• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SAG-AFTRA Gears Up For Possible Strike Against Video Game Industry As Board Approves Authorization Vote By Guild Membership

New tweet from SAG-AFTRA President urging members to approve strike authorization against video game companies:

SAG-AFTRA, which has been on strike against film and scripted TV productions since July 14, is now gearing up for another possible strike – this one against the video game industry. The guild’s last strike against the gaming companies, in 2016-17, lasted 183 days.

The guild’s national board has voted unanimously to send a strike authorization vote to members in preparation of its upcoming bargaining dates with 10 signatory video game companies. Voting for the strike authorization will begin on September 5 and end on September 25.
“Here we go again,” said SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher. “Now our Interactive Video Game Agreement is at a stalemate too. Once again we are facing employer greed and disrespect. Once again artificial intelligence is putting our members in jeopardy of reducing their opportunity to work. And once again, SAG-AFTRA is standing up to tyranny on behalf of its members.”

“The overlap of these two SAG-AFTRA contracts,” she said, “is no coincidence, but rather a predictable issue impacting our industry as well as others all over the world. The disease of greed is spreading like wildfire ready to burn workers out of their livelihoods and humans out of their usefulness. We at SAG-AFTRA say ‘No. Not on our watch.’”
“It has been nearly a year since SAG-AFTRA’s video game contract, the Interactive Media Agreement, was extended beyond the original expiration date as we negotiated with the companies for critical terms SAG-AFTRA members need,” the guild said in a statement. “Unfortunately, throughout the negotiations, the companies have failed to address those needs. For this reason, the negotiating committee and National Board unanimously agreed that the union should have a member-approved strike authorization in hand when bargaining resumes on Sept. 26.

In addition to AI protections, SAG-AFTRA says it’s seeking “the same wage increases for video game performers as for those who work under the film and television contracts: 11% retroactive to expiration and 4% increases in the second and third years of the agreement — necessary for members’ wages to keep up with inflation.”
The union is also asking for on-camera performers to have the same five-minutes-per-hour rest period that off-camera performers are entitled to. The guild also wants a set medic present when stunts or hazardous work is performed, just like on a film or television set; prohibitions against stunts on self-taped auditions; and vocal stress protections.

Duncan Crabtree-Ireland, the guild’s national executive director and chief negotiator, said that “The voice and performance capture artists who bring video game characters to life deserve a contract that reflects the value they bring to the multibillion-dollar gaming industry. Voice and performance capture AI are already among the most advanced uses of AI: the threat is here and it is real. Without contractual protections, the employers are asking performers to unknowingly participate in the extinction of their artistry and livelihoods.”
The 10 companies facing a possible strike are:
  • Activision Productions Inc.,
  • Blindlight LLC,
  • Disney Character Voices Inc.,
  • Electronic Arts Productions Inc.,
  • Epic Games, Inc.,
  • Formosa Interactive LLC,
  • Insomniac Games Inc.,
  • Take 2 Productions Inc.,
  • VoiceWorks Productions Inc., and
  • WB Games Inc.

Last edited:

Tsaki

"AI protections"

3SXDe8U.gif

Spyxos

Gold Member
Oh great.

So that I understand, it's about actors appearing in video games?

Last edited:

dottme

StueyDuck

All 5 voice actors will be out of work I guess...

Jokes aside AI was always gonna infiltrate gaming way before movies and TV... they needa populate massive open worlds with 100s and 100s of unique npcs with potentially unique dialog. AI just cuts costs drastically in that scenario.

This also let's me down because I'd love to see gaming npcs become more reactive and have unique sandbox style interactions. It's a shame that sort of tech may get throttled by a strike

ProtoByte

I remember Troy Baker talking about this with Jaffe a few years back when there was a possibility of a strike specifically against the games industry. He wasn't a fan of the idea.

If I didn't agree with the film/TV strikes from SAG, I think a strike against videogames would be a) ridiculous and b) ironically beneficial. It's the same 10 people who get cast for everything, and they're not even that good. Laura Bailey is played out, and Travis Willingham just sucks.

Last edited:

Begleiter

I remember the actor who played Roman (you know, your cousin) talking about the lack of residuals as well. This isn't a bad thing as long as it doesn't lead to hacks like Ashly Burch being in everything. An era of PS1 quality voice acting would really take me back, too.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
CTRL+F Capcom
CTRL+ F From Software

Ok we good here. And I stand 100% behind the strikes. Not a joke. Seriously the amount of disrespect and just cruelty by the studios has gone out of control. Pay everyone better assholes. And fuck you Bob Iger.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

CTRL+F Capcom
CTRL+ F From Software
Why you're giving preferential judgement to these publishers/studios.

Ok we good here. And I stand 100% behind the strikes. Not a joke. Seriously the amount of disrespect and just cruelty by the studios has gone out of control. Pay everyone better assholes. And fuck you Bob Iger.
With what fucking money?
This is what I can't stand about games industry discourse. You want larger scoped games with better graphics and presentation, but you don't want them to take more than 5 years to make or cost more than 60 dollars to buy, and you also don't want developers working overtime (and getting paid handsomely for it, including in QA). Now, you throw on unionism on top of it. When do you realise that it's not realistic?

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
With what fucking money?
This is what I can't stand about games industry discourse. You want larger scoped games with better graphics and presentation, but you don't want them to take more than 5 years to make or cost more than 60 dollars to buy, and you also don't want developers working overtime (and getting paid handsomely for it, including in QA). Now, you throw on unionism on top of it. When do you realise that it's not realistic?
I didn't say one fucking thing about any of that. You literally made up an entire post in your head and replied to it.

Good luck at the Special Olympics.

ProtoByte

I didn't say one fucking thing about any of that. You literally made up an entire post in your head and replied to it.

Good luck at the Special Olympics.
Special Olympics for someone who can't see the colloquial use of "you". I'm talking about core gamers as a whole.

You're also not going out of your deny that you are personally in that demographic.

People fighting for their jobs and to avoid being replaced by AI just for companies to make some more free money.

Neogaf: "lol fuck off".

Never change nerds.
Even on the off-topic side the reactions are...interesting. People want AI replacement for the entire film industry just to spite Marvel, DC, and Star Wars.

Edit: Or they'll blindly stand against it all because a Purple website stands with it. 😂

Spite-style decision making.

Last edited:
Crazy that it’s mostly publishers being targeted, and then insomniac games.

But then, they do have the output of a publisher so maybe…

Sleepwalker

Even on the off-topic side the reactions are...interesting. People want AI replacement for the entire film industry just to spite Marvel, DC, and Star Wars.

Edit: Or they'll blindly stand against it all because a Purple website stands with it. 😂

Spite-style decision making.

I support them in their fight against hollywood studios 100%.

However, I don't really care if NPC voices become AI generated and think it will be a net positive for game development times. Some will still get gigs as no doubt the important characters in games will be voiced by humans but for example Skyrim has over 70 voice actors in its credits, a lot of them with a few lines recorded for NPCs, in this case AI is a positive.

theclaw135

Banned
what better way to fight against AI than refusing to work and leaving all of it to AI to do

As long as copyright law stands intact, the fears of AI are misdirected. Non-human "works" cannot be copyrighted. (pirates would have a field day with a major movie or game that used so much AI content, it was afforded no legal protection)

We should be more afraid of using AI for identity theft and such.

Last edited:

SScorpio

I support them in their fight against hollywood studios 100%.

However, I don't really care if NPC voices become AI generated and think it will be a net positive for game development times. Some will still get gigs as no doubt the important characters in games will be voiced by humans but for example Skyrim has over 70 voice actors in its credits, a lot of them with a few lines recorded for NPCs, in this case AI is a positive.
If the voice acting can be rendered on the fly that would be huge space savings, and the same "voice" could do the performance in any language. And they can even speak your character's custom name.

I saw a short demo where someone dubbed an anime in English with a model of the original Japanese voice actor. All the dubs are trash and they screwed up the essence of how that character is supposed to sound goes out the window.

As long as copyright law stands intact, the fears of AI are misdirected. Non-human "works" cannot be copyrighted.

I heard an interview on the radio going over this that was scary. It was a reporter who is a public figure, for the segment a white hat spoofed their phone number, and faked their voice to get information in a simulated attack on an unknown person.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
As long as copyright law stands intact, the fears of AI are misdirected. Non-human "works" cannot be copyrighted. (pirates would have a field day with a major movie or game that used so much AI content, it was afforded no legal protection)

The law is going to change. It's just a matter of time. I'm not too worried about it either way.

BbMajor7th

Good for them. I know a lot of them personally and it's a gruelling gig by all accounts. If you don't believe me, roar like a giant ten times in a row - your throat is probably soar by now, but the director needs another 20-30.takes, then, they need a half-dozen goblin dying screeches, 20 flame elemental growls and 50 assorted zombie grunts.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Crazy that it’s mostly publishers being targeted, and then insomniac games.

But then, they do have the output of a publisher so maybe…
They seem to be hitting those with ties to major film and television IP that are HQ’ed in California. Insomniac has two Marvel IPs in their portfolio and are based in Burbank. It makes it easier to take the fight to them.
WB Games - Harry Potter, DC, and based in Burbank
EA Games - Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, Black Panther, and based in San Mateo.
Activision - Based in Santa Monica with several licensed IPs with Call of Duty being notorious for using real actors, musicians, political figures, etc in their games.

Last edited:

Eotheod

Honestly, I think they are over-playing their hand.
They don't have the leverage economically or in terms of public support. Its doomed to failure.
Most because the average Joe would be surprised to know there even is an actual voice actor in their game instead of what they assumed to just be the developers saying shit.

Good for them. I know a lot of them personally and it's a gruelling gig by all accounts. If you don't believe me, roar like a giant ten times in a row - your throat is probably soar by now, but the director needs another 20-30.takes, then, they need a half-dozen goblin dying screeches, 20 flame elemental growls and 50 assorted zombie grunts.
learn2code

Jinzo Prime

They can have my 12 hour shift, I'll take that 30x dragon roar, 6 hour "job" any day 😂

StereoVsn

People fighting for their jobs and to avoid being replaced by AI just for companies to make some more free money.

Neogaf: "lol fuck off".

Never change nerds.
Yeah, folks on the board need to stop equating workers fighting for their rights against giant corporations as something political or being woke.

Stop being ridiculous people, most of these strikes are about corpos trying to do sneaky shit like trying to basically get image likeness/voice forever to use with AI and without any sort of residuals.

StereoVsn

"And once again, SAG-AFTRA is standing up to tyranny on behalf of its members."

Tyranny?

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF
Studios and Streaming companies are trying to pull some bad shit basically. I am sure EA, MS, Activision and so on are trying the same.

A lot of it is to do with Corporations trying to grab actor likeness and voice for future projects a part of a contract without paying residuals. It's nothing good for actors or frankly for anyone as it sets a bad precedent.

Topher

Gold Member
Studios and Streaming companies are trying to pull some bad shit basically. I am sure EA, MS, Activision and so on are trying the same.

A lot of it is to do with Corporations trying to grab actor likeness and voice for future projects a part of a contract without paying residuals. It's nothing good for actors or frankly for anyone as it sets a bad precedent.

That's fine. I just don't think "tyranny" is the right word. I see news stories around the world where people suffer from true tyranny. This doesn't rise to that level, imo.

Top Bottom