• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse Son of Rome coming to PC this fall [no port begging other games]

Kezen

Banned
Crytek cares about PC gamers, that much is certain.

Yeah and that further cements my decision to pick up Ryse at full price day one.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/crytek-says-ryse-son-of-rome-pc-a-real-port-not-a-/1100-6421722/

The upcoming PC port of Xbox One launch title Ryse: Son of Rome is a genuine port and not just a way for Crytek to rake up some funds in light of its recent financial issues. That's according to senior producer Brian Chambers, who acknowledged in an interview with Kotaku UK that "revenue's always good," but development on the game actually began months ago.

"We've been working on this for months," he said. "It's nothing we've pulled together. I've personally been on this project as a senior producer for months."

Mechanically, the PC version of Ryse is on par with the Xbox One version. But to beef the game up with PC-exclusive features like 4K support required extra technical work. "It's important that it's not just a port," Chambers said. "We didn't go, 'Let's just shove it on PC and be done.' We dug into it and did a lot on the engineering side to actually get it to 4K. So it's the first 4K game to come out of Crytek.

Denton

Fantastic that Cryengine is getting proper Mantle support. Means that Kingdom Come: Deliverance will have it too, and my GCN won't have to wait for my sandy bridge.

Kezen

Banned
Fantastic that Cryengine is getting proper Mantle support. Means that Kingdom Come: Deliverance will have it too, and my GCN won't have to wait for my sandy bridge.

There are cases however where even games running on an engine having support for Mantle don't actually support it, NFS Rivals for instance.

KKRT00

""We didn't go, 'Let's just shove it on PC and be done.' We dug into it and did a lot on the engineering side to actually get it to 4K. So it's the first 4K game to come out of Crytek."

Ok, now i'm curious, because Tiago Sousa in his presentation talked about how 4k resolution is not that sensitive to compression, which means that they can use some lower precision techniques in 4k to save some resources or use some compression for subpixel aliasing to blur it out without big impact on clarity.
I wonder if they followed this logic in PC release and researched something new.

Kezen

Banned
Didnt NFS rivals launch quite a bit before mantle made its way into frostbite?

Well NFS Rivals came out after Battlefield 4 which was updated to support Mantle.
Rivals could have been too I suppose but then again its presence in the PC scene is negligible so the engineering efforts would have been wasted.

It's a great thing to see all future Frostbite games supporting Mantle. I don't remember D3D11 having such an uptake back in 2009/2010.
Competition is a wonderful thing. :)

""We didn't go, 'Let's just shove it on PC and be done.' We dug into it and did a lot on the engineering side to actually get it to 4K. So it's the first 4K game to come out of Crytek."

Ok, now i'm curious, because Tiago Sousa in his presentation talked about how 4k resolution is not that sensitive to compression, which means that they can use some lower precision techniques in 4k to save some resources or use some compression for subpixel aliasing to blur it out without big impact on clarity.
I wonder if they followed this logic in this release and research something new.

It could use a compressed or decoupled shading (variable rate shading I think is the name). That would be a smart way to get a 4k res, but reduce the cost of a lot of screen elements.

Durante

A very significant one in CPU bound scenarios. Ryse must have a few just like pretty much every other game.
I'm a Geforce owner and not at all interested to switch to AMD but Mantle is very impressive thus far and this will push Nvidia to do better.

Mantle vs D3D11 in Thief :
http://www.computerbase.de/2014-03/amd-mantle-thief-benchmarks/2/
It should be noted that one reason Mantle gains are impressive in CPU bound scenarios is that AMD's DX11 drivers are simply less CPU efficient than NVs.
(That is, you can push more draw calls in DX11 using the same CPU with Nvidia than with AMD)

file.php

Kezen

Banned
It should be noted that one reason Mantle gains are impressive in CPU bound scenarios is that AMD's DX11 drivers are simply less CPU efficient than NVs.
(That is, you can push more draw calls in DX11 using the same CPU with Nvidia than with AMD)

file.php

Thanks for the link. Nvidia made some seriously impressive drivers, it reflects poorly on AMD.
On the computerbase. de link I posted above they did not use the "wonder driver" which improved my framerate a lot in many DX11 games.

While I'm at it, do AMD even support driver command lists ? Mantle is beautiful and all but they need to step up their game where the majority of their consumers are.

cakely

That's ... completely unexpected.

I'm not really interested, though. The reviews and gameplay vids turned me off from it. It looked the Gen 8 equivalent of "The Bouncer".

Kezen

Banned
So Ryse on PC should sport the following AA options :
SMAA (3 modes)
MSAA (3 modes)
TXAA (I don't see why it would be removed given that it was in Crysis 3)
SSAA (2 modes).

Kezen

Banned
PCGH asked Crytek about Mantle support and got a negative answer.

CRYENGINE ‏@cryengine
@PCGH_Redaktion No, there is actually no Mantle support for Ryse on PC.
https://twitter.com/cryengine/statuses/501300530292224000

Thanks for the update. It's unfortunate for a game likely falling under the Gaming Evolved umbrella. It ran on Radeon hardware at Gamescom.

I'm hoping for DX11.1 support.

Only problem is that MSAA currently does not work at all with the 3.6+ Cryengine EaaS. It could not have been updated and will not work on Ryse.
Thanks again for this piece of information. Damn, I feel out of the look on this stuff.
It's possible MSAA is too expensive for its own good hence why Crytek decided to substitute it with SSAA like 4A Games did with Metro Last Light.

Thanks for the update. It's unfortunate for a game likely falling under the Gaming Evolved umbrella. It ran on Radeon hardware at Gamescom.

I'm hoping for DX11.1 support.

Thanks again for this piece of information. Damn, I feel out of the look on this stuff.
It's possible MSAA is too expensive for its own good hence why Crytek decided to substitute it with SSAA like 4A Games did with Metro Last Light.

The MSAA just does not work because of compatibility problems since they updated their shading (if you turn it on, it distorts the image incorrectly). Given their stance on MSAA since Crysis 3... I imagine it is just a temporary thing. :p

But still, Ryse may have SSAA being advertised because they are too lazy to code up proper MSAA again for the game. SSAA is piss easy to program in comparison to proper MSAA in a complex Forward plus / tiled Deferred engine that CE really is.

Kezen

Banned
The MSAA just does not work because of compatibility problems since they updated their shading (if you turn it on, it distorts the image incorrectly). Given their stance on MSAA since Crysis 3... I imagine it is just a temporary thing. :p
But still, Ryse may have SSAA being advertised because they are too lazy to code up proper MSAA again for the game. SSAA is piss easy to program in comparison to proper MSAA in a complex Forward plus / tiled Deferred engine that CE really is.
If MSAA is out of the equation TXAA ipso facto is, isn't it ? Not that I like TXAA at all (superb image stability but too blurry for my tastes) but I like when games feature plenty of AA methods.

If MSAA is out of the equation TXAA ipso facto is, isn't it ? Not that I like TXAA at all (superb image stability but too blurry for my tastes) but I like when games feature plenty of AA methods.

Yeah, that would kill TXAA support for the most part. Technically it could still use "TXAA Medium 2XT" since it does not use MSAA samples as far as I know.

KKRT00

Yeah, that would kill TXAA support for the most part. Technically it could still use "TXAA Medium 2XT" since it does not use MSAA samples as far as I know.

I think TXAA 2x uses 2x MSAA resolve, while 4X uses 4x MSAA.

---
Only problem is that MSAA currently does not work at all with the 3.6+ Cryengine EaaS. It could not have been updated and will not work on Ryse.
Didnt know that, interesting.

Top Bottom