• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Salt and Sanctuary |OT| Salt for the Soul

Arkeband

Banned
Does it get more fun later on? So far I'm not really feeling it.

Maybe I should restart and pick a physical character.

Physical feels the most interactive, what with different "weights" to different weapons and having to really go toe to toe with every boss.

The level design gets really awesome later on, it's what I remember most fondly of the game.

Weiss

Banned
Physical feels the most interactive, what with different "weights" to different weapons and having to really go toe to toe with every boss.

The level design gets really awesome later on, it's what I remember most fondly of the game.

Yah I think I made a mistake picking magic. I feel really weak.

Miletius

I've put all my points into magic so far. Is that bad? When do I start getting new magic spells because it seems so far my basic fireball is kind of crappy.

You get them from by using a stone mage at a sanctuary of your creed. The vendor that appears should have a few spells for you -- more if you level up your devotion to the creed.

As long as you have an overall plan for your build you should be fine.

OmegaZero

Ended up restarting with a Knight. Is that a good class for beginners?

I'm so bad at these kinds of games.

Class doesn't really make a difference outside of starting looks and weapons. The skill tree is what matters and you'll eventually find/make weapons that you enjoy using regardless of what you started with.

The Salt and Santuary subreddit has a comprehensive new players guide with helpful links so I would take a look through that if you're stuck.

Capra

Holy fuck how can I get out of the Pitchwoods. If I knew this area was optional I would never have entered it. Now I'm trapped at a shrine surrounded by bullshit precision platforming on one side and insta-fuck unicorns on the other.

Syril

Holy fuck how can I get out of the Pitchwoods. If I knew this area was optional I would never have entered it. Now I'm trapped at a shrine surrounded by bullshit precision platforming on one side and insta-fuck unicorns on the other.
Did you set up a stone guide anywhere? You can use a calling horn to go back to it from anywhere.

bobawesome

I bought this on ps4/vita still need to play it not sure why i never got to it yet it's freakin dark souls in 2D.

For a solid week all I played was Salt and Sanctuary on the Vita. It's not a perfect port or anything but it's a good way to experience the game. I still grind off and on while sitting in bed.

Capra

Did you set up a stone guide anywhere? You can use a calling horn to go back to it from anywhere.

I ended up baiting the spindlebeasts and getting lucky with my +5 greataxe. Actually didn't know you could use guides that way so thanks, that'll help in the future.

But for now I get to enjoy smashing my head against this RNG Witch boss for another few hours. How the hell do you even dodge this red homing laser shit?

I actually do have what I believe are legitimate gripes with certain design decisions in this game, repeated instances of which are really souring me on what otherwise would be a pretty serviceable 2D SoulsVania experience. Maybe I'll articulate them at a later date or something who knows.

I bought this game awhile back and I guess 2D Dark Souls esque games are not my cup of tea. Even though I fucking love Dead Cells.

I'll try it some other time when I can fully understand it's mechanics. It's not a bad game, per se. But I don't quite care for it's art direction

Weiss

Banned
So I tried Mage some more before giving up and rolling a Paladin.

I'm having more fun now that I can take a few hits, plus I need a shield to survive and not being able to use one at the same time as magic is really annoying, on top of all the ways magic is limited and drains stamina. Just wasn't enjoying myself so hopefully this works for me.

EDIT: Yeah this is working way better. I actually enjoy physical combat compared to how boring it was in Dark Souls.

Syril

But for now I get to enjoy smashing my head against this RNG Witch boss for another few hours. How the hell do you even dodge this red homing laser shit?

I built endurance pretty heavily and relied on a pretty varied collection of tower shields to deal with attacks that were hard to dodge by that point. Red magic attacks should be arcane right? Do you have any shields with good arcane resistance?

Weiss

Banned
Leveled up enough to wield the claymore one handed and now I'm stonewalled at a boss where I can't dodge roll past him and eventually he breaks my guard, and getting there involves trudging through a forest with archers and annoying as fuck blob things.

I don't think this is for me. Oh well. It was only 10 dollars.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Leveled up enough to wield the claymore one handed and now I'm stonewalled at a boss where I can't dodge roll past him and eventually he breaks my guard, and getting there involves trudging through a forest with archers and annoying as fuck blob things.

I don't think this is for me. Oh well. It was only 10 dollars.

What boss? The alchemist? There's a sanctuary right near him...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Kraeken Cyclops.

The alchemist also killed the shit out of me before I tried going someplace else. Queen of Smiles was easy though.

There's another path to the Cyclops that doesn't involve the forest. After you kill the alchemist, continue on to a Sanctuary, and then you go down an easy path to the boss with few enemies.

The Cyclops himself is fairly easy, just dodge-roll "behind" its swings really.

Weiss

Banned
There's another path to the Cyclops that doesn't involve the forest. After you kill the alchemist, continue on to a Sanctuary, and then you go down an easy path to the boss with few enemies.

The Cyclops himself is fairly easy, just dodge-roll "behind" its swings really.

I do that and then I still get hit because my roll stops in his legs or gets caught in the swing.

Capra

Even when you're literally grinding up against the enemy, I'm finding it spotty to roll through them half the time. There are a decent chunk of bosses whose only source of difficulty is the game's reluctance to let you roll through them to avoid their stunlocking blows. The Cyclops was one such guy and I felt like I only beat him through a combination of luck and dealing heavy damage.

Weiss

Banned
So I started again. Managed to beat the Mad Alchemist and the Cyclops (the latter was still bullshit). I'm in the Castle of Storms now and I think I'm getting the hang of things.

Dark Souls is deep but I think it's mechanically simple enough that it provides enough explanation on how to do everything you need to, but I feel like I need a guide with me at all times to play this. It's way too obtuse.

I'm putting basically everything into Strength and Endurance. Is that good?

So I started again. Managed to beat the Mad Alchemist and the Cyclops (the latter was still bullshit). I'm in the Castle of Storms now and I think I'm getting the hang of things.

Dark Souls is deep but I think it's mechanically simple enough that it provides enough explanation on how to do everything you need to, but I feel like I need a guide with me at all times to play this. It's way too obtuse.

I'm putting basically everything into Strength and Endurance. Is that good?

That's what I did. Ran around in Light Armor and destroyed things with my giant swords and hammers.

Weiss

Banned
Oh my god fuck the Emberskulls fuck the giant knights fuck the castle of storms

Okay what do all these Stone things I've been collecting do? I'm still using my starting armor and the Kureimoa III.

OmegaZero

Okay what do all these Stone things I've been collecting do? I'm still using my starting armor and the Kureimoa III.

Offer stone idols to a Santuary in order to summon NPCs to it. The Stone Guide lets you summon a Guide who can warp you to any Santuary you've been to.

Syril

Select Make Offering at a sanctuary of your creed to use them and have the corresponding vendor take up residence in that location. Blacksmiths you're already familiar with if you have an upgraded weapon. Merchants are self-explanatory. Mages and Clerics sell spells and prayers. Alchemists transmute weapons and shields into higher tier items of the same class. The result will be one upgrade level lower than the item you transmuted. Leaders will rank up your creed devotion in exchange for the ears of specific monsters. With each rank all vendors sell new goods, and you can pick an extra renewable item to get when you rest. Guides can teleport you to any sanctuary you've found and sell Calling Horns to teleport back to them from anywhere; it's essentially fast travel if you want it. Sellswords allow another player to join the game using a character from another save file. On the PS4 this has to be from another profile. Salt and items are shared but gold isn't.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Beat the first two bosses and there are so many paths now, really feels like Dark Souls in that regard. I passed through the woods and got to a different exit each time: one with grim reaper type enemies I beat (dead end?), one to the sunken ship and one with a troll/giant. Those trolls are pretty annoying with their super strong poison attack.

My biggest gripe so far is actually the unclear skill tree. I wish they branded or marked weapon skills differently. It takes a while to see where the skill you want is sometimes. I kept looking for a greatsword skill, but it was part of the regular swords -_- I wish I could zoom further in. It's just a chore to work with.

Is there a way to respec later on? I dumped points in dex but with this Kureimoa I want to change to a str character now. Upgraded it twice and that thing does crazy damage. The overhead slice is also useful.

The artstyle was my main turnoff before I started playing but I find it okay ingame... The only bad part are the npc/human designs but you don't see a lot of those anyway.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I swear everytime this gets pushed I'll hope for news about a Switch port -.-

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I swear everytime this gets pushed I'll hope for news about a Switch port -.-

sorry again! :p

Didn't have much trouble with bosses until the dragon at the stormy castle. Even with the best fire resist gear he did too much damage and I wasn't doing enough. So after slamming my head against this wall for a while I considered using a heavier weapon and dropped my Kureimoa. Used a greataxe and got him in a couple of tries. Big advantage was the stun he got after each hit. I did it two-handed and was surprised how quickly he went down. I did lose a lot of time on this boss though. Already reached the one in the Red Hall of Cages and this doesn't seem nearly as hard.

What I like in this game and what sets it apart from DkS, is the movement abilities you get. The ceiling walk and wall jump are pretty cool additions. Maybe it's because the game is in 2D, but I do find myself missing a map more than in DkS proper. But they definitely nailed the design and structure in this.

Finished the game few days ago. It's so awesome. 58 hours in first playthrough. At least 10 hours i spent on grinding salt and leveling. Missed one trophy to get platinum in first attempt. Not bad.

Malio

Finished the game few days ago. It's so awesome. 58 hours in first playthrough. At least 10 hours i spent on grinding salt and leveling. Missed one trophy to get platinum in first attempt. Not bad.

Congrats! It's not an easy game at all. But it's great. :D

Top Bottom