• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sac Bee: How California’s housing crisis happened

Clever city planning and the building of dense urban dwellings/skyscrapers, while definitely part of the solution, can only help so much when it comes to massive metropolitan areas that attract millions of people.

I think the pragmatic solution is not to deny sprawl. Sprawl is inevitable. It is mandating and enforcing the use of sustainable energy, infrastructure, and mass transit accompanying the inevitable sprawl that is the missing link.

Doing that will vastly accelerate the uptake/adoption of sustainable systems within society at large by creating economies of scale and enabling constant/iterative technological improvements for those sustainable systems.

Hydrus

Cash buyers are a symptom, not the root cause.

Property is attractive to them because of its value.

Property only has that value because of anti-growth NIMBY attitudes like yours.

"anti-growth NIMBY attitudes" . Property has value because its fucking California and everyone wants to live here. If you think building a million more homes is going to dramatically lower prices and make California an affordable place to live, then you must not live here.

Uh, we need more homes/apartments that are affordable. Regardless of what some foreign purchasers are doing.

And how are we going to get more affordable homes? Building more isn't going to lower anything. Just look at off topic on Gaf and see how many threads we get of people get new job offers here and wanting to move cross country.

California needs a lot more homes. It's time for LA and SF to become mega cities and the damn suburbs to join this fucking century. No buildings over 4-5 stories? GTFO

No it does not and what a shitty way to live. I live in near Eastvale here in the IE and they have been building homes non-stop in this area for the last 17 years. Ontario alone has 40,000 more homes planned in the next 8-10 years. They are already starting to run out of land here and now are building "Luxury" apartments. A friend of mine in Corona just got a 500 SQFT apartment for $2200 a month. They even reached the point of starting to build on wildlife preserves. Fuck that shit.

A friend of mine in Corona just got a 500 SQFT apartment for $2200 a month.

$2200 to live in CORONA? LOL you couldn't pay me $2200 a month to live in that awful cow town.

I pay $1300 for a studio in Pasadena; it's expensive but at least I get to live somewhere desirable.

"anti-growth NIMBY attitudes" . Property has value because its fucking California and everyone wants to live here. If you think building a million more homes is going to dramatically lower prices and make California an affordable place to live, then you must not live here.

And how are we going to get more affordable homes? Building more isn't going to lower anything. Just look at off topic on Gaf and see how many threads we get of people get new job offers here and wanting to move cross country.

No it does not and what a shitty way to live. I live in near Eastvale here in the IE and they have been building homes non-stop in this area for the last 17 years. Ontario alone has 40,000 more homes planned in the next 8-10 years. They are already starting to run out of land here and now are building "Luxury" apartments. A friend of mine in Corona just got a 500 SQFT apartment for $2200 a month. They even reached the point of starting to build on wildlife preserves. Fuck that shit.

Building single family homes doesn't fix this shit. They need to build up and in mass. Luxury apartments don't fix the issue either but unfortantely those come first because the market will pay for it. Once it becomes over saturated developers revert to lower income housing. Your precious IE isn't really going to change it's the areas of Hollywood, WeHo, Koreatown, Silver Lake, Santa Monica, that need to build the fuck up. Residents already put up with extreme density, building up doesn't change that fact.

We bought a 1,100 sqft condo this year in Hollywood. $535k and there's four of us living in the 2b/2b. Shits out of control.

What about San Bernardo and riverside counties?
Riverside county is a cess pool. A meth addicted, gang infested, traffic jammed, dump. The only 2 bastions left in the entire county is Murrieta and Temecula, both which only have housing that starts at $350k if you are lucky. The majority of homes are in the $450k-$600k range.

San Bernardino is much the same way. There might be a small bastion here or there, but I'm less familiar with that county than Riverside.

I live in the bay area, specifically the city of Fremont, and anywhere there was empty lots have been bought and have been/are being turned into housing. This is a good thing, except that they don't account for the influx of people coming in, so the infrastructure doesn't seem to be improved along with the increase of population. Specifically schools will take a hit, I've already seen overflow populations getting sent to different districts to pickup the uptick in population. Schools are valued (at least in Fremont) so I'd expect more families to be interested in buying into the city. It just feels like they're half thinking this through. I love Cali but they need to get their shit together with housing and infrastructure (among other things).

Hydrus

$2200 to live in CORONA? LOL you couldn't pay me $2200 a month to live in that awful cow town.

I pay $1300 for a studio in Pasadena; it's expensive but at least I get to live somewhere desirable.

Lol Corona isn't a cow town and parts of it is really nice, but yes, no way in hell would I pay $2,200 to live in an apartment there.

johnny956

Building single family homes doesn't fix this shit. They need to build up and in mass. Luxury apartments don't fix the issue either but unfortantely those come first because the market will pay for it. Once it becomes over saturated developers revert to lower income housing. Your precious IE isn't really going to change it's the areas of Hollywood, WeHo, Koreatown, Silver Lake, Santa Monica, that need to build the fuck up. Residents already put up with extreme density, building up doesn't change that fact.

We bought a 1,100 sqft condo this year in Hollywood. $535k and there's four of us living in the 2b/2b. Shits out of control.

Yup density has to increase drastically in these areas. If these cities had decent transit you could even do better and remove the parking requirements for these buildings as well which gives you more space to work with

Mortemis

Banned
Do NIMBYs hold a lot of power in state politics? Can a state force new zoning laws on cities? Seems like the only way to get more housing in cities, since the local governments sound like they would rather not.

Hari Seldon

Do NIMBYs hold a lot of power in state politics? Can a state force new zoning laws on cities? Seems like the only way to get more housing in cities, since the local governments sound like they would rather not.

I don't know about CA, but in PA the (hugely corrupt) state government forced fracking down everyone's throats even though local communities might (correctly) want to ban it.

Syriel

It is a NIMBY attitude.

I live in SF and the biggest anti-growth advocates are those that own property and those that have rent controlled apartments.

There are two ways to meet demand. One is to increase supply. The other is to increase cost, so demand goes down.

Without increasing supply, the desirable areas will simply keep increasing in price. That is great news for anyone who already owns property. It is bad news for anyone who does not.

When it comes to zoning and growth, they hold an amazing amount because it is all local. Everyone wants to build "somewhere else."

The state has talked about changing that, but so far little action has been taken. Scott Wiener (from SF) is one of the few making an effort at change.

RuGalz

The way bay area is built, I don't know how you are going to get a lot more housing without much better public transportation. Having more people live here and driving isn't really going to work.

Things probably will also hurt people who have to rent apartments. Cost of housing goes up, so does your lease.

I love living in California, but shit do I hate it too.

I live in the bay area, specifically the city of Fremont, and anywhere there was empty lots have been bought and have been/are being turned into housing. This is a good thing, except that they don't account for the influx of people coming in, so the infrastructure doesn't seem to be improved along with the increase of population. Specifically schools will take a hit, I've already seen overflow populations getting sent to different districts to pickup the uptick in population. Schools are valued (at least in Fremont) so I'd expect more families to be interested in buying into the city. It just feels like they're half thinking this through. I love Cali but they need to get their shit together with housing and infrastructure (among other things).

as a millennial living in the bay area, my dream of owning a house is dead :'(

Ten_Fold

Once I finish up getting my degree for game desgin, I really wanted to work for a company in California (perfer socal) but the cost of buying a house is pretty crazy an it seems like its only going up lol.

Sunster

jesus, my mom's 3bed house is $1300 y'all Californians are wild

Top Bottom