• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Twisted Metal Details Massive Change For Franchise

Kuranghi

Yes the narrative was always the main attraction with Twisted Metal games *bursts out laughing*

PS VR2 support is cool though. It needs to be arcadey as hell not more realistic, make it like Mad Max' car combat where it feels weighty and you can't just power to max speed in one second but with better transitions from constrained physics to full "car-ragdoll".

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Game will be about MC teaching his kid how to drive and avoid the daily manics that drive in the streets.

Lisa Simpson Episode 24 GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Third person walking simulator?

Let's goooo!

I joke.

I really enjoyed the franchise back in the day, so welcome whatever they come up with. Will give it a go.
I wouldn't be surprised if it has third person elements and battle arena vehicle combat that people like the franchise for the in main story mode (Mad Max esque?) Might help the game appeal to a lot more people.

& Obviously online multiplayer.

Last edited:
Last one was a pretty big shift in how the SP was designed, too. But it was still incredible (except the servers that they never fixed).

LOL @ dialogue choices though.

Nautilus

Banned
Why every Sony game now needs to be narrative-heavy? What part of the Twisted Metal franchise made the devs go "Oh yeah, this needs dialogue choices"?

I love story heavy games, and I don't think its the dialogue choice part that will make or break this game, but Sony needs to start diversifying their games more. More than half their games now are narrative heavy( Not that story heavy means that the story is good, mind you) and that overload of one specific trait tends to burn out consumers in the long run.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Eh I don't mind if it has more in depth story while trying to win the contest. Choosing dialogue seems interesting if it effects what course you go on next or who you fight. Will have to see what is actually implemented.

ToadMan

There’s the Twisted Metal live action series in the offing - tie up with this?

I guess its worked well for TLoU but that’s been an outlier.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
'The focus is expected to be on narrative and even dialogue choices'

Why? I want 100% action like TM2 and not another walk and talk game.

Last edited:

DosGamer

Twisted Metal 1 - Groundbreaking car combat game with those beautiful PS1 fire graphics. You could also run over santa clause.....
Twisted Metal 2 - The peak of the series in terms of overall fun
Twisted Metal 3 - Something was off with the formula and handling
Twisted Metal 4 - Was there one? Shows how much of an impact it had.
Twisted Metal Black - Brought the game back with a more serious tone, but some of that old feeling. A great attempt for sure.

Rogue Trip (I think was the name) it was like twisted metal with a funky soundtrack
There was also an underwater PS1 Twisted metal type game that was pretty cool, but would look and play much better with todays graphics... back in the day the underwater stuff was all over the place.

TidusYuna

At this point, we know that Sony is coupling some of their video game franchises with Movies/TV shows. So if you look at their upcoming shows and films, it may tell you about their upcoming unannounced games.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls066754715/
They are making a Kraven the Hunter movie and we already know Kraven will be in Spiderman 2 from the voice we've heard in the Spiderman 2 video game reveal. They are also Making a Metal Gear Solid Movie, One Punch Man Movie, Robotech, Masters of the Universe(He-man), Ghosts of Tsushima movie, Starship Troopers, Untitled Sony/marvel Project (so maybe another marvel game from Sony), etc.

https://www.eurogamer.net/sony-has-more-than-10-film-and-tv-projects-in-the-works-so-whats-next
Also Eurogamer points out Sony is working on: Days Gone movie, Jak and Daxter movie, and Gravity Rush movie. Love hearing Sony is doing something with these franchises which I hope to see another game with some day.

Last edited:

SilentUser

Used to be a big fan of Twisted Metal on PS1, had some of my bet time with the console while playing with a friend. Hopefully, somehow, this new title will bring back some of that fun.

Being PSVR2 compatible is already a great start 🥰

Perrott

Gold Member
A reminder that this new game is being helmed by key MotorStorm and DriveClub creatives working at a studio established by Psygnosis (Wipeout series) veterans. Not only that, but we're talking about an UK studio, yes, the country with the historically most vibrant scene of racing videogame development. So whatever direction they decide to take this new Twisted Metal in, I'm damn sure it will make for a kick-ass revival of the series.

Also, to all the people complaining about the changes that the new entry is bringing to the formula, what were you all fucking expecting? Anyone who thought they were gonna get the classic deathmatch-based Twisted Metal of old just as it was back in the days but with the latest graphics was flat-out stupid in believing that such a game concept could have any place in today's industry, especially with the budget required to get a AAA PS5 game off the ground.

A bigger focus on narrative? That sounds great, as the main appeal of the series has always been its depraved cast of characters. Give us Twisted Metal: Black on acid: a much darker game starring a bunch of broken psychopaths with a serious, borderline horror-ish tone and themes.

And regarding the alleged dialogue and choice systems, well, let me remind you of the Japanese version of PS1's Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere, a game structurally very similar to Twisted Metal, featured a branching storyline impacted by decisions made by the players during missions - something that in the context of Twisted Metal seems like a good design call to make, as it could bring loads of replayability to the story.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Other job listings have gone on to suggest on-foot combat as well.
That one PS+ game had you get out of the car also. Destruction All Stars. If those guys are still working on it, I'd imagine they can built out from that base game.

And honestly, that game's failure kind of proves Sony's point. It was all action with no real story and everyone hated it. Maybe they're making the right call here.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
That one PS+ game had you get out of the car also. Destruction All Stars. If those guys are still working on it, I'd imagine they can built out from that base game.

And honestly, that game's failure kind of proves Sony's point. It was all action with no real story and everyone hated it. Maybe they're making the right call here.
Yeah, and by the way, here I found a screenshot of that job listing I was referencing:
What's worrying to me about this recent wave of Twisted Metal job listings is that they're all talking about a game "early [in] development", which comes to me as a surprise considering how I thought they were aiming for a 2023 release to go alongside with the show. Also because when Sony divulged their initial live-services release schedule in the spring of 2022, there were two unannounced games slated to come out this FY (Helldivers 2 and Firewall Ultra) plus three more to come in the upcoming FY, between April 2023 and March 2024 - two of which I assumed to be The Last Of Us: Factions and Firewalk Studio's new shooter IP, with Twisted Metal being the third. Now I don't know what to think regarding Twisted Metal's release window. :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah, and by the way, here I found a screenshot of that job listing I was referencing:

What's worrying to me about this recent wave of Twisted Metal job listings is that they're all talking about a game "early [in] development", which comes to me as a surprise considering how I thought they were aiming for a 2023 release to go alongside with the show (also because when Sony divulged their initial live-services release schedule in the spring of 2022, there were two unannounced games slated to come out this FY - Helldivers 2 and Firewall Ultra - plus three more to come in the upcoming FY, between April 2023 and March 2024; two of which I assumed to be Factions and Firewalk Studio's new shooter IP, with Twisted Metal being the third. :pie_thinking:
I vaguely remember hearing something about them having to reboot this game, but I could be mistaken. They haven't announced or teased this at all, so I wasn't expecting 2023. But who knows.

nikos

Maybe you play as your own character and previous ones exist in the world as NPCs/quest givers/bosses/whatever.

It's a day one no matter what, just hope it ends up being good.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
If there is a third person shot of sweet tooth looking over a mountain range in a forest I’ll die of laughing

Lunarorbit

I haven't played a twisted metal since 2 but the story/background was pretty intrical to each character. Not that it made a difference in game play but the fleshed out characters definitely heightened the experience

The only Twisted Metal game I ever had fun with was the original one and that’s because it was just that original and it was early PlayStation days pickings weren’t like they are today. It was a blast with split screen.

Honestly this should be a reboot of the original. Keep it simple and clean and through out the years update it with new modes and what not.

Pilgrimzero

The first game me and my new roomates every played in our fresh away from home apartment was Twist Metal. We had no furniture but we had a TV and a Playstation and Twisted Metal.

A reminder that this new game is being helmed by key MotorStorm and DriveClub creatives working at a studio established by Psygnosis (Wipeout series) veterans. Not only that, but we're talking about an UK studio, yes, the country with the historically most vibrant scene of racing videogame development. So whatever direction they decide to take this new Twisted Metal in, I'm damn sure it will make for a kick-ass revival of the series.

Also, to all the people complaining about the changes that the new entry is bring to the formula, what were you all fucking expecting? Anyone who thought they were gonna get the classic deathmatch-based Twisted Metal of old just as it was back in the days but with the latest graphics was flat-out stupid in believing that such a game concept could have any place in today's industry, especially with the budget required to get a AAA PS5 game off the ground.

A bigger focus on narrative? That sounds great, as the main appeal of the series has always been its depraved cast of characters. Give us Twisted Metal: Black on acid: a much darker game starring a bunch of broken psychopaths with a serious, borderline horror-ish tone and themes.

And regarding the alleged dialogue and choice systems, well, let me remind you of the Japanese version of PS1's Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere, a game structurally very similar to Twisted Metal, featured a branching storyline impacted by decisions made by the players during missions - something that in the context of Twisted Metal seems like a good design call to make, as it could bring loads of replayability to the story.

Didn't like most of the team move to Codemasters after Driveclub?

Top Bottom