• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Rare is working on two new games

SOR5

Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TbSKeMbIAw&feature=youtu.be&t=52m30s

Apparently Rare is working on two IP's they aren't ready to discuss yet, with two smaller teams within Rare. Possibly shown at Gamescom. (not counting Sea of Thieves, which in itself looks great)

Source comes from The Inner Circle Podcast of TICGN.com, from what I know the man in the middle (Kor x Kal El I think he goes by) is someone who has hosted interviews/talked personally with Xbox executives such as Phil Spencer and Mike Ybarra and has regular talks with other notable figures at the Xbox division so there's a bit of credibility, but he doesnt say who he got this information from (apart from 'some people at E3') so take it with buckets/truckloads/freighters of salt. "Two extra IP's" is also vague as it could mean existing IP's, new IP's or both.

This would mean three different teams at Rare would be working on Sea of Thieves, Game X and Game Y simultaneously.

promo.rare-replay.501x480.2015-06-16.7.jpg

First one to wear sunglasses gets a new game

Sea of theives is their shared world game

They need a single player, story driven, character building, deep narrative, emotional engaging game too :p

Maybe the third one is a remake of an old franchise. Edit: oh. New ip? Then a platformer full of fun and wonder ;)

Hype tho

Jet Force Gemini 2, please!

I'm really excited for Sea of Thieves. I hope this rumor is true so it means we get more Rare sooner as it looks like the studio is gearing up for that comeback.

Montresor

So much negativity about Microsoft's first party developers recently. It's nice to get some good news!

I love the idea of Rare working on two new never-before-seen games. They're a big studio! They should be able to handle it!

Currently they have Sea of Thieves as their 2017 game (possibly February 2017?).

I wonder what else they are working on. New IPs? Sequel to an existing IP?

I wouldn't mind them working on absolutely nothing but new IPs. Let other developers work on their old IPs. Rare continuing to expand the stable of MS first party franchises would be pretty neat.

SOR5

A games developer is working on new games... Shocking!

Sorry, shouldve made the title something like "Two new games alongside Sea of Thieves", thats what I was getting at, hope i can get it changed somehow

I also thought because it was Rare it would be slightly more significant

Love these guys. The middle dude is so earnest and such a massive fanboy, but in such an inoffensive way. They make me chuckle indulgently.

Montresor

A games developer is working on new games... Shocking!

Rare working on TWO new games other than Sea of Thieves is big news. Maybe it's "expected" but the narrative lately has been all about "Microsoft has no first parties".

To hear that one of Microsoft's first-party developers is making two new games is very nice to think about.

RowdyReverb

Isn't that their usual pipeline? I remember hearing that they're always working on a few things and just pick the ones with the most potential

Did you fall asleep during the N64 era and just wake up now?
Rare making games is a shock.

I miss when it was possible for Rare to have multiple teams with like 20 or so people each in them so they could crank out tons of different games all at once as they did back in the N64 era. Alas, with the game industry these days, now you need to have like a hundred people on one project.

Ushay

Absolutely believe it. I would imagine at least one will be a Scorpio launch game.

Makes sense for them to align games (especially unannounced games) towards Scorpio's release. They'll be developing both Xbox One and Scorpio versions of course.

Personally I hope they make another new IP, and look back to making Banjo great again.

SOR5

Isn't that their usual pipeline? I remember hearing that they're always working on a few things and just pick the ones with the most potential

Mattrick era Rare consisted of Kinect Sports #1 and lucky us we were blessed with Kinect Sports #2, this went on since 2009-2014 so its cool if they've been allowed to work on several new projects along with SoT again

I guess they want to make the logo revival mean something again

a0378e8cf69d15d6f75ddf38ec929951.png

aren't avatars coming back?

not in my video games they aint!

It's funny, every time a bunch of people start calling for reboots. Then other people complain because no new IPs. Let them explore and have fun. Makes some great family games.

The rumour that just won't go away, lol.

I don't actually think they are though. Joe Neate was being interviewed by somebody at E3 (can't remember who) and they did mention the four barns but the way he squirmed out the question I got the impression it was all hands on deck (sorry/not sorry) on Sea of Thieves.

I'm not saying that Rare couldn't be helping/consulting another dev make a game from one of there back catalogue but I just don't see one additional game in production at the moment, never mind two.

Camjo-Z

PLEASE BE TRUE

It's funny, every time a lot of people start calling for reboots. Then people complain because no new IPs. Let them explore and have fun. Makes some great family games.

If there's any developer that needs to dig into its back catalog it's Rare. Too many good series to just let languish.

SMG

I miss when it was possible for Rare to have multiple teams with like 20 or so people each in them so they could crank out tons of different games all at once as they did back in the N64 era. Alas, with the game industry these days, now you need to have like a hundred people on one project.

Agreed, but it hit Rare far worse.
MS bought them wanting a foot in the family / all ages sector then after a week changed their mind putting Rare in a draw until the Kinect gambit needed fodder. Kinect faded and so did the only outlet for Rare.

Zalman

After the success of Yooka-Laylee, Banjo-Threeie is likely one of these games.
They should have made that game before Playtonic became a thing and stole their thunder. Many Rare veterans have joined that team instead, and they're still hiring more.

They should have made that game before Playtonic became a thing and stole their thunder. Many Rare veterans have joined that team instead, and they're still hiring more.

Another issue is that Gregg Mayles, who was always the lead designer of the Banjo games, is actually currently designing Sea of Thieves right now, so that's another veteran probably unable to work on it.

Maybe they could get some new blood, however.

Azalean

Banned
Hopefully a new Conker or Jet Force Gemini (Really unlikely).

Don't really need a Banjo 4 as Yooka-Laylee should quench that thirst.

SOR5

Hopefully a new Conker or Jet Force Gemini (Really unlikely).

Don't really need a Banjo 4 as Yooka-Laylee should quench that thirst.

Im sure Jet Force Gemini was trademarked recently, but Recore looks like its scratching that itch

Zedox

"Two extra IPs"...not new ips. Anything can happen.

I would actually be down for a stealth "splinter cell"ish type of Perfect Dark game. If we get Threeie my fiancé will be excited as hell.

Top Bottom