• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Salman Rushdie stabbed in neck, rushed to hospital (Up: out of surgery, on ventilator))

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62524922

Author Salman Rushdie, who suffered years of Islamist death threats after writing The Satanic Verses, has been attacked on stage in New York state.

The Booker Prize winner was speaking at an event at the Chautauqua Institution at the time.

New York State Police said a male suspect ran up onto the stage and attacked Mr Rushdie and an interviewer.
"Rushdie suffered an apparent stab wound to the neck," the police statement said.

The author was transported by helicopter to a local hospital. His condition is not currently known.

Last edited:

Jennings

I thought he was playing with fire recently by dredging up his long-existing fatwa and downplaying it with Larry David on a popular show like Curb Your Enthusiasm. It was a funny episode, but I sat there worried for him IRL the whole time. Some individuals really shouldn't be informed or reminded of stuff like that. I certainly hope this event is not related to the fatwa, but a part of me is willing to jump to the conclusion that it is.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fuck’s sake. Religious fruitcake scumbags 🤬
That's wacko religious people for ya.

I cant even comprehend how someone could be brainwashed into being extremely religious, and then to top it off go after people (ie. kill a dude like Rushdie) due to his religious views with bounties on their heads.

Imagine being an avocado addict or a BMW lover. There's going to be people in the world who hate avocados or thinks Mercedes are 10x better cars. Never seen someone killed over it.

But you cant criticize religion too much or else you're branded a hater. I guess as long as only 1% of religious people are crazy enough to do dumb shit, it flies under the radar as good enough.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I cant even comprehend how someone could be brainwashed into being extremely religious, and then to top it off go after people (ie. kill a dude like Rushdie) due to his religious views with bounties on their heads.

Imagine being an avocado addict or a BMW lover. There's going to be people in the world who hate avocados or thinks Mercedes are 10x better cars. Never seen someone killed over it.

But you cant criticize religion too much or else you're branded a hater. I guess as long as only 1% of religious people are crazy enough to do dumb shit, it flies under the radar as good enough.
People are also being radicalized on a massive scale politically, and they're doing the same with a possible large scale boiling point in the next few months or years.

Lone Wolf

People kill over sports rivalries.

Ideologies drive people to do insane things. Religion is apart of that.

Jennings

The Ayatollah must be punching the air somewhere. Is the fatwa still in place on Rushdie's head?
Yes, and it always will be. Only the person who isssued it can rescind it, but that dude is long dead. Iran has since said that although they will no longer enforce it (as of 1998), it's always going to be in place.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
A man born in a country who do not exist anymore( seriously I looked up his wikipedia page and he was born in india when it still was a british state! )got stab probably for things he wrote during the Cold war. Hope he make it

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The worst cancer to infect this earth

Dylan Minnette Yep GIF by Wallows

I hope he recovers, although in all honesty neck stabs -- at least ones you hear about -- tend to often be fatal.

The world is a fucked up place...

HoodWinked

Gold Member
I only really know this because of Curb your Enthusiasm, and because of this, the fatwa felt completely toothless considering how they essentially mocked it. Anyways with people becoming violent over nothing like Will Smith, Chapelle attacker, blm riots, Kavanagh protests, violence has become more and more normalized so makes sense that they'd act now.

curb-salman-rushdie.jpg

ClosBSAS

jesus, i knew he wasnt liked by some ppl but fuck me, stabbed in the neck...tahts a little ttoo much,. i love his shit.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So what makes this guy such a target what did he wrote or do?
In 1988, he wrote a book called satanic verses in which one of the fictional character hallucinates the life of the Muslim Prophet Mohammed. In which, Mohammed initially chooses Hindu dieties instead of the Abrahamic religions (Moses/Jesus) as Islam's background before changing his mind and blaming the error on the devil.

The book is a FICTIONAL novel about two dudes who survive a plane crash and turn into angels and demons. And muslims heard about that one FICTIONAL passage about Mohammed and threw a fit. Thats it. Thats all there is to it. Absolutely insane that people cannot handle something so simple.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here's the assailant.

A New Jersey man with sympathies toward the Iranian government was arrested and accused of stabbing famed novelist Salman Rushdie on Friday, according to law enforcement sources briefed on the investigation.

Matar Hadi, 24, was arrested after he stormed the stage at the Chautauqua Institution in Western New York and allegedly stabbed the author in the neck.

Sources told the post that an initial investigation suggests Hadi is sympathetic to the Iranian regime and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard

newspress-collage-23442309-1660337468497-780x470.jpg

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
In 1988, he wrote a book called satanic verses in which one of the fictional character hallucinates the life of the Muslim Prophet Mohammed. In which, Mohammed initially chooses Hindu dieties instead of the Abrahamic religions (Moses/Jesus) as Islam's background before changing his mind and blaming the error on the devil.

The book is a FICTIONAL novel about two dudes who survive a plane crash and turn into angels and demons. And muslims heard about that one FICTIONAL passage about Mohammed and threw a fit. Thats it. Thats all there is to it. Absolutely insane that people cannot handle something so simple.
Tell me about it, and we see it all the time now in various topics. This mindset is psychopathic no matter what topic it's about, it's a shame so many have lost sight of that.

DKehoe

Hope he's ok. It's horrible that someone has had to live so much of their life with these kind of threats hanging over them.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

When some people have already laid a stake in the sand supporting their religion at all costs (to the death), you're giving way too much credit for those people to think rationally at Rushdie's novel.

I never knew it was about that until you told me.

All the media would tell is he's got a bullseye on his head pissing off Muslims. I thought his book was him ragging on Muslims and Mohammed for 100s of pages, because who the fuck who go hyperspastic at a fictitious story where it seems like he only talks about it here or there...... oh shit. I made the same mistake. Giving people too much credit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Here's the assailant.

A New Jersey man with sympathies toward the Iranian government was arrested and accused of stabbing famed novelist Salman Rushdie on Friday, according to law enforcement sources briefed on the investigation.

Matar Hadi, 24, was arrested after he stormed the stage at the Chautauqua Institution in Western New York and allegedly stabbed the author in the neck.

Sources told the post that an initial investigation suggests Hadi is sympathetic to the Iranian regime and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard

newspress-collage-23442309-1660337468497-780x470.jpg
Fire him into the sun.

Top Bottom