• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Playstation's Gravity Rush Movie seems to still be in development and featured in the latest advertisement

Gravity Rush's Kat scarf seems to be featured in the latest Playstation Production advertisement, which might hint that the upcoming movie is still in development.It does match up with the latest leak from one of the Gravity Rush discord server, who said that the movie director is supposedly looking for the actor casting and the script is mostly
image.png

If the movie does release, then I hope we will get a GR2 remaster of some sort, since Sony always release something alongside their PS Productions.

Edit:

A mention of Gravity Rush 2 was found by a Discord user on the "Play the games"
image.png

Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme 👀

Yes Sony, please keep wasting your resources on creating and advertising video game adaption films. I am sure everyone is ecstatic too see them and they will make millions. /s

For fucks sake, can you please start announcing some interesting first party titles instead? Don't get me wrong DS2 and Wolverine look sick but it's been forever. Where the fuck is the next big thing from Naughty Dog or something?

I dislike the new Sony leadership. I miss Shawn Layden and Andrew House. Sorry, I loved Sony in the previous era. But for the last 2 week it's been nothing but shitty movie talks. I am here to play games not watch films.

Apologize for the rant, but I had to get it out.

I never played Gravity Rush, heard it was a good series, but does it really need a film?

Last edited:

CamHostage

I'm so-so on the Gravity Rush franchise (it seems like it'd be right up my alley but the first game didn't grab me and I don't own the second one, it's one of those some-day games I'd like to give another chance one day,) but I always thought it had fascinating potential... it would be amazing if what finally broke Gravity Rush big was some kind of movie adaptation, coming in during its darkest days where the creatives behind it is no longer with Sony and the goodwill of Japanese game production supported by PlayStation is frustratingly in question...

Still, I can kind of see it working, if they had a great concept for a film and pitched it to the right audience. It feels like an idea that should work, in some medium, and if a movie worked then maybe the games situation might sort itself out too. (Different circumstances, but we'll see if the Twisted Metal TV popularity has any bearing on the TM games...)

BTW, the original Gravity Daze 2 "Gravity Cat" short film is a fantastic watch.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Yes Sony, please keep wasting your resources on creating and advertising video game adaption films. I am sure everyone is ecstatic too see them and they will make millions. /s

For fucks sake, can you please start announcing some interesting first party titles instead?

It's not the same Sony. The guys making Gran Turismo: The Movie aren't the ones cranking out GT7 content. Not the same people, not the same budget to pull from, not the same marketing plan or target audience, not the same anything besides that Kenichiro Yoshida is somehow responsible for their paychecks.

Last edited:
It's not the same Sony. The guys making Gran Turismo: The Movie aren't the ones cranking out GT7 content.
Wasn't the GT 7 movie atrocious with awful reviews? And who's bright idea was it to make a film.baaed on a racing franchise?

Yeah it night be different division at Sony, but resources are still being spent :/ when they could have been spent somewhere far more productive imo.

Last edited:

TheTony316

Wasn't the GT 7 movie atrocious with awful reviews? And who's bright idea was it to make a film.baaed on a racing franchise?

Yeah it night be different division at Sony, but resources are still being spent :/ when they could have been spent somewhere far more productive imo.

The critic scores are average at best but the user reviews on rotten tomatoes are very positive.

CamHostage

Nope, there is no GT7 movie. They've only made the 1, and maybe they'll make more but probably not six more...

Oh no, wait, I'm wrong, there IS a GT7 movie!

Anyways... the resources of the Gran Turismo movie come from PlayStation Productions, the same licensing group that brought together Twisted Metal: The Series and Uncharted: The Movie. PS Productions have resources to spend from Papa Sony because their products have been making money. Even the atrocious movie you haven't seen yet is on track to do alright internationally (albeit the marketing budget has not been cheap.)

Only The Last of Us: The Series (another hit) took any resources away from the game development process, as Neil Druckmann personally involved himself in the adaptation. (Did that delay anything at Naughty Dog as they worked to make their multiplayer game? Not sure how much he would have been involved, but the success has raised Naughty Dog's profile even higher and that may help as they invest serious resources and schedules into their work after Factions, be it TLoU3 or something new.) Everything else is productivity coming from people wholly uninvolved from the game development side of things.

The reason Sony isn't cranking out games like it used to isn't because they're busy making Peacock shows and Tom Holland movies; it's because the game market has changed dramatically and the price and length of game development has kept going up, and nobody is making games in great volumes anymore; everything has to be a big hit and most things have to have a backend revenue stream beyond selling the game itself, because games just don't sell the way they used to and moneymen aren't happy anymore with games making "just" millions of dollars in the billion-dollar business. In the meantime, if you can make a few bucks licensing out your brands to a sister studio in the corporation and they're going to do a relatively accomplished job adapting the concept (give or take some awful reviews...), go get them dollars.

Gravity Rush: The Movie would I assume not involve any of the game design talent (if it exists...), and it wouldn't matter to PlayStation's resources anyway since those people don't work for Sony anymore. It might not even employ anybody from the Japanese side of PlayStation's operations, since that's just how these things go sometimes. The movie side of the company is interested in this brand (or is rumored to be interested) only for what they think they can do with it in another medium; the games have already had their chance, and GR is unlikely to get new resources put into its game side again (unless this movie miraculously resurrected the brand...)

Last edited:

CamHostage

BTW, Gravity Rush already has been adapted once in another medium; there was a short anime OVA produced by Studio Khara. It was kind of a GR Remastered / GR2 commercial product, bridging the story between the games, and it was a generally faithful / in-line side-project which I don't think ever had aspirations to stand on its own and continue as an animated series.

Larxia

Please please please use this opportunity to release PC ports (and ps5 patch for console players at the same time) 🙏
I would absolutely love to play these games, my most wanted sony pc port.

I dislike the games, basically anything beyond the core premise is just bad, but with writers that are actual grown ups the gravity stuff of GR could be a fine template for a movie. It could be a visually stunning experience at the very least. Just needs a proper plot and not some 40year olds males pretending to be funny teenagers at the helm.

Ar¢tos

Where Sony Pictures spends their resources has nothing to do with Sony Playstation.
If they aren't making mediocre movies based on Sony games, they will be doing mediocre movies about something else.
In the end it has absolutely zero impact on Playstation 1st party studios budget, available resources and output.

Last edited:
I dislike the new Sony leadership. I miss Shawn Layden and Andrew House. Sorry, I loved Sony in the previous era. But for the last 2 week it's been nothing but shitty movie talks. I am here to play games not watch films.
Spot on, pretty much my sentiments as well. Not that big on current Sony but PS4 era Sony? Was pretty great in retrospect...from the game variety, to the OS on the PS4, and other stuff...I was happy to be a PS4 gamer overall.
I never played Gravity Rush, heard it was a good series, but does it really need a film?
It's a good series that works great as a game. For film, if anything, should be CGI or even drawn...but we know that ain't gonna happen.

For fucks sake, can you please start announcing some interesting first party titles instead? Don't get me wrong DS2 and Wolverine look sick but it's been forever. Where the fuck is the next big thing from Naughty Dog or something?

Gravity rush was OK. Gameplay was very repetitive and very old school.

Topher

Gold Member

Gravity Rush makes a hell of a lot sense as a movie than Gran Turismo.....that's for sure.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I guess I'd take a Gravity Rush 3 from Asobo, but that would certainly be an odd decision after closing down Japan Studio and letting the director of the first 2 games leave. I don't expect anything else, but I would like to be surprised I guess. My all time favorite Sony 1st party series.

Last edited:

Unknown?

You want Sony Pictures to make games? How about Sony Music making posters?

Layden and House sat on their ass and shut studios down while not investing in new studios. The lull you're experiencing is due to them.

Had Jim been in charge in 2016, they would have bought the rights to Crash from Activision and we'd have a remake and proper sequel instead of Crash 4...

Last edited:

Gojiira

I don’t think live action can capture charming personality of Kat. Basically same problem with One Piece live action, there are IPs that just don’t fit in live action.
Sony did make a animated R&C movie, no reason to think GR or Medievil will be any different. Just look at the success they had with the Spiderverse movies.

JaksGhost

Oh you're one of those bright thinkers that thinks Sony Corporation only makes video games huh? Also if you're hating SONY leadership you're talking about Kenichiro Yoshida, not Jim Ryan.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I will do the same as when I went to see the Mario movie....

I'll arrive with my Ice Cream with more than 6 floors...

ice_cream_beat_by_taintedtamer_d31fhh6-375w.jpg

I'll order sushi luxury

sushi-en-miss-sushi-768x513.jpg

I'll order my vanilla crepe for dessert

3f7ce3b2-8020-476e-b9e1-d2ae914fb573_crop1618778650798.jpg_377768535.jpg

I'll ask for the most luxurious seat and I won't go to work.

2_IMG_1800-kjqG--1200x630@abc.jpg

When I see the opening and Kat, I'll do so

nezuko-anime.gif

52318.jpeg

:pie_sfwth::pie_sfwth::pie_sfwth::pie_sfwth::pie_sfwth::pie_sfwth::pie_sfwth::pie_sfwth::pie_sfwth::pie_sfwth::pie_sfwth::pie_sfwth:

------------------------------------

Yoboman

There's something just so funny about ranting about not getting games instead of adaptations, and then immediately admitting you haven't even played the game that is being adapted

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sony did make a animated R&C movie, no reason to think GR or Medievil will be any different. Just look at the success they had with the Spiderverse movies.
I just cant see it with Gravity Rush. what made Gravity Rush unique and interesting is visuals style and it gravity mechanics. Its same reason I cant see games like ICO and Shadow of The Colossus work as movie.

Holammer

BTW, Gravity Rush already has been adapted once in another medium; there was a short anime OVA produced by Studio Khara. It was kind of a GR Remastered / GR2 commercial product, bridging the story between the games, and it was a generally faithful / in-line side-project which I don't think ever had aspirations to stand on its own and continue as an animated series.

Never played the game, so the video broke my brain when I tried to parse the obviously made up French/Japanese/Spanish language.

Gojiira

I just cant see it with Gravity Rush. what made Gravity Rush unique and interesting is visuals style and it gravity mechanics. Its same reason I cant see games like ICO and Shadow of The Colossus work as movie.
An animated movie would literally be to the benefit of its visuals since they can do so much more creative effects. Sure it wouldnt be able to match the feel of manipulating gravity as a player but a animated movie can use all the tricks of the trade to disorient and play with the concept, and at least Kat would look authentic ❤️
I agree ICO and SotC likely wouldnt make good movies mainly because they require long, slow, melancholic journeys and that just wouldnt translate to a 2 hour film. Ico could be scaled back into a tense, dark fantasy maybe, but outside of someone like Guillermo Del Toro I cant really see many directors pulling off the atmosphere and visuals.

Top Bottom