• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian Warship Fires Warning Shots at Turkish Fishing Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Source:
http://america.aljazeera.com/articl...ip-fires-warning-shots-at-turkish-vessel.html

Russia on Sunday warned Turkey to stop staging what it called provocations against its forces in or near Syria after one of its warships fired warning shots at a Turkish vessel in the Aegean to avoid a collision.

The Russian Defense Ministry said one of its warships, the destroyer Smetlivy, had been forced to fire the warning shots on Sunday morning and that it had summoned the Turkish military attache over the incident.

"The Turkish military diplomat was given a tough explanation about the potentially disastrous consequences from Ankara's reckless actions towards Russia's military contingent fighting against international terrorism in Syria," the Defense Ministry said in a statement.

"In particular, our deep concerns about more Turkish provocations towards the Russian destroyer Smetlivy were conveyed."

The fishing boat and the destroyer passed each other with just over half a kilometer between them in the Aegean Sea. The Aegean is bordered by Greece and Turkey.

Ledhead

While I doubt the fishing boat was under express orders from Turkish high command to piss off the Russians, this just goes to show how quickly situations can deteriorate

While I doubt the fishing boat was under express orders from Turkish high command to piss off the Russians, this just goes to show how quickly situations can deteriorate

Since the jet fighter incident I feel like Russia will use any excuse to start shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom