• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 announced: two sizes, new S Pen, and DeX on your laptop

cryptoadam

Banned

I have to say I am a bit disapointed. I am rocking a note 8 and after seeing this have no urge to upgrade especailly at the price (in CAD this thing will probably be around 1500+)

and making a mini-note ? seems counter productive. Would of rathered an even bigger note.

Lots of phones out there are in the Note size as far as screen goes, and TBH I never use the S-Pen.

I think this is a swing and a miss for Samsung.

mekes

I’m not impressed either as a Note 8 owner.

I did try my uncles p30 pro this week and was impressed with that. Mainly the cameras. But the note 10 isn’t even suggesting to me that I should upgrade, what’s the point?

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
The funny thing about the absence of a headphone jack: you could totally see this coming.

When Apple ditched the 3.5mm jack on the iPhone 7, the Samsung fans rolled out in force, swearing up and down that their beloved company would never let them down by doing something as rash as that. Like Samsung was a caring parent that only had their best interests at heart. They were practically setting themselves up for the disappointment when Samsung invariably "betrayed" them.

The Note 10 is a reminder that Samsung is just a company. It used the 3.5mm jack as a marketing tactic and doesn't feel like it owes you squat. It's also a not-so-subtle hint to those "I'll never buy a phone without a headphone jack" types that they'll have to rejoin reality at some point -- they can't just hold on to a phone for six years waiting for the port that will likely never come back.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

I did try my uncles p30 pro this week and was impressed with that. Mainly the cameras. But the note 10 isn’t even suggesting to me that I should upgrade, what’s the point?

Same boat as you. Really no reason to upgrade. What's with Verizon getting a exclusive 5G model?

cryptoadam

Banned

My Note 8 is still super powerful, runs everything great (I am not a gamer) so there really isn't anything pushing me to throw down 1500 CAD for a smaller bezel and cut out.

Flag ship phones are like PC's now where you don't need to upgrade every 2 years. These things are beasts and can last. I can see my Note 8 going until the Note 12 or 13.

Ovek

7Member7
The smaller $950 Note10 comes with a 1080p screen :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Oh and Samsung can suck my dick by making the new Dex app only work with the Note10, its fucking ridiculous.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The funny thing about the absence of a headphone jack: you could totally see this coming.

When Apple ditched the 3.5mm jack on the iPhone 7, the Samsung fans rolled out in force, swearing up and down that their beloved company would never let them down by doing something as rash as that. Like Samsung was a caring parent that only had their best interests at heart. They were practically setting themselves up for the disappointment when Samsung invariably "betrayed" them.

The Note 10 is a reminder that Samsung is just a company. It used the 3.5mm jack as a marketing tactic and doesn't feel like it owes you squat. It's also a not-so-subtle hint to those "I'll never buy a phone without a headphone jack" types that they'll have to rejoin reality at some point -- they can't just hold on to a phone for six years waiting for the port that will likely never come back.

OH GOD! I'm a Samsung Galaxy guy. Is this a hint that the Galaxy 11 will ditch the headphone jack too?

dcll

Banned
No way in hell would I pay these crazy prices for a phone, it looks nice though.

Last edited:
Seem like a downgrade from the Note 9... Which had expandable storage capacity and a headphone jack. SammySung got drunk while making the Note 10. I'd rather get the S10+ or Sony's new Experia 1 phone for the price of a Note 10. In my opinion

mckmas8808

When they released the Galaxy Buds it was the final nail in the coffin for headphone jacks on Samsung phones.

And I'm watching Ozark on Netflix right now on my Sammy phone, using the Galaxy Buds. I dug my own grave. :(

cryptoadam

Banned
That nail is getting pretty close to the coffin for Samsung.

Fold was an epic fail that it couldn't even make it to market

Note series is looking like its going to trash. No innovation. Why buy this over a S10 or any other flagship phone that all have 6.4 inch phones and 90%+ screen to body ratio. And even funnier going with a note Mini LOL. I think we will just see the S-Pen included in the Galexy line eventually at this point.

S line is still kicking, but there is more and more competition in the space. If the S11 isn't a big hit Samsung not looking good.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
OH GOD! I'm a Samsung Galaxy guy. Is this a hint that the Galaxy 11 will ditch the headphone jack too?

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the S11 ditches the headphone jack. If you really value it, you might want to look into an S10.

Manus

It's like a redux of their S6 which stripped so many things away. No thanks I'll keep my Note 8.

I currently have a Note8 and would have been first-ish in line for a 10+ 512GB if they hadn't done silly things like remove the headphone jack. I can live with or without removable storage with that much onboard, I only use a 128GB right now for music and video as it is.

My car has an AUX in but no Bluetooth, and I like to have my phone charging while listening to a podcast or whatever so "Just use the dongle" doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

Deft Beck

I was waiting for the Note 10 and ended up preordering the 10 Plus. Don't want to lose my expandable storage.

Mihos

Gold Member
I bet that the majority of Note users who want to upgrade will go for the Plus. There's really no reason to go for the regular Note 10 because there's so many downgrades (worse screen, same battery, no microSD slot)

They should have just named the smaller Note something else. It doesn't even exist as far as my shopping goes.

dcll

Banned
I currently have a Note8 and would have been first-ish in line for a 10+ 512GB if they hadn't done silly things like remove the headphone jack. I can live with or without removable storage with that much onboard, I only use a 128GB right now for music and video as it is.

My car has an AUX in but no Bluetooth, and I like to have my phone charging while listening to a podcast or whatever so "Just use the dongle" doesn't work for me.
Try one of those aux bluetooth adapters

Ovek

7Member7
Has anybody here tried an AUX bluetooth adapter?

I use the TUNAI Firefly Bluetooth Receiver which is very handy if you have a USB port right next to your AUX in port. Other Bluetooth adapters have a battery and need to be charged which is a pain in the ass.

61tjNCE1jOL._SX522_.jpg

mckmas8808

I use the TUNAI Firefly Bluetooth Receiver which is very handy if you have a USB port right next to your AUX in port. Other Bluetooth adapters have a battery and need to be charged which is a pain in the ass.

61tjNCE1jOL._SX522_.jpg

I might get this for my S10+ LOL! Lets check out the price. I want less cords in my car.

dcll

Banned
What about this? Has great reviews

Newer version

Last edited:
Then I'd lose my dual outlet USB charger which is always in use. One for my phone, one for my non-hard-wired-and-no-I'm-not-going-to-hardwire-it-just-to-not-use-a-plug dashcam and have a robot dick sticking out instead.

Bolivar687

Banned
I think it looks gorgeous but there's just not enough price incentive to trade in, it's nowhere near what they were offering last year.

I'll keep an eye on prices, expecting this to tank hard and fast, but the removal of the headphone jack is a borderline deal breaker.

Pachi72

I miss when the Note phone had new hardware features over the S series. After the Note 4, the Note is basically a S Phone with a Stylus.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

Been using Note 8 and I've been waiting for a change to upgrade to a new phone. Once the pre-order's went live I ordered the Note 10+ but felt a bit hesitant with the lack of AUX and introduction of the hole punch camera. Went to a shop to see how the hole punch look's like in real-life and didn't expect to be too much annoyed by it. Well I was wrong. I think its even worse then the notch. Checked the S10+ (yes the cameras take more space in S10+) side-by-side with the oneplus 7 pro and I cant fathom why samsung went this way. Yes its different but the same time it's worse. Even worse is that the oneplus 7 pro felt more of a premium phone then the S10's. And the 90Hz screen is amazing :messenger_heart:

Long story short I canceled the pre-order and bough a new Note 9 512GB for around 650€($730). Maybe the 11 or 12 brings a screen without the hole and a higher Hz

cryptoadam

Banned
I know it will never happen but I wish a company would just make a phone with no selfie camera. I may be one of those strange weirdos that never takes selfies, but I would trade in the front facing camera in exchange for a bezel less screen and no notch, hole punches, pop up camera's etc...

I am not on IG or Twitter or a thot or someone who is vain that I need to constantly take pictures of myself.

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like the Note 10 Plus is barely any larger than my S10 Plus. I'd have to see one in person.

If they get desperate and do an awesome trade in deal or something down the line, I'd think about trading in for the extra screen space, but it'd have to be an amazing deal.

Ironbunny

I know it will never happen but I wish a company would just make a phone with no selfie camera. I may be one of those strange weirdos that never takes selfies, but I would trade in the front facing camera in exchange for a bezel less screen and no notch, hole punches, pop up camera's etc...

I am not on IG or Twitter or a thot or someone who is vain that I need to constantly take pictures of myself.

I'm on a same boat but there is not enough market for it. The solution is the under screen camera. Oppo will most likely be the first to bring one to the market.

Top Bottom