• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(rumor) Was Nintendo Treehouse playing the retail/full version of Breath of the Wild?

Can anyone comment on the Switch load times versus the Wii U disc? I'm sitting on a pre-order for now, but I'm struggling with a reason to cost justify spending $400 to play Zelda when I have a perfectly good Wii U in the closet collecting dust. All things considered, it seems like right now, the biggest difference between the two versions is 720p compared to 900p.

I don't think it's far fetched to believe that the game was done then ported and delayed for the Switch launch.

The last months of a game's development are for optimizations and small improvements. I don't think anyone is saying the game wasn't mostly done, they're saying that they may have still be actively working on performance improvements and such since they had more time to do so

Until we hear that the game's gone gold, they're still working on it

I don't think it's far fetched to believe that the game was done then ported and delayed for the Switch launch.

That doesn't mean they didn't take the delay to port and enhance/tweak/optimize the game as a whole.

Even tomb raider on ps4 as a port added new features and optimized issues that were present in the Xbox one version.

Xdrive05

I didn't see any of the same slowdown in the Treehouse (ver. 1.0) footage that we see in the floor demo build. There was like two spots where a guardian laser caused a brief hitch for like a half second, but none of the 5-10 second dips to ~20fps like the floor demo has.

Might be something to that theory that the Treehouse build is the release build, and is better optimized than what they were letting people play.

Cuburt

Probably some debug cart just for the Treehouse when they are testing the game and whatnot.

It seems whenever they are doing demonstrations they have special access to menus that allow them to skip to certain parts of the game to show off.

It's probably not the retail version of the game but probably the closest to that that we've gotten to see.

Cuburt

Can anyone comment on the Switch load times versus the Wii U disc? I'm sitting on a pre-order for now, but I'm struggling with a reason to cost justify spending $400 to play Zelda when I have a perfectly good Wii U in the closet collecting dust. All things considered, it seems like right now, the biggest difference between the two versions is 720p compared to 900p.

I'm kind of baffled that I've seen multiple people say this same thing.

Take a look for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgT6KpNnILc&t=0s

I'm still curious how that can be done. The cart is unwritable so the game has to be installed just like any other modern console. But with only 32 GB internal storage, that will be filled up fast.

Can't speak for third parties, but Nintendo's patches will likely be pretty small.

Cuburt

I'm still curious how that can be done. The cart is unwritable so the game has to be installed just like any other modern console. But with only 32 GB internal storage, that will be filled up fast.

No it doesn't.

Did people forget that the 3DS was a thing and that 3DS games got patches?

Smash Bros. comes to mind. It had modes, balance patches, and a DLC shop added later, I believe.

random25

Retail versions always start at Ver. 1.0. It's still not the final game IMO, but it looks to be given that its 1.0.

The Treehouse guys are most likely using the most recent demo build while the one demoed to the other guys is the E3 build ported to the Switch.

Vena

I don't think any of Nintendo's games are ever made in "bunches" as per many major games on other platforms where to change even the smallest thing, you have to download like a quarter or more of the game data because its all in a set.

Generally, their games have always been large unbunched files/code, and this is also why they are easy to dump and look for content/hidden things in the game files. This means, though, that if they have to patch it, they patch small segments of data. The 3DS and WiiU both do it in this fashion, and its outright necessary for the 3DS for similar reasons to the Switch.

Then you get more...I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of this. There have been multiple Wii U games larger than the Basic SKU's 8GB. GAF worries about this issue more than any consumer ever does

Velcro Fly

I've been curious for a while how long the game has been done and how long they delayed the Wii U version to not destroy launch Switch sales.

Justinian

What version do Nintendo first party games launch on? I know first party games are patched, but are day one patches a thing traditionally?

I really want to know if the performance issues (even on 1.0.0) will be either fixed before release or patched very soon after.

random25

What version do Nintendo first party games launch on? I know first party games are patched, but are day one patches a thing traditionally?

I really want to know if the performance issues (even on 1.0.0) will be either fixed before release or patched very soon after.

Everything they launch as far as I know are 1.0.0. In some cases, they send a day 1 patch to enable some features, like online on Smash 3DS.

Any bugs discovered, they send an immediate patch. Like a few days or so, especially if it's something big.

What are you talking about? Did you have to install 3DS games? Or like.. any other cart-based game, ever?

The game is unwritable, like any disc-based game, which means you need a memory card for saves and updates. The Switch uses normal, generic, non-proprietary SD cards for its memory. So if you run out of space for your saves, DLC, or eShop games, you just... buy a bigger memory card like you always have, only this time they'll be incredibly cheap because they're generic SD cards.

Also, it's Nintendo. You didn't need to install games on the Wii or Wii U (save for like, what, two or three? and even then they weren't even the full game)

Peltz

Pretty sure that's not true.... and has never been true.... ever.

Top Bottom