• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] XBOX 360 to be discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Microsoft aims to boost Xbox One sales and force developers to focus on it's current platform

how does discontinuing a product that is currently selling to a different market than XB1 achieve any of that?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
At some point retailers are just gonna not want to keep stocking all of the old shit as shelf space in stores is a premium. At some point the retailers will make the push for Sony and MS.

Damaniel

Banned
Not a chance. That thing will live on as a Minecraft machine for at least a couple years yet (the 360 is still the top platform for Minecraft according to NPD). People buying a console on a 360-level budget aren't really in the market for the XB1.

JCX

Exactly. Trying to force customers hands to bolster the sales of their current platform. I think it's a bad move IF true.

They aren't taking anyone's 360 away. Games ill still come out for it and it has a large library of great games. It'd be one thing if Live were getting shut down, but it isn't being shut down this year as far as we know.

Why not reposition it as a low cost HD budget gaming machine? I mean hell, the standard 250gb version is like $100+ less than the One, two pieces of tech separated by nearly a decade. Drop the price to $129, and permadrop the games on xbox live and in-store to bargain bin prices.

This is exactly what they did with the OG Xbox, so I wouldn't necessarily be surprised

Exactly. Trying to force customers hands to bolster the sales of their current platform. I think it's a bad move IF true.

COMPLETELY different situation, the OG XBox was a money pit from day one, MS killed it because their shitty deal with NVIDIA and Intel (who I wouldn't be surprised wanted to end production of that CPU since I imagine they wouldn't allow another party to produce it) prevented them from ever turning a profit on the hardware. They're still making money off the XB360, killing that revenue stream before it dries up would be stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom