• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii U final specs

They seem to be comparing the Wii U to the Gamecube quite a lot. Basically what they said was "numbers don't tell what the actual product can do"

It looks like the Wii U is a next generation Gamecube. Rejoice people!

It is a next gen Gamecube. Unfortunately for Nintendo, that generation launched 7 years ago.

Gemüsepizza;43069607 said:
The GameCube came out 1 year after the PS2, it had a way smaller disk drive and it's height was greater than the PS2.

What I am looking at here is the cooling solution. They have a very small heatsink and a tiny fan. If there is power, you have to get the heat out of the case. But it does not seem like there is much power, unfortunately.

Obviously you didn't read the rest of Iwata Asks. The R&D team said that they litterally spent MONTHS trying to cool the damned thing becasue it was so hot. They got around it by placing small holes all around the edges of the console and having a heatshield guard.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Akagi: I worked on the SDK18 and absolutely love CPUs! (laughs) So I myself have been happy to see how far game consoles have come. I hope people will be impressed by the types of software enabled by the CPU.

Hmm, maybe the CPU doesn't suck after all? :O

Gemüsepizza;43069607 said:
The GameCube came out 1 year after the PS2, it had a way smaller disk drive and it's height was greater than the PS2.

What I am looking at here is the cooling solution. They have a very small heatsink and a tiny fan. If there is power, you have to get the heat out of the case. But it does not seem like there is much power, unfortunately.

We already knew it wouldn't be using much power. I believe 75W at max load an 45 under normal operating conditions is what Iwata said.

Meelow

Banned
They seem to be comparing the Wii U to the Gamecube quite a lot. Basically what they said was "numbers don't tell what the actual product can do"

So Wii U is GameCube's true successor confirmed? Or GameCube 2.

Obviously you didn't read the rest of Iwata Asks. The R&D team said that they litterally spent MONTHS trying to cool the damned thing becasue it was so hot. They got around it by placing small holes all around the edges of the console and having a heatshield guard.

I wouldn't try to reason with him if you looked at his post history :\ it's quite obvious reasoning with him will be quite hard especially Wii U topic wise...
See what I mean... ;)

Wii = 2 Gamecube
Wii U = Gamecube 2

uLVEt.gif

This is probably more accurate, unfortunately.

It is a next gen Gamecube. Unfortunately for Nintendo, that generation launched 7 years ago.

Next Gen Gamecube when comparing this to how state of the art the Gamecube was. The Wii U will perform best with ground up made games, just like the Gamecube did. If you look at the design of the Wii U in that interview, it bears very little resemblance to the Xbox 360 or PS3.

They worked very very hard to get modern performance based on new technology in a small low power package and it wasn't easy. It's a next generation console beyond the HD twins and will be able to perform extremely well even when the next Xbox or Playstation comes out. I think they made it pretty clear in the interview.....I also like how proud Akagi is of the CPU and hope people will be impressed by what it do for the Wii U.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
They worked very very hard to get modern performance based on new technology in a small low power package and it wasn't easy. It's a next generation console beyond the HD twins and will be able to perform extremely well even when the next Xbox or Playstation comes out. I think they made it pretty clear in the interview.....I also like how proud Akagi is of the CPU and hope people will be impressed by what it do for the Wii U.

I'd still like to wait for confirmation on the CPU. The consensus on the GPU and RAM however seem to be good, however.

So you think because there are some small holes and a heatshield guard, the CPU/GPU must be very powerful, even if there is only a tiny heatsink and a tiny fan? The "problems" they had were because they wanted a console with that case for that price.

If the PS4 and Durango are the Original Xbox, then the Wii U is the GameCube.

I think you will be disappointed if you believe this.

Damn, that CPU is tiny. Way smaller than my i5 2500k.

Don't forget the heatspreader is not the size of the CPU. Plus the 2500k includes a 1 more core, a GPU, and a lot more cache than the Wii-U's CPU.

sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-p67,8-4-275044-13.jpg

Edit*

I don't think this image is for Sandy Bridge, but it should give you an idea of the actual size of all that above under the heat spreader on your CPU.

500x354px-LL-ac50dd15_6298053041_586f7445d3.jpeg

Wii U's MCM Frankenstein separated yet joined CPU & GPU:

slide002.jpg

AMD e6760:

images

AMD Fusion:

amd-fusion-chip-370x229.png

The speculation of the e6760 was so close!

I'm thinking that this Frankenstein approach may have been the only way Nintendo could get the Wii U so low on the power consumption, yet yield performance that would possibly be equal or greater than a Fusion design.

The CPU placement definitely is the most interesting part in my opinion.....

It's ALIVE!
young+frankenstein.jpg

An i5 is manufactured on a process 2 generations smaller, and the WiiU CPU still looks like it's 1/4th the die size.

Depends on the i5 you're talking about. He mentioned a 2500k which is 32nm, which is not 2 process generations smaller than what the wii-u CPU is rumored to be at. Besides the fact that you're ignoring that the i5 includes a GPU, another core, way more cache, and other things the Wii U CPU doesn't.

If you stripped a sandy or ivy bridge down to just 3 CPU cores and 1/3 the cache it'd be like 1/4 the die size as well.

Depends on the i5 you're talking about. He mentioned a 2500k which is 32nm, which is not 2 process generations smaller than what the wii-u CPU is rumored to be at. Besides the fact that you're ignoring that the i5 includes a GPU, another core, way more cache, and other things the Wii U CPU doesn't.

If you stripped a sandy or ivy bridge down to just 3 CPU cores and 1/3 the cache it'd be like 1/4 the die size as well.

Umm...45nm has been confirmed by IBM...Either way, you are right. 32nm is only one process generation smaller.

AzaK

slide003.jpg

So guys, how many shaders does this thing have?
I count about 6 big ones (probably used for outdoor scenes) and 10ish smaller ones likely used for items in games.

Ya.

Hmm, maybe the CPU doesn't suck after all? :O
Hehe, I was hoping the discussion would get more into the CPU as I was reading that but alas.

Only a few mentions of the CPU:

"First of all, adoption of a multi-core CPU8 for the first time. By having multiple CPU cores in a single LSI chip, data can be processed between the CPU cores and with the high-density on-chip memory much better, and can now be done very efficiently with low power consumption."

Akagi: "I worked on the SDK18 and absolutely love CPUs! (laughs) So I myself have been happy to see how far game consoles have come. I hope people will be impressed by the types of software enabled by the CPU."

Iwata: "I like the way you say you love CPUs! (laughs) It turned out to be a CPU without any strange habits—one that runs just the way you expect."

It seems very positive about the CPU for what was said about it. It will get the job done.

But what job? Running current gen games without too much optimization? Sure. Running a few nice Nintendo exclusives? Yes. But running Battlefield 4 Nextgen with 64 players and full-scale destruction?

Gemüsepizza;43070970 said:
But what job? Running current gen games without too much optimization? Sure. Running a few nice Nintendo exclusives? Yes. But running Battlefield 4 Nextgen with 64 players and full-scale destruction?

Yes

LCGeek

formerly sane
Next Gen Gamecube when comparing this to how state of the art the Gamecube was. The Wii U will perform best with ground up made games, just like the Gamecube did. If you look at the design of the Wii U in that interview, it bears very little resemblance to the Xbox 360 or PS3.

The ram design is what nintendo has wanted out of cube architecture and never got it out of gc or WII. With a modern design and their philosophy I'm eager to see what capcom, retro, ubisoft, and nintendo will do considering they are the only ones to really push what gc/wii was capable of.

Oersted

are you really trying to compare this gen to the upcoming? so your example-game would have been developt for xbox and probably broken ported towards ps. do we really know enough for playing through all possible scenarios?

Mlatador

Banned

Ok, my friend, calm down. Let's talk. Tell me, how important are graphics to you...

are you really trying to compare this gen to the upcoming? so your example-game would have been developt for xbox and probably broken ported towards ps. do we really know enough for playing through all possible scenarios?

I don't really understand what you are saying, are you suggesting the Wii U is a current gen console? I did talk about a nextgen game and nextgen consoles.

Ok, my friend, calm down. Let's talk. Tell me, how important are graphics to you...

That's actually hilarious. I did not talk about graphics in my example, I did talk about player count and gameplay possibilites. Now, how important is that for you...?

DrNeroCF

Why not? Are you telling me that Battlefield 4 isn't going to come with options to run on lower end PCs?

Money (and publishers and red tape holding back that money) is the only thing that stops ports, not power.

Oersted

Gemüsepizza;43071688 said:
I don't really understand what you are saying, are you suggesting the Wii U is a current gen console? I did talk about a nextgen game and nextgen consoles.

Do we know what will happen Next-Gen? No, we can only guess. And some of these guesses are based on this gen. This gen, games have been build on XBOX 360 and ported towards PS3. What happens if we translate this gen towards the upcoming one? Will it play out the same way just with changed numbers? Will they run your "What if.." game smoothly with atleast 60fps and finally Full HD? Will your " What if .." game even happen? Or will it be a freetoplay flashgame with Smartglass-connectivity?

Considering what happened, I´m afraid I probably have some bad news for you....

after looking at some more photos, I've ntoced taht the RAM is physically separated into two 1GB dies. Interesting...
I see 4 chips of ram, unless those 4... are... something completely different, which I doubt.

slide003.jpg

what he's saying is "Don't judge power by it's size." Gekko was quite literally the size of the tophalf of your thumb (well, at least MY thumb) and it could actually beat out the Pentium III that was in the original XBOX and Sony's Emotion Engine (which actually had a massively inflated theoretical peak performance, kinda like something else *cough cough CELL*) which were both MUCH larger and used more power (untill the PS2 slim).

Agreed with most of it, and yeah, while the cell was oversold (which is an understatement) it still has a performance of ~200 GFLOPS, which is really great for it's electricity output.

Great news that the 32 MB edram is right on the GPU die. That means massive bandwidth and crazy low latency.

Typically that's how eDRAM works, lol..

bdouble

Well from the reactions it seems like Nintendo did what is expected and that they are makn a habit of since the GC. Try to find the ultimate sweet spot in power and price. The Wii was a bit lacking in power and missed a bit in my opinion.

The Wii U is comming out with something not even the GC or Wii had and that is a head start. We dont know what future games will be like but could anyone argue it wouldnt play everything available on Steam right now? So maybe stretch it out a few years and you have Wii U.

All things considered if they strike the same balance of their previous consoles (which they are always trying to do with fast ram low latency ect ect)in just the streamlining of performance and development of game I dont see how they arent in a good spot.

1 MIRRION TROOPS

AzaK

Wii is not 7 years old and it wasn't really a "GC" as far as wonder goes.

If you're meaning the 360, in no way, shape or form can that consoles be considered optimally efficient and elegantly designed.

Wii is not 7 years old and it wasn't really a "GC" as far as wonder goes.

If you're meaning the 360, in no way, shape or form can that consoles be considered optimally efficient and elegantly designed.

I swear to god, one of these days I'm going to have to do a side by side SKU comparison with the launch X360 models vs. the Wii U just to kill this ridiculous garbage. The Wii U has significant advantages over the current models. Comparing it to the launch version of the system and coming up with "comparable" requires nostalgia goggles of the opaque variety.

Top Bottom