• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii U final specs

KageMaru

Well, most likely just one core for that. But since they are (apparently) using Broadway again, they probably thought it would be best to update it to a triple core CPU for general gaming purposes. Shoveling in two different CPU's would be expensive.

But the Wii-U would have all the hardware components necessary for perfect Wii/ GameCube backwards compatibility.

-Three core processor based on Broadway.
-32MB of eDRAM (substitute for the Wii's 24MB of 1T-SRAM?)
-GX2 API with ATI Graphics (Wii had a GX1 API?)
-1GB GDDR3 (I'm speculating that it will be GDDR3) would replace for the Wii's 64MB of GDDR3.

All the hardware would be there.

Actually the Wii-U isn't a perfect fit for BC. Unless there were TEV units in the GPU, the current GPU wouldn't be any more of a fit for BC than say an Nvidia GPU. They are so wildly different than what was in the GC/Wii that it doesn't really matter it's coming from the same company (outside from a licensing POV).

The context of the post was this was the first time the weakest has "won."

It wasn't. PS2 was the least powerful and PS1 was less powerful than the N64.

Counting Saturn and Dreamcast is bizarre world since SEGA was off in their own half generation tangent. Between the real console wars, the past three generation the weakest system has won.

Sega was not in a half gen tangent. The Saturn was well within the 32-bit generation and Sega was in an unfortunate situation with the DC. They didn't have the money to create their own chips like Sony did with the PS2 and they launched right before we saw a pretty big leap in off the shelf parts. If they waited and used newer chips, it would have been more expensive and they would have lost out on their first move advantage.

well... it's nice to believe in an universal rule that the weakest console will win (even with the "Sega doesn't count" exception).

but the reason for the success of Wii, PS2 and PS1 are different.

Wii - cheapest console, motion controller
PS2 - big hype (technolgy monster), dvd player, superior exclusive games
PS1 - cheaper than Saturn and N64, easy to develop for it, first real 3d console for the mainstream target group, great software support because of Nintendo's bad relationship with pretty much all software developers.

Exactly this. There are very specific, logical, reasons why these console "won" their respective wars.

Right, "core" gamers, as I said. They are an increasingly small segment of the market, but as I said, they exist.

I do think it's odd, however, that the supposed "elites" of the gaming world are the most concerned with appearances and superficialities. Imagine if, for example, it was the film buffs who cared about special effects, or the music critics who were wowed by bombastic presentation and high production values! It's an odd situation that's not mirrored in any of the other major media.

Well, the visuals are a more integral part in gaming than they are in film. I think this is due to the interactive nature of gaming versus the passive entertainment found in films.

Its nothing against you, I just love discussion like this :p

Anyway, I definitely think dreamcast was meant to compete with the PS2. Everybody knew a successor was coming. And as far as the whole half-generation thing, PS2 was first announced at E3 about 4 months before dreamcast launched in NA. LOL Sony was really going at Sega back in the day...

Edit:

Heres a good article.

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/february04/ps2timeline/index2.shtml

Yeah how anyone can argue that the DC shouldn't be included in that generation is beyond me.

True, but I would find it amazing if something as important the CPU was radically changing ~1 year before a console goes into mass production.

It didn't change since there was never a Power 7 CPU in the Wii-U. How that tweet is worded can be spun in a few different directions.

Quite amazing that people really believe its just "3 Wii cores" clocked a little higher.

Its a more advanced version of Broadway. The phenom 2 was still based on the K10 architecture wich was Athlon 64 wich was stikll based on the original Athlon (K7). (as an example) They always advance their architectures instead of building it from the ground up every time.

Question about the cpu is "how far advanced" is it? Just assuming its 3 higher clocked unchanged wii cores is stupid.

We at least know that they changed the architecture from an in order to an out of order cpu and it has far more cache than the Wiis Broadway. What else did they add/modify?

Right, as I said, you're strangely limiting it only to home consoles, and then combining the two "powerhouse" consoles, as you call it, in to a single unit. Yes, viewed through that narrow lense, the HD consoles have "won."
How would that be a "narrow lens"? Combining both seems fair when debating the merits of having a high-tech console at launch or not. Let's say there were 500 console manufacturers that each sold a million high-powered consoles for a total of 500 million, but a much less powerful Wii alone sold 100 million, which is more than any of them individually. Would comparing the sales of one of the 500 high-powered consoles vs. the sales of the Wii be a good comparison?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No, I think you're very wrong. You are, for some bizarre reason, limiting this discussion exclusively to home consoles, and then from there conjoining the two "HD" platforms in to one, for some reason, and then also ignoring profits/losses, and only discussing revenue.

Yes, when viewed through that very specific lense, the HD consoles "won." I just think that's an extremely myopic lense.

Likewise I'd discount Facebook games, or other web browser games, as they don't require a considered purchase to access - you just have them on whatever computer you already buy for other activities. I think it's reasonable to limit the discussion to home based games playing devices that you buy specifically for playing games. Widening it to mobile phones, tablets and browser games just confuses the issue IMO

ZoddGutts

Someone translate this into DBZ levels of power plz

Consider current gen Saiyan 1 while WiiU is Saiyan 1 buff up, think when Vegeta thought he had gone Saiyan 2 but not really he was just more buff up. PS4/720p looks to be true Saiyan 2.

Daschysta

Do know exactly what "enhanced" broadway means? I suppose that they would be based on the same architecture, but beyond that do we know what changes Nintendo has made?

1 gig will be fine, especially if it is GDDR5, or nintendo can free up half of the portion dedicated to OS in a future update.

GPU is adequate too.

Not bad, especially at 250, will be a decent jump over current gen no?

The GPU and Ram amount are a sizeable jump over current gen, can we really jump to conclusions before knowing just how "enhanced" (what nintendo changed) with the broadway cores? Coldblooder's example of AMD cpu's being based on eachother seems applicable, if it is heavily customized it could end up being perfectly adequate could it not? Is it really worth jumping off a bridge because of the name of the part?

madmackem

Look what ninty did with wii, games like galaxy and kirby are some of the best looking games this gen imho so with this level of tech im excited to see what they can do first party wise. Come on we all buy ninty consoles for ninty games, this is a massive bump from wii so im excited as hell.

Ridley327

Just what I thought with those specs, WiiU will do current gen graphics but will be at 1080p. Don't expect more than that otherwise you'll be disappointed.

It's arguable that we'll see true 1080p support be much more widespread on the Wii U than it has been on the 360 or PS3. I think what's more likely is that we'll end up seeing more games run at 720p that currently are running at internal resolutions considered to be sub-HD, better textures, more consistent framerates, and better IQ. My expectations of the Wii U have always been "360+++," and thus far, there hasn't been much of anything that's discouraging that line of thinking.

Lhadatt

From the Offical guide Book Diazenshuu;

Farmer – 5
Wii U - 180
Yamcha – 1,450
Goku [Kaioken] – 16,000
Super Saiyan Goku - 11,500,000
Super Saiyan Vegeta - 16,500,000
Super Saiyan Gohan 2 - 300,000,000
Super Buu - 4,000,000,000

So what is that in Raditz?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Right, as I said, you're strangely limiting it only to home consoles, and then combining the two "powerhouse" consoles, as you call it, in to a single unit. Yes, viewed through that narrow lense, the HD consoles have "won."

Profits matter because they indicate investment. For example, let's say Nintendo had decided to sell the Wii for 1 dollar. Would they have "won?" I guess you could call it that, although they might be bankrupt. I don't think that indicates expected market conditions, however. Since this happens to be an industry where some manufacturers loss lead -- often to the tune of billions of dollars -- this can create distortions in consumer preferences.

When I wrote here about the HD approach 'winning', I meant in terms of winning a bigger audience - emerging as the more popular choice. Not winning in the accounts or the balance sheet. I thought that was clear because we were talking about qualities the market cares about, and using system popularity to gauge that.

And for sure I can combine two consoles if they're selling on the same kind of qualities that we're debating the relative popularity of. To compare to your question about movies and why people like blockbusters in the cinema but don't seem to care so much in games...well, really? What I'm saying is, just because the indie theater is more popular in my town than either the UCI or Odeon...does it follow that most people don't care about blockbusters? Not necessarily - not if that UCI and Odeon, with their blockbuster flicks, are actually drawing bigger audiences combined. I can't ignore the fact there are two providers of 'blockbuster' cinema entertainment there. No less, I can't ignore that there are two providers of 'high spec' gaming in the home space, and that they drew a bigger audience this gen.

So that's really the only reason I wanted to pick up on that point...it seemed hazy to me.

If we want to zoom out and look at gaming in general, including in other contexts, in mobile etc. then we're getting into more complicated territory, sure. But that aside I don't think I was narrowing the lens :)

Daschysta

"NINTENDO : WELCOME TO YESTERDAY"

Good luck with 3rd party support this time...

These specs are most certainly going to be closer to the next iteration of Sony and MS consoles than Wii was to PS360. Doubly so if you take into account diminishing returns in regards to the common consumer being able to discriminate between graphical jumps.

Mlatador

Banned
I would guess that on a 3:1 clock ratio to broadway, the Espresso cores would be around 2.187GHz each which might be the maximum clock ceiling the chip is able to reach and probably consuming around 8 Watts. It is possible however that it is only 2:1 ratio at 1.458Ghz which three of these cores will perform about 10% faster than the Xenon if it ran 5 instructions per cycle. We still don't know if there is indeed one main core with more cache.

xenon 2 instructions @ 3.2Ghz x3 cores = 19200 in order instructions

Espresso 5 instructions (similar to power PC G5) @ 1.458GHz x3 cores = 21870 out of order instructions

even at 1.458Ghz the 3 Espressso cores will beat the Xenon and running at only 4 watts.

The Xenon used a lot of one core for sound and the Wii U has a DSP at 120Mhz which will also help. Isn't there also an arm co cpu? Even at this speed it will perform about 1.5x Xenon.

If however it is clocked at a 3:1 ratio on a 729Mhz bus

Espresso 5 instructions (similar to power PC G5) @ 2.187GHz x3 cores = 32805 out of order instructions

+DSP + the arm co cpu will probably perform about 2.5x the Xenon CPU

For reference three of these cores are faster then Xenon.

The GPU is what we would really like to know as well.

If the GPU has 640 alu's and is clocked at 607.5MHz then we are probably looking at over 768GFLOPS in the same vain as a HD7750 which is 819GFLOPS, but performs faster than a 4870 at 1.2TFLOPS. More realistically, the gpu can be clocked at around 486Mhz which would be around 622.1GFLOPS but still perform faster then the 1000GFLOP HD 4850 @500MHz @110w TDP. For reference, the Radeon E6760 is 576GFLOPS @35w TDP also outperforms the HD4850 which is around 5x faster than the Xenos in real world scenarios.

The WiiU also has 32MB Edram which will help with AA especially on 720p with 4xAA looking good. 1080 will also be possible but probably no AA.

The ram being 1024MB as of now alloted for games is over 2x that of the xbox 360 which also used its ram for the OS. The Wii U OS might have 512MB or more currently dedicated to it. This will mean multitasking while playing games is definitely possible.

So we are still basically unknown on some numbers so we don't know but is it possible we are looking at maybe two scenarios with the first one being likely but the second one still possible?

Espresso Tri core clocked at 1.458Ghz or 2.187Ghz (i hope it is the latter)
"Enhanced Broadway" similar to PowerPC 476FP architecture.
3MB L2 Cache
core 0: 512 KB
core 1: 2048 KB
core 2: 512 KB
OoOE
5 instructions per cycle (unknown)
45nm @ 4-8w TDP?

GPU
32MB Edram 4x AA 720p or 1080p no AA
1024 MB Video DDR3 (2GB total) or GDDR5 (1.5GB total)
486Mhz or 607.5MHz (HD4850 performance or HD4870 performance)
640 ALU
Open GL 4.3

The low end will outperform the XBOX 360 probably 2.5x and the high number will be 4.5x
if it was low end I would see $249 with no pack in game but on High End I would see $299 without including the pack in game.

Thank you very much.
I'm not a tech-savvy person, but that is a very interesting read/speculation.

So basically it means, even "lower" clocked cpu's (depending on how they are build and process data [Out of order processing, In Order processing]) can be faster than "higher" clocked cpu's.

Hero

When I wrote here about the HD approach 'winning', I meant in terms of winning a bigger audience - emerging as the more popular choice. Not winning in the accounts or the balance sheet. I thought that was clear because we were talking about qualities the market cares about, and using system popularity to gauge that.

And for sure I can combine two consoles if they're selling on the same kind of qualities that we're debating the relative popularity of. To compare to your question about movies and why people like blockbusters in the cinema but don't seem to care so much in games...well, really? What I'm saying is, just because the indie theater is more popular in my town than either the UCI or Odeon...does it follow that most people don't care about blockbusters? Not necessarily - not if that UCI and Odeon, with their blockbuster flicks, are actually drawing bigger audiences combined. I can't ignore the fact there are two providers of 'blockbuster' cinema entertainment there. No less, I can't ignore that there are two providers of 'high spec' gaming in the home space, and that they drew a bigger audience this gen.

So that's really the only reason I wanted to pick up on that point...it seemed hazy to me.

If we want to zoom out and look at gaming in general, including in other contexts, in mobile etc. then we're getting into more complicated territory, sure. But that aside I don't think I was narrowing the lens :)

Do you actually believe all the stuff you write in your posts?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RAM is okay.
CPU is as expected, speculated and targeted, is okay.

But, 8GB of internal storage? Are you serious? Did the Nintendo is a gen behind thing originate internally or what?

Has to be a joke. The only upside is support for USB hard drives (take notes Microsoft), but isn't an excuse.

apana

people are forgetting that these parts have been custom tweaked by miyamoto's tech wizards to maximize their capacity for nintenflops. it's not about raw numbers, it's about a midichloric concert of pikmenergy which creates more fun per clock cycle than any other console technology.

Sounds good to me.

Well, I think 'high specification' as a philosophy 'won' this generation. Wii may have taken the honours as an individual platform, but more people bought into HD systems than bought into Wii. And that segment alone probably remained flat, if not saw growth, over the whole console industry last gen.

Of course it's more complicated. I'm sure many who bought HD systems didn't buy into them because they were simply powerful, but because they had content they wanted. But then we get into a question of which philosophy the content makers cared more for, and which attracted the content makers more...and that was a matter that certainly seems to have been influenced by 'power'.

So I think Nintendo is right, and finally proved, that you can build compelling entertainment without high spec. But people - more than a dwindling core, and more than Ninendo captured - did care for powerful game machines for whatever reason this gen. I do not know if Nintendo's choices about hardware reflect a reality that 'most people just don't care about power' as much as it reflects Nintendo's desire not to compete with others for the segment of the market that does appear to care. They feel, perhaps wisely, that they are better off taking a punt on things that might light in the market that they can more or less monopolise for a few years. If they fail, they probably won't fail any worse than Nintendo's previous attempts to compete directly with Sony/MS.

Meh I kind of see what you are saying but you are trying to spin it just a bit too much by saying HD "won". Wii clearly was the big winner this generation, Nintendo just lacked the resources or desire to properly support the console and third parties were not on board either.

These specs are most certainly going to be closer to the next iteration of Sony and MS consoles than Wii was to PS360. Doubly so if you take into account diminishing returns in regards to the common consumer being able to discriminate between graphical jumps.

So Sony and MS will not upgrade their cpu's by more then 10%, only add another 512mb of ram and go with a gpu that is even more pathetic then the jump from Wii to Wii U?

Ok.

PS2 launched 16 months after the Dreamcast, not 24. Gamecube launched 18 months after PS2, not 12.

I was going by the 1998 Japanese release date of the Dreamcast. But yeah, you're right. But Sony still did benefit from releasing their hardware after the Dreamcast. No doubt their engineers were pushing the PS2 to stomp on the Dreamcast hardware wise. Just like how MS designed the Xbox to have superior hardware over the PS2. Nintendo seemed to have designed the Game Cube to have "satisfactory" hardware that would still be in the same ballpark as the PS2 and Xbox. But they didn't seem to be pushing for the highest end hardware of that generation., even though the Gamecube was a really well balanced.

Still, the argument holds - the strongest machine hardly ever attains the highest market share, even if the winner isn't necessarily the weakest.

Oh, I totally agree, no denying that. The best hardware isn't usually the winner. Nintendo proved that with the Wii. The original GameBoy was hopelessly underpowered compared to the Atari Lynx (and had no colour screen), but that didn't stop it from dominating the market. The DS outsold the PSP everywhere and wasn't exactly a high end either. The 3DS is doing the same to the PSV to a lesser degree.

Thank you very much.
I'm not a tech-savvy person, but that is a very interesting read/speculation.

So basically it means, even "lower" clocked cpu's (depending on how they are build and process data [Out of order processing, In Order processing]) can be faster than "higher" clocked cpu's.

It can be faster but it is not magically faster. Unfortunately we still don't have the info that we need so all we can do is speculate and probably even well after launch we will continue to do so. However it looks like the Wii U will be a very good machine that will port well with current and next gen while having its very own exclusive hook.

I will pay $299 max for it though ;) for any console lol.

Daschysta

I wonder how nintendo will promote Wii U because looking at things there is no reason for X360/ps3 people buy something which will be only slightly powerfull than their consoles.

Also i don't believe they will release it for 249$ because controller has a big lcd screen so it must be costly for them.

I think they hoping for Wii like succes with their new controller.

As of 8GB storage, stop dreaming people about external HDD. It's nintendo.

We know we can use external harddrives.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Where are you getting 5 OPs per clock from again?
From 970, apparently (as he noted). In reality, the original Broadway (aka 750cl) did 4 fetches + 2 issues + 1 branch (+speculative) per clock.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
No optical out means after 10 years I need to upgrade my sound system.

:(
I see this complaint all of the time and feel like I'm missing something here. Can't you just do hdmi to your tv then use optical from your tv to feed the channel to your system? That's what my family does for their Sound system.

Het_Nkik

I see this complaint all of the time and feel like I'm missing something here. Can't you just do hdmi to your tv then use optical from your tv to feed the channel to your system? That's what my family does for their system.

My TV has HDMI in but no optical out.

Hopefully Nintendo makes a cord that has optical out on it like old Xbox 360s had.

hatchx

Banned
RAM is okay.

But, 8GB of internal storage? Are you serious? Did the Nintendo is a gen behind thing originate internally or what?

Has to be a joke. The only upside is support for USB hard drives (take notes Microsoft), but isn't an excuse.

This has been rumoured since last e3, and there were long threads about it. It's hardly shocking now that it is confirmed.

....as someone who owns a ton of harddrives and is tired of being limited to a size (PS3) or having to purchase additional proprietary drives (360) I am quite happy with this. You can get a 350gig harddrive for 70 bucks.

Mithos

I see this complaint all of the time and feel like I'm missing something here. Can't you just do hdmi to your tv then use optical from your tv to feed the channel to your system? That's what my family does for their system.

Most TV's don't output anything else then stereo when do this, that's what my HD-CRT does, and it's what my LCD HDTV does, output stereo-sound on the output ports, and ofc its so on the red/white output on the CRT, but its stereo also on the optical output the LCD has even if feeding DTS/DD over HDMI to the LCD-TV.

Foxix Von

Yeah that's a really bad way of doing it as the vast majority of televisions won't pass anything but a stereo signal through. Unless there is some sort of optical adapter for this thing I'm definitely passing on the system. Like hell I'm buying a receiver all over again just because one product doesn't support an industry standard.

Cool info. Thanks. The first rumors tell that Wii U is something like 4x the power of 360, so maybe it is the High end possibility.

IMO, I think it's better to not keep our hopes up, and just assume it's around 2X as powerful as 360 at least. The higher expectations we have, the more we'll be let down when it gets revealed that it's not 4X as powerful.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Not surprised with those specs. Never underestimate Nintendo's frugality. Whatever is good enough will work for them, I suppose. It has to be commanded that they've been able to reuse the Dolphin technology for three generations in a row. Talk about efficiency. Seems that anyone who worked on the NGC or Wii before should somehow be at home with the console since it seems to carry a lot from the Wii. Also, the GPU and RAM alone should make the system visual better than the PS360 so I'm not too worried about it's value down the line. After all, it's all about the games.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
RAM is okay.

Of all the things for people to freak over, the 8GB... wasn't this a solid rumor for like a year now?

The entry level Xbox 360, priced to hit the mass market, only comes with 4GB of flash memory and expects the user to buy a hard drive if they're going to go big on digital downloads.

Wii U isn't going to be a 400 dollar console aimed purely at the enthusiast market, so 8GB of flash + lower price + the ability to buy a reasonably priced HDD and plug it in = not a bad situation in context.

Plus I think Nintendo would be loathe to put a HDD inside the console itself, not just for cost reasons, but support. Something with a higher failure rate than flash memory, more complexity for the average user to deal with (Wii audience), etc.

Foxix Von

There's no mention of sound at all so I still refuse to imagine they'd be stupid enough to not support DD/DTS.

I don't think it'd be stupid from their perspective at all. Nintendo has a very long tradition of not paying licensing fees. Supporting DD/DTS means doing just that and they definitely seem to be prioritizing affordability.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
My TV has HDMI in but no optical out.

Hopefully Nintendo makes a cord that has optical out on it like old Xbox 360s had.
Ahh I see.

Most TV's don't output anything else then stereo when do this, that's what my HD-CRT does, and it's what my LCD HDTV does, output stereo-sound on the output ports, and ofc its so on the red/white output on the CRT, but its stereo also on the optical output the LCD has even if feeding DTS/DD over HDMI to the LCD-TV.

Yeah that's a really bad way of doing it as the vast majority of televisions won't pass anything but a stereo signal through. Unless there is some sort of optical adapter for this thing I'm definitely passing on the system. Like hell I'm buying a receiver all over again just because one product doesn't support an industry standard.

Thanks guys I understand now.

Triple U

Banned
Sounds good to me.

Meh I kind of see what you are saying but you are trying to spin it just a bit too much by saying HD "won". Wii clearly was the big winner this generation, Nintendo just lacked the resources or desire to properly support the console and third parties were not on board either.

I don't think its spin at all, he has a very clear and concise point. Its about one particular system versus another.

and thank god, allah, buddha, jehovah, yahweh, lafayette ron hubbard and the force for that

I pray to God we don't get Homebrew channel on the Wii U. Don't want wii hackers coming back, no thank you. If it means not being able to play pirated games or modding games like Brawl(which I'm not interested in either), it's more than worth it for me.

Top Bottom