• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: So Killzone: SF was only using 1.5GB of VRAM

I should make a clarification, when we refer to RAM in earlier devkits, we are speaking explicitly about video memory. Some of these articles written by Kotaku confuse readers by talking about System and Video memory as one large bank which is not the case. As far as I know it went like this:

1st Devkits: 2 GB of RAM (1.5 GB Video Memory)
2nd Devkits: 4 GB of RAM (3+ Video Memory) - if I am reading this right, decision was made in September to up it, and machines were shipped in January.

Finally, Cerny's promise: 8 GB of RAM (6 GB Video memory at max since 176 GBS / 30 = 5.86)

If any one needs me to clarify this post I can.

I could use a clarification. When talking about the different amounts of RAM in different devkits, are you talking about total amounts that the devkits had or target amounts for the final retail box? If it's the former, is VGLeaks then incorrect (they claim that all the currently available Orbis devkits have 8 GB total)? If it's the latter (and VGLeaks is right), did the amount dedicated to tools and debugging decrease with every new devkit revision?

CLEEK

At thirty frames you have access to 5.87 GB of RAM because the bandwith of the memory is 176 GB/S. This leaves 2+ GB of space for OS functions, which sounds similar to MS's setup.

The maximum amount of RAM that can be accessed per frame isn't the end of it. You also have persistent data stored on RAM (stuff like a game's inventory, enemy positions etc), cached data streamed from HDD or BD, and a bunch of other things that eat into your available RAM.

A tech demo is a non playable cutscene designed to show off a feature. This is a playable demonstration, a vertical slice, in other words, gameplay. He even let that tool Jimmy Fallon play it.

Okay... it's a playable demo... still holds true, that it was a SHORT demo, and that 1.5GB of data could easily cover textures, models, AI scripts, etc for a small section of an unfinished game.

Evilore should just get it over with.

NEOGAF

Gaming Discussion
Gaming Community
----------------------------------
Off Topic Discussion
Off Topic Community
----------------------------------
RAM Discussion
RAM Community

lol I can Imagine that one with topics such as:

- Show us your RAM
- So I met this RAM last night
- What RAM suits me better? I am a Leo
- Oh Hi I upgraded your RAM picture compilation

Derrick01

Banned
Higher resolution textures, faster load times, more efficient streaming of large levels, more diverse animations. Might increase AA. So not a mindblowingly night and day difference from what we saw in the announcement trailers, but subtle improvements.

God knows the game needs the bolded more than anything after that demo. What good is a game that amazing looking with such janky NPC animations?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
At thirty frames you have access to 5.87 GB of RAM because the bandwith of the memory is 176 GB/S. This leaves 2+ GB of space for OS functions, which sounds similar to MS's setup.
I'm sure it isn't automagically this way but if this demo was done with access to only 1.5GB VRAM wouldn't that mean they could make it 60 FPS because if they have 8 GB RAM in total they could spare 176 / 60 = 2.933GB for that?

Or do you think it's easier at this point to just throw in a bunch of effects and AA to use the extra memory.

Or maybe increase the LOD distance when lower LOD stuff is used?

What can we reasonably expect? (For a game this far in development.)

Izick

PS4 was only using 18% of it's maximum power.

Toguro.jpg

Fantastic.

i-Lo

When we refer to RAM in earlier devkits, we are speaking explicitly about video memory. Some of these articles written by Kotaku confuse readers by talking about System and Video memory as one large bank which is not the case. As far as I know it went like this:

1st Devkits: 2 GB of RAM (1.5 GB Video Memory)
2nd Devkits: 4 GB of RAM (3+ Video Memory) - if I am reading this right, decision was made in September to up it, and machines were shipped in January.

Finally, Cerny's promise: 8 GB of RAM (6 GB Video memory at max since 176 GBS / 30 = 5.86)

If any one needs me to clarify this post I can.

I am so very confused. Are you saying:

1st Devkit: 2GB GDDR5 (+ X amount DDR3)
2nd Devkit: 4GB GDDR5 (+ X amount DDR3)

And now it's 6GB of video memory (only for graphical purpose?)

Firstly, if that's is the case then just for graphical side of the things the debugging overhead went from 512MB to ~1GB to whatever it is now(?). Is that not huge?

Secondly, how much is the 6GB supposed to simulate?

Thirdly, will be ram usage and consumption be significantly skewed toward GPU usage? What kind of ration for rendering side of things vs general processing?

Almighty

Developers have long been clamoring that 2 GB of system memory isn't enough, and now we're to expect that they'd be fine with less than that while we fill the majority of the memory space with textures? That's the vibe I'm getting from the thread anyway.

This reminds me. Does anyone know what is the usual RAM split between graphics and everything else for games?

thuway

I could use a clarification. When talking about the different amounts of RAM in different devkits, are you talking about total amounts that the devkits had or target amounts for the final retail box? If it's the former, is VGLeaks then incorrect (they claim that all the currently available Orbis devkits have 8 GB total)? If it's the latter (and VGLeaks is right), did the amount dedicated to tools and debugging decrease with every new devkit revision?

Sony's first "target" specs were 2 GB. (Late 2011, Early 2012)
Sony's second "target" specs were 4 GB. (Late 2012, Early 2013)
Cerny finally came out the other day and mentioned they are now going for 8 GB. (One week ago)

Dennis

Banned
Not all that surprising to me. While the trailer looked insane, there was nothing really that seemed to demand more than 1.5GB of VRAM. 1080p and some AA with those textures does not need more than 1.5 GB.

From the other thread.

In addition, they have the option of upping the texture resolution now with the larger amount of RAM as well as the AA.

But its not like all the RAM will be used like VRAM, all the other stuff a game does will still need some of it.

They could reduce loading time, larger areas, more deformation and permanent damage in levels.

DieH@rd

Banned
lol, 6.5GB for video memory, good thing the OS has no overhead. We should tag all these threads. In 10 years when we look back to the "RAM days", it'll be a good laugh.

Dont despair RAMGaf! All of you precious GDDR5 can be left for games and 8 jaguar cores will be untouched by OS if sony puts on mobo Vita SoC package [SoC+512mbram+128mb vram or some variation of it, all dedicated for OS].

BERIEVE.

no wai

Wouldn't be surprised to hear this be confirmed.
It is like three times the amount of RAM in the PS3, and visual wise the leap is at best twice.

thuway

RAM stuff

I will make this short and sweet. A long time ago, Sony only had plans for 2 GB of RAM (total). Dev's bitched. Sony upped it to 4 GB of RAM. Dev's bitched. Sony has now upped it to 8 GB of RAM.

Guerilla apparently, has been using the very first kits this entire time, which is shocking if true.

JABEE

There was one point in the demo where the soldier looked weird walking down steps. Maybe the added RAM will allow for better animations as others have mentioned.

spwolf

why would they write in/out all of the available ram per frame? So no caching, nothing stays in memory, textures are loaded in/out every frame? Thats hell of a streaming engine there :)

thats not the way it works.

thuway

why would they write in/out all of the available ram per frame? So no caching, nothing stays in memory, textures are loaded in/out every frame? Thats hell of a streaming engine there :)

thats not the way it works.
Forgivez me sirz, for I know not the ways of a programmer :).

CLEEK

Also, bare in mind that multiple different devs have said over the years that E3 demo builds usually are done separately from the core game design and can takes months of effort. They eat into resources to get a presentable build of an incomplete game. While GG would have been the first to know about the increase of RAM to 8GB, that doesn't mean they had the dev kits to make use of this.

i-Lo

I will make this short and sweet. A long time ago, Sony only had plans for 2 GB of RAM (total). Dev's bitched. Sony upped it to 4 GB of RAM. Dev's bitched. Sony has now upped it to 8 GB of RAM.

Guerilla apparently, has been using the very first kits this entire time, which is shocking if true.

Thanks.

The user Shayan who purports to know everything these big companies do said that GG was solely responsible for getting Sony to boost the ram to 8GB. I wonder if you can lend any credence to that statement.

Also, any comments on how much of the RAM may be reserved for OS at launch?

And finally, will the final dev kit releasing this summer see a ram boost for overhead (provided the current dev kits have 8GB overall)?

rdrr gnr

Thanks.

The user Shayan who purports to know everything these big companies do said that GG was solely responsible for getting Sony to boost the ram to 8GB. I wonder if you can lend any credence to that statement.

And finally, will the final dev kit releasing this summer see a ram boost for overhead (provided the current dev kits have 8GB overall)?
Why would you think he knows?

Respawn

Banned
There was one point in the demo where the soldier looked weird walking down steps. Maybe the added RAM will allow for better animations as others have mentioned.

Ever heard of place holder animations? Its a demo of whats to come. Not the final product.

So we've got Dragon Ball Z for comparing consoles as a whole and now YuYuHakusho for RAM analogies...

How long until we're doing Jojo's for GPUs setups? Rurouni Kenshin for CPU speeds? :p

I can't remember any episode of Kenshin where someone used a percent or magic number scale for comparing fighters... Not far along enough in Jojo to know there either.

KaiserBecks

A tech demo is a non playable cutscene designed to show off a feature. This is a playable demonstration, a vertical slice, in other words, gameplay. He even let that tool Jimmy Fallon play it.

I remember that! They let him climb up a wall. A first timer for the Killzone franchise, as it is something that could not have been done before. Thanks, ram!

thuway

Thanks.

A - I don't know Shayan.
B- There are some extremely credible sources on the board that can echo what I've said earlier about the kit history (2, 4, 8). BG, Liquid, Gopher I am looking right at you -_-.
C- No idea about OS use, Gopher would know more than me, my sources have tightened up worse than Hannah Montana's career.

Flatline

Banned
For the love of God can someone reply seriously to the question what way more RAM actually improves? No unfunny jokes please, I want an actual answer.

Top Bottom