• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: PS4 Recording Feature Not Limited to 15 Minutes, Local saving, PSN upload

Jack_AG

Banned
Why is everyone speculating 720/1080? Shit was confirmed 1080 in February if people actually bothered to look at the live upload of the KZSF playthrough.

Did everyone forget, FFS? We have proof its 1080p already... Not sure why there is confusion... Or is it ignorance?

Why is everyone speculating 720/1080? Shit was confirmed 1080 in February if people actually bothered to look at the live upload of the KZSF playthrough.

Did everyone forget, FFS? We have proof its 1080p already... Not sure why there is confusion... Or is it ignorance?
Nah it was 720p. The second video on YT was 1080p.

I thought this was known already?
It was. The first part anyway. It's been clear since the PS4 reveal in Feb that the 15 min time frame is merely the back date. It's ALWAYS recording the most recent 15 minutes and if you want to record more, you can. I assume the XB1 works the same way but only goes 5 minutes back. People are acting like these are hard caps, and I'm not sure where that's come from.

But the part about exporting to something like FC Pro is new news as far as I can recall

True, but I THINK the description of the YouTube video said "uploaded directly from the Playstation 4". Maybe Facebook only allows 720p?

FB indeed only allows 720p. I know this because I ripped the 1080p version from youtube and reuploaded it on my FB to see what res it would be. Don't judge me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
FB indeed only allows 720p. I know this because I ripped the 1080p version from youtube and reuploaded it on my FB to see what res it would be. Don't judge me.

Damn, I've just used a Youtube downloader to snag all of the direct feed 1080p footage. You're dedicated.

EvB

Did they change it to the Youtube one? I know the Youtube upload is a slightly different playthrough.

I've just watched the youtube video side by side with the stage demo and they are identical.

Also identical to the uncompressed (i.e. has not come out of the x264 encoder) Apple Pro res footage that Digital Foundry analyzed. That footage at the playstation meeting wasn't being rendered in realtime, that video had been pre recorded.

But we already knew that right?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
15 minutes would be more than fine for most people anyway.

But not fine enough for plenty!

I'm glad to have 15 minutes of automatic capture though. The best sort of thing that happens in a game happens by accident, and when I know I'm recording something on purpose, I feel an odd pressure to get good footage that causes me to screw up more often than not.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I've just watched the youtube video side by side with the stage demo and they are identical.

Also identical to the uncompressed (i.e. has not come out of the x264 encoder) Apple Pro res footage that Digital Foundry analyzed. That footage at the playstation meeting wasn't being rendered in realtime, that video had been pre recorded.

But we already knew that right?

These aren't the same videos that we had a topic on a couple months ago are they? where they are the same and not from the PS4 upload which left us with pages of Sony lied to us, at which point someone found the actual video that was uploaded from the actual stage demo?

Can you link to the videos?

EvB

These aren't the same videos that we had a topic on a couple months ago are they? where they are the same and not from the PS4 upload which left us with pages of Sony lied to us, at which point someone found the actual video that was uploaded from the actual stage demo?

Can you link to the videos?

There's no point, I'm insanely wrong on this occasion. Again.

KiraXD

i guess my question is can i record Lets Plays with voice audio?

ive been holding off on a capture card for my ps3/360/wii after hearding about the recording features of PS4 and XB1... or should i still get a good HD capture card (to keep record "old school" LP's on the current consoles lol)

i guess my question is can i record Lets Plays with voice audio?

ive been holding off on a capture card for my ps3/360/wii after hearding about the recording features of PS4 and XB1... or should i still get a good HD capture card (to keep record "old school" LP's on the current consoles lol)
If you are just casual about it the features of the consoles should be more than enough. For serious LPs or speedrunning I would get a capture card without a second thought. I have one and it is super useful.

farisr

Found the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUjQ4DJXLzw

1080p and "captured straight from the Playstation 4". So facebook is probably just limited to 720p and you can indeed record in 1080p.

Captured straight from Playstation 4 can still mean captured through a capture card.

If it said shared straight from the PS4, then there would be no doubt.

Yup, it's great. That's exactly what I'm using right now to capture PS3 stuff through HDMI. Capturing The Last Of Us and turning it into a movie for some of the non-gamer people I know IRL. And yes, I know I can find a bunch of these on youtube, but either the quality isn't good, or the editing isn't good, or they're missing some (imo) key moments from the game.

farisr

Actually I believe Shu or Cerny really did say they are requiring Vita compatible button mappings for all games.

Other than Eye/Move games of course.

Yup. Blacklight Retribution folks confirmed that vita control mapping is required for certification for a game (just like trophies are with the ps3).

KiraXD

If you are just casual about it the features of the consoles should be more than enough. For serious LPs or speedrunning I would get a capture card without a second thought. I have one and it is super useful.

yeah im thinking it would be best anyways... its going to be for all consoles anyways so it would be better for me... thanks!

VanWinkle

Yup. Blacklight Retribution folks confirmed that vita control mapping is required for certification for a game (just like trophies are with the ps3).

I asked him a question about it on the livestream that he answered, and I got the impression that he doesn't really know anything about Remote Play, other than it's for Vita and that games will be playable on there.

If it is, though, I'm glad devs thus far seem excited about Remote Play rather than bummed that they have to accommodate it (not that button mapping is some massive ordeal or that it would take away system resources, but still).

Edit: Okay I did some digging and I found this:

VG247 said:
PlayStation 4 natively supports Vita Remote Play at a system level, meaning almost every game will support the feature.

“On PlayStation 4, it just happens. You just make a PS4 game, it supports Remote Play,” SCE Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida told Engadget.

Not every game will work – “Maybe not Just Dance,” Yoshida joked, since that will use PlayStation Move or PlayStation Camera – but Sony has made it pretty easy for developers to opt-in.

“Please make sure that when you play your games on Vita, the control is good. That’s the minimum thing we’re asking them to do,” he said.

So it is a system level thing, but they are asking to make sure controls are good for Vita.

Jack_AG

Banned
The FB upload was the one from the stage. Youtube upload was after.
There were 2 videos on YT and they removed one after the reveal. People were doing comparisons between the FB and YT 2nd upload to show they were the same and it is in 1080p on YT. I remember comparing the 2 in Feb to show that it was 1080p. The first video uploaded was a different play through.

I remember the discussion we had here about the 3 vids as there was confusion about it back then.

So I can start a game, hit share and it will record until I'm done playing? Sweet!

Yes, this is what they suggest. In addition, when you start recording, it also saves the previous 15 minutes of gameplay. If it actually works like this, then it would be pretty awesome.

I might actually use that alot.
I have never recorded videos of me playing multiplayer but now when I have an amazing round or two they will be right there to upload.

Erm... incorrect. The KZSF upload was 720p.

The youtube upload was not the one uploaded, it was on the facebook page.

Vol5

Can someone tell me, from the OS and if your friends have streaming enabled, are you able to view their game?

Can someone tell me, from the OS and if your friends have streaming enabled, are you able to view their game?

Yes.

8vRfYMm.png

farisr

i thought it is a dev kit..
any link for the source

Nearly all sources state MS saying "debug unit", some added on their own (dev kit).

One of the main differences between dev kits and debug consoles, is that dev kits come with more RAM built in them and developer tools, which allows far more freedom to test. run and apply code for developers. (Other people can go into details about the coding differences, I'm not as knowledgeable about that aspect)

Debug units on the other hand, pack in the exact same hardware as the console, could very well be a retail console with different firmware that enables modes not available on regular retail units that allow developers (and even some review sites) to run unfinished, work in progress games. Useful to see if a game would work properly in the end on retail console hardware.

So yeah, having an Xbox One in your house is not going to be the same as having a $1,000+ dev kit. But most sites are reporting it like that's the case.

Top Bottom