• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor time: First details and artwork on new Tomb Raider?

Vinterbird said:
Fucking awesome, so this is done and confirmed then.

No no wait, it's just a focus test. It could change and turn around 180°
But yeah, they'll probably hold on to it.

I are no good with NDAs

batbeg said:
Is this an enemy leaping, or Lara with blade arms? Because the way this is going, it could go either way really...
Thats what I thought too. :lol

Put this sound . . . interesting. I have only played the first game a TINY bit so Im not against the change.

Oh, and the redesign looks WAAAYY more like how I would think she should look like. (A young female Indiana Jones)

Phantast2k said:
No no wait, it's just a focus test. It could change and turn around 180°
But yeah, they'll probably hold on to it.

I are no good with NDAs

They could of course change details and stuff, but they are probably very far ahead in development on this. So I think the basic concept is a lock at this point.

Samara

bloodforge said:
How else would she hold it on her back? People do that all time.

Oh! I taught people had a little holster to hold it on their back, so it's easier to take out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^have no idea why I did that

The focus on combat is the main problem in TR. After so many years, it's still horrible. It's really depressing that a genre like this is fainting away. There is no other game like this, damn it. I don't know why they are trying to change it so much.

And no guns? Wow, handling that Sword thing in Underworld was sooo fun

I actually like this.

When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hiden of the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows. With only her deterination, inner streinght, and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the chalnges of a harsh and unforgiving jorney that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island's past. As she struggles to prevalil through brutal combat encounters and trecherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limits and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move.

Hunt or be hunted: Evade outsmart, track and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey

Survival Action: Brutally attack and defend as you fight gto survive through visceral one on one mlee combat.

Strategic Weapons: Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array ofdifferent mlee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns and the hunters ultimate weapon, the bow.

Creative Survival: React and adapto to teh island by using only that wich you can salvage from the enviroment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options.

Free Movement: Scrale up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid air to land a misderected jump there is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh enviroment of the island.

One Cohesive World: The diverse multi region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather and natural events.

Origin Story: This new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring the orgins of Lara Croft's transformation into a hardened adventurer as unravel the story behind the island's misterious past.

This could be pretty amazing if they can pull it off. And one thing that gives me some faith that they can is that Toby Gard is now a lead designer at CD (he'd previously had much smaller roles in Legend and Underworld). There's no way that he's going to screw up TR.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ShockingAlberto said:
5.jpg

Something about her arm bothers me, but I can't quite place it.
It's still too thin. If she is going to have enormous tits, they need to be in proportion with the rest of her body.

That's supposing they're aiming for realism.

Is it really being rebooted again? Another origin story?

SolidSnakex said:
I actually like this.

This could be pretty amazing if they can pull it off. And one thing that gives me some faith that they can is that Toby Gard is now a lead designer at CD (he'd previously had much smaller roles in Legend and Underworld). There's no way that he's going to screw up TR.

That sounds fantastic.

TripOpt55

Yeah some of that stuff sounds pretty good. The bullet points/descriptions for "Creative Survival" and "Free Movement" sound cool. I wouldn't mind the open-world. Maybe it could be a little like Metroid where the new abilities they talk about in those bullet points could be how you unlock new areas. There just still needs to be lots of platforming and exploration. As for the combat, I agree that there shouldn't be more of it, but at this point I'm open to a new style of combat if it will make it better. What they've been doing just isn't good. Even the stuff in Lara's Shadow wasn't any better.

Hy_

Legend and Anniversary were good games, infact I would say Anniversary was a great game. Underworld seemed like it ran out of ideas and the puzzles were boring. I'm just not a fan of the supernatural stuff. Don't get the people who gush over Uncharted, but somehow TR is trash.

Man I hope it doesn't have a stupid horror style, I'd like to be able to play a Tomb Raider and just be afraid of the environment, not the enemies, first sodding great terrifying spiders in Underworld, now people with blade arms?

Fucking fail. The last Tomb Raider was buggy and nowhere near as good as Anniversary, so I can see why they've went back to the drawing board... but what they've come up with is Lady Turok on GTA-free-roaming Mirrors Edge free Running Silent Hill Island, with a horse and shit, because lol Zelda

Whatever happened to raiding tombs?

Y2Kev said:
Is it really being rebooted again? Another origin story?

It deserves it this time. This will be the first time that Toby's had a heavy hand in the development of a TR game since the original game. Like I said earlier, he's not going to screw up the series given that he left Eidos because he was upset with what they were doing with it.

radioheadrule83 said:
Whatever happened to raiding tombs?

Lara must overcome the chalnges of a harsh and unforgiving jorney that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs

Y2Kev

It sounds like it would be awesome if it were basically Metroid Prime in third person with a horror theme. But I don't like the redesign and this doesn't need to be ANOTHER origin story.

You just rebooted it and got me to care about the character. Now wipe it clean again!

At least it sounds like it fits into the canon of the original TR... wasn't there meant to be a plane crash incident or something in her past that let to her becoming a 'hardened' solo adventurer?

I still don't like the sound of this.

Samara

Darkflight said:
Man I hope it doesn't have a stupid horror style, I'd like to be able to play a Tomb Raider and just be afraid of the environment, not the enemies, first sodding great terrifying spiders in Underworld, now people with blade arms?

They look like tree men

And the story seems interesting too. At least it's over with the Amanda/Mum stuff. It's just weird that they chose to call the last one :underworld", cause for this one, it would have made perfect sense

Vinterbird said:
Yup, along with the series orignal creator. According to a job listing, they are seeing it as a AAA production.
Pfft, Eidos has no monies and fired loads of people at Crystal Dynamics. I find this very hard to believe.
Y2Kev said:
It's still too thin. If she is going to have enormous tits, they need to be in proportion with the rest of her body.

That's supposing they're aiming for realism.
She needs to be modeled and mocapped on a real chick.

FFChris

Y2Kev said:

They don't look too enormous, and skinny women can have big tits, I should know I've seen a few in my time.

I think the concept is great, the monster designs are a bit generic though.

Zenith

Banned
Stairs said:
This sounds nothing like a Tomb Raider game. How can you have an open world Tomb Raiding game?

probably same way Warrior Within was sorta open world.

either way Tomb Raider is one of the most irrelvant franchises and the thought of playing one fills me with dread.

Blizzard

Banned
Since this thread seems bound for not much but comments about Lara and comparisons with Uncharted, I might as well take the comparison to Chloe Frazier. Look at her chest.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/02/uncharted_2_chloe.jpg

I think the thing that bothers me most about this "new" Lara design is her breasts (lolz I'm a gamer commenting on breasts). I'm all for women with smaller breasts, more realistic features, not airbrushed, etc. etc., but I feel like the shape they gave them combined with the vertical placement makes her look either really weirdly formed or else her breasts look saggy, i.e. she's not wearing a bra. And if she's NOT wearing a bra, then that means nipples in video games, which you can't have etc.

</overanalysis which is very probably wrong because I'm not an artist> I guess overall, the pose combined with the chest placement combined with the skinny half-zombie arm looks weird. But it's concept art, assuming it's even real, so who knows what the final product might look like. I also totally don't get the apparent Silent Hill direction for the game, but whatever.

Also, I am in no way claiming that Lara was realistically shaped in previous games. :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
ShockingAlberto said:
5.jpg

Something about her arm bothers me, but I can't quite place it.

The torch light is washing out the musculature in her shoulder and screwing with the forshortening on her forearm leaving the whole thing looking a bit wonky. If it wasn't for the light she would look alright.

Y2Kev

Visualante said:
Pfft, Eidos has no monies and fired loads of people at Crystal Dynamics. I find this very hard to believe.

She needs to be modeled and mocapped on a real chick.
I think she was mocapped using a real chick for Underworld and I hated it. The key framing is much more weighty and aesthetically pleasing.

Zen

Banned
sweetwasabi said:
Don't they get why the latest game was horrible?!?!

They should just scrap combat altogether ( ok a little combat is ok, but just a little)
A sandbox? Horses? And what was wrong with Lara's design? She looked great in Underworld.

Know what, they should remake the old game with the new engine. Anniversary was amazing.

Hopefully they model the combat more around Uncharted if they have to pick between that at the combat in the previous game, but honestly this sounds good to me. There's nothing wrong with a sandbox. Personally I've always found the hints of actual exploration/traversal from area to area to be cool, why not make Tomb Raider, a game about exploring, have more real exploring than just levels with linear transitions.

What's wrong with her design? You mean that she looks closer to an actual human? :lol

Darkpen

Banned
wow....

Save for the horror and origin story aspect of what's in the text, there was someone on GAF who was laying out almost exactly this concept in a TR thread a few months back. What the hell?

*goes to try and find the poster in question*

edit: stuburns! :lol :lol

I guess he called it :p

unless he's secretly a leak! D:!

Zen said:
Hopefully they model the combat more around Uncharted if they have to pick between that at the combat in the previous game, but honestly this sounds good to me. There's nothing wrong with a sandbox. Personally I've always found the hints of actual exploration/traversal from area to area to be cool, why not make Tomb Raider, a game about exploring, have more real exploring than just levels with linear transitions.

I'd prefer they rethink combat entirely, not just how it works but the pacing of it as well. I still think Tomb Raider would benefit from taking the SotC approach to combat. Not in having large enemies that you climb over and such, but rather stripping out all filler combat with scrub enemies and just having a handful of really unique enemy types that only appear once or twice.

Darkpen

Banned
Honestly, I feel about this now the same I felt when stuburns suggested the idea of a TR taking place on a remote island open world: skeptical and critical of potential un-TR-ness. I like the character redesign, for sure, but if they're going to do this, I hope they do it right.

Regardless of the horror aspect, the mere mention of co-op play in tow with not only survival horror, but new combat, makes me worried already. But the fact that its open-world on an island makes me question how they're going to handle the actual traversal. I feel like its just going to be a pain in the ass.

I don't know...

The art with her on horseback and bow makes me optimistic that they're completely rethinking the way she controls, including horseback archery, as I feel that SotC did an absolutely awesome job with that aspect.

(as for the people discussing her proportions: are you serious? Really? If it were up to me, she'd be B-cup, but hey, its a videogame, at least she doesn't have freaking Barbie's proportions).

Kolgar said:
Time to let this franchise die, folks.

You first. People have been wanting an open world sand box type Tomb Raider for YEARS!! Now we finally get one and you want to kill it? Fuck that...

Gilgamesh

Wow, this... actually sounds really interesting to me. I've never been that into Tomb Raider, but I'll keep my eye on this one.

Top Bottom