• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Rise of the Tomb Raider coming to PS4 on October 11th

farisr

The Xbox version released Nov. 10, 2015.

I thought there was a one-year duration on the exclusivity contract. Why would it be coming out in 11 months, rather than after a full year?
I'm more inclined to believe that it was 6 months, ending in May, and they just delayed it further due to Uncharted 4. Uncharted 4 was initially planned for Holiday 2015 after all.

The scenario goes something like this.

Square: "okay, we'll release it Holiday 2015 on Xbox One against Uncharted 4, Xbox One only owners wanting something like Uncharted 4 will buy it, marketing it as an exclusive will give us more sales on the xbox one that we otherwise would've, plus we get the extra money from MS. We should get decent reviews and PS4 owners will be interested/want it as well, and then around May, enough time would've passed since Uncharted 4 for us to release it and capitalize on that period of the year where there won't be much competition."

Sony: "Uncharted 4 is delayed to March 18th."

Square: "Shit! Holiday plan backfired, maybe May is still alright, that's two months..."

Sony: "Uncharted 4 is delayed to late April"

Square: "Damn it! Okay, that's it we're releasing in October."

Bowl0l

I'll buy it in a flash sale
Me too. Maybe for $9 just like the 2013 DE.
Please note that i bought the 2013 reboot 3 times.
First as my first PS4 game (Asia PSN), 2nd during a flash sale (US PSN) and 3rd time for the PC.
Didn't buy RoTR because i wanted to buy a new GPU. Bought RX480 for USD$329 because GTX 970 is still selling for USD$427.

S.E., i hope you enjoy that timed exclusive money.

ZeroX03

Banned
True enough, it's very S-E that they'd try to release this full price.

To be fair though, Type-0 HD was the first time the game was ever translated and it was also an HD remaster to console of the old PSP game the US never got, so more people were probably willing to put up with its price. And FFX HD came with two games FFX HD and FFX-2 HD.

Though on the other hand, that didn't stop other HD collections like Jak and Sly from launching cheaper.

I believe Sony had some price control on remasters on PS3? FFX HD was $40 on PS3 and $60 on PS4 for no discernible reason. Type-0 wouldn't have sold a thing at $60 if it wasn't for the XV demo, and even that still dropped down to $40 within like two months.

SE just love to release stuff at $60. They love delayed PC ports too. If something's nice about them, it's that they're consistent.

Gamers and their priorities to where their money goes to prevent 'supporting shitty practices' is so hilariously one sided lmao

If a publisher does something I approve of I preorder their games and buy dlc. I'll even buy it on another platform again. Opposite should apply if they're being shitty.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Either its 40$, comes with all DLC, or 40 and comes with all DLC, or i'll wait for a big price drop.

I don't want the new TR franchise to be dead because of SE and MS's collaborative mistake, especially on a cliffhanger, but it just would not be a good deal otherwise.

kennyamr

I'll wait for the 29$ sale :p
I mean, I've waited a year... so I'm sure I can wait another year, no rush there.

Sorry Lara, I'm your fan... well, your PS1 games' fan.
So yea.

statham

lolno Sony will just shit this thing out with a blog post. if they acknowledge it at all

Chance it was a 6 month exclusive and Sony asked for or paid them to make it one of Neo's showpieces. I fully expect this game will be shown when they announce Neo. I'm betting 4K/30 or 1440/60?as they have it running great already on Xbox 1.3TF. Probably why they feel they can ask for $60 IMO.

icespide

Banned
Chance it was a 6 month exclusive and Sony asked for or paid them to make it one of Neo's showpieces. I fully expect this game will be shown when they announce Neo. I'm betting 4K/30 or 1440/60?as they have it running great already on Xbox 1.3TF. Probably why they feel they can ask for $60 IMO.
I really doubt it

farisr

No way.

If Sony had their hands in it, they'd probably ask $40 for it. But they won't, the game that is old news and won't sell that well (when compared to other more lucrative 3rd party franchises launching around that time of the year). They'd benefit more from putting money towards those other big 3rd party games to have a super good looking neo mode than ROTR.

Wasn't there a rumor that this game would have some sort of PSVR component? I can't remember who said that but I'm pretty sure it was someone on this forum. If that were true it would greatly increase my interest in this game.

Humdinger

I'm more inclined to believe that it was 6 months, ending in May, and they just delayed it further due to Uncharted 4. Uncharted 4 was initially planned for Holiday 2015 after all.

The scenario goes something like this.
[....]

Ok. I thought we knew the duration of exclusivity was a year. I guess we didn't, and that was just speculation, based on the fact that they said it would release holiday 2016.

So we really don't know how long the exclusivity contract was for.

Bowl0l

lolno Sony will just shit this thing out with a blog post. if they acknowledge it at all
I don't think Sony has an agenda against S. Enix. It's not like Sony fully funded RoTR and S. Enix ran off with the money. Of course Sony won't bother marketing RoTR since PS4 library is good enough and S. Enix can afford the cost of marketing their $60 1 year old game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Crazy that Square Enix is releasing 3 games in October:

- Dragon Quest Builders
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- World of Final Fantasy

ZeroX03

Banned
Most likely Nixxes since they handle the CD ports.

Would be weird if it was anyone else.

Yeah I doubt they'd do a poor job unless SE gave them absolutely no time or resources.

Crazy that Square Enix is releasing 3 games in October:

- Dragon Quest Builders
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- World of Final Fantasy

Not really a lot of crossover there though, Tomb Riader and Final Fantasy have completely different audiences and nobody is going to buy Builders.

Humdinger

Wasn't there a rumor that this game would have some sort of PSVR component? I can't remember who said that but I'm pretty sure it was someone on this forum. If that were true it would greatly increase my interest in this game.

Yeah, somebody here said it. I think it was just wishful thinking or mere speculation. I don't think there is any substance to it. I haven't even heard a rumor.

I believe Sony had some price control on remasters on PS3? FFX HD was $40 on PS3 and $60 on PS4 for no discernible reason. Type-0 wouldn't have sold a thing at $60 if it wasn't for the XV demo, and even that still dropped down to $40 within like two months.

SE just love to release stuff at $60. They love delayed PC ports too. If something's nice about them, it's that they're consistent.

Oh yeah, good point, that probably was the main factor for why they were cheaper on that one occasion.

statham

No way.

If Sony had their hands in it, they'd probably ask $40 for it. But they won't, the game that is old news and won't sell that well (when compared to other more lucrative 3rd party franchises launching around that time of the year). They'd benefit more from putting money towards those other big 3rd party games to have a super good looking neo mode than ROTR.

They will have those too, its not going to launch with just the fall 3rd party big games, they will want atleast 15 games at launch. This is a excellent candidate.

farisr

Ok. I thought we knew the duration of exclusivity was a year. I guess we didn't, and that was just speculation, based on the fact that they said it would release holiday 2016.

So we really don't know how long the exclusivity contract was for.
Yeah we don't really know the actual contract details obv.

I remember Kagari saying that she heard it was 4-6 months.

Which is why I'm more inclined to believe that it probably was around 6 months but Uncharted 4's delay messed up their plans to release as soon as the contract was done.

ZeroX03

Banned
Final Fantasy wants it's audience to be bigger, so hard to agree there.

Do you really, really think that World of Final Fantasy and Rise of the Tomb Raider are going to be eating into each other's lunch? A non-mainline title? Reallllllly?

Oh yeah, good point, that probably was the main factor for why they were cheaper on that one occasion.

Kingdom Hearts too. 2.8 is $60, the other HD remixes were $40.

jackdoe

Yeah we don't really know the actual contract details obv.

I remember Kagari saying that she heard it was 4-6 months.

Which is why I'm more inclined to believe that it probably was around 6 months but Uncharted 4's delay messed up their plans to release as soon as the contract was done.
I do remember talk about an original 6 month delay that was extended. Potentially to either push up the PC release and/or announce the existence of PC and PS4 versions of the game before the original Xbox One release (which meant changing the terms of the original arrangement with Microsoft). I don't think a self-imposed year long delay would be something Square-Enix would be especially keen to do.

ZeroX03

Banned
Was referring to XV, sorry.

Mafia is going to do more damage to Tomb Raider than XV, that's between the two. I really don't see SE being too worried about Tomb Raider if they're launching at $60, they're just getting whatever sales they can before it's $30 on Black Friday.

And that's assuming this October 11th date is even true. Tomb Raider would have a lot bigger competitors than XV to worry about if it launched in November.

MisterR

They will have those too, its not going to launch with just the fall 3rd party big games, they will want atleast 15 games at launch. This is a excellent candidate.

You honestly think Sony is going to use a year old Xbox exclusive to promote their new machine? Give me a break.

Or they just focus on Uncharted 4 Neo mode and bundle it with Neo. Why would they give a shit about an Xbox moneyhat Uncharted clone when they had their own Uncharted? ;)

Sad to say it's probably going to be DOA which sucks because it was a good game but Square or whoever really fucked it up with that XBO exclusive.

Seriously people were not expecting a full price for this game?

Come on :/

Anyway... I won't be able to play it till I finish FFXV and TLG... So November for me.

Top Bottom