• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan Penagos: Spider-Man releasing in 2017 on PS4 [Insomniac insists no timeframe]

DKHF

Sony has exclusive marketing deals for Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, Red Dead 2, and COD this fall??
All are confirmed for Sony marketing deals except Battlefront 2 (unless I missed something), but it's safe to assume it will have one.

Icolin

Banned
All are confirmed for Sony marketing deals except Battlefront 2 (unless I missed something), but it's safe to assume it will have one.

I think Sony has marketing deals on everything Star Wars (LEGO and EA), so it'll likely have one.

I envision what it looks like with 3 years development vs 4 and I hope it comes out in 2018. New game built from the ground up, it's important for the foundation of the game to be great for future sequels.

AmuroChan

who says they're rushing?

spidey and GT sport this year
days gone and gow4 next year

Why do you guys assumed they'd be rushed if they released this year? Both these games have been in development for quite some time.

Rush not from a dev perspective, but from a release schedule perspective. Sony is in a position where they can be a little flexible because they're not playing catch up. If there isn't a good week to release a 1st party game in the Fall because of all these giant 3rd party games, some of which Sony has marketing deals with, then hold the game until Q1. I think it's been proven now that you don't have to release a game during the Holiday season for it to sell really well.

KORNdoggy

Rush not from a dev perspective, but from a release schedule perspective. Sony is in a position where they can be a little flexible because they're not playing catch up. If there isn't a good week to release a 1st party game in the Fall because of all these giant 3rd party games, some of which Sony has marketing deals with, then hold the game until Q1. I think it's been proven now that you don't have to release a game during the Holiday season for it to sell really well.

remember the competition is releasing an entirely new system this fall. as little of a threat that may be in the grand scheme of things, sony probably want to really hammer home the difference by having a lot of games releasing at the end of the year.

AmuroChan

remember the competition is releasing an entirely new system this fall. as little of a threat that may be in the grand scheme of things, sony probably want to really hammer home the difference by having a lot of games releasing at the end of the year.

I think that's fair, and Sony is probably waiting to see what the Scorpio is before making those decisions. I do still think though if Sony releases special edition PS4 bundles with Red Dead 2 and Battlefront 2, they'll still win the Fall handily because Scorpio is aimed at the premium market and not the mass market as Phil has indicated.

KORNdoggy

I think that's fair, and Sony is probably waiting to see what the Scorpio is before making those decisions. I do still think though if Sony releases special edition PS4 bundles with Red Dead 2 and Battlefront 2, they'll still win the Fall handily because Scorpio is aimed at the premium market and not the mass market as Phil has indicated.

sony will likely win fall anyway just based on price alone. but i don't see red dead happening this year. unless we've been told it is and i've missed it?

icespide

Banned
sony will likely win fall anyway just based on price alone. but i don't see red dead happening this year. unless we've been told it is and i've missed it?
RS has said red dead is 2017 but pretty much everyone expects a delay. It is rockstar after all

black070

They could honestly go without an exclusive at all this holiday period and still be okay with the Call of Duty, Battlefront, Destiny and Red Dead Redemption marketing deals. Add GT Sport and Knack 2 and they can be coasting through it - though I do think Detroit: Become Human would make for a good December release.

RS has said red dead is 2017 but pretty much everyone expects a delay. It is rockstar after all

I think it'll hit this year for sure. Rockstar has not released a single game since GTAV dropped in 2013, and hasn't seemed too bothered by the fact at all. So I see no reason why they would announce RDR2 early if they weren't confident in the fact they couldn't launch it within that time frame.

No need for Sony to rush any games out this Holiday. They have marketing deals with Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, Red Dead 2, and COD. Release a couple special edition PS4 bundles with any of those games and the PS4 will easily win the Fall. GT Sport will probably be this Fall also to go against Forza, but I think Sony will be just fine if they hold GoW and Spidey 'til Q1 2018.

When is Days Gone and TLOU 2 supposed to hit?

Papacheeks

Banned
When is Days Gone and TLOU 2 supposed to hit?

TLOU 2 is a ways out. It's still in early development. That's not coming out till 2019 and I bet it will come out May or June of 2019 with it being rendered nativly 1440p o PS4 pro and native 4k on PS5.

Bookmarking this post.

DAYS GONE could be a 2017 game, but it might get pushed to early 2018, spring.

icespide

Banned
I think it'll hit this year for sure. Rockstar has not released a single game since GTAV dropped in 2013, and hasn't seemed too bothered by the fact at all. So I see no reason why they would announce RDR2 early if they weren't confident in the fact they couldn't launch it within that time frame.
we'll see :)

If this releases around the time the Homecoming Blu-Ray does, you can bet there will be a PS4 bundle with the Blu-Ray included like the one for LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

benzopil

kMSzPhG.jpg

Old?

It could get announced at e3, running on Scorpio
We won't know until then.

I really don't want Spidey dropping until 2018, the holiday season is no place for a first party game. I mean yeah Spidey is not a shooter but shooter fans, will he spending their money on destiny, cod, battlefront plus probably up front dlc. To expect them to have time to play a game that will keep them from progressing to higher levels in said shooters is not realistic, the first couple months in a shooter are their most important.

Arkam

Super excited for this game. Looks like it will be a great interpretation of being spider man. Hope the new film does well and the energy can continue on for this game. Spiderman is one of the few super heroes I actually enjoy playing as in a game. He has just enough ability to 'get around and do things' without being so OP that game limitations seem odd.

Marvel originally approached Sony in 2014, I doubt a whole year or more went by before Insomniac had gotten to work on the game, so they probably had solid portion of 2015 to work on this. Last year they offered a trailer with in-game footage that already looked a lot more refined and complete than games that did release last year. If it were to release this year having barely been shown at all up this point, that would hardly be unusual *coughs* Destiny 2 *coughs*.

Destiny is not First Party. Sony seems to like showing off their exclusives for a while before release.

Also, I highly doubt it would release this year if 2015 was their first year of development. For a new IP like that, we're looking at 3 years minimum IMO.

Fisty

Sony has exclusive marketing deals for Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, Red Dead 2, and COD this fall??

Good god, I hope they push most of their first party to early 2018, I think between these, Spiderman and GT there's not going to be enough oxygen for marketing left

It already is, but if this drops and Bloodborne 2 is announced (won't happen), then it will be one of the most dominant years for a console ever.

Might not be BB2, but I would bet very good money From drops a huge announcement at E3, DS3 has been out for about a year, DLC has wrapped and they don't have a game announced. Miyazaki hasn't been twiddling his thumbs for the past year.

No chance, just like we got no Battlefield 1/FIFA 17 footage at the Pro reveal conference - at best, you'll just get the devs come on stage to confirm it'll be supported.
Not the greatest metric to go by, that was a pretty poor conference.

When Microsoft does reveal it, they will do it with a year worth of prep not to make Sony's mistake marketing wise.

Top Bottom