• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor : Twitch subscriptions are about to change, adding 2 new options

imBask

Banned
Apparently, partners got an email for the new Subscriptions beta (leaked email below)

The gist of it is that there will now be tiers at $5, $10 and $25.

That sounds pretty cool to me. Lots of people are willing to throw $25 to help out streamers they like, and it'll probably help the mid-range streamers with a dedicated fanbase a whole lot. It might also reduce the need to have a Patreon alongside your stream subscriptions for a lot of them (which sucks for Patreon)

Reddit thread about it
shoutout to monotonetim calling everyone dweebs in the comment

mQ2nkJU.jpg

Lock this up if the overlay is too big

shira

Is there any streamer worth $25 a month?

I don't think anyone can give me double the entertainment value of say Netflix

People spend more on Patreon for shows with weekly/monthly/irregular release schedules so why not for people that stream several hours a day every day?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?

You'll be surprise. There are many viewers that call their streamer "dad" because they spend 5+ hours a day everyday. Destiny the streamer has this option for years on his private site and the market speaks for itself(yeah he has tons of subs that pay him $20+ a month)

imBask

Banned

I think it's more about support than value, like I wouldn't pay $25 a month, but $10 if I really like you and I feel like you're struggling to make this your full time job? hey, maybe why not

OP is a dweeb

no YOU'RE a dweeb

shira

Some people have the disposable income and really like helping people they enjoy

Well outside of the people that give$100+ donations - is there a streamer out there that anyone thinks is worth $25 to regular folk?

I think it's more about support than value, like I wouldn't pay $25 a month, but $10 if I really like you and I feel like you're struggling to make this your full time job? hey, maybe why not

no YOU'RE a dweeb

You'll be surprise. There are many viewers that call their streamer "dad" because they spend 5+ hours a day everyday. Destiny the streamer has this option for years on his private site and the market speaks for itself(yeah he has tons of subs that pay him $20+ a month)

OIC.

Well if anyone reading this thread knows of a streamer worth $25 a month lemme know. I want to see what a dedicated super-twitch streamer is like.

The "new subscriber" sound effects are going to be even more obnoxious now on some streams, aren't they?

$25 subscriber basically destroys your headphones immediately.

Pikma

Banned

Not for you or me but people donate a shitton of $$$$ to streamers on a daily basis, so there are definitely some people willing to put in that sort of money

It will probably also motivate streamers to give something back other than emotes, which is good imo.

imBask

Banned
Well outside of the people that give$100+ donations - is there a streamer out there that anyone thinks is worth $25 to regular folk?

Destiny has his own subscription model on his website, very similar to this, and there are PLENTY of people willing to pay $10-20 a month

border

It's a really sad shame that the only way they can think to monetize their service further is "More emotes!!!1!"

Pikma

Banned

no YOU'RE a dweeb
You're the dweebs KING

Boke1879

This would probably be awesome for smaller streams that do have dedicated followings.

Also like some here have said. Many people are willing to throw $25 a month to their favorite streamers.

Seems like they want that Patreon money. People want to support creators they like, and Twitch subscriptions do just that. So why not offer higher tiers, for those audiences that want to be more supportive?

And if Twitch takes a percentage off top, that's just a part of the business.

Nzyme32

The "new subscriber" sound effects are going to be even more obnoxious now on some streams, aren't they?

$25 subscriber basically destroys your headphones immediately.

The answer to this is simple - never watch streamers that have shitty readouts and sound effects for subs.

There are plenty of great streamers not bothering with that and just keeping on with the game and other fun that isn't obnoxious

SZips

I'd like to think that the streamers I watch and the couple that I subscribe to won't offer exclusives for the $10 and $25 tiers, but you never know. If that happens, I really don't think I can support them any more with views or even a "basic" subscription.

Plus you just know there's going to be that guy that locks all of their emotes behind the $25 tier.

What is the percentage Twitch take?

It varies from streamer to streamer. I believe the "max" that they take is 50% on the monthly $4.99 subscription fee. So for every $5 sub, the Partners get $2.50. I've heard of some Partners getting more than that, but nobody really talks about it.

kadotsu

Banned
Yay, even more obnoxious sub alerts to shit up streams. I'll also love the endless discussions about the subs with the chat.

What is the percentage Twitch take?

historically 50%

i do feel old, i have a hard time parting with my amazon twitch prime sub and it takes me a few days to figure out who to give it to, i've never given a single dollar to anyone else. hey, if kids like it, more power to em

FZZ

Banned
It's funny they're using emotes as incentives for higher sub prices

bc as Twitch gets bigger and becomes more mainstream I see Twitch chat dying or being set to automatically be off, it's legitimately a toxic thing about the site and everyone just puts it off as being toxic and refuses to address any of the problems it has

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I have wondered why Twitch hasn't offered this for a while now. Makes perfect sense for those that can and are willing.

The idea of subscribing to get emotes is hilariously stupid to me.

Many people do this.

The answer to this is simple - never watch streamers that have shitty readouts and sound effects for subs.

There are plenty of great streamers not bothering with that and just keeping on with the game and other fun that isn't obnoxious
Oh trust me, I've transitioned. A lot of good streamers have resorted to this crap, which is a shame.

OIC.

Well if anyone reading this thread knows of a streamer worth $25 a month lemme know. I want to see what a dedicated super-twitch streamer is like.
https://www.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood

His streams are entertaining.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Twitch takes 50% of those subs. So don't expect $25 is going straight to the streamer.

Bigger streamers get more.

Twitch is becoming less about games and more about extracting money from viewers

Third parties have been taking money from Twitch because they didn't offer other ways to give money, so it makes sense for them to offer more options.

Cirruss

It's funny they're using emotes as incentives for higher sub prices

bc as Twitch gets bigger and becomes more mainstream I see Twitch chat dying or being set to automatically be off, it's legitimately a toxic thing about the site and everyone just puts it off as being toxic and refuses to address any of the problems it has

Twitch chat is the best thing about watching streams. The Power Rangers marathon wouldn't have been anywhere near as entertaining without chat. A streamer who keeps a well moderated chat that helps foster a good community enhances the experience a lot.

imBask

Banned
Like, this is great for smaller streamers IMO, but also for bigger streamers... I can't imagine how many of Lirik's sub will switch to the $25 option and just how richer guys like him are going to get

Boke1879

Twitch is becoming less about games and more about extracting money from viewers

Again. It's optional. At least about half of that money does go to streamers.

That said you never have to sub to someone ever if you don't want to. Twitch is big now, but I feel it's really going to grow over the next few years.

Hell you can pretty much do anything on there now. That with the live interaction..It's a great model.

Top Bottom