• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sackboy: A Big Adventure - Review Thread

OutRun88

Hey guys, what’s the length and replayability like? That’s my main concern with no create and share mechanic. Better controls sound awesome, that’s all LBP has been missing IMO.
8-10 amazing hours to simply beat the game. The replayability is there too if you’re trying to 100% each level, which you’ll want to do because they are that much fun to play.

Last edited:
The Sixth Axis Review

This fuck nugget knocked points off for this gem :

"An extra disappointment is that you are Sackboy and only ever Sackboy, despite Scarlet being a Sackgirl. Of course you can play dress up through the game, with some of the earliest costumes to unlock or buy being for Red Riding Hood and a punk rocker girl in a tartan skirt. We’re at a point now where girls, women and non-binary people should be able to choose to be referred to as Sackgirl, Sackling, Sackthing or a handful of other options in the cutscene dialogue, but there’s no option, and it leaves Sackboy: A Big Adventure feeling a bit behind the times."

:messenger_weary:

Assuming the gender of Sackboy is incredibly transphobic and genderphobic. Just because it say's Boy or Man, doesn't mean i can't also identify as a female.

Sixth Axis need cancelling immediately.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
For everyone upset about game websites and reviewers who inject their personal politics just don't go to those sites. Money always speaks louder than words so deny them your clicks and the ability to make revenue off you.

Amiga

Sony should take this engine and remake Jak 1-3. better yet use the Astrobot engine.

a copycat of retro Zelda would also be great

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
The Sixth Axis Review

"An extra disappointment is that you are Sackboy and only ever Sackboy, despite Scarlet being a Sackgirl. Of course you can play dress up through the game, with some of the earliest costumes to unlock or buy being for Red Riding Hood and a punk rocker girl in a tartan skirt. We’re at a point now where girls, women and non-binary people should be able to choose to be referred to as Sackgirl, Sackling, Sackthing or a handful of other options in the cutscene dialogue, but there’s no option, and it leaves Sackboy: A Big Adventure feeling a bit behind the times."

Where the fuck is the world heading into? It is a kids game for the love of god.

TLZ

Banned
The Sixth Axis Review

We're not allowed to make boy games anymore. Or just explicitly have boys. Or just the name boy.

The game is called Sack BOY fgs. Are they going to complain every time a game is explicitly played by a male? Such insecurity.

Esca

I've been having fun with this. It's low stress and just enjoyable. Some of the levels are very good but overall it's a good game and I'm happy with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone who likes these toys if games. This is a much better direction for the series imo instead of little big planet

mcjmetroid

Seems like a harmless game but I've always been tough on the little big planet games for being fun games to do anything but platforming.

Too floaty.

And this being little big planet without customisation I can't see myself looking it.

Ign was very hard on the feel of the platforming too.

devilNprada

So I've been testing and we can logon the same account at the same time on both a PS5 and a PS4...
And we also have two home consoles (Ps4 and PS5)

So this game being crossplay, when multi player online comes out, we should be able to play one digital copy of the game accross 4 consoles...
2 PS4's and 2 PS5's...

Last edited:

iorek21

Amazing game, just amazing.

Best casual platformer since Rayman Legends. And guess what, Sackboy is basically a whole game of those music levels from Legends.

One of the best licensed soundtracks also.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I caught myself bobbing my head to the music on the jungle, monkey level.

The music in this game is legit.

Last edited:

Neff

Game looks really pretty and has lots of nice visual ideas but holy shit the gameplay looks boring as fuck. I was surprised watching a playthrough how little was happening. Most of its best stage features and hazards are shamelessly lifted straight from Mario, albeit without the snappy physics and pacing.

Astro Bot Rescue Mission managed to 'do a Nintendo game' with bags more inspiration and ideas of its own than this.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
iorek21 iorek21

Ok, it's the level called Monkey Business. This is the first thing I could find.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I'm getting crashes to the OS when I'm experimenting outfits in Zum Zum shop, but no issues at all during gameplay.
Anyone else having this issue?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This game is surprisingly good. First few levels are “ok” but it really gets going after that. What a nice surprise in the launch lineup.

Oh, and the music is dope. Like WTF?!

Last edited:

Golgo 13

For anyone that played and loved 3D World, how did you feel about this one?
3D World is one of my favorite platformers ever, for reference.

This game is very good, it’s a huge step up from other platforming experiments done with Sackboy in the LBP games. It’s full of color, beautiful art design, creativity, and gameplay variety. And the music is surprisingly great, like a standout feature. It’s also full of secrets and has great replay value.

Is it as good as Mario 3D World? God no, but what is? I’d say this game feels like an 8.5 to me whereas 3D World is a stone cold 10/10. But that doesn’t mean Sackboy isn’t worth playing; it’s a great platformer that will bring a smile to your face.

timmyp53

So cool hearing the great impressions. I have my sealed copy. Think I'm gonna wait till the co-op mode drops.

Currently playing God of War 2018 for the first time at 4K60 (v1.0). Don't think I'll be done anytime soon.

Ar¢tos

This game is surprisingly good. First few levels are “ok” but it really gets going after that. What a nice surprise in the launch lineup.

Oh, and the music is dope. Like WTF?!
I was surprised by the licensed songs, wasn't expecting it. Is Playstation finally getting along with Sony Music?

ultrazilla

Sackboy is a must buy on PS5, I'm really enjoying it. Solid performance, awesome musical score, spot on control and great graphics/effects.

As others have mentioned, it's strange Sony isn't pushing this one more. If you are seeking a new platformer for your new PS5, make it Sackboy!

b1a2c4b27e5337cc2704d0b21e62d086fd30962c_00.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

Golgo 13

I was surprised by the licensed songs, wasn't expecting it. Is Playstation finally getting along with Sony Music?
Very surprising. Also very interesting how well placed the music is in relationship to the levels; none of it feels tacked on so far — it’s almost as if the developers cared. 😳

PSX2007

Neo Member
I'm playing on PS4. This game is bringing me so much joy at a time when joy is needed! It's one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long while. I am a huge fan of Super Mario 3D World. This game doesn't even try to hide the fact that it is blatantly copying that game (from the isometric viewpoint to the platforming skill levels). Which, dock points for lack of originality, I guess. But this game copies it so well that I don't even care. The platforming is fun and gets increasingly more challenging as you go along but never unfairly so (I was playing Crash 4 before this, and it's a breath of fresh air compared to that game which left me turning off my PS4 frustrated way too many times). The visuals are vibrant, colorful, and beautiful (only knock is that the character design for enemies is a bit bland). The music is the real star, as has been mentioned (I've favorited the playlist Sony put out on Spotify). I hemmed and hawed about paying $60 for this -- but I am super glad I did. I'm not normally a completionist, but doing so seems so attainable here and the game is so fun that I totally see myself going for 100%. I find myself grinning from ear-to-ear so much while playing, and I really needed that in this dark winter.

Side note: Anyone else think this game was originally designed to be compatible with PSVR? There are so many times I'm bummed it's not, and I wonder if making it a PS5 launch title is the reason it's not?

John Day

The Sixth Axis Review

What a cuck 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Is it necessary grab all of the orbs? I want to get this, but every video I see has the player constantly getting orbs and they are everywhere. I'd rather have them less abundant and actually mean something. Can I just avoid getting them and play solely for the platforming, or do they serve a function outside of collecting?

Shakka43

Is it necessary grab all of the orbs? I want to get this, but every video I see has the player constantly getting orbs and they are everywhere. I'd rather have them less abundant and actually mean something. Can I just avoid getting them and play solely for the platforming, or do they serve a function outside of collecting?
The red orbs are just for score points, the clear ones have costume pieces and the bronze ones are equivalent to in-game money that you use to buy more costumes.
The blue ones called "Dreamer Orbs" are the only ones necessary to advanced the Story as you need certain amounts to jump from one map to the next one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom