• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOUR) RDNA 4 Will Not Have Any High End GPU’s

Bernoulli

M2 slut
This might mean that nvidia is bringing back the Titan and AMD can't compete with that

RX 8600 andt RTX 5060 to cost 600 with 5% more performance than RX 7600

MTY4hYD.jpg

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Almost certainly a generation to skip I guess.

Though hopefully Battlemage is atleast 4070Ti/3090 tier.

squarealex

Let's use the RDNA 2 6000 series as an example, 6600 will be the low end and the 6900 will be the high end, XT and other such variants are similar to Nvidia's Ti and Super.

What's in the PS5 and Series X is something close to a 6600 I think.
Hmm... I see. I was thinking AMD reset the number once they started RDNA 1 when Zen 1 coming.
Thank you

Smiggs

If the rumour is true it means we might not get high end RDNA 4 graphics cards. Curious to see how this will impact Nvidia’s strategy with Blackwell (50 Series) especially when it comes to pricing.

To the moon, baby!!! They will either be more affordable like the 30 series was compared to Turing (lol), or they're gonna lean in on fucking us peasants real good like. I'd bet on the latter.

GHG

Somehow people who like "competition" will find a way to make this decision Nvidia's fault.

Buggy Loop

I can’t believe I’m gonna say something positive for AMD..

winjer winjer

weekend playing GIF

But this is the most logical move

Intel will be dangerous in mid range market and they have more market share to lose to Intel than Nvidia.

High end cards are niche, like ~1 to 2% userbase. This is not how Nvidia takes a chunk of the market share either, everything plays out in the xx60 xx70 range.

They probably can’t compete against Nvidia high end, next gen with all the AI chip design and AI foundry optimization with MCM and so on, they probably have a monster. But an expensive one. For all the R&D it would cost AMD to compete against it, it would barely break 1%, just look at 7900XTX, just now it broke into steam hardware survey after all this time.

So concentrate on mid range killer. That’s what Intel is doing also strategy wise.

Makes total sense to me

Last edited:

MikeM

Hope its not true- we need more competition in this segment, not less.

7900xtx just charted on Steam didn’t it? Sales can’t be that bad?

Honestly AMD needs to focus on the low and mid range cards market, if they can make cards that can kill Nvidia's xx50 xx60 xx70 lineup price/performance wise they'll take up a significant share of the market as opposed to enthusiast high end market.
If you can make the best offer in low end, you should be able to add more cores/CUs/chiplets whatever for high end as well and win there too. But imho Nvidia tech advantage shows even more in low end, where neither really compete properly, where "old" A2000 and current Ada 4000 show what is possible with a few watts while AMD has practically nothing there beside intregated APUs which offer less, the lowest range, but also for less watt and no need for a GPU at all.
They, and we, need a Zen and Epyc moment from their GPU research and not scale down. Probably should have done extra RT cores too as Nvidia and Intel, and not force that stuff inside the regular stuff or just double down on no RT and compete in a GTX legacy realm. For now that might have worked fine, but the next gen probably really needs RT and now they are stuck with their one size fits all design which never was good for RT.

winjer

Gold Member
I can’t believe I’m gonna say something positive for AMD..

winjer winjer

weekend playing GIF

But this is the most logical move

Intel will be dangerous in mid range market and they have more market share to lose to Intel than Nvidia.

High end cards are niche, like ~1 to 2% userbase. This is not how Nvidia takes a chunk of the market share either, everything plays out in the xx60 xx70 range.

They probably can’t compete against Nvidia high end, next gen with all the AI chip design and AI foundry optimization with MCM and so on, they probably have a monster. But an expensive one. For all the R&D it would cost AMD to compete against it, it would barely break 1%, just look at 7900XTX, just now it broke into steam hardware survey after all this time.

So concentrate on mid range killer. That’s what Intel is doing also strategy wise.

Makes total sense to me

That is true, but there is one thing to consider.
A modern GPU arch is made to scale with CUs or SMs. The low end is identical to the ultra high end. It only changes the amount of stuff in them.
The thing that changes is the die size. And this requires new masks for wafer production. Each costs a few million dollars.
So basically we have 3 or 4 masks, one for each die size. And then these can be binned by defect density, to make a few more skus.
AMD must be predicting that they won't sell enough high end GPUs, to make up he cost of making the masks for it.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Good.

Focus on the mid ranges, and lower end. That’s the majority of buyers. That’s where the competition is.

Leave the ultra high end all to Nvidia. It’s a segment AMD or Intel will never win.

I don’t agree. Even my 9700 xt beats the 4090 in pure raster performance in a lot of games. Nvidia beat them to rt but they will catch up In the next few gens.

Buggy Loop

Probably saving wafers and TSMC production for their AI cards.

True that

I’ll be surprised that Nvidia doesn’t cut somewhere either, AI has way more margin than gaming and there’s only so much silicon wafers and production time slots at TSMC / Samsung in a year.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Nvidia also cuts somewhere

VRAM, they will cut in VRAM, the bulk of it is going to AI 😂

StereoVsn

They literally are. Nvidia is sold out of AI hardware for the next 18 months.

Yep, big thing with all the tech companies right now is who can get enough Nvidia GPUs.

Rumor is Nvidia basically reduced 4000 series manufacturing to a bare minimum (contract min for TSMC) and rest is going to it's server GPUs for AI work.

Gamers are f-d basically. Nvidia can hold high prices since gaming sales are a side job right now, AMD's "efforts" are terrible, and Intel has years before they catch up. Oh and Intel and AMD are super interested in AI sales as well.

T4keD0wN

No high end products, but it will most definitely have high end pricing.
I want amd to do better if only just so that i can buy nvidia cards for less.

Last edited:
Top Bottom