or you can go fuck yourself)
Source: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/purchasing/buying-digital-game-faq
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...count-refunds-for-purchases-and-subscriptions

I don't have an Xbox but you have a PS4, so who exactly is the console warrior? The PS4 also has more restrictions on modding but you buy PS4 games? Also how am I advocating for less choice if Obsidian continues to have the financial backing to continue making games? You're the one who thinks they know better than Obsidian how to run their business. It's hilarious watching you act like you know what you're talking about and you totally ignored my response to the closed studios. Like I said, you're a drama queen acting like the world is ending when we have just as much choice if not more now.

They may have changed it since last April (Digital Refunds Coming). It was a pre-order for Sea of Thieves that I cancelled and got my money. The fact is the refund policy is no better on Playstation or Nintendo, so why is Microsoft the evil one? The PS4 also has more restrictions on modding but you buy PS4 games?

Hopefully Konami is next that they acquire so we can see some actual games come out.

Last edited:
Obsidian has mentioned being open to be acquired before, so this wouldn’t surprise me. I’m actually very interested to see if this deal gets done, we may see something on Tuesday at Gamescom.

Bernkastel

Let just look at the announcement trailer

"Perfect protagonist for the xbot fan-base a, #faget "
"Enough with the young edgy badass protagonists in video games. "
"They just had to make the main character of an otherwise cool looking game a complete douche bag And why does he have headphones :/ ffs "
"You're Telling me I get to be natsu? "
"I don't want to play as Joffery... "
"Why does the main character look like an even cockier version of DmC Dante? "
"Oh look an exact copy of devil may cry's dante"
"I hate to be that guy but this just looks dumb. "
"I'll pay $30 for this game max "
"devil may monster hunter with the hydra from willow. I don't not like it. "
"Xbone game, who cares. "
"Does the protagonist have "problems" or something? "
"What ? Fake Game ! Original : Devil May Cry Series. (Legend Game, King DANTE !) "
"XBox One now starting to suck even more then before!"
And I can go on more. Dont lie, at that time the only ones defending the game were Xbox fans. All the comments that are praising the game are after the game was cancelled. Even PlayStation youtubers like TheGamingBritShow were critical of this game but after the game was cancelled it became his "most awaited Xbox game", I wonder why it was not his most awaited Xbox game before it was cancelled.
Heck, before it was cancelled I remember if I tried to start a thread about the game on 4chan, it will be filled with ridicule and then mods will delete the thread.
You make it like Platinum Games did nothing wrong and everything was Microsofts fault but then why did Platinum Games took 5 years and couldnt finish the game while Nier Automata took 2 years ? Why did Hideki Kamiya and Platinum Games apologise about this incident if it was Microsoft's fault ? Knowing Kamiya's nature he should have roasted Microsoft in his twitter, instead we got this

I rarely saw the Playstation fans defending the game before it was cancelled but after the game was cancelled it became there 'beloved'.
Also, there are hints that it may return in future
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/scalebound-trademark-renewed/
But, I am sure the hate comments will be back.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

Microsoft has Age of Empires IV coming out and Xbox fans seem upset because as of now it's only coming to the PC. Mind telling me what Nintendo and Sony have coming out that are strategy games like that? Microsoft has also continued to make another Halo Wars without Ensemble and it was just as good as the original but hardcore PC gamers will see it as too casual and made for consoles because they managed to get it to work well with a gamepad. I bought the package on my PC, and yes through Windows Store.
Actually since Xbox 360 launched Sony has published far more PC exclusives than MS. That's how bad it has been. AoE IV is a step in right direction, but unless it's on Steam it will die in few weeks. THat's just reality. It's fine to push your own platform, but it has to make any sense. It it's guaranteed failure then it's just dumb. After AoE: Definitive Edition it's obvious IV needs to be on Steam. If it won't it will show that Microsoft still doesn't understand anything about PC market and is unwilling to learn from their mistakes.

MS used to be one of great PC publishing houses. They they literally made it self-destruct in silly attempt to switch their gaming audience to Xbox. MS has done nothing so far to win PC gamers trust and they sure as hell don't deserve getting it on credit.
See, videogames is supposed to be a fun hobby but when you have extremists they take this hobby too far. Way too serious and always acting like the world is ending. The PC has hundreds of games come out each year, the consoles also have hundreds of games each year but we continue to see trolls acting like everything is just so terrible. Obsidian having to shut down is what would be terrible, them having the financial backing of Microsoft would be a much better thing. You guys don't know what's going on with them, you have no idea if they want to be bought out or not. That's THEIR choice, not yours. You're just the passenger enjoying the ride with your measly $60 investment. These guys have to worry about their future, all you have to worry about is how good their next game is.
Well, duh. Do I make money if Obsidian succeeds? Will Microsoft pay my retirement fund? Nope. So why would anyone care about those things? We are gamers. We care about games.

So I will say this again and again. Microsoft ain't going away.
Indeed. But thanfully, no matter how much they try, all their crappy PC gaming initiatives, like Windows Store, will always fail. As long as MS remains tiny player in PC gaming market I don't think most pcgamers will care what they do. Even if they buyout some PC studios and screw them up those people will just leave and start from scratch again anyway.

Last edited:
Actually since Xbox 360 launched Sony has published far more PC exclusives than MS. That's how bad it has been. AoE IV is a step in right direction, but unless it's on Steam it will die in few weeks. THat's just reality. It's fine to push your own platform, but it has to make any sense. It it's guaranteed failure then it's just dumb. After AoE: Definitive Edition it's obvious IV needs to be on Steam. If it won't it will show that Microsoft still doesn't understand anything about PC market and is unwilling to learn from their mistakes.

MS used to be one of great PC publishing houses. They they literally made it self-destruct in silly attempt to switch their gaming audience to Xbox. MS has done nothing so far to win PC gamers trust and they sure as hell don't deserve getting it on credit.
Well, duh. Do I make money if Obsidian succeeds? Will Microsoft pay my retirement fund? Nope. So why would anyone care about those things? We are gamers. We care about games.

Indeed. But thanfully, no matter how much they try all their crappy PC gaming initiatives, like Windows Store, will always fail. As long as MS remains tiny player in PC gaming market I don't think most pcgamers will care what they do. Even if they buyout some PC studios and screw them up those people will just leave and start from scratch again anyway.

Sony has an RTS game coming? Cool, it's about time we see something different. See, I was talking about PC games, not console exclusive deals like Street Fighter V, since the argument was about how Microsoft wouldn't have a RPG like Pillars if they bought Obsidian because they don't know how to make deep games PC players are looking forward to. Mind showing me all these Sony published titles lately that compare to Age of Empires IV or even Halo Wars 2?

Let just look at the announcement trailer

"Perfect protagonist for the xbot fan-base a, #faget "
"Enough with the young edgy badass protagonists in video games. "
"They just had to make the main character of an otherwise cool looking game a complete douche bag And why does he have headphones :/ ffs "
"You're Telling me I get to be natsu? "
"I don't want to play as Joffery... "
"Why does the main character look like an even cockier version of DmC Dante? "
"Oh look an exact copy of devil may cry's dante"
"I hate to be that guy but this just looks dumb. "
"I'll pay $30 for this game max "
"devil may monster hunter with the hydra from willow. I don't not like it. "
"Xbone game, who cares. "
"Does the protagonist have "problems" or something? "
"What ? Fake Game ! Original : Devil May Cry Series. (Legend Game, King DANTE !) "
"XBox One now starting to suck even more then before!"
And I can go on more. Dont lie, at that time the only ones defending the game were Xbox fans. All the comments that are praising the game are after the game was cancelled. Even PlayStation youtubers like TheGamingBritShow were critical of this game but after the game was cancelled it became his "most awaited Xbox game", I wonder why it was not his most awaited Xbox game before it was cancelled.
Heck, before it was cancelled I remember if I tried to start a thread about the game on 4chan, it will be filled with ridicule and then mods will delete the thread.
You make it like Platinum Games did nothing wrong and everything was Microsofts fault but then why did Platinum Games took 5 years and couldnt finish the game while Nier Automata took 2 years ? Why did Hideki Kamiya and Platinum Games apologise about this incident if it was Microsoft's fault ? Knowing Kamiya's nature he should have Microsoft in his twitter, instead we got this

I rarely saw the Playstation fans defending the game before it was cancelled but after the game was cancelled it became there 'beloved'.
Also, there are hints that it may return in future
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/scalebound-trademark-renewed/
But, I am sure the hate comments will be back.

That's what I've been saying before. Just like how so many PlayStation fans are now PC gamers since Microsoft went all in with it the last few years. Of course every time you ask if they buy any of these Microsoft titles on the PC they either say they don't like any of them, while they continue to buy multiplat games like Fallout on the PS4, or on that rare occasion that they actually do play on the PC it's only if they ever release on Steam. No matter what Microsoft does they will never support them. Same old patterns with the same old trolls.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

Sony has an RTS game coming? Cool, it's about time we see something different. See, I was talking about PC games, not console exclusive deals like Street Fighter V, since the argument was about how Microsoft wouldn't have a RPG like Pillars if they bought Obsidian because they don't know how to make deep games PC players are looking forward to. Mind showing me all these Sony published titles lately that compare to Age of Empires IV or even Halo Wars 2?
No. But since Xbox 360 Sony published countless PC exclusive MMOs. Now they dropped SOE so that stopped, but for good decade Sony was much bigger supporter of PC gaming than Microsoft was. That's how badly MS screwed up. So please don't act surprised people don't put much faith in MS' efforts into PC gaming.
Also..Age of Empires IV is a big budgeted RTS, Pillars of Eternity is low budgeted isometric RPG. Obsidian when bought might continue to make RPGs, but they won't continue to make PoE-like RPGs.

No matter what Microsoft does they will never support them. Same old patterns with the same old trolls.
Why would PC gamers support support MS? MS has to earn it. THey haven't. MS has history of wrecking it's own PC gaming division as well as multiple efforts to wreck entire PC gaming industry.
When MS delivers something nice PC gamers have no problems supporting it. Look at the insane numbers Age of Empires II HD did. But you seem to expect some blind loyalty to Microsoft which is bizzare. It would be bizzare for any company, but it's doubly so you expect such blind support from company that screwed up badly as many times as MS

AlanAwake

No matter what Microsoft does they will never support them. Same old patterns with the same old trolls.

What a stupid comment. PC gamers have dozens of reason to distrust Microsoft, and their latest efforts to push PC gaming into a locked down walled garden doesn't make things better.

Alexander has made some excellent point why the acquisition of Obsidian would be a loss for PC gamers. Microsoft has a terrible history a bad studio management, and no one wants more games to become Windows Store exclusive.

I'm not sure if you're aware that Age of Empires DE is a huge flop by the way. The last time I checked, there were TWO players online, compared to thousands of active players each day in AoE2 HD on Steam. If Microsoft doesn't fix their Xbox ecosystem on PC before AoE 4 releases, it won't be a succes as well I'm afraid.

No. But since Xbox 360 Sony published countless PC exclusive MMOs. Now they dropped SOE so that stopped, but for good decade Sony was much bigger supporter of PC gaming than Microsoft was. That's how badly MS screwed up. So please don't act surprised people don't put much faith in MS' efforts into PC gaming.
Also..Age of Empires IV is a big budgeted RTS, Pillars of Eternity is low budgeted isometric RPG. Obsidian when bought might continue to make RPGs, but they won't continue to make PoE-like RPGs.

Why would PC gamers support support MS? MS has to earn it. THey haven't. MS has history of wrecking it's own PC gaming division as well as multiple efforts to wreck entire PC gaming industry.
When MS delivers something nice PC gamers have no problems supporting it. Look at the insane numbers Age of Empires II HD did. But you seem to expect some blind loyalty to Microsoft which is bizzare. It would be bizzare for any company, but it's doubly so you expect such blind support from company that screwed up badly as many times as MS

Oh I see, we are back to taking about the past. Therefore we give Sony the benefit as they go away from pc development but we criticize Microsoft as they get back into it.

The fact is if Obsidian was bought out by Sony or Nintendo you wouldn't be getting shit on the PC. You guys also keep ignoring that maybe they need financial stability,but again it's much easier to act like Michael Pachter Jr in the forums thinking they know better than the developer.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

What a stupid comment. PC gamers have dozens of reason to distrust Microsoft, and their latest efforts to push PC gaming into a locked down walled garden doesn't make things better.

Alexander has made some excellent point why the acquisition of Obsidian would be a loss for PC gamers. Microsoft has a terrible history a bad studio management, and no one wants more games to become Windows Store exclusive.

I'm not sure if you're aware that Age of Empires DE is a huge flop by the way. The last time I checked, there were TWO players online, compared to thousands of active players each day in AoE2 HD on Steam. If Microsoft doesn't fix their Xbox ecosystem on PC before AoE 4 releases, it won't be a succes as well I'm afraid.
All they are doing is push their own games in their store, dont know how this will cause distrust.

All they are doing is push their own games in their store, dont know how this will cause distrust.
A store that doesn't work, hasn't been fixed since it went live in 2012 and doesn't allow refunds. Also using a framework that inherently destroys modding prospects, injection methods and custom scripts. There is nothing positive about UWP or the Windows Store when compared to x86 and competing storefronts. That's the problem. It's not even remotely competitive.

Not to mention multiplayer on these Windows Store exclusives are deader than shit and do I need to link the articles of people who bought UWP versions of games that had x86 counterparts? Call of Duty Infinite Warfare had 2 people online at release day for anyone unfortunate enough to buy the UWP version instead of the x86 version.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

Oh I see, we are back to taking about the past. Therefore we give Sony the benefit as they go away from pc development but we criticize Microsoft as they get back into it.
I'm not giving Sony benefit of the doubt, since they're not in PC gaming anymore. But if they ever get back it would be natural to give them benefit of the doubt, since they did pretty damn well on PC.
Microsoft on the other hand hasn't done well for PC in last decade. So exactly why would we give it benefit of the doubt? You seem to be XBox fanboy and it might might give you warm feelings towards Microsoft. That's fine. MS sure did a lot of cool stuff for Xbox, even with stumbles here and there. But Microsoft hasn't done anything to earn this sort of good will from pcgamers, so the fact that you seem to be baffled by pcgamers' scepticism is bizzare

KonradLaw

Well, you can trust those games will be dead on arrival multiplayer-wise though, at least PC-only ones. Hard to get excited about games that will be pretty much non-functional few weeks after launch.

The fact is if Obsidian was bought out by Sony or Nintendo you wouldn't be getting shit on the PC. You guys also keep ignoring that maybe they need financial stability,but again it's much easier to act like Michael Pachter Jr in the forums thinking they know better than the developer.
Why the hell do you keep bringing up Sony? Microsoft owns Windows. They have a vested interest in Windows' success (and they continue to fail miserably in turning that into a part of their service model). Apples to oranges. I'm not a fan of Sony or their business practices either. I don't care about Sony. They're irrelevant to the discussion and they're irrelevant to me personally. Also I don't get why you keep bringing up the business-end of things as if that is something I'm supposed to be inconvenienced by as a customer. Their financial stability is not my problem and I say that as a backer of two of their crowdfunded games. I know what's best for me as a customer and based on 25 years of Microsoft's history, it's definitely not a Microsoft acquisition.

Last edited:

HanyBak

Neo Member
If it will lead to awesome new games coming out, I'm quiet happy with it. Not that anyone at ms would ask for my opinion:pie_gsquint:

I'm not giving Sony benefit of the doubt, since they're not in PC gaming anymore. But if they ever get back it would be natural to give them benefit of the doubt, since they did pretty damn well on PC.
Microsoft on the other hand hasn't done well for PC in last decade. So exactly why would we give it benefit of the doubt? You seem to be XBox fanboy and it might might give you warm feelings towards Microsoft. That's fine. MS sure did a lot of cool stuff for Xbox, even with stumbles here and there. But Microsoft hasn't done anything to earn this sort of good will from pcgamers, so the fact that you seem to be baffled by pcgamers' scepticism is bizzare

I can now play Xbox titles on the PC and not be locked to 30fps on consoles. It's one of the reasons I got away from console gaming. All the hidden fees and restrictions. Like I said, things would be worse if Sony or Nintendo gobbled them up, then I'd only have one platform to play them on.

But again none of you look at this from the actual developers point of view, maybe they want to be bought so they don't have to struggle funding projects. They know better than me and you what's best for them.

There are thousands of games out there yet people bitch about how terrible things are or might be. It's hilarious how much drama unfolds on the forums.

Edit
https://worthplaying.com/article/2018/8/20/news/110509/

5 of their titles are going to Steam, there you go.

Last edited:
I think it would be a good fit, especially if Obsidian is having the same issues as Ninja Theory with money. I’d rather them get bought then have them go under.
Ninja theory does better without being able to burn through cash, the problem is their heads get too big with "ambitious ideas" that never pan out, they're still not good at basic game mechanics.

Obsidian might have the same problem in that they're piss-poor at actual gameplay executions. MS might get a game out of them but if things get delayed MS has no problem shuttering studios.

Bernkastel

Well, you can trust those games will be dead on arrival multiplayer-wise though, at least PC-only ones. Hard to get excited about games that will be pretty much non-functional few weeks after launch.
So, there is no point of Xbox One because they put their games on PC, but there is no point of Windows Store because it sucks ? You can't have it both you. I still don't get how they are destroying PC gaming, since all they put on Windows Store is their own games.
Also Windows Store has improved a lot since it's inception, it's not like they hate PC gaming.

So, there is no point of Xbox One because they put their games on PC, but there is no point of Windows Store because it sucks ? You can't have it both you. I still don't get how they are destroying PC gaming, since all they put on Windows Store is their own games.
Also Windows Store has improved a lot since it's inception, it's not like they hate PC gaming.

Lol. Well said. I hope we see MS make more acquisitions soon. We need a healthy mix of new studios built around some of the best talent in the industry and some great acquisitions :)

Foxbat

Banned
Why the hell do you keep bringing up Sony? Microsoft owns Windows. They have a vested interest in Windows' success (and they continue to fail miserably in turning that into a part of their service model). Apples to oranges. I'm not a fan of Sony or their business practices either. I don't care about Sony. They're irrelevant to the discussion and they're irrelevant to me personally. Also I don't get why you keep bringing up the business-end of things as if that is something I'm supposed to be inconvenienced by as a customer. Their financial stability is not my problem and I say that as a backer of two of their crowdfunded games. I know what's best for me as a customer and based on 25 years of Microsoft's history, it's definitely not a Microsoft acquisition.
And how am I wrong? Because I forgot to throw Tomb Raider's year long exclusivity and Minecraft in there and some indie platformers they threw a couple hundred grand at to buy exclusivity deals, including Super Lucky's Tale, a game many fans of the first game can't play now? Don't forget Swery's game which wasn't a success until Microsoft didn't give a shit about exclusivity anymore and it made it's way to PC? It's no secret that Xbox users aren't buying Japanese games outside of Dark Souls and Final Fantasy. Go look at the last ten years of their lineup, army guys with chainsaws on their guns, space marines, racing, cancelled Japanese RPG, space marines, army guys with chainsaws on their guns, throw in 5 years of Kinect shovelware and back to the same old same old.

Also where did the Sony stuff come from? You're the one bringing them up. I'm not invested in console wars. I'm against gated ecosystems. The only reason I care is because Microsoft has a habit of acquiring studios instead of building their own and there's talk of acquiring Japanese studios (which again, Xbox users haven't supported worth a damn, IPs potentially going along with it) and one of the few studios still making role playing games with more depth than the depth of a puddle and for a variety of reasons, I couldn't think of a less fitting acquisition if I sat down and gave it more thought than it's worth.

I genuinely hope you're a stockholder or Bill Gates' son or something because I can't imagine what kind of thought process leads to advocating for a mega corporations acquiring studios left and right. At least if money was involved, I'd understand.

Your views on things are a bit hypocritical don't you think?

Xbox gamers haven't supported Japanese games worth a damn, therefore MS shouldn't aquire any Japanese based dev studios. Xbox doesn't deserve to have Japanese games. Seems fair enough...

PC players haven't supported Obsidian games worth a damn, or they wouldn't be in the financial situation they are. According to your logic, PC doesn't deserve to have Obsidians games there anymore, because PC players haven't supported them.

And yet if MS aquires them..... You'll still get their games on PC.... And you're still complaining.

Your hatred of MS has blinded you.

Your views on things are a bit hypocritical don't you think?

Xbox gamers haven't supported Japanese games worth a damn, therefore MS shouldn't aquire any Japanese based dev studios. Xbox doesn't deserve to have Japanese games. Seems fair enough...

PC players haven't supported Obsidian games worth a damn, or they wouldn't be in the financial situation they are. According to your logic, PC doesn't deserve to have Obsidians games there anymore, because PC players haven't supported them.

Your hatred of MS has blinded you.

Haven't supported them worth a damn? What world do you live in? Their core cRPG audience on PC crowdfunded their project in the millions and it sold millions so that's total bullshit.... And that's counting Steam users alone. Across retail and competing services like GOG, it's even higher.
http://steamspy.com/dev/Obsidian+Entertainment

And yet if MS aquires them..... You'll still get their games on PC.... And you're still complaining.
I'll get their consolized, unmoddable Xbox Play Anywhere titles on the worst and most broken digital storefront on Windows hands down... Assuming it even lets me click the install button after purchasing (oh yeah, that's a problem, have I mentioned that?). Great. I'm excited. Really.

AlanAwake

That's not exactly true. Microsoft is making deals with other devs and publishers to get their games in the Winstore as well. And they are paying popular PC devs (Creative Assembly, Relic) to develop Winstore exclusive games.

Anyway, as Alexander already explained, it's the locked down nature of the Windows Store that causes distrust.

Microsoft is still selling games as encrypted apps that can't be modded, tweaked or improved without the aid and permission of Microsoft and the dev. Prices in Europe are still insane, Winstore games are €10-€20 more expensive than on Steam. Having to switch to the Xbox App all the time sucks. And many people are still having issues with installing and running UWP games.

The Windows Store may be improved a bit, but it's still a huge mess that most PC gamers don't want to use.

Bernkastel

That's not exactly true. Microsoft is making deals with other devs and publishers to get their games in the Winstore as well. And they are paying popular PC devs (Creative Assembly, Relic) to develop Winstore exclusive games.

Anyway, as Alexander already explained, it's the locked down nature of the Windows Store that causes distrust.
Please, tell me what 3rd Publisher has put their game in Microsoft Store exclusively ?
Also, you are mentioning Creative Assembly and Relic, are you saying Microsoft does not have right to make their own 2nd Party games ? Halo Wars and Age of Empires are owned by Microsoft and they have as much right to put it exclusively in Microsoft Store as Blizzard has to put their games on Battle.net. They have been put some of these in Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2148/Microsoft_RTS_Collection/
I still dont get how Microsoft Store is causing distrust.

Bernkastel

I'll get their consolized, unmoddable Xbox Play Anywhere titles on the worst and most broken digital storefront on Windows hands down... Assuming it even lets me click the install button after purchasing (oh yeah, that's a problem, have I mentioned that?). Great. I'm excited. Really.
You are exaggerating, the first think I did on my new laptop was to download uBlock Origin for Microsoft Edge from the Microsoft Store and I didnt have any problems. I also successfully installed Phantom Dust from the Microsoft Store on my laptop.

You don't understand how selling PC games as locked down apps, in a broken store and with a ridiculous €70 pricetag, is causing distrust? I guess you're not a PC gamer, right?

It's hilarious the scenario we are in. Before games like Forza Horizon were not even on the PC, now they are. So if you are not interested in buying games on consoles or console games that are now on Windows Store or Fallout 76 because or Destiny 2 or Call of Duty then continue to buy all your purchases on Steam and GOG. That's your choice. However I bet most of these people complaining do in fact buy console games on Switch or the PS4 and most of this banter is just agenda based.

Hudo

You don't understand how selling PC games as locked down apps, in a broken store and with a ridiculous €70 pricetag, is causing distrust? I guess you're not a PC gamer, right?
But aren't my Steam games also tied to Steam and my Steam account? (real question, haven't used Steam for a long time. I'm more of a GoG user).

Mattyp

Gold Member

Are you talking about Steam or Windows store? They are exactly the same thing. If you want to blame different companies for wanting THEIR own products in THEIR own store blame Valve. Nearly every developer is about to start doing this if they aren't already I find it absolutely hilarious PC gamers whinged about never getting games now they get every xbox exclusive we'll that's not good enough because its not on Steam. How's Fortnite just as an example going on steam right now?

My face when Microsoft finally announce this purchase.

giphy.gif

Redshirt

Banned
I think he's referring to Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform.

Those apps can only be sold through the Windows store, which is presumably a big reason why many third parties don't sell games there.

The Windows store is much better now, but yeah I'd never choose it over Steam the same way I'd rarely choose Steam over GOG.

Last edited:
Top Bottom