• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo Switch 2 is being revealed in June. A General Direct is scheduled for April

Draugoth

Gold Member
tR8hG7DyrKphyBC3SH_vy-transformed.jpg

Brazillian journalist PH Brazil who was the first to break the news on the Switch 2 delay says Nintendo is planning a direct for April ( unsure on if it's a mini ) and a indie world in March. Also believes the Switch 2 will be revealed in June.

Source

NecroFelipe has also has heard the April direct is a general.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I'd imagine that could mean a significant price cut ($100?) to the Switch, to clear out stocks over Christmas.

Plenty of people still out there who would buy a cheap Switch even knowing a new, but probably more expensive model was coming soon in the new year.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
June is not very far away, people will hold onto their switches and decide to simply upgrade if the switch 2 is worth it.

Comandr

Would be really surprised if it was announced that far from release. That would be like 9 months early. Feels like it would also DESTROY Switch momentum during the holidays.

Add an achievement system to your games this upcoming gen. Simply unacceptable and laziness if they don't.
Honestly? This. Achievements always encourage me to go the distance or try different gameplay elements I might not normally do.

Most recent example: I was not going to make the effort to do all the drink links with Zhao or Han Joongi in yakuza 8 but I wanted the achievements. I made the effort and turns out I actually enjoyed their stories more than I thought I would. Glad I did it.

If this were a Nintendo game I would have 200% definitely not made the effort because there would be no material reward for doing so.

Incentivizing players to explore your game thoroughly shouldn’t not be looked upon as a bad thing. I don’t know why Nintendo is so against achievements.

The fact that Mario Wonder features Medals for completing certain milestones is at least some evidence that Nintendo finds merit in rewarding player efforts.

Reactions: Isa

MAtgS

Add an achievement system to your games this upcoming gen. Simply unacceptable and laziness if they don't.
It's certainly weird they haven't, when 1 of their stated mission objectives pre-Switch launch was wanting players to play their games for longer.

schaft0620

I am sure it was June before the delay. No way Nintendo is going to have a 9 to 10 month marking cycle. Much closer to 6-9. Maybe Geoff gets them to show the device at Gamescom.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
If they match the original Switch announce/release cadence, in which the Switch was officially announced/reveal in October of 2016 and released in March of 2017, a June 2024 reveal of the Switch 2 would mean a November 2024 release.

Who knows though, especially with the leaks of a delay to 2025.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just hope the Switch 2’s delay is because some aspect of it (hardware, flagship games, firmware, back compat) isn’t done baking yet, and they need more time to make it a powerful and compelling launch. We’ll never know as much, but if Nintendo is pushing it to 2025 just to squeeze out a few more sales of the OG Switch, that’s some ole bulllllshit.

mystech

If Metroid Prime 4 doesn’t show up in April, I think it’s safe to assume we will see it in June for Switch 2 (although I’m still thinking it may be cross platform).

Personally I’d like to see Prime 2 and 3 get the same remake treatment (maybe bundled). The rumored remakes of Oracle of time / seasons along with a port of Wind Waker HD would be nice as well. There’s a lot of room for decent smaller releases to round out the Switch life and keep momentum through 2024. Especially if there’s a chance the games can be enhanced when played on Switch 2.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
If it doesn't release this year, why reveal it in June? they can reveal it in October like they did Switch and release Switch 2 in March. sounds weird.

Cyberpunkd

If it doesn't release this year, why reveal it in June? they can reveal it in October like they did Switch and release Switch 2 in March. sounds weird.
Because they would want people to avoid buying PS5 Pro and save for Switch 2 instead.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Rumors are a fucking industry at this point. Barely time for one to be disproven before the next one springs up.

If this thing turns up to be something way different than the Switch, people will riot.

DonF

I quite like the first image at the start of this thread.
me too but the other day I had an epiphany when my baby grabbed my switch, pulled the little stand then dropped the thing on the floor and nothing happened.

nintendo designs this things for kids. So no, we will never have a sleek looking console. We will have plastic, big bezels and chunky soft edges, cause this are children toys.

JordiENP

I'd imagine that could mean a significant price cut ($100?) to the Switch, to clear out stocks over Christmas.

Plenty of people still out there who would buy a cheap Switch even knowing a new, but probably more expensive model was coming soon in the new year.
That or a nice bundle with 3 digital games to keep the price up

Regardless of the delay to 2025 or not, a March reveal never made any sense to me. Seemed way too early. Why dry up Switch sales when you don’t need to? 3-4 months notice would be plenty.

If 2025 launch is now the plan, honestly they don’t need to announce it until January.

Astral Dog

If Metroid Prime 4 doesn’t show up in April, I think it’s safe to assume we will see it in June for Switch 2 (although I’m still thinking it may be cross platform).

Personally I’d like to see Prime 2 and 3 get the same remake treatment (maybe bundled). The rumored remakes of Oracle of time / seasons along with a port of Wind Waker HD would be nice as well. There’s a lot of room for decent smaller releases to round out the Switch life and keep momentum through 2024. Especially if there’s a chance the games can be enhanced when played on Switch 2.
There is an 'insider' claiming a marketing campaing for Metroid will start on may, i guess we will see if Prime 4 is finally revealed on April

I don't doubt Prime 2 and 3 will get the remaster treatment, after how well Prime 1 remaster was recieved but they will be separate releases the bundle rumor never made any sense, if Nintendo wants to bring the Metroid Prime brand back in a big way

Last edited:

Raven77

Most people simply don't understand the long game that Nintendo has been playing since the late 90s. When the N64 was announced, it was shown to be one of the most graphically powerful consoles of all time. This was move number 1 in a game of 5-D chess that Nintendo is playing that all the other console manufacturers haven't even realized they're playing.

The N64 was a ruse, a trick that Nintendo played on the industry. Get the other console manufacturers focused on console power levels, a near -zero sum game where everyone will chase photo realism, something contrary to Nintendo's style and image. That's why the N64 has the smallest game library of any successful console. It was a head fake.

Then, Nintendo brilliantly moves the other direction, focusing on innovation. All the while retaining their accessible family friendly image.

Think of it this way. Nintendo and Sega had the two most popular restaurants in the world serving family friendly delicious offerings. Then Nintendo gets the brilliant idea to convince others in the industry - and looking to enter it - that all people really want is five star high-end sushi and French fare.

What happened next? Microsoft enters the picture, and everyone was focused on the high-end dining experience - meanwhile Nintendo reveals that their high-end dining experience was really just a food truck. They simply went back to their restaurant and continued to do what they do best.

The others in the industry haven't even realized that Nintendo is not in the game anymore. Nintendo created the fake game of chasing high-end graphics, realizing it would lead to profit losses. They tricked the entire industry and havee been laughing all the way to the bank for 20 plus years.

11 billion in cash and no debt.

My compliments to the chef.

season 3 race GIF

Last edited:

scydrex

If Nintendo doesn't release the switch 2 for $400 or less doubt they will do it. Maybe $50... don't think the swtich 2 will cost $300 or $350.

tR8hG7DyrKphyBC3SH_vy-transformed.jpg

Brazillian journalist PH Brazil who was the first to break the news on the Switch 2 delay says Nintendo is planning a direct for April ( unsure on if it's a mini ) and a indie world in March. Also believes the Switch 2 will be revealed in June.

Source

NecroFelipe has also has heard the April direct is a general.
People should just be careful what they wish for. An April general direct means we don't get another one til *maybe September, and that's pushing it for Switch's last year as their main platform. If we get another Switch-only Direct this year, past the one we are possibly getting in April, it'll be the very last one, and it'll likely be very soft on heavy-hitters. Outside of some already-planned titles on their internal schedule for first-party, Nintendo is holding all of their big guns for the new system's launch year in 2025.

This is just conjecture, based on precedent and how things are going so far this year, but if Nintendo is airing a Partner Showcase tomorrow for the first half of 2024, that means they deliberately chose to hold off on announcing any first-party Switch dates or software announcements past Peach in March. Which means an April Direct is unlikely to be a big general Direct, because Directs are typically 50/50 split between first & third-party.

Last edited:
Top Bottom