• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian man volunteers for world's first human head transplant

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a scam. If this technology existed he would easily be able to prove it in a mammalian model or a non human primate.

Edit: for those touting the monkey and dog attempts, I really hope you're not discounting the dimentia and premature death.

Hopefully they record everything and release it, would be cool to watch an edited version. Hopefully it'll work out, the guy can't really lose anything except his constant misery and at least it'll provide useful info.

Timeaisis

What I want to know is where do they get the donor body. Is it like from some dude that volunteers or something? If that person is dead, wouldn't the donor body be kind of dead already? Because that person had died, so something obviously was wrong with them.

I'm confused.

M3d10n

What I want to know is where do they get the donor body. Is it like from some dude that volunteers or something? If that person is dead, wouldn't the donor body be kind of dead already? Because that person had died, so something obviously was wrong with them.

I'm confused.

AFAIK most organs are harvested from donors who had brain death, but whose bodies are still kept alive through life support... because without a minimum functional brain the body will die since many vital functions (like breathing) are actually controlled by certain parts of the brain.

The problem with this procedure is that it needs to cut the spinal cord at its "root". If reattachment doesn't happen, the patient will be quadriplegic and be unable to breath without a ventilator. In the volunteer's case, however, that might not be too bad since at least his new body's heart will still be beating... but then there is the whole rejection problem. If the body begins rejecting the head, the results will be catastrophic.

E-Cat

So... the guy has now "successfully" done a transplant on a monkey's head:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...osurgeon-sergio-canavero-claims-a6822361.html

Dr Canavero says that the success shows that his plan to transplant a human’s head onto a donor body is in place. He says that the procedure will be ready before the end of 2017 and could eventually become a way of treating complete paralysis.

“I would say we have plenty of data to go on,” Canavero told New Scientist. “It’s important that people stop thinking this is impossible. This is absolutely possible and we’re working towards it.”

The team behind the work has published videos and images showing a monkey with a transplanted head, as well as mice that are able to move their legs after having their spinal cords severed and then stuck back together.

However, this wording strikes me as peculiar:

The monkey head transplant was carried out at Harbin Medical University in China, according to Dr Canavero. The monkey survived the procedure “without any neurological injury of whatever kind,” the surgeon said, but that it was killed 20 hours after the procedure for ethical reasons.

Will the human subject have to be terminated in the end for similar 'humanitarian reasons'?

I suspect the pain was too much for the monkey. Pain management is easy with humans

While possibly true, it does nothing to prove the long-term success of the procedure in dealing with the dozens upon dozens of post-op complications which may occur. Case in point, the article notes that the same procedure was already done "successfully" decades earlier but the body rejected the head after 9 days, while this procedure only left the subject alive for 20 hours before terminating it. This guy is still an attention-whoring asshole and in breach of just about every code of medical ethics in existence. If he actually had the ability to repair spinal cords he'd start by simply repairing damaged spinal cords in paraplegics/quadriplegics (something which would actually help MILLIONS of people RIGHT NOW) instead of jumping straight to cutting people's heads clean off (something which even in best case scenarios would only help maybe a few thousand, and that's assuming they could find a fully intact functioning donor body given that just normal single organ donation is crazy hard enough), but that of course wouldn't get him as much venture capital from unwitting dupes who buy into his bullshit and take potential investment away from actual legitimate medical research. Fuck this guy six ways to Sunday, making a mockery of the medical and scientific profession.

I wish the guy the best. He knows the chances are slim to none, he's just resigned himself to the attempt because he doesn't believe life is worth living in his current state.

I wish the guy the best. He knows the chances are slim to none, he's just resigned himself to the attempt because he doesn't believe life is worth living in his current state.

He's been lied to by an enterprising businessman who will never actually perform the procedure. If he ever did, it would almost certainly be a complete failure or a pyrrhic enough success as to end his career. This is a ploy to fool people who don't know any better either to fund some other bit of crackpot "research" he's carrying out or buy himself a few new jumbo jets while the fun lasts, and this poor Russian man is an innocent pawn in all of it.

there was some russian scientist(s?) who transplant "successfully" thr head of a dog afair.
that was decades ago and the dog only lived for a very short time. there is even a supercreepy video available

Fluvian

Banned
Wow that's some deep shit. I hope the operation is successful, and if it's not......I hope the guy feels no pain in the end.

Senoculum

My father worked in medical technologies, and there are a lot of expensive equipment that makes transplants a lot easier. The article did say 100 surgeons were going to operate. I don't think it's a bullshit claim, I just think it's super expensive. They'd need to have a constant supply of oxygen, and procedures to keep the heart pumping and the body electrified. I personally think it's only a matter of time this procedure becomes a norm - we've advanced considerably, and the "super sharp blade" probably refers to the latest diamond knives where there aren't any irregularities on the scale of nanometres and the very tip is a single atom.

Nivash

Will the human subject have to be terminated in the end for similar 'humanitarian reasons'?

While I think the overall claim of a human head transplant to be bullshit that sentence is pretty standard. Research animals are typically always terminated at the end of the study, partially for humane reasons (even if the procedure was successful the patient would need lifelong treatment to avoid rejection) and partially because they've been used up for research purposes and the job of "monkey research subject" doesn't come with a pension plan.

My father worked in medical technologies, and there are a lot of expensive equipment that makes transplants a lot easier. The article did say 100 surgeons were going to operate. I don't think it's a bullshit claim, I just think it's super expensive. They'd need to have a constant supply of oxygen, and procedures to keep the heart pumping and the body electrified. I personally think it's only a matter of time this procedure becomes a norm - we've advanced considerably, and the "super sharp blade" probably refers to the latest diamond knives where there aren't any irregularities on the scale of nanometres and the very tip is a single atom.

The claim that he needs "100 surgeons" is actually completely ridiculous. Unless I'm missing something they're going to be working on a single cut across the neck and there's just no way they could have more than one active surgeon working from each side at a time, with two assistants each at most, because of the obvious fact that people take up physical space. The rest of the the team aren't surgeons and a surgical team can work for hours straight at a time, so unless he's planning on rotating them every five minutes he would have to stretch the operation out over more than a week to need that many people.

I don't think this is ever going to work, frankly. The nervous systems of two people are too different and there are just too many potentials for catastrophic rejection.

Edit: you work on both bodies simultaneously during transplants so that's 12 surgeons at at a time, maximum. And that's by choice, not necessity. Anyone who can hold a retractor or a suction tube can work as an assistant, the only reason to have them be surgeons is to use the operation as a learning opportunity for them.

M3d10n

While possibly true, it does nothing to prove the long-term success of the procedure in dealing with the dozens upon dozens of post-op complications which may occur. Case in point, the article notes that the same procedure was already done "successfully" decades earlier but the body rejected the head after 9 days, while this procedure only left the subject alive for 20 hours before terminating it. This guy is still an attention-whoring asshole and in breach of just about every code of medical ethics in existence. If he actually had the ability to repair spinal cords he'd start by simply repairing damaged spinal cords in paraplegics/quadriplegics (something which would actually help MILLIONS of people RIGHT NOW) instead of jumping straight to cutting people's heads clean off (something which even in best case scenarios would only help maybe a few thousand, and that's assuming they could find a fully intact functioning donor body given that just normal single organ donation is crazy hard enough), but that of course wouldn't get him as much venture capital from unwitting dupes who buy into his bullshit and take potential investment away from actual legitimate medical research. Fuck this guy six ways to Sunday, making a mockery of the medical and scientific profession.

Well, he claims he can "repair" a spinal cord that was cut intentionally and (very) precisely while most paraplegics/quadriplegics had their spinal cords damaged by tearing and/or crushing, not to mention the scarring that develops some time after the injury. Doesn't give his claims much more validity, of course.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if the body is going to be like super jacked or maybe it'll be a black guy's body or a like a little boy's body and this guy will live an extra 40 years but he'll have like an old guys's face?

Tobor

So, they can keep his head alive long enough to perform the operation. That's freaky.

This is borderline Dr. Frankenstein stuff.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, he claims he can "repair" a spinal cord that was cut intentionally and (very) precisely while most paraplegics/quadriplegics had their spinal cords damaged by tearing and/or crushing, not to mention the scarring that develops some time after the injury. Doesn't give his claims much more validity, of course.

If it requires a precise cut, can't the damaged torn or crushed spinal cord be cut away and the "repaired" ends then connected? (Well, ignoring things like the thing being too short then, perhaps.)

Yeah, there's a lot of questionable things about this "procedure".

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I wonder if the body is going to be like super jacked or maybe it'll be a black guy's body or a like a little boy's body and this guy will live an extra 40 years but he'll have like an old guys's face?

Clone yourself.

Let your clone age until it's old enough.

Transplant your head unto his body.

Do this for forever, acquire immortality.

Shit, no one read this post. I'm making this into a 1970s Sci-fi movie.

mclem

Surely this is technically a body transplant, not a head transplant? The head's the bit that's persisting, after all.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

No. Euthanasia of test animals (monkeys, mice, etc.) is common, but human test subjects in science are in a whole other ethics ballpark than non-human animals.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
"No neurological problems of any kind" paired with "killed for ethical reasons" sounds like horseshit. You wouldn't kill something if the procedure went as perfectly as he claims.

DrFurbs

There's a video on YouTube dating back to early 1900 where a second dogs head was transplanted to a donor dog... It worked so theoretically this is really possible.

M3d10n

If it requires a precise cut, can't the damaged torn or crushed spinal cord be cut away and the "repaired" ends then connected? (Well, ignoring things like the thing being too short then, perhaps.)

Yeah, there's a lot of questionable things about this "procedure".

I don't know enough about it, but I suppose trying to "match" two different points of the cord might be a big hurdle... which would probably also be a problem when dealing with two cords from different bodies.

Future

"No neurological problems of any kind" paired with "killed for ethical reasons" sounds like horseshit. You wouldn't kill something if the procedure went as perfectly as he claims.

Yeah. Science claiming that technically it worked because he was wiggling his toes, but forgot to mention other side effects.

I mean fuck, if it all went well wouldn't you want to keep the monkey alive so you can show videos and show the monkey living a normal life?

Woorloog

Banned
I don't know enough about it, but I suppose trying to "match" two different points of the cord might be a big hurdle... which would probably also be a problem when dealing with two cords from different bodies.

I'd imagine if the latter is possible, then the former is probably as well.
A's neck is not identical to B's neck no matter how you cut it, after all.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Yeah. Science claiming that technically it worked because he was wiggling his toes, but forgot to mention other side effects.

I mean fuck, if it all went well wouldn't you want to keep the monkey alive so you can show videos and show the monkey living a normal life?
That's what I'm thinking too. If it really was flawless then you'd be parading that monkey around and showing him to everyone. That's what happened to Dolly, which was also a huge ethical thing at the time.

You'd only kill it if you wanted to make your claims hard to verify by destroying the evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom