• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russians parade in blackface ahead of Cameroon-Germany match

Beefy

QVePnMD.jpg

People in blackface and carrying bananas marched in an official parade in Sochi less than a month before the city hosts Cameroon for a Confederations Cup match, once again raising concerns about racism at football matches in Russia.

A photograph from state news agency Tass showed a man in a Cameroon jersey with his face and arms painted black beating a drum at the Carnaval Sochi Fest parade on Saturday. A second man in blackface is visible behind him, wearing an Afro wig and carrying a drum and bananas on a string.

Another man can be seen draped in a Mexican flag, wearing a sombrero and what appears to be a stick-on black mustache. Two young men in a different photograph were wearing what appeared to be Native American headdresses and fringed costumes.

Cameroon will play Germany at Fisht stadium in Sochi, which was built for the 2014 Winter Olympics, on 25 June. Mexico will play New Zealand at the stadium on 21 June.

No racism in Russia though right?

I was told racism only existed in the US and in Europe it was "nationalism"
edit: Or cultural differences. Can forget that rich deep history of differences

FIFA: Russia is racist and homophobic? Nah, fake news, give them the World Cup. WHAT!? MEXICO shouted that word again when the goalkeeper kicked!? FINE THEM! FINE THEM AGAIN!

It's from all the soot in Russia. Watching soccer matches with the players in blackface brought joy to us children back in Russia. How dare Americans export their racial morality!

Is anyone surprised? In most parts of the world "different = funny" is the accepted norm.

I went to Vietnam a few months ago with someone who was black, when we walked down the street people were openly pointing and laughing. Not like occasionally, but like constantly. I even heard people shouting to their friends "hey get over here it's a black person!". Luckily she didn't understand, and I didn't translate for her. But yea, welcome to pretty much every non English speaking country :-/

Skilletor

Is anyone surprised? In most parts of the world "different = funny" is the accepted norm.

I went to Vietnam a few months ago with someone who was black, when we walked down the street people were openly pointing and laughing. Not like occasionally, but like constantly. I even heard people shouting to their friends "hey get over here it's a black person!". Luckily she didn't understand, and I didn't translate for her. But yea, welcome to pretty much every non English speaking country :-/

Nobody is surprised, but you'll soon have people defending blackface as part of the culture. Some black people aren't offended, so that means it's okay!

Happens in every blackface thread (zweit pete, halloween, etc).

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
We inflate our importance over other cultures to the point that if their opinion on something like this is different, we assume they're instantly shitty people.

Maybe they truly don't understand what's so offensive about these get-ups?

And if they don't, the only thing that we should hope for is for them to be educated on it.

Because they think the way to welcome black people is to paint themselves black.

In our culture, yes, it's extremely racist.

Slayven

We inflate our importance over other cultures to the point that if their opinion on something like this is different, we assume they're instantly shitty people.

And if they don't, the only thing that we should hope for is for them to be educated on it.

Wanting to be seen as human is seen as "Inflating or importance" smh

Ray Wonder

"Everyone in the world that doesn't know what's racist to us are idiots"

Wanting to be seen as human is seen as "Inflating or importance" smh

They have racist Native American get ups too. Cultural divides are vast. Assuming the intent of this parade is not our place.

Assessing how misguided they are, and correcting them, should be what we do.

Skilletor

lol.

Another Ray "it's ok, i'm a minority too" Wonder classic.

So they're idiots then?

Enzom21

Sigh... our annual blackface thread.

Who is this "we" you're talking about and who is supposed to educate these poor innocent souls?

Slayven

"Everyone in the world that doesn't know what's racist to us are idiots"

They have racist Native American get ups too. Cultural divides are vast. Assuming the intent of this parade is not our place.

Assessing how misguided they are, and correcting them, should be what we do.

Bend over and thank them for the privilege of maybe recognizing my humanity, nah fuck that. Shit is basic. You can wear that cape, but fuck that noise

Ray Wonder

Bend over and thank them for the privilege of maybe recognizing my humanity, nah fuck that. Shit is basic. You can wear that cape, but fuck that noise

I'm sorry if I'm trying to understand cultural differences before assuming that they're legitimately shitty people.

Top Bottom