• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SAG-AFTRA Gears Up For Possible Strike Against Video Game Industry As Board Approves Authorization Vote By Guild Membership

Yonyx

Yeah, folks on the board need to stop equating workers fighting for their rights against giant corporations as something political or being woke.

Stop being ridiculous people, most of these strikes are about corpos trying to do sneaky shit like trying to basically get image likeness/voice forever to use with AI and without any sort of residuals.
It had to be said and it was said...

Well said :messenger_clapping:

Imagine if the current video game industry was something like "hey, we need to implement pathfinding, call Dijkstra LLC and tell them to licence us their algorithms"... that wouldn't work... I don't see why actors want to be paid perpetually for their job on a game when the actual developers aren't...

Because they look at tv and movies and feel like their participation in game development should be outsized like their contributions in tv and movies.

Ultimately, it comes down to the pie and what is sustainable. Games could cost 100 dollars and maybe there would be more pie to go around or maybe people would just game less.

One thing that has driven the decline in theatergoers is the cost of a movie ticket, but by raising prices, they were able to reinvest in theaters across the country. So there is SOME give and take there.

I think of all participants in game development, voice actors are among the least important, and that isn't to say that they're not important. I'm not advocating that we go back to games without voice acting in many cases, but some of the best games of all time have no mocap and no voice acting.

It's a tough profession though because unlike a programmer for example, you aren't going to be employed year-round. You're almost certainly a contractor/gig worker.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah, folks on the board need to stop equating workers fighting for their rights against giant corporations as something political or being woke.

Stop being ridiculous people, most of these strikes are about corpos trying to do sneaky shit like trying to basically get image likeness/voice forever to use with AI and without any sort of residuals.

Having worked before for one of the big corpos involved in all of this shit, I can absolutely say this post is correct.

The lack of any interest in what's actually going on demonstrated by so many people here is incredible.

We've reached a point where it's more important for people to virtue signal about their political affiliations than it is to make the effort to have an informed opinion.

And an informed opinion on all of these strikes is this:

Big companies very bad. Workers sometimes bad, sometimes good - but all being treated unfairly by greedy executives.

00_Zer0

Actually, I am surprised that Fran Drescher's tits don't SAG-AFTRA all these years.
WuWcMHp.png

Top Bottom