• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai's interview in Nintendo Dream: Bowser Jr almost didn't make in Smash 4 & more

NEO0MJ

I'm just making a joke since they're the other company that still produces larger scale fighting games in Japan, though I don't think he's wrong in that Capcom tends to be a bit more conservative whereas Namco can really go all in if they want.

Yeah, SF IV and seemingly SF V had small rosters at the start. MVC 3 had a pretty big roster, though.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Brian★;145572142 said:
I feel bad for Sakurai, for everything he did for us. lmao. take a break please.

No breaks. He working on Mewtwo now. I hope he actually gets a good nature and EV trains him properly.

Thanks Garou for the translations!

But this time it was fun to do "Duck Hunt" and its shooting-like presentation. Like having a third person intervening the action, being able to say "It's actually a trio" was fun. That's how we finalized it during development of the concept, saying "That's how we can make it work!".

Nintendo of Europe getting bent over again.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
When thinking about a Japanese company that can make a large-scale fighting-game, there was only this one company. It would be quite difficult for other companies I think.

Namco did a good job with this game, but I really hope they're not gonna continue with the series.

MS: Even now a tendonitis or something like that hasn't healed yet, I for example use my left hand to move a trackball. Smash Brothers is always a extremely hard development-process. Thinking about it now, I was quite lucky not getting sick in the past. I took care of myself a little better this time and it kind of worked out.

Whatever problem he had, it's not supposed to be a permanent condition/disease is it?

Brocken

Banned
To solve this problem we thought it would be better to have one single company work for us, so we choose to work with Bandai Namco Games who produce Tekken and other games. When thinking about a Japanese company that can make a large-scale fighting-game, there was only this one company. It would be quite difficult for other companies I think.

Poor Sega

ffdgh

I'm glad that they didn't give up on jr and the koopalings. It's great that the koopalings are finally getting the spinoff love they deserve along with mario kart 8 after all these years.

Iggy's the best <3

ND: That means in your project-proposal there are more characters than ended up in the game?

MS: Yes, but I won't tell which of course.

ND: (laughs). We were wondering all the time "Which characters will be in", and then the "long-time heroes" are announced just like that. We were wondering if that was the right way to announce them.

MS: After all we were planning on including so many characters, in the end this pace of announcing them was enough. Each and every character has fans, we wanted to drop as few as possible. About the order of which character has priority, the characters that don't have a new title coming up have an overwhelming disadvantage...even characters that we ended up including could have been left out if development had progressed differently. But even if 1 former character is left out, for the fans this is a huge thing. On our side, we are re-creating characters from the previous title, and keep on adding more, so the word "reduce" is not appropriate. There are cases where we simply couldn't make it in the end, but on the whole we did a good job I think and the people at Bandai Namco Games did a great job. We had discussions on giving up on something many many times, Bowser Jr. was on the brink of being cut but the staff said "We'll do our best!" and we made it.

If someone responds again to me saying I don't have any idea of how development works (lol, when I've worked in the idustry) everytime I say the 3DS version hurt development as a whole at the end, with the excuse that nothing would have been added to the WiiU one if the 3DS version wouldn't have exist Im going to show them this.
Development time and resources are not infinite, and this quote demonstrates he had things he had to cut as time passed.
I also think custom moves, as they are implemented now, are a waste of time, and would have been better if they were scrapped or worked differently. Of course all of this, including my hate for the 3DS version after having played a great amount of time with it, is my own opinion and you can think otherwise. But what you can't change is how time and resources work.

If someone responds again to me saying I don't have any idea of how development works (lol, when I've worked in the idustry) everytime I say the 3DS version hurt development as a whole at the end, with the excuse that nothing would have been added to the WiiU one if the 3DS version wouldn't have exist Im going to show them this.
Development time and resources are not infinite, and this quote demonstrates he had things he had to cut as time passed.
I also think custom moves, as they are implemented now, are a waste of time, and would have been better if they were scrapped or worked differently. Of course all of this, including my hate for the 3DS version after having played a great amount of time with it, is my own opinion and you can think otherwise. But what you can't change is how time and resources work.

Oh well. The 3DS version was still great. Nowt you can do about it.

Top Bottom