• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune: Ragnarok announced (Human Head)

I'm curious - Why exactly is Bethesda singled out for what they did?

Their behavior towards Human Head was in line with how the entire rest of the AAA publishing sphere conducts acquisitions.

That's not to excuse the rest - But why did we wait to single out Bethesda after 2 decades of Activision, EA, Ubisoft, and others doing the same shit?

Because I like HH as a dev, so I will focus out the antagonist that messed em up? Also, I will happily point out all the shit EA and others have done over the years.

tuxfool

Banned
That's not to excuse the rest - But why did we wait to single out Bethesda after 2 decades of Activision, EA, Ubisoft, and others doing the same shit?

I'm not aware of the other studios attempting to bankrupt and sabotage a project in order to acquire a studio.

Certainly there are some flavours of this story in other instances from other publishers, but as far as we know this one is fairly shitty all round.

BigEmil

About Gods and in Norse mythology?

They probably saw the new God of War then proceeded with this

Its not a PS2 game. Looking at that variant's reception it seems it didnt translate well at all on its conversion from PC to a console and a controller. Get it on GOG for a revisit
It was ported to PS2 in 2001 under the name Rune: Viking Warlord. I played the shit out of it. Beating enemies to death with their fallen comrades severed heads and arms brought my teenage self great joy. Game was hard as heck though

lol, didn't even bother to read some of the posts in the thread.

It's the sequel to a hack and slash pc game of the early noughties which shared the same premise. (Or are you suggesting that they are reviving the IP only because of God of War? That seems honestly far fetched)

Also, I hope that this will sell gangbusters because

1) I like Human Head output
2) Fuck Bethesda

I remember playing the Rune demo back in the day, probably from a PC Gamer demo cd. It was fun, but I never did get the full game. In any case, I'm always up for revival of early 2000's PC games. That was the golden age of PC gaming for me personally.

Ravelle

Oh wow, I was just thinking about Rune when I played through HellBlade.

Time to eat apples and snakes and chop up some dudes!

cackhyena

They forced Human Head to can Prey 2 when it was essentially competed.

The Prey we got in return was a pretty great game but they still royally fucked them over.

Oh then yep I'm right with y'all. That Prey was my most anticipated for years. Goddamnit every time I think about it.

Com_Raven

That awkward feeling when you have no idea what you are talking about. They have tried to make a sequel to Rune (which came out in 2000!) for many years now.

Sometimes, games can exist and be discussed without desperately trying to make it about Sony and PS4, you know?

Arcteryx

I remember playing the Rune demo back in the day, probably from a PC Gamer demo cd. It was fun, but I never did get the full game. In any case, I'm always up for revival of early 2000's PC games. That was the golden age of PC gaming for me personally.

haha I've actually still got that CD with this on it.

Jawmuncher

Nice. Glad to see Human Head back and doing something. Though I will say a part of me wanted them to work on their own sci-fi bounty hunter game to spite Bethesda.

FelipeMGM

I was hoping that they could find a loophole to make a game similar to what Prey 2 was, but this is pretty cool too

oh boy lol

you never cease to impress me man

jmizzal

Human Head last big game was Batman Arkham Origins for WiiU

After Prey 2 was canceled didnt think they would come back to something big like this.

No platforms so the waiting begins

cackhyena

They didn't "simply" cancel it, that's what really bothers me. Watch this video, or have a look at threads such as this.

3469268532.gif

mindatlarge

Played a little of Rune a couple years ago and enjoyed it. Would be interested in seeing it given the modern day treatment for sure.

Croash

I did not know Rune, but I knew Prey and eagerly waited for Prey 2.

Fuck everyone involved in this game's cancellation and HH buyout shenanigans.

Glad to see that not only Human Head lives, they're even making a sequel to a classic so many years later. Hopefully nothing stops them.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So not only was Human Head behind the cancelled sequel to Prey, they showed off gameplay footage. I thought the only thing available was the CG trailer. I had no idea. No wonder people are so attached to that game.

Icing on the cake is one of the devs saying that demo was kind of old and buggy and not really something they were proud of showing, apparently the game was much further along than what was shown.

But Bethesda moved milestones around to fuck them over. As they're prone to do :/

I'm rather excited after how good the original looked (sadly never played it back in the day but always wanted to) and how great Prey 2 looked.

Is it going to be third person like the original?

ekim

Oh I loved the original Rune so much. <3
Die by the Sword, Deathtrap Dungeon and Rune. All sooo good games.

RuhRo

Really want them to do a cyberpunk parkour bounty hunter game delivering on the promise of Prey 2.

Last edited:

Bl@de

Open world RPG? Well, curious to see if it's an actual RPG or "We include some experience bar, unimportant skills and call it RPG"

Top Bottom