• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac | Official Trailer | Netflix

Typhares

The legendary anime returns to Netflix!

Join the adventures of young warriors called "Knights", sworn protectors of the reincarnated Greek goddess Athena, as they fight powerful Olympian gods bent on destroying humankind.
The battle begins summer 2019!

Boss Mog

Netflix, continuing to shit on my childhood I see. This looks awful. Why do they have V2 cloths? And Shun's voice, yeah he was always a bit effeminate and gentle, but he's was a man voiced by a man, he just had a gentler voice than the others, now they just turned him into a woman basically.

Last edited:

El_Belmondo

Netflix, continuing to shit on my childhood I see. This looks awful. Why do they have V2 cloths? And Shun's voice, yeah he was always a bit effeminate and gentle, but he's was a man voiced by a man, he just had a gentler voice than the others, now they just turned him into a woman basically.

Well, it seems to be directed by Kurumada and Kurumada's idea of Shun was exactly that, it was Toei who gave him the masculino touches

God Enel

I’ve never heard of this manga/anime. But this Netflix production looks like cheap PS2 CGI.

Is there a manga? And if it is, is it worth to read?

El_Belmondo

I’ve never heard of this manga/anime. But this Netflix production looks like cheap PS2 CGI.

There is a manga, but it isn't really worth reading. You'll be fine with the classic anime (ignoring the bad filler) and the Hades seasons (Sanctuary+Meikai+Elysium)

For a Quick guide, the Steel Saints and the abbys Saints are bad filler, however the Steel saints are there as bystanders in some relevant events so you'll have to put up with them anyway. Asgard is Really good filler.

The main issue with Saint Seiya is precisely its creator, Masami Kurumada. That guy seems to work basically over templates, and you spend more than half of the manga seeing the same poses and face expresiones over and over again. It gets better over time, but even in the last arc, still in development, those issues are there.

Kurumads also has the final boss syndrome. Antagonists are there just to fight the main characters and he makes them barely interesting on a personal level, and the fights are RPG fights.

Toei Animation did their best to fix this as nicely as they could. There's still bad filler because of course there are, but it works better.

The manga has redeeming qualities that makes it worth reading though. The first three arcs are fairly different and it is more Bloody and crude. Some plot points have a different resolution and some development are better.

When it comes to Saint Seiya, there's no real consensus because of how different the manga and anime are, moreso in the first arcs. I am an anime advocate, but someone will recommend you the manga. My advice: The manga is really fast to read, read it first and then see the anime. There's also some spin-offs worth reading: Episode G and Lost Can as, both prequels, but you should start from the original

Last edited:

El_Belmondo

Eesh, that 3D rendered art style. It looks like a Bandai Namco game.

Well, the franchise belongs to Bamco in the videogame departament after all.

This is supposedly made by Toei, but i can see them offloading the work over some associated studio.

To be honest, i'm dissapointed, i was expecting something in the line of the one of the Saint Seiya Pachinko or the Spin off Saintia Shö, but this looks line one of those 3D cartoons, like Miraculous Ladybug.

The soundtrack is nowhere to be seen, either. Saint Seiya loses a great part if its spirit without its epic tunes

Thiagosc777

Well, it seems to be directed by Kurumada and Kurumada's idea of Shun was exactly that, it was Toei who gave him the masculino touches

Wrong! This is the guy who's responsible for it. And it has nothing to do with Kurumada, it's just political activism.

Thiagosc777

Not only that, they are changing names of some Knights to make them sound "diverse".

Boss Mog

Wrong! This is the guy who's responsible for it. And it has nothing to do with Kurumada, it's just political activism.

Pretty much what I figured, one guy pushing his agenda down everybody's throat. Shun was a cool character, he wasn't as one-dimensional as many of the others. He was also, at least at the start of the series, by far the strongest bronze saint, he just never fights close to his maximum power cause he hates fighting and hurting others.

If they wanted to turn a character into a woman, Pisces Aphrodite would've been a far better choice, though not changing established characters is always the best choice.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
I don't even know this show but it's kinda ridiculous to change an old character and turn him into a girl for the sake of progressiveness. I think even our most progressive user's can agree with that.

Thiagosc777

Pretty much what I figured, one guy pushing his agenda down everybody's throat. Shun was a cool character, he wasn't as one-dimensional as many of the others. He was also, at least at the start of the series, by far the strongest bronze saint, he just never fights close to his maximum power cause he hates fighting and hurting others.

If they wanted to turn a character into a woman, Pisces Aphrodite would've been a far better choice, though not changing established characters is always the best choice.

Do you want to bet that they are going to turn her into a tomboy girl who is "just as tough as the boys" and be "the voice of reason"? And that there will be plenty of scenes of her saving everybody's ass (as opposed to Ikki saving Shun every single time)? And everyone will tell her how tough and great she is? That'd not only change his gender, but also his personality.

Well, I won't watch this garbage anyways.

Do you remember how in many fights Shun would get his ass kicked and Ikki would show up? They will never do that now that Shun is a girl. That'd be "sexist".

El_Belmondo

Well, i have no issues with Shun being changed to a woman per se, but if they do it, at least respect the canon. Female Saints have to a mask per Athena's dictate, full stop.

Do you remember how in many fights Shun would get his ass kicked and Ikki would show up? They will never do that now that Shun is a girl. That'd be "sexist".

Just have something to say about this: It happens waaaay more on the Anime than on the Manga. It ended up becoming quite tiresome and even from my yougest years i think it SHOULDN'T be a staple of the character. Remeber the Shun vs Reda&Spica fight right before the 12 temples? That one was cool as fuck.

Also, i wonder why did Toei allow those changes.

EDIT: Well, i just read the guy's justification. That... i don't like so much. My favorite characters have always been Andromeda Shun and Phoenix Ikki, i always loved the contrast between them and how Ikki was the rowdy, fighter type with an extreme power output right from the start and how Shun was the pacifist, seemingly weak but extremely powerful when serious, Shun was also shown to have a love interest and his Scylla fight was AWESOME (Well, even his Unicorn and Black Andromeda fights were awesome. Fuck, Shun IS awesome)

The series had enough female saints to add to the group. How about Chameleon June? Strong, has a whip and is Shun's love interest, and you can also get characters from Episode G if you want or... i dunno, there's 108 constellations you can get your sains from. Just pick one.

I guess i'll watch it. I want to. But just as a reinterpretation of the original Saint Seiya.

Last edited:

LordPezix

Holy hard pass... Was this done by the studio that did Veggie Tales? What in lords name is that CGI?

First they CGI Berserk and now this...

Shouta

Looks pretty good considering it's 3D but that's not a high bar either, lol.

I might watch this. As a fan of the original, I'm pretty okay with them trying the series with Shun as a girl instead. Shun was the diversity slot in the original, anyway. He looked feminine and was associated with Andromeda and was meant to contrast with the other characters. So going from one type to another isn't that big of a deal. Since it's an original series and they're doing their own thing with it, I don't see the need to get up in arms. It's not like they're making this canon to the original.

Thiagosc777

Looks pretty good considering it's 3D but that's not a high bar either, lol.

I might watch this. As a fan of the original, I'm pretty okay with them trying the series with Shun as a girl instead. Shun was the diversity slot in the original, anyway. He looked feminine and was associated with Andromeda and was meant to contrast with the other characters. So going from one type to another isn't that big of a deal. Since it's an original series and they're doing their own thing with it, I don't see the need to get up in arms. It's not like they're making this canon to the original.

I would like to see your reaction when the new Shun becomes the toughest Knight of all, because "girl power"!!! Even in the trailer Seiya is saying how something she did is awesome.

Hahaha. It is shit.

Shouta

I would like to see your reaction when the new Shun becomes the toughest Knight of all, because "girl power"!!! Even in the trailer Seiya is saying how something she did is awesome.

Hahaha. It is shit.

Shun was pretty inconsistently portrayed between the manga and the anime, as I recall. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Shouta

Then you have never read the manga nor watched the anime.

I have. Shun's battle prowess was portrayed pretty differently between the two but hey, continue doubting someone's credibility because you don't agree with them and you're hating something because they're trying something new. :lollipop_kissing_smiling:

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

I have. Shun's battle prowess was portrayed pretty differently between the two but hey, continue to second guess someone because you don't agree with them and you're hating something because they're trying something new. :lollipop_kissing_smiling:

All the main characters had very well defined personalities in both manga and anime. There's no inconsistensy. The most badass character was Ikki, who wouldn't hesitate to kill the enemies. Shun was effeminate, sensitive and would fight only as a last resort. Seiya and others were also badass, but not murderous like Ikki.

If you like shit, it's your problem. But don't try to call the original "inconsistent" in order to justify this PC nonsense. The creators of the series have nothing to do with this, it was all this guy:

pramod

Banned
U know theres a reason why the original Saint Seiya never made it out to the US...it just isnt very good. Its like Dragon ball without the charm and humor.

Netflix keeps reviving all these 2nd tier anime franchises. I will pass on this one.

Last edited:

Typhares

I disagree with El_Belmondo El_Belmondo and think the manga is very much worth reading. It is a product of its time but it is a classic shonen part of the worlwide culture at this point.
Sure you could also just watch the anime but personally I always like reading the original material.

Disapointed about Shun I thought they only changed the voice not make him a woman because she wasn't wearing a mask. So now it just makes no sense.

Top Bottom