• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RX 5500 XT 4 GB/8GB Review Thread vs. Nvidia GTX/GTX Super Series

Leonidas

TLDR/TLDW

GTX 1650 Super is cheaper than 4 GB 5500 XT
GTX 1660 is a similar price to 8 GB 5500 XT

GTX 1650 Super uses less power than RX 5500 XT
GTX 1660 uses less power than RX 5500 XT

GTX 1650 Super performs similarly to RX 5500 XT 4 GB
GTX 1660 is 8% faster at a similar price to RX 5500 XT 8 GB

GTX 1650 Super wins over 5500 XT in performance per dollar
GTX 1660 wins over 5500 XT in performance per dollar

Nvidia GTX 12nm is about 25% more power efficient compared to RX XT 7nm

Hate to say it but compared to the GTX 1650 Super or GTX 1660 these cards don't look too hot. Seems like a step backwards.

Nvidia brought better value to the mainstream and high end this year...

Last edited:

lukilladog

Horrible period for entry level cards on PC, last year of consoles and amd and nvidia still selling cards that will choke with max textures... it used to be the single one damn good thing of buying cheap cards, not high frame rates, not max gfx, at least being able to enjoy the stupid textures lol. Designed obsolescence.

Last edited:

tatayoyo

Neo Member
Let's hope they lower the prices like they did for the rx 5700 family. In the meantime, rx 570 and 580 are still the better buy in that bracket, hands down.

llien

TLDW

1) mildly better value than bumped up GTX cards (now it's clear why NV had to drop price and release supers), still, nothing beat Polaris 570/580/590 on perf/$.
2) The only "last gen" cards with 8Gb RAM at that price point
3) No major difference in power consumption (give or take 10-20-ish watt)
4) the known folks is running around with crazy "newegg price", just don't buy it for price higher than MSRP, doh

Perf stacking wise, it looks like this:

relative-performance_1920-1080.png
wpBJdmD.png

5600 & XT is expected in Jan and will nicely cover $200-$300 niche. (Russian site has leaked ASRock cards)
Curiously (memory bus quirks) 5600XT will be available with max 6Gb.

Last edited:

Leonidas

What's the point of these cards?

Bring us the flagship or go home.

Maybe not the most exciting cards but they still have their place.

As an enthusiast I'm all about the high end stuff, RTX 2070 Super and above, but the fact of the matter is you could pick up a 16 series card and have an amazing 1080p gaming experience, a better 1080p experience than either PS4 Pro or Xbox One X with one of these cards. Throw in a PC Game Pass sub and you can have many great gaming experiences on a budget, this is something I would have loved when I first got into PC gaming back when my PC budget was more limited.

raduque

I currently have an rx580 4gb. Would it be worth the money to get a 5500xt 8gb, a 1660 super 6gb or something else? Dont want to spend more than about 250, unless I cant get a card that will blow away the 580 for that price.

PhoenixTank

I currently have an rx580 4gb. Would it be worth the money to get a 5500xt 8gb, a 1660 super 6gb or something else? Dont want to spend more than about 250, unless I cant get a card that will blow away the 580 for that price.
Unless you're running out of VRAM stay with what you've got, IMHO.

raduque

Unless you're running out of VRAM stay with what you've got, IMHO.
I would honestly not mind it. I'm not really running out of VRAM, but the card is intolerable. MSI Armor OC with fans that sound like it's trying to take off. I cant find any aftermarket cooler or waterblock which is what I'd really like to do with it.

Long term the 5500 8GB will outperform the 1660 6GB.

Nvidia Stans have a huge presence here, but the truth is that AMD Navi cards are competetive in most cases, and they're the foundation of next gen.

PhoenixTank

I would honestly not mind it. I'm not really running out of VRAM, but the card is intolerable. MSI Armor OC with fans that sound like it's trying to take off. I cant find any aftermarket cooler or waterblock which is what I'd really like to do with it.
Ouch, I remember reviews for that one. Give the NZXT G12 a look. Pair it with a cheap compatible 120mm CLC/AIO and that could be worth the money for you? (Maybe even a second hand?)
My concern is that you will need to look higher in the lineup to see an appreciable difference vs a 580. at $229 you have the 1660 Super and beyond your budget at $279 there is the 1660 Ti. Both are remarkably similar in performance, despite the $50 between them, Neither has a huge uplift vs the 580.

Depending on who started the thread, you can already know what to expect... And... That is actually quite sad.
Eh, let him his moment considering that it has been nothing but bad news from Intel. And regardless of who the messenger is, the 5500 XT cards look largely underwhelming.

Ascend

The 5500 XT is crap and should be avoided.
Considering AMD's tactics lately, I don't think they are that stupid. There is a reason they are releasing the cards at these absurd prices, and I suspect they kept the price high to get rid of what is left of Polaris.

A secondary possibility is to see how the market reacts to the higher prices. Generally in this exact price segment, nVidia gets away with more sales with higher prices and less performance, like the 1050 Ti vs the RX 570. It could be possible that they are testing the waters with this. Maybe they are trying to use the CPU momentum to see if more people bite on the 5500XT cards simply because of AMD's brand name. I doubt it will work, but there is little reason not to risk it at this point, especially since Polaris has been around for far too long already.

Yeah, buying the 5500XT 8GB is a waste of money. The 5500XT 4GB is not so bad. We might know that, but, the majority are not nearly as knowledgeable as most of us regarding PC hardware. And it's quite possible that some people will choose it, simply thinking that it will work better with AMD CPUs or whatever. You know how it is.

thelastword

Banned
Lol, I was waiting for thread from either him or .....thelastword.....
Have not been posting too much of late...…...

GTX 1650 = $149
GTX 1650 Super = $159
GTX 1660 = $219
GTX 1660 Super = $239
GTX 1660Ti = $279

5500XT 4GB is $169 and 8Gb is $199......Look at how the XT's stacks next to these cards above...….Also bear in mind that there are some driver issues as has been highlighted in Shadow of the Tomb Raider and a few other titles...

Look at the reviews below......Looks pretty good in these reviews....

tatayoyo

Neo Member
That's why you have to look and read different reviews because more often than never, it's a matter of perspective.
For me, these cards are crap just because of the prices.
But AMD had no choice because of the competition of its own cards : polaris.
When the stock of polaris depletes, I suspect the prices will come down.
Also, for 200€ on the used market, you can get a vega 56 and it's been like this for a year now so just get that with an afermarket cooler obviously and you're good to go especially after an easy undervolt with wattman.

Last edited:

raduque

Ouch, I remember reviews for that one. Give the NZXT G12 a look. Pair it with a cheap compatible 120mm CLC/AIO and that could be worth the money for you? (Maybe even a second hand?)
My concern is that you will need to look higher in the lineup to see an appreciable difference vs a 580. at $229 you have the 1660 Super and beyond your budget at $279 there is the 1660 Ti. Both are remarkably similar in performance, despite the $50 between them, Neither has a huge uplift vs the 580.

That's what I was worried about. Having to spend more than $350 to get a noticeable uptick in performance, especially considering I game at 1080p60. But with more performance I could do VSR or massive supersampling.

I've never seen that G12 plate, thanks! I'll have to do some research on that. I was thinking about strapping an aio to the card using a custom made bracket like I used to do to my older CPUs, but a GPU cooler with poor contact is more likely to let out the magic smoke.

Edit: quick google search shows its compatible the MSI ARMOR cards. Now the only question is, could a 120mm AIO handle an OCed 580? I could do a 240mm, but not sure if I want such a big rad in my case.

Last edited:

Leonidas

That's what I was worried about. Having to spend more than $350 to get a noticeable uptick in performance, especially considering I game at 1080p60. But with more performance I could do VSR or massive supersampling.

I've never seen that G12 plate, thanks! I'll have to do some research on that. I was thinking about strapping an aio to the card using a custom made bracket like I used to do to my older CPUs, but a GPU cooler with poor contact is more likely to let out the magic smoke.

I had a RX 580 for a brief period, and it was loud even after an under-volt and even destroyed one of my PSUs... ended up selling it and got a quiet, more efficient card.

G12 + AIO is not worth considering IMO. How much is that going to cost? $80?

RX 580 is not worth sinking another $80 into. Might as well just sell the RX 580, it's already tanked in value but it's value is only going to decrease even further going forward...

llien

I currently have an rx580 4gb. Would it be worth the money to get a 5500xt 8gb, a 1660 super 6gb or something else?
Absolutely not, at least not at this point.

I expect AMD to drop 5500 price a bit once Polaris inventory is sold out.
5600, which will do to 1660 what 5700 did to 2060/2070, is just around the corner (announced in Dec, available shortly after).

raduque

I had a RX 580 for a brief period, and it was loud even after an under-volt and even destroyed one of my PSUs... ended up selling it and got a quiet, more efficient card.

G12 + AIO is not worth considering IMO. How much is that going to cost? $80?

RX 580 is not worth sinking another $80 into. Might as well just sell the RX 580, it's already tanked in value but it's value is only going to decrease even further going forward...

I'm honestly happy with the performance of the card, and the only reason I wanted to upgrade was for a quieter card - and I'm not spending more than $250, and it doesnt look like anything in that price bracket is worth paying for.

To me, $80 is worth it. It's better than selling the card for, what $100? and buying a 1660Super for $240. Which isn't a significant amount faster.

Leonidas

I'm honestly happy with the performance of the card, and the only reason I wanted to upgrade was for a quieter card - and I'm not spending more than $250, and it doesnt look like anything in that price bracket is worth paying for.

To me, $80 is worth it. It's better than selling the card for, what $100? and buying a 1660Super for $240. Which isn't a significant amount faster.

At this point, sadly, you'd be lucky to get $80 from the RX 580 after shipping/fees if eBay is anything to go buy.

From my perspective it just doesn't make sense to spend another $80 on something that is now only worth maybe $80 to begin with.

1660 Super is about 35% faster than RX 580 at 1080p. 1660 Super is ~GTX 1070 performance.

Ascend

I find this hard to believe. How do you even know it was the RX 580?

How much is nVidia paying you?

thelastword

Banned
Some of the reviews are all over the place, definitely speaks to driver issues...Some very weird numbers on F1, Shadow of TR, World War Z and others.....One thing is sure, if you are going to pick up one of these cards now, the 5500XT is the superior buy because of it's lower powerdraw even when OC'd heavily...…...over Polaris...

MFFDTna.png

So in the here and now, I'd definitely pick up the 4GB 5500XT over the 1650 Super as it will beat it in most tests at $169, and I would pick up the 8GB 5500XT over the 1660 as it beats it and goes head to head with the 1660 Super in Tech Yes City's benches...…..I think whatever driver issues they have with some of titles will be resolved soon....So yes, according to tech Yes City, the 8GB 5500XT at $199 is neck and neck or trailing pretty close to the 1660 Super (which happens to be a $240 MSRP card)…..The other thing to notice is that the 8GB 5500XT has 2 GB more Vram than the 1660 Super, it's cheaper and it has a slightly lower power draw according to TYC....….

Bare in mind, the 5500 series should replace the Polaris cards, but they are inching on the 1600 series from NV......This means that 5600 series will absolutely destroy the GTX 1600 cards in January.....

Tdr4yj8.png

3ZIEdT2.png

cQtEISi.png

25atmP8.png

UMy3ytY.png

st7twUF.png

3lyi9xU.png

evWZfK1.png

Rsi4TEv.png

aDQA79A.png

HIU3ve5.png

xWQfGy5.png

raduque

From my perspective it just doesn't make sense to spend another $80 on something that is now only worth maybe $80 to begin with.

Well, I spent $600 to fix a car I paid $260 for, so...

I think it is worth it to spend $80 to put some better cooling on a card that I'm still happy with, and just run with it till it cant really handle games at 1080p with medium settings anymore. Right now it has no problem with high settings in pretty much every game, but I either have a Boeing in my PC or 80c under load at a decent sound level.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Edit: quick google search shows its compatible the MSI ARMOR cards. Now the only question is, could a 120mm AIO handle an OCed 580? I could do a 240mm, but not sure if I want such a big rad in my case.
It was new to me too until a few weeks ago. For reference I'm going to be attaching a 240mm CLC to a 1080Ti, which is apparently overkill. Caught the 240 in a sale for the same price as a 120, so no loss to me. Have the parts, don't have the time until the new year.
Look into whether your 580's VRMs or other board components are likely to need extra cooling/heatsinks - the included fan seems to do well enough for a 1080 (non Ti), at least going on a Jayz video.

Being fair, you're looking at closer to $100 for new parts. $25 for the bracket, and $75 maybe for something like a Corsair H55? The value proposition is a lot better on my card than yours. Shop around for coolers from the compatibility list if you still fancy this.
Going used, a very quick look found https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corsair-CW...m-Hydro-Series-H55-Quiet-Edition/174069686879 which could get you a setup for $70.
Mods, I forget the rules on stuff like this, but I'm not affiliated with this listing, nor Corsair. Remove if needed and I'll put up a summary.

Going on Leo's green hued analysis, 580s are apparently worth dogshit, so maybe get another 580 with a decent cooler & 8GB in the Polaris firesale that some AMD inclined GAFers think is coming?

You've got options. If you're going to find it fun to set up or really value the low noise: CLC & G12. If you want your 30% average boost, 1660Super or whatever "5600" card AMD slot into that price segment early next year. If you've got time: Wait for a steal of a deal on the CLC components or hope that the 7nm Nvidia GPUs will bring better bang for buck sometime next year. Or maybe they'll bring just RTX to the low-mid end and keep general price points for raster performance about the same :messenger_sad_relieved:

raduque

It was new to me too until a few weeks ago. For reference I'm going to be attaching a 240mm CLC to a 1080Ti, which is apparently overkill. Caught the 240 in a sale for the same price as a 120, so no loss to me. Have the parts, don't have the time until the new year.
Look into whether your 580's VRMs or other board components are likely to need extra cooling/heatsinks

I'm definitely gonna be doing this, but not till after the new year. Everything is just too tight with Christmas only 12 days away, and I've got a 1500 mile drive ahead of me.

I don't think I'll need extra cooling, the MSI ARMOR already has a small heatsink across the VRMs (I think) but if not I have a bunch of little sinks around from when I Accelero'd my old 3870 years back.

PhoenixTank said:
If you're going to find it fun to set up or really value the low noise: CLC & G12.
This is why I'll be doing it. Even at $100, it's an acceptable amount to me, and I like tinkering.

Leonidas

Going on Leo's analysis, 580s are apparently worth dogshit

Don't take my word for it, you can easily look on eBay and see that 4 GB 580 Armor's are selling for ~$90... take out shipping/fees and you're not looking at much, maybe $65 after shipping/fees.

This amount is only going to go down, sell it now and get the most value out of it as you can. Or keep it forever and it will practically become worthless.

I'm definitely gonna be doing this, but not till after the new year. Everything is just too tight with Christmas only 12 days away, and I've got a 1500 mile drive ahead of me.

I don't think I'll need extra cooling, the MSI ARMOR already has a small heatsink across the VRMs (I think) but if not I have a bunch of little sinks around from when I Accelero'd my old 3870 years back.

This is why I'll be doing it. Even at $100, it's an acceptable amount to me, and I like tinkering.

I hope it works out well for you and that you aren't bothered by the constant pump noise. I've used three different AIOs in the past and couldn't stand either due to their constant pump noise, which is something I heard even when the GPU was idling...

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Don't take my word for it, you can easily look on eBay and see that 4 GB 580 Armor's are selling for ~$90... take out shipping/fees and you're not looking at much, maybe $65 after shipping/fees.
This amount is only going to go down, sell it now and get the most value out of it as you can. Or keep it forever and it will practically become worthless.
Oh I believe you on how much it is going for, but the slant on that particular suggestion of mine was to buy a 580 with a decent cooler rather than to be rid of the 580 and get a more expensive card. As you point out the economics are such that on the face of it, getting good cooling for an existing 580 is not cheap relative to the base cost.
I hope it works out well for you and that you aren't bothered by the constant pump noise. I've used three different AIOs in the past and couldn't stand either due to their constant pump noise, which is something I heard even when the GPU was idling...
Fair point, though it seems to vary massively between brands and models. Something to research carefully and give a test run before pulling off your original cooler raduque raduque . At least that is what I'll be doing :)

Top Bottom