• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii U final specs

A bit of a surprise if true. But not really shocking. Obviously they are doing this for Wii legacy support. Dare I say it?
three Wii's duct taped together :p

Since the Wii won't be using Direct X API's, does it really need Direct 11? DirectX 10.1 and OpenGL 3.3 like functionality will probably be fine for this machine.

The 32MB Mem2 sounds like more legacy Wii hardware too me. Though I am probably wrong.

As for the RAM, 1GB is a bit low. I was expecting it to be the rumored 1.5. Could there be an additional 512MB's in the controller itself?

In true Nintendo fashion.... would you expect anything less from post Wii Nintendo?

I think its moreso the hardware doesn't support DX11, which rules out anything other than the RV700 family, which was active in 2008-2009.

Also, it does have 1.5GB RAM, just 512MB is reserved for the OS.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
We all knew Wii U was like a little improved version of Xbox 360, just as Wii was an improved version of GameCube.

PS3 has more (good) games than any other console right now...

My new STEAMBOX with Big Picture Mode would like a word with you..

Durante

The majority of modern effects will be possible on the Wii U. It's not a Wii/PS360 situation where the Wii's GPU was incredibly outdated at the time of release. The Wii GPU is able to support every game out on the market today (well, nearly).

It's also not difficult to 'swap' out some funky pixel shader for more something more simple. The engines they'll be using will make it a trivial task anyway, since most engines going forward will likely have PC support where scalable graphics are a necessity.

If Wii U does get ports, I doubt it it'll look 'bad'. It'll look worse relatively speaking, but on its own it'll still look decent.
This is true. Graphics are inherently pretty scalable, and the GPU in the Wii U doesn't seem that bad in any case.

However, CPU load is much harder to scale, and it's where the Wii U may end up the most deficient compared to the other platforms. I think that's far more likely to prevent next-gen port-downs than the GPU.

(I somehow feel the urge to dig out dozens of posts to the effect of "don't worry guys it will be awesome, it's a power 7 derivate!")

jerd

Yep. It's gonna be a tough generation for Nintendo. But as always, it's about the games. Right now, nothing has really caught my eyes :\

To be fair they haven't shown jack yet. Hopefully they have something up their sleeve. Will be kind of weird if they launch without showing us anything coming after January 2013. With them selling every console at a profit though, they should be fine as long as they hit within a slightly below average number of console sales.

mclem

Sometimes, it's amazing to see how fucking hard one has to try to get a straight "yes" or "no". It's like some people here have a huge ass chip on their shoulders when it comes to Nintendo.

The point is that it's nothing that's ever really come up in conversation in this context. Your question is certainly not without merit - after all, it was a long time before the Wii could run stuff from SD, and even now it has to jump through hoops somewhat to do so - but the indications generally are that they've moved on from that. Still, we don't actually know, and it is a bizarre thing to not do.

jerd

This is true. Graphics are inherently pretty scalable, and the GPU in the Wii U doesn't seem that bad in any case.

However, CPU load is much harder to scale, and it's where the Wii U may end up the most deficient compared to the other platforms. I think that's far more likely to prevent next-gen port-downs than the GPU.

But does "3 enhanced broadways" really tell us anything? I'm pretty confident that the CPU won't be great, but do we have sufficient info to say that it is bad? Honest question, because I don't know.

The_Lump

Banned
This.....still doesn't tell us anything we didn't know/could have safely assumed. "Enhanced Broadway" means zilch. No details on the GPU. So why the meltdowns?

I think that's far more likely to prevent next-gen port-downs than the GPU.

Who wants that, anyway?

I mean are there that many people buying a Wii U for versions of games that might look slightly better than current gen, don't look better than the PC versions and will definitely pale in comparison to next gen versions?

It seems silly to buy a Nintendo console for anything other than the exclusives to me. I know lots of people have different situations where they can't afford a good PC and all consoles like I can, but still, on GAF I would assume most people would at least be getting a next gen console and/or a gaming PC to go with a Wii U.

Hoo-doo

Banned
No it's not, it's a good idea. It reduces the price of the system and lets everybody handle storage in their own way.

By "letting everybody handle storage in their own way" you mean forcing pretty much anyone to purchase an additional accessory just to take advantage of the Wii-U e-shop? Again, that's money i'd rather spend on games.

360's and PS3's come with 250 GB standard at this point.

McLovin

You can, but it's nowhere as easy as just pugging a 1tb hard drive through usb, and it can be used for other purposes than just wiiu at any time.
Congrats you spun 8gb storage into a good thing. I'm impressed.
I still think they are severely limiting their online store. Most kids can't/won't buy a separate hard drive.

I think its moreso the hardware doesn't support DX11, which rules out anything other than the RV700 family, which was active in 2008-2009.

Well true. But I don' think anyone's surprised that they're using an RV700 based GPU. This has been a rumor since the first announcement of the Wii-U and probably the only rumor that has been consistent through out the development cycle of this machine.

Hopefully so. I would be bad if they had 1GB of shared ram for the OS and games.

i-Lo

Would anyone hazard a guess, given what the hardware rumours, if the console's power consumption will be at par with current PS3, XBOX 360 slim (which is around 90W at most)?

Chittagong

Gold Member
haha, wasn't the Wii CPU already a rejigged GameCube CPU? I must say I will be crazy impressed if they can milk the same investment for a third consecutive generation - it will have been on the market for 20 years when all is said and done (2001 - 2020)

Hopefully

Anything less than 1GB dedicated to games would be the final kick in the nuts that ends this two year roller coaster.

Discomurf

specs are OK as long as theres a slot for one of these... :p

N64expansionpak_box.jpg

Sid

This is Nintendo we're talking about here; the same Nintendo that removed the ability to run games in 480p with a hardware revision to save pennies.
I get what you are saying but having a HDD in one of the models would've helped more since this is the first time their online services will be brought in the spotlight.

Would anyone hazard a guess, given what the hardware rumours, if the console's power consumption will be at par with current PS3, XBOX 360 slim (which is around 90W at most)?

in this regard I hope it's going to be more in line with Wii than PS360 twins, also seeing its total absence of noise and overheating issues.

popeutlal

This is Nintendo we're talking about here; the same Nintendo that removed the ability to run games in 480p with a hardware revision to save pennies.
They also removed the ability to play mp3 files from the Wii photo channel so they wouldn't need to pay for the license.

mclem

I get what you are saying but having a HDD in one of the models would've helped more since this is the first time their online services will be brought in the spotlight.

If it's a problem, all they need to do is release an official bundle. That may even be one of the planned options already.

Raist

Banned
Wouldn't Mem1 be for the OS?

So basically the CPU isn't quite at Xenon/Cell level, the GPU is likely better than RSX/Xenos but then again it has to stream two video feeds at all times (well for games using the controller decently) and twice the RAM.

Quite a big leap beyond the Wii still.

specs are OK as long as theres a slot for one of these... :p

N64expansionpak_box.jpg

I just had a krazy idea. It might be possible for Nintendo to release a chunk of hardware that plugs into the underside of the Wii U controller to turn it into a stand alone handheld. (Not for Wii U games of course) Ideally would need to be able capable of recieving video and audio through the expansion port but it's a thought.

Zee-Row

Banned
What I want to know is how fast their proprietary Blu-Ray drive is gonna be? If it's as fast as the PS3 not having installs is gonna be a killer to the games.

donny2112

Just asking,Nintendo branded HDD's,has that been rumored?

SanDisk released Official Wii SD cards, so there will surely be Wii U-branded HDDs. From Nintendo directly? Doubtful. Making their own HDDs to sell doesn't seem like the kind of thing they do.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if specs will be revealed during the event on the 13th. Probably not, especially if the specs are on the same level as current gen consoles. Hey, you can always hope though.

adelante

I just had a krazy idea. It might be possible for Nintendo to release a chunk of hardware that plugs into the underside of the Wii U controller to turn it into a stand alone handheld. (Not for Wii U games of course) Ideally would need to be able capable of recieving video and audio through the expansion port but it's a thought.

Wii U Controller Plus??

Durante

But does "3 enhanced broadways" really tell us anything? I'm pretty confident that the CPU won't be great, but do we have sufficient info to say that it is bad? Honest question, because I don't know.
I don't want to deal with "bad" and "great" when it comes to hardware. What it does tell us is that it will have fewer cores than the competing consoles, clocked at a lower frequency, and performing less work per clock cycle (if the rumours of the other manufacturers going with a recent x86 architecture are true). If you add all that up then I don't see easy down-ports happening.

So, this is to PS360 what Wii was to PS2 or is the leap bigger?
(this = what is described here, regardless of how accurate it turns out to be)

Top Bottom