• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nvidia adopting AMD's GPU strategy next year, massive die to return in '13?

JudgeN

I have so much rage built up inside of me over these rumor. 1.5 GB ram WTF? 250watts WTF? June-December 2012 release date on a high end card WTF? More god damn heat WTF?

All I wanted to do was replace my GTX 470 with something that would run cooler and be alot more powerful. Why Nvidia gotta make me wait soooooo damn long. Going to have a heart attack.

Xavien

You can never have too solid of a power supply. If anything, it will just insure that your system gets strong, steady, clean power - which is exactly what's best for it.

Definitely, if buy a cheap power supply you could be replacing several components a year down the line.

I'll be waiting for GTX690 (2 of them), two 580s is more than enough for me right now, perhaps with a 512-bit interface we'll get normal amounts of RAM instead of 1.5GB or 768MB.

dr_rus

I have so much rage built up inside of me over these rumor. 1.5 GB ram WTF? 250watts WTF? June-December 2012 release date on a high end card WTF? More god damn heat WTF?

All I wanted to do was replace my GTX 470 with something that would run cooler and be alot more powerful. Why Nvidia gotta make me wait soooooo damn long. Going to have a heart attack.
This rumour is false. You'll get an option to upgrade your 470 pretty soon.

Jarmel

Banned
This was already posted but got lost in the PC thread. This is quite a shocking turn of events if true, besides VR-Zone is credible when they post Nvidia related rumors.

Cliffnotes of this rumored roadmap;

GTX690
Massive die with 512-bit memory interface
Dec '12 - Jan '13 release

GTX680
2 x GTX670 chips ala GTX590
Launch after GTX670

GTX670
Juneish release
30% faster than GTX580
Consumes more than 250W
384-bit memory interface

GTX660
May release
256-bit memory interface

Ugh no early update? Looks like I'm getting another AMD GPU. Damn it.

The massive die in 2013 would be Maxwell, right ?

I read it as maybe 2 cores combined of the same tech, with the GPUs fused together with the fat bus. I think Maxwell is 22nm and not until 2014.

Not that there were indications it was the choice, but Kepler's power consumption sounds high to be used in PS4.

You're going to turn your computer on and it's going to sound like a Proton Pack charging.

Fuck yeah.

I just don't see it being true though. NVidia has been working on Kepler for over a year now, and recently they finished taping it out and I know prototypes are already out in the wild... so I see March-May being more likely for Kepler.

artist

Banned

Are you kidding me? Get a GTX560 and quit whining.

It could also be a trade off of not much competition from AMD? With AMD moving to a new architecture next generation, Nvidia might feel comfortable with a 30% increase over the 580. AMD will need over 50% improvement on the 6970 and that would be a big feat.

5870(40nm) was over 70% faster than the HD4870(55nm), even faster now than the HD4870X2, with the same power consumption. So it's totally reasonable for the HD7970 to be as fast or faster than the high-end nvidia gpu(but 6-8months earlier).

30% over a 580 with a die shrink and "new arq" of kepler? That's dissapointing, specially with that 250w+ tag.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I actually consider my SLI 580 setup weak for the kind of experience I want. This rumor doesn't bode well with me.

You ain't happy with your 580 sli?

I don't think anybody in this spectrum is ever happy. Personally, I consider my setup always a notch under what I personally wish I had. I cannot play BF3 on Ultra @ constant 60fps, and that's what I want now, and my 580 SLI cannot deliver that (the fps drops). So yep, not happy. I am thinking about adding a third card if this rumor gets confirmed. It will be enough to hold me for the 6 months before something that can kick BF3 in the but gets released.

Jtrizzy

Yeah I wish my 580 had more VRAM. Game crashes at times with everything on ultra/maxed/1920x1080. I also get some crashes in Crysis 2 with everything on ultra/DX11 texture packs etc I also have a 1000 watt power supply, but I went over board on a lot my parts.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Will wait for none-reference cards with 2GB+ and even then ill only buy in if they totally destroy GTX570s

Its always exciting hearing about new graphics cards....this means we will get more tech demos.....and i like tech demos.
I am curious just how powerful the GK112 will be.

Top Bottom