• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakura Taisen 1 + 2 (PSP) release date announced

Izzy

Banned
It's 3/9/06 in Japan.

Methinks it's getting crowded - Gradius Portable, Naruto, Suikoden 1 & 2, Daisenryaku Portable, Every Extend Extra, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner, Kinnikuman, Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and now Sakura Taisen 1 & 2 are all due for Feb/Mar release in Japan.

jarrod

Banned
Tabris said:
They better let us have Suikoden 1+2 (2 more days until Luca Blight!)
They probably won't. They also probably won't let us have...

-Breath of Fire III
-MegaMan Legends
-MegaMan Legends 2
-Tales of Eternia
-Princess Crown
-Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
-Harvest Moon: Back to Nature

...pretty much the only 32bit port I can see SCEA letting slip through is Valkyrie Profile Lenneth. And that only because they'd be retarded not to, there's no use in pissing off the one company who can keep your platform going in Japan.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
If Sega even wanted to bring them over since as far as I know the only ST they were even interested in bring to the US was the action game.
Working Designs would've done it... but we all know what happened there. ;)

I hope Alundra gets ported to PSP. SCEA doesn't seem to have any problem with 32bit ports provided they're produced by their parent.

Vandiger

jarrod said:
Yay, more games SCEA won't let us have!

You may have a point with SCEA but there is an alarming trend to have 2d games being relegated to ancient hardware like GBA so don't but all the blame on SCEA, its in some ways going on in both Nintendo and MS.

You decide :p

jarrod said:

Didn't Sega shoot them down when they wanted to bring it over? I know I remember reading somewhere that they were interested in bringing the Saturn versions over and Sega wasn't into it.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Didn't Sega shoot them down when they wanted to bring it over? I know I remember reading somewhere that they were interested in bringing the Saturn versions over and Sega wasn't into it.
Bernie led SEGA. The SEGA of today is a different matter entirely.

Even so, ST is a pretty attractive license. I could see Atlus USA going for it in a second, especially since they have a great relationship with RED and already worked with SEGA on the GBA Shining games. I can also see them bringing PC and SMT: DS if SCEA allowed.

ST's always been a series that'd be nice if it were brought over, but I don't think most companies are willing to go for it because there's alot to translate and its not going to sell all that well. Atlus already has Bumpy Trot, Metal Saga and probably Devil Summoner 2 to bring over.

Mrbob

Perhaps some of these games will come to Europe and we can import them? Region free for PSP is nice in this aspect.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
jarrod said:
At first I was going to write something scathing here, but then I thought about it and figured you might be onto something.

There'd be one hell of a battle between any hypothetical WD versions of ST games and what Ouji actually did for ST4 and 5 to see who could be more proficient at raping the ST franchise and shitting down its throat.

If this sells more than 250K I'll be shocked.
Vandiger said:
You search :p

Danj

Izzy said:
It's 3/9/06 in Japan.

Where did you see this information? Even on the official site it just says Spring 2006, and nobody seems to have it up for preorder yet.

Mrbob said:
Perhaps some of these games will come to Europe and we can import them? Region free for PSP is nice in this aspect.

They're even less likely to come to Europe than they are to come to the USA. And if they did come to Europe, it's 100% guaranteed that the Japanese audio would be ripped out and replaced by some horrible dub, because of SCEE's policy of disallowing Japanese language in games.

Besides, there is nothing stopping you importing it anyway; there are fairly comprehensive translation FAQs available for the Dreamcast versions of ST1 and ST2.

Mrbob said:

Tales of Eternia is/was slated for a Euro release in the very near future i believe. Princess Crown is slated for a US release as well so there's two down.

The PSP in the US has a very XBOX feeling to it, almost all american style games. Definitely not what i was hoping for or expecting but who knows.

Suikoden 1 + 2 was totally shot down if i'm remembering right. The news came days after the game was announced for a JP release. I only remember because someone around here was absolutely furious about it and talking about petition and letters and whatnot to konami. Will try to find the post later once i'm done reading the boards heh.

michael000 said:
Tales of Eternia is/was slated for a Euro release in the very near future i believe. Princess Crown is slated for a US release as well so there's two down.
About the first one, 10 February seems to be the new official release date. No confirmation about language, but I guess it'll be only in English.

Tsubaki

HomerSimpson-Man said:
So uh, what are these games, I see the names but Sega really never brought them over like ever for how many generations?

Premise:
You take the role of Oogami Ichirou, a just-graduated naval ensign. When you begin Sakura Taisen, you are transferred to be the commander of the Teikokukagekidan Hanagumi. That phrase can be translated in two ways, depending on the characters used: Imperial Floral Assault Team, Flower Division, or Imperial Opera Team, Flower Division. This pun is the subject of the game in the beginning, but I'll just leave it at that. It turns out that the Hanagumi is full of females, which is a bit of a disappointment to you, since you're a soldier type of person. But alas, throughout the game, you bond with them, making friendships and earning their respect, and you may even develop feelings for them. Of course, what's a Dramatic Adventure without an enemy trying to destroy Japan?

Gameplay:
There are basically 3 elements of any Sakura Taisen game: Adventure, Battles, Minigames.

The adventure mode is basically you walking around and talking to people. And usually there are only so many opportunities to do so. For instance, you may have one hour to walk around, and every location you go to takes 10 minutes. The unique thing about ST is the LIPS system, where basically some of your responses are timed. That is, if someone is asking you an urgent question, you need to pick your answer within a specified time frame. Not picking a choice is also a choice. There are elements from dating sims in this game, because if you answer a question "correctly", your teammate's opinion of you rises and consequently, they are more powerful in battle. Conversely, say the wrong thing, and they may be weak in battle. You will also get a different ending (well, part of the ending) depending on which character has the highest opinion of you by the end of the game.

When you have to fight enemies, usually once or twice per episode, it becomes like an SRPG, where you fight enemies on an isometric 3/4 overhead view, not unlike games like Final Fantasy Tactics or Ogre Battle. There's no experience points, and there's some things unique to ST. You will generally have the option of Attack, Hissatsu(it's like a "super" that can be performed when your "super" meter is filled), Defend, and Heal. You as commander, also have a limited amount of "Protects" where you will take the hit for one of your teammates causing neither of you to take any damage. The battles tend to be on the easy side, and depending on which game you're talking about, the specifics of the battles are different.

Finally, there's minigames. Generally there are minigames for each teammate of yours that you have to "find" in the main game in order to play. There is also generally a main minigame in each game. The character specific minigames tend to be very simple and focused games. For instance, Sakura's minigame in ST has forced vertical scrolling where you must dodge all obstacles and reach the end. So shooter skills pay off here. But the "main minigame" of ST is Koi Koi Taisen, a variant of the Japanese card game, Hanafuda. I've spent countless hours on most of the minigames.

For a beginner, I recommend starting at the first game. The graphics may be a bit dated (It came out in 1996), but it's among my top 3 games of all time. Sakura Taisen 3 is another decent starting point, revamps the graphics and the game engine, and is the best game in the series. Also among my top 3 games of all time. ST3 is a decent starting point because it takes place in France, so most of it is a new cast anyway. However, it would help if you knew about the events of the previous two games.

If you're a graphic whore though, and want to check out the series, perhaps ST3 is the best place to start. ST4 is the worst place to start out and I would heavily recommend not bothering with it at all unless you've played ST 1-3.

The Sakura games are pretty deep though... I've played Sakura Taisen 13x through now and I'm still having a blast. There are so many events, so many extras and details, and of course different endings, that you can play it again and again and find new things each time.

Wow, thanks for the detailed impressiosn Tsubaki. More than I thought I would get.

Game does sound interesting and as well as something that probably won't make over here, a shame, I would have played it.

Tsubaki

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Wow, thanks for the detailed impressiosn Tsubaki. More than I thought I would get.

Ah, well I copied and pasted it from another post I had a long time ago. I used to be the Sakura whore, so I've written tons of stuff on the game throughout several message boards and usenet posts.

Sega lost me with ST4 and with every subsequent Sakura release, has degraded the series more and more. I hope ST1&2 bomb for them out of spite (like the 8th time they're selling the same game), but eh... I'm sure it'll sell ok.

Danj

Tsubaki said:
But the "main minigame" of ST is Koi Koi Taisen, a variant of the Japanese card game, Hanafuda.

Was there ever a standalone version of Koi Koi Taisen? Either official or third party or homebrew/PC shareware or whatever? I did some searching a while back but didn't find any good Hanafuda games... I guess everyone making card game software just does Solitaire or Poker or something and leaves it at that?

cvxfreak

Are these versions of ST 1 + 2 based on the PS2 remake (I know the first was remade but I can't be sure about the second one)?

Tsubaki

Second game was not remade for the PS2. And the PSP versions are based off of the Saturn 1 & 2. Don't think of that as a bad thing, since the PS2 remake didn't turn out to be the definitive version of the game anyway. It did some things ok, and screwed up other things.

And to Danj, I'm sure you know this but Sakura Taisen Online actually has the best version of Koikoi style Hanafuda I've played. (Don't know anything about standalone hanafuda games... Last Blade 2 j-DC has a basic hanafuda minigame but devoid of the personality of ST ones.) The interface is a lot easier to look for hands, plus you get all 13+ characters for some amusing voice samples.

mutsu

Looks like all the games are geared up for the Feb and Mar suggests that Sony is going to try to make a strong strong comeback. I wouldn't be surprised if a price drop comes around that same time too, or maybe another value bundle or something.

Looks like Sony is trying to make up the ground it lost. Maybe a little too late already by then though.

Danj

Tsubaki said:
And to Danj, I'm sure you know this but Sakura Taisen Online actually has the best version of Koikoi style Hanafuda I've played. (Don't know anything about standalone hanafuda games... Last Blade 2 j-DC has a basic hanafuda minigame but devoid of the personality of ST ones.) The interface is a lot easier to look for hands, plus you get all 13+ characters for some amusing voice samples.

I didn't know it actually... I don't have ST Online. I see it's easy enough to get hold of (seems to be on sale for $19.90 at Play-Asia) but I don't have a way to connect my Dreamcast to the Internet (never did get around to getting my dad to build me a line simulator to use with the modem, and setting up my linux box as a PPP server would undoubtedly have been a pain anyway - and the ethernet adapter seems to be as rare as hens' teeth).

Tsubaki

Danj said:
I didn't know it actually... I don't have ST Online. I see it's easy enough to get hold of (seems to be on sale for $19.90 at Play-Asia) but I don't have a way to connect my Dreamcast to the Internet (never did get around to getting my dad to build me a line simulator to use with the modem, and setting up my linux box as a PPP server would undoubtedly have been a pain anyway - and the ethernet adapter seems to be as rare as hens' teeth).

Oh, well I'm pretty certain they no longer support the online game of STO cuz Sega took down their servers to their online games a few years ago. But STO can also be played offline. You lose the communication and "adventure" aspects, but you still can unlock characters and play the four minigames: Hanafuda, MJ, Poker, and Daifugou.

The nice thing about MJ is that it's real JP mahjong and more importantly, it's 4p, the way it's supposed to be! Also, Poker has regular Poker and Texas Hold 'Em style. Each of the mini games have variations of how they play with options you can configure.

STO is really a great standalone game. I saw it going for like $15 at Play-asia at some point. I paid like $80 for it (Limited Edition) and don't really regret it. It's a billion times more fun than ST4 :p

Shouta

Definitely another title that'll get shot down for US release. Not that it was anything special though.

Koshiba

If they'd give english releases of stuff like Suikoden and this, I'd be more than willing to finally go pick up a PSP. I've been wanting to try the ST games for a while now. :( The games out in the US for the PSP right now just really for the most part don't appeal to me a whole lot, not enough for me to drop the money for one at least.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Methinks it's getting crowded - Gradius Portable, Naruto, Suikoden 1 & 2, Daisenryaku Portable, Every Extend Extra, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner, Kinnikuman, Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and now Sakura Taisen 1 & 2 are all due for Feb/Mar release in Japan."

portable
port... able...
port-able...
port...a ... ble

Will this crowding help or hinder sales? I can't decide!

Jonnyram

Izzy said:
It's 3/9/06 in Japan.

Methinks it's getting crowded - Gradius Portable, Naruto, Suikoden 1 & 2, Daisenryaku Portable, Every Extend Extra, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner, Kinnikuman, Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and now Sakura Taisen 1 & 2 are all due for Feb/Mar release in Japan.
Bloody hell, it's getting hot in here.
But one thing that is disconcerting... when I look at that list, I realise they are nearly all ports. Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner could be the only original game in that hectic schedule :(

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I've got the original Saturn releases (¥400 total!) but aside from portability, has there been any announcements as to why this would be something to pick up? Add ons or anything?

Danj

Tsubaki said:
Oh, well I'm pretty certain they no longer support the online game of STO cuz Sega took down their servers to their online games a few years ago. But STO can also be played offline. You lose the communication and "adventure" aspects, but you still can unlock characters and play the four minigames: Hanafuda, MJ, Poker, and Daifugou.

The nice thing about MJ is that it's real JP mahjong and more importantly, it's 4p, the way it's supposed to be! Also, Poker has regular Poker and Texas Hold 'Em style. Each of the mini games have variations of how they play with options you can configure.

STO is really a great standalone game. I saw it going for like $15 at Play-asia at some point. I paid like $80 for it (Limited Edition) and don't really regret it. It's a billion times more fun than ST4 :p

I see there seems to be a Paris version of Sakura Taisen Online as well, what's the difference between that and the regular version, and is it worth picking up?

Tsubaki

Danj said:
I see there seems to be a Paris version of Sakura Taisen Online as well, what's the difference between that and the regular version, and is it worth picking up?

Same game but different starting points. I have Pari version, and the Parikagekidan cast is present when I fire up the game and the Teikokukagekidan peeps are unlockable. I presume that the Teito version, the Teikokukagidan are immediately playable and the Parikagekidan are unlocked.

Tabris

michael000 said:
Suikoden 1 + 2 was totally shot down if i'm remembering right. The news came days after the game was announced for a JP release. I only remember because someone around here was absolutely furious about it and talking about petition and letters and whatnot to konami. Will try to find the post later once i'm done reading the boards heh.

I made the post for the whole email thing. It wasn't shot down, just not mentioned for US release yet.

Currently, it's "no word of US release".

...and avatars are down :( No Luca Blight action until this is fixed.

Top Bottom