• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

Status
Not open for further replies.

moojito

_49138212_queen_comp_304_pa.jpg

Ali G and Borat star Sacha Baron Cohen is to play Freddie Mercury in a film about Queen, the rock band's guitarist Brian May has confirmed to the BBC.

Source

Well, I'm not sure how that'll work out. There's a lot of love for Freddie still about, rightly so. I hope he does a decent job of it. I think he might be just the man for the job, from what I've seen of Freddie's personality from interviews from that time (around the live aid concert).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think this could be really, really good. If they're going for the "Heath Ledger?!" moment, they won't get it, because, well, Heath Ledger ruined every possible version of "no way he can pull that off" for every questionably weird casting decisions for major roles.

SimleuqiR

This reminds me...I have to put some more Queen tunes into my phone.

:::shit, internet radio at the office playing "We Will Rock You" as I type:::

Guevara

He's paid his dues, time after time. He's done his sentence but committed no crime.

And bad mistakes he's made a few. He's had his share of sand kicked in his face but he's always come through.

And I hope to see him go on and on and on and on

SimleuqiR said:
What would you like to hear Cohen or Mercury?

I rather they dub Cohen.

That stuff is terrible 99% of the time. Cohen should do the singing himself. Will it be as good as Freddie? hell no. No human alive can match Freddie Mercury's singing voice. I don't think anyone watching the movie will be going to listen to Queen's original music. It's better to have a consistent movie where you can believe the actor is the person.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Could work, I love Mercury and I have no particular disdain for Cohen. Should be interesting at the very least.

parasight

Nailed it. I think Cohen's going to be great in this. Looks the part, and I'd wager he's got the acting chops to pull it off very well.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I feel like this is old news? At least I remember it in rumor form from a long time ago.
So I did a smidgen of research. Seems this was a rumor three and a half years ago.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1558875/20070504/story.jhtml
May 4 2007 8:51 PM EDT
Sacha Baron Cohen Won't Play Freddie Mercury In Queen Biopic
'Borat' actor was rumored to portray late frontman, but publicist tells MTV News that reports are 'absolutely untrue.'

EDIT: Google News also sees this rumor going back at least as far as January 2007. That article isn't in English, but it's definitely referencing The Mirror.

FUCK YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! Been waiting forever for this rumor to come true.

Simply cannot wait to see SBC's performance as Freddie Mercury on stage. I'm not sure if he will be able to exactly recreate Freddie's voice. The fans will butcher him if he deviates one note. It's a tremendous challenge, but we'll see how it goes.
Bentendo said:
This will be the third time (that I know of) that Cohen plays a gay guy.
Freddie was a Bi, as far as I know.

Edit: NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The only thing most of GAF cares about when it comes to casting:
Does this person look like that person?

EDIT: I have no idea if this is a good casting or not, btw. Never seen Cohen play someone who wasn't a cartoon.

RustyNails said:
Simply cannot wait to see SBC's performance as Freddie Mercury on stage. I'm not sure if he will be able to exactly recreate Freddie's voice. The fans will butcher him if he deviates one note. It's a tremendous challenge, but we'll see how it goes.
Is it really necessary that he does? Most singing I see in movies uses a different voice than the actor. I mean, if Michael J. Fox isn't expected to sing as well as fictional nobody Marty McFly, should we really expect Sacha Baron Cohen to match one of music's most well-known voices? Surely there's a lot of recorded audio material for them to work with.

I remember hearing about this a long time ago but I thought nothing ever happened with the project. So excited about this, perfect casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom