• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Dead Space 4 Cancelled Following Poor DS3 Sales [EA: "Patently False"]

Truant

I think they had the winning recipe with the "open ended" spacewalk section. Felt like a natural progression from DS1. Shame the game kinda sucked after that.

Zabka

Maybe sales will pick up when mainstream gamers find out that there's lots of crap to waste real money on in the game.

Yawnier

Banned
People will probably be clamoring for Dead Space 4 some years from now assuming this is totally true, just like how there a quite a few people clamoring for Mirror's Edge 2 (both are from EA).

mclem

Make game more action, against fans request, to get more sales. Game gets less sales. Next game gets axed because of less sales.

EA, how about you listen to what people want, rather than assuming what you think they want?

I think EA's logic is simply that 'fans' is not a large enough group to sustain the costs of development. Whether that's a correct conclusion is another matter, of course, but lower development costs would make that a whole lot easier.

Sscia

Neo Member
Can't we just axe EA?
I mean, just stop buying their titles for a whole year.
It will kill all the titles EA currently owns, but better we have that control than them.

People will probably be clamoring for Dead Space 4 some years from now assuming this is totally true, just like how there a quite a few people clamoring for Mirror's Edge 2 (both are from EA).

Given the treatment of the series, I don't know. EA is only getting worse.

T.O.P

Banned
Srsly, fuck off EA, i loved the first two games to death :(

Will buy DS3 on the next Steam sales probably, i'm now curious to see how bad it is

Why can't the publisher see this though? Just throwing money away and in the end it's costing people's jobs

I'm not even sure why AoT3 was greenlit to begin with. I think that it was Nirolak that posted the series' sales and the sequel sold less than half of what the original did. And the original wasn't some run away hit in the first place (it sold around 2.5m). They would've been better off working on a new IP.

Sidzed2

Hey EA, why not reduce your budget and sales targets and allow your developers to make the sort of game that they want to make? If it's good, people will come.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think EA's logic is simply that 'fans' is not a large enough group to sustain the costs of development. Whether that's a correct conclusion is another matter, of course, but lower development costs would make that a whole lot easier.

If EA had a brain they would make less expansive, less expensive sequels to games like Dead Space. Space horror is not a genre that is ever going to be more than a 2-3 million seller.

steven28

I'm not really bothered by the news i wanted visceral to move on to something new anyway.Dead space 3 was a decent game but it was the worst of the 3 ds games imo.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
That is a shame, I loved Dead Space 1 and 2, I hadn't got round to DS3 but going from the demo, reviews, and general forum talk here about how they have dudebro'd it or screwed up a bunch of things I wasn't looking forward to it.

Why EA, why do you continue to do this? Back when you gave us Mirror's Edge and Dead Space we were pretty happy with you taking a chance on new IP's; but now, after you already wrecked Mass Effect and Dragon Age you kill off one of your few original IPs from this gen.

It's some kind of EA curse. DS3, ME3... what's next, Dragon Age 3?

I think EA managed to peak early with Dragon Age and managed it by the second one.

Srsly, fuck off EA, i loved the first two games to death :(

Will buy DS3 on the next Steam sales probably, i'm now curious to see how bad it is

It's a step down, and perhaps a tumble down the stairs. It's pretty. That's about it. The usual Dead Space but the horror is mostly gone, jump scares are ineffective. There's no creepy atmosphere to be seen. No moments like the
Ishimura
in Dead Space 2.

Copenap

If they would at least sell the IP. Dead Space is a series I could easily see doing well with a medium'ish budget catering to the fanbase of 1 and 2 without the need to sell 5+ million copies.

bud23

Can´t believe it.

Honestly, after that crap called DS3, I can´t say I´m sad to see this go. Typical EA, no matter how much potential a franchise has, they always find a way to ruin it. That´s dedication.

Mirror's Edge, you ready?.

So they continue on their path of killing every good IP they have. Glad sony isn't like this. Or Infamous and 90% of their other Ips would be killed.

That's true. They would only be pumping out GT, Uncharted and GoW every year. They obviously need to cancel franchises that loose money but they don't mind having lots of games with less than spectacular profits so they can have a nice variety in their portfolio.

Remember Dead Space 1 and Mirror's Edge? Back when EA were committed to new IP?

Back when I started to like EA.

So much for that.

nobody bought Mirror's Edge... so what is EA supposed to do? the gamers by and large didn't want the game. so why exactly should they make a new one? EA isn't a charity.

i'm not defending them though, i absolutely hate how they pressured Visceral to make Dead Space "appeal to a more broad base". since WHEN has trying to please everyone worked out well in the end? they should have just let Visceral do what they want with the series, but perhaps give them a lower budget so there's less of a risk. a horror game doesn't need a massive budget anyway.

i think many of us gamers are tired of seeing potentially very good games trying too hard to appeal to the lowest common denominator... it's just so obvious these days, it disgusts me. i want developers to make exactly the kind of games THEY want to make, games that they can be proud of.. not spend their precious development time trying to figure out how to manipulate players into microtransactions and focus test everything into oblivion.

DocSeuss

It's some kind of EA curse. DS3, ME3... what's next, Dragon Age 3?

ME2 and DA2 were both godawful. Then again, BF3 was really bad.

If anything, DS2 is an anomaly.

nobody bought Mirror's Edge... so what is EA supposed to do? the gamers by and large didn't want the game. so why exactly should they make a new one? EA isn't a charity.

i'm not defending them though, i absolutely hate how they pressured Visceral to make Dead Space "appeal to a more broad base". since WHEN has trying to please everyone worked out well in the end? they should have just let Visceral do what they want with the series, but perhaps give them a lower budget so there's less of a risk. a horror game doesn't need a massive budget anyway.

i think many of us gamers are tired of seeing potentially very good games trying too hard to appeal to the lowest common denominator... it's just so obvious these days, it disgusts me. i want developers to make exactly the kind of games THEY want to make, games that they can be proud of.. not spend their precious development time trying to figure out how to manipulate players into microtransactions and focus test everything into oblivion.

They should get smaller teams to work on the games, stop worrying about maximum profitability (which is an absurd idea anyways--traditionally, in a free market economy, focusing on profits isn't what you would be doing right now, but that's pretty much the only thing corporations seem to do these days, because yay stock market and shareholder right stuff), and MAYBE NOT MAKING SUCH A SHORT FUCKING GAME THAT IT WAS A COMPLETE WASTE OF FIFTY DOLLARS.

THREE HOURS?

THREE. HOURS?

FOR FIFTY DOLLARS?

WHAT

Mirror's Edge should have been $10.

Devs need to learn from Hollywood: cater to various audiences. Instead of trying to make everything appeal to everyone, make a wide variety of things. See how Fox makes movies like Prometheus (and note that they kinda let Ridley Scott do whatever he wanted there, because he's the creator and they're just suits and they fucking know it), then turns around and releases movies through Searchlight.

Game publishers are fucking themselves up by putting all their eggs in one basket.

Zizbuka

Banned
DLC and microtransactions will kill this industry yet. When I see a new game, which instantly has DLC available, I just avoid it. Too many other games to play, don't need to bother.

I remember buying Dragon Age Complete. I was walking through a forest, and got to a new area progression. Then I get a message that I need to buy DLC to go further. I'm keeping my gaming simple now.

The series never sold well for the production budget it had. Dude bro version or not it was probably doomed.
I thought this too, that it seemed like a lot of money was going in for a reasonably successful game, but not equivalent to the expected return on investment.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
After DS3, I'm never buying an EA game again. They've gone too far. I will find another means of playing their games, like gamefly. If they lock out content with online passes, I don't care. I still won't buy shit.

I've not bought an EA game this gen, and come to think of it, last gen either. They're one of the most insipid, soulless companies. I fart in their general direction.

Can't say I'm surprised. As soon as it was announced that this would be more action orientated I knew this would happen. I fucking love DS1 & 2 too. DS3 just doesn't appeal to me at all.

meta4

So sad to hear. I knew this series was screwed when I was laughing my ass off while playing the DS3 demo,at the enemies that were pretending to be scary. What a fall from a very well made Dead Space 1.

RIP.

Domstercool

True. I agree with costs, totally. They should have tried to keep it within the same budget as Dead Space 2.

Something obviously went wrong though, since Dead Space 2 sold more than Dead Space 3, and I can only think that fans that did not want it after hearing what had happened to the game, is one of the main reasons for getting less sales.

I have yet to buy it myself, because the action side puts me off. I plan to get it in a sale instead.

I shudder to think how much money they must have pissed away on co-op that had a detrimental effect on the single player experience and bloated cringe worthy narrative intrusions. Should have kept it lean mean and focused on good gameplay and maybe they wouldn't have had to risk the franchise on ludicrously optimistic sales expectations.

Well said

web01

No surprise if true. The ruined any goodwill the fans had for this series.
Game was a shit-fest dude bro co op shooter with micro transactions.
I hope EA runs themselves into the ground, at the least it might mean some of the developers they are involved with can break free
from their terrible oversight.

pozcfphz4016jxj.jpg

I really enjoyed Dead Space 3, it was better than Dead Space 2 as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah I agree, I thought that DS3 was way better than DS2, and even better than DS1 in many ways. The space/orbit stuff was awesome and atmospheric and the scope of the game was so much bigger than the first one.

The only really bad part was fighting humans, but even that was kind of fun once you had a stasis coated javelin gun :)

teeny

When all games look and feel the same, sales will inevitable drop off. Your game starts having a lot more competition and people get bored of playing different games that all feel the same. Plus we are at that point in the generation where interest dwindles in software for aging consoles.

I liked Dead Space, and it is a real shame it fell victim to EA's insane policies.

I really hope that development budgets will even out next generation, and we will experience the return of the "B" games; more niche games that don't have a massive budget and a huge marketing push that are smaller in scope and technical prowess, can be sold at a lower retail price and, most importantly, don't have to sell five million copies before profitability.

Top Bottom